Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» New member from Europe
Bolt on Foot Peg Brackets for the Silverwing are coming along! I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Today at 1:54 pm

» New Silverwing owner, thoughts and questions
Bolt on Foot Peg Brackets for the Silverwing are coming along! I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Yesterday at 4:25 pm

» Will my 2002 Silverwing 600 fit in the bed of my F150 Ford with Tailgat up or down?
Bolt on Foot Peg Brackets for the Silverwing are coming along! I_icon_minitimeby tedebr Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:56 pm

» Is this a good price for a Silverwing 2006
Bolt on Foot Peg Brackets for the Silverwing are coming along! I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:19 pm

» What were they thinking?
Bolt on Foot Peg Brackets for the Silverwing are coming along! I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:57 am

» Hello everyone
Bolt on Foot Peg Brackets for the Silverwing are coming along! I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:54 am

» Sidelight Bulbs
Bolt on Foot Peg Brackets for the Silverwing are coming along! I_icon_minitimeby Green7 Mon Mar 25, 2024 5:25 pm

» Voyager trike kit forsale
Bolt on Foot Peg Brackets for the Silverwing are coming along! I_icon_minitimeby Mkdelay12@gmail.com Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:41 pm

» tiny oil leak
Bolt on Foot Peg Brackets for the Silverwing are coming along! I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Sun Mar 24, 2024 1:41 pm

» Low charging
Bolt on Foot Peg Brackets for the Silverwing are coming along! I_icon_minitimeby yammer Sat Mar 23, 2024 1:49 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Bolt on Foot Peg Brackets for the Silverwing are coming along!

Go down 
+8
john123
craigory
KurtPerthWA
JeffR
honda_silver
billc.
dspevack
DennisB
12 posters
AuthorMessage
DennisB
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2778
Registration date : 2008-12-28

Bolt on Foot Peg Brackets for the Silverwing are coming along! Empty
PostSubject: Bolt on Foot Peg Brackets for the Silverwing are coming along!   Bolt on Foot Peg Brackets for the Silverwing are coming along! I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 08, 2010 10:25 am

Hi All,

Been thinking about and getting a set of bolt on foot peg mount brackets, designed for the Silverwing. Since I have a Corbin seat on the scoot that moves me back a little, it's been a challenge to figure out what would work for most of us, to say the least. I'm 6 foot with a 32" inseam that means when my legs are extended out full, they go about an 1 1/2" past the floor boards... So here is the thought. Dan recommended a set of ajustable Kuryakyn. I think this is going to work with the 1" dia clamps only! Or for me, just a stright set of 1" clamps and bubber pegs.
http://www.cruisercustomizing.com/detail.cfm?Category_ID=54&manufacturer_ID=16&product_ID=7744&sblid_name=Kuryakyn_Pilot_Pegs_with_Offset_Mounts_and_Clamps___inch___Pair&model_id=0
Look around you will find them for less money
Bolt on Foot Peg Brackets for the Silverwing are coming along! Ky_4436

http://www.cruisercustomizing.com/detail.cfm?Category_ID=54&manufacturer_ID=16&product_ID=11786&sblid_name=Kuryakyn_Dually_ISO_Pegs_with__inch_Diameter_Clamps__pr_&model_id=0
Or...for me, the 8032 or 8033 with 1" clamp
Bolt on Foot Peg Brackets for the Silverwing are coming along! Image_11785

I need to build up a bracket set to take some photo's. These mounts will need to be power coated, so they will be a time consuming for me. But I think in this area of the scooter, they need to be tough.

Darn Kuryakyn's cost alot in my opinion, but sure look good.

But the bolt on foot peg mount brackets are coming. So hang in there.

Last edited by DennisB on Sun Jul 11, 2010 2:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
dspevack
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
dspevack

Number of posts : 2008
Registration date : 2008-12-27

PostSubject: Re: Bolt on Foot Peg Brackets for the Silverwing are coming along!   Bolt on Foot Peg Brackets for the Silverwing are coming along! I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 08, 2010 11:01 am

Dennis,
If I may contribute two things:

1. I think the frame of the Silverwing in that area is only 7/8 inch diameter.
You are in a better position to check that than I am. If so, then you will have to find an easy way to sleeve the difference and make sure they don't rotate around the frame bar even with 300lbs of pressure (torque) on the peg. I say 300lbs to account for heavy riders putting all their weight on the pegs when using it as leverage to shift position.

2. I upgraded my pegs to kuryakyn cruise boards because they are more comfortable, and one pair of boards offered even has a lighted rim which gives you more side visibility.
Bolt on Foot Peg Brackets for the Silverwing are coming along! 4040-1
Now, if you like I can sell you my old pegs and extensions. Make me an offer and it will cut your costs considerably.

