Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» drive belts
Skyline Drive - Blue Ridge Parkway Part-3 I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Today at 5:43 pm

» New member from Europe
Skyline Drive - Blue Ridge Parkway Part-3 I_icon_minitimeby alex_at Today at 3:55 pm

» New Silverwing owner, thoughts and questions
Skyline Drive - Blue Ridge Parkway Part-3 I_icon_minitimeby alex_at Today at 3:54 pm

» Will my 2002 Silverwing 600 fit in the bed of my F150 Ford with Tailgat up or down?
Skyline Drive - Blue Ridge Parkway Part-3 I_icon_minitimeby tedebr Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:56 pm

» Is this a good price for a Silverwing 2006
Skyline Drive - Blue Ridge Parkway Part-3 I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:19 pm

» What were they thinking?
Skyline Drive - Blue Ridge Parkway Part-3 I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:57 am

» Hello everyone
Skyline Drive - Blue Ridge Parkway Part-3 I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:54 am

» Sidelight Bulbs
Skyline Drive - Blue Ridge Parkway Part-3 I_icon_minitimeby Green7 Mon Mar 25, 2024 5:25 pm

» Voyager trike kit forsale
Skyline Drive - Blue Ridge Parkway Part-3 I_icon_minitimeby Mkdelay12@gmail.com Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:41 pm

» tiny oil leak
Skyline Drive - Blue Ridge Parkway Part-3 I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Sun Mar 24, 2024 1:41 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Skyline Drive - Blue Ridge Parkway Part-3

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
jdeereanton
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
jdeereanton

Number of posts : 1995
Registration date : 2008-12-24

Skyline Drive - Blue Ridge Parkway Part-3 Empty
PostSubject: Skyline Drive - Blue Ridge Parkway Part-3   Skyline Drive - Blue Ridge Parkway Part-3 I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 31, 2009 10:47 am

Link to part 1: https://www.silverwing600.com/rides-and-stories-f10/skyline-drive-blue-ridge-parkway-part-1-t175.htm

Link to part 2: https://www.silverwing600.com/rides-and-stories-f10/skyline-drive-blue-ridge-parkway-part-2-t176.htm

Day 7, May 29, 2008 – Boone, NC to Brevard, NC (190 miles). Well no plan is perfect, but who cares when you get some awesome roads for the detour. Leaving Boone all dry and happy was sort of a surprise. The day was cool but dry so we did wear some rain gear for warmth only. Kim and I had breakfast in the hotel with a couple from upstate NY. They had sold their dairy farm and purchased a pair of motorcycles and were now on their way back home after a long trip. We know that we will encounter a detour at some point close to Asheville so this trip will not be a complete ride on the Parkway – none the less. The rain gear is welcome as it is quite cool with fog as we set out. Bob is parting company with us today and heading back to SC.
Skyline Drive - Blue Ridge Parkway Part-3 08052910
Moses Cone Park
Skyline Drive - Blue Ridge Parkway Part-3 08052911
Near Grandfather Mountain where the road actually is a bridge that goes around a portion of the mountain.

The sky is clearing and as we enter the park area of Linville Falls we see 4 deer crossing the access road. We were all in our rain gear and the trek back to the large falls was up hill and quite a trek so we ended up carrying our stuff. Wish we’d taken it off at the bikes. It was really a nice hike and we needed the walk. We chatted with a couple on a Gold Wing who were very interested in our SilverWings. We enjoyed lunch at a nice restaurant which was sitting on the county lines of 3 counties. They served a very tasty country ham lunch.

We rode the BRP as far south as Mount Mitchell (highest point in NC) where the following picture was taken. (This is not the highest point along the BRP – that was an error on my part.) Skyline Drive - Blue Ridge Parkway Part-3 08052912
At this point we doubled back and found a remote road to take us into Asheville, NC as the BRP was closed just after Mount Mitchell

The rest of the day was pretty much just the ride into Asheville and then onto Brevard, NC. Mostly a cool day with a smattering of misty rain and a smattering of bright sunshine.

Day 8, May 30, 2008 – Brevard, NC to Robbinsville, NC (180 miles). The ride north out of Brevard on NC-276 is really a fun route to take. It is a typical low mountain road with lots of twists and plenty of overhead forest canopies. We bought a picnic lunch for when we stopped for lunch and set out. Rode up NC-276 to the BRP and headed west toward Cherokee, NC. Skyline Drive - Blue Ridge Parkway Part-3 08053010
Arrived at the southern terminus of the BRP and claimed success for that section of the ride. Now the plan was to get to Robbinsville, NC via the Hellbender – NC-28. I’d heard wonderful things about this road and the road did not exactly meet the hype. It was a very nice road but not quite as much fun as the southern section of the road which we’d ridden on our last trip. We got into Robbinsville and checked in to our hotel for a nice rest.

Day 9, May 31, 2008 – Robbinsville, NC to Huntsville, AL (375 miles). This is the last day of our ride and while we are somewhat tired we have really enjoyed the trip. It is a lot of fun travelling with fellow riders. We’ve talked about next year and are exploring the idea of a fixed location with day ride outs. It is a bit of a drag packing up each day. Today we’ll retrace some of our steps fiding out of Robbinsville to Tellico Plains, TN via the Cherohala Skyway. The sun is out and it is a beautiful day. The skyway is as always (even in the rain) a majestic road.
Skyline Drive - Blue Ridge Parkway Part-3 08053110
Back to top Go down
http://kimdaleanton.wordpress.com

PostSubject: Re: Skyline Drive - Blue Ridge Parkway Part-3   Skyline Drive - Blue Ridge Parkway Part-3 I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 10, 2009 7:43 am

Wonderful. Boy I can't wait to plan some trips!!!!!!!! Thanks sunny
Back to top Go down
The Scootist
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
The Scootist

Number of posts : 693
Registration date : 2009-01-23

PostSubject: Re: Skyline Drive - Blue Ridge Parkway Part-3   Skyline Drive - Blue Ridge Parkway Part-3 I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 10, 2009 11:43 am

Wow! Thanks for the fantastic post! What a great trip. I am hoping to get my wife hooked on riding so we can take trips like that. She will ride with me, but so far she hasn't wanted to get her own bike. I think she would love it if she tried it.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Skyline Drive - Blue Ridge Parkway Part-3   Skyline Drive - Blue Ridge Parkway Part-3 I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 10, 2009 4:14 pm

I know what you mean. My husband rode for a season about ten years ago and then told me he really didn't enjoy it...bummer. It is my number one outlet and I just love every minute of it. bounce
Back to top Go down
jdeereanton
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
jdeereanton

Number of posts : 1995
Registration date : 2008-12-24

PostSubject: Re: Skyline Drive - Blue Ridge Parkway Part-3   Skyline Drive - Blue Ridge Parkway Part-3 I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 10, 2009 7:17 pm

I really enjoy riding with Kim, and she very much enjoys riding the scoots on our trips. The downside of the deal is two scoots are twice the cost. Very little to sacrifice in light of how much we enjoy riding.
Back to top Go down
http://kimdaleanton.wordpress.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Skyline Drive - Blue Ridge Parkway Part-3   Skyline Drive - Blue Ridge Parkway Part-3 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Skyline Drive - Blue Ridge Parkway Part-3
Page 1 of 1