Dan
Back to top Go down
DennisB
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: Bolt on Foot Peg Brackets for the Silverwing are coming along!   Bolt on Foot Peg Brackets for the Silverwing are coming along! I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 08, 2010 5:25 pm

OK, I worked a little on the mount and I think it looks good. I'm not going to be able to weld on it untill this weekend because I will need to pick the correct size drill bit (a hair over 3/4").

I need to add the 1"dia x 1 1/4" long pieces of tube onto the bracket tube just under the front brace where the tube swings up at a 53 degs. These where taken with my cell phone, please excuse the two clamps at each end. The bracket is held on by two 6mm screws. Bolt on Foot Peg Brackets for the Silverwing are coming along! Icon_smile

Bolt on Foot Peg Brackets for the Silverwing are coming along! Peg_mo10

Bolt on Foot Peg Brackets for the Silverwing are coming along! Peg_mo11
Back to top Go down
billc.
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
billc.

Number of posts : 189
Registration date : 2010-02-19

PostSubject: Re: Bolt on Foot Peg Brackets for the Silverwing are coming along!   Bolt on Foot Peg Brackets for the Silverwing are coming along! I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 08, 2010 5:29 pm

Dennis and Dan, Would this foot peg when installed offer some "protection" of the sides of the Swing in case of a fall or accident? thanks billc
Back to top Go down
DennisB
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: Bolt on Foot Peg Brackets for the Silverwing are coming along!   Bolt on Foot Peg Brackets for the Silverwing are coming along! I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 08, 2010 5:47 pm

Hi bill, In case of a real bad spill nothings going to help. It should provide some protection in the case of just being dropped on it's side.
Back to top Go down
billc.
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
billc.

Number of posts : 189
Registration date : 2010-02-19

PostSubject: Re: Bolt on Foot Peg Brackets for the Silverwing are coming along!   Bolt on Foot Peg Brackets for the Silverwing are coming along! I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 08, 2010 5:51 pm

That's what I was thinking...also while you are at it....you might come up with a larger "floorboard" footrest for the passenger (wife Bolt on Foot Peg Brackets for the Silverwing are coming along! Icon_smile ) that was adjustable as to foot angle and maybe "folded up" against the side of the Swing??? billc.
Back to top Go down
dspevack
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
dspevack

PostSubject: Re: Bolt on Foot Peg Brackets for the Silverwing are coming along!   Bolt on Foot Peg Brackets for the Silverwing are coming along! I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 08, 2010 7:53 pm

Now I think I see what you are doing... Tell me if I am correct.

The flat areas act as a wide fulcrum with one end attached to the frame and the other end attached to a one inch diameter tubing.
This distributes the pressure placed on the pegs across a wide area, probably six square inches.

By extending this to its logical ends, as far forward and back as you can provide supports, this is essentially a side guard, similar to the fehling rails.
And with one inch tubing virtually anything mounted to a Harley, can be mounted to these rails.

From the looks of things, it will increase the Silverwing's width by about two inches on each side, but then pegs or floorboards will do that anyway.
Back to top Go down
DennisB
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: Bolt on Foot Peg Brackets for the Silverwing are coming along!   Bolt on Foot Peg Brackets for the Silverwing are coming along! I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 08, 2010 8:25 pm

Dan, You got it. I can't wait to get a set of pegs on her to try it out.
Back to top Go down
DennisB
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: Bolt on Foot Peg Brackets for the Silverwing are coming along!   Bolt on Foot Peg Brackets for the Silverwing are coming along! I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 10, 2010 3:17 pm

OK...I just welded the left (not the right) foot ped mounting bar togeather and painted it. Now I need to find a, not so exspensive set of 1" clamp, foot pegs to mount on the bar. I just did the left side because it's 101F in the driveway today.

Here's a few pictures:

Bolt on Foot Peg Brackets for the Silverwing are coming along! Pegmou10

Bolt on Foot Peg Brackets for the Silverwing are coming along! Pegmou11

Bolt on Foot Peg Brackets for the Silverwing are coming along! Pegmou12
Back to top Go down
dspevack
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
dspevack

PostSubject: Re: Bolt on Foot Peg Brackets for the Silverwing are coming along!   Bolt on Foot Peg Brackets for the Silverwing are coming along! I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 10, 2010 5:17 pm

Dennis,
If you'd like to make me a reasonable offer on these and then just buy the appropriate clamps from Kuryakyn you could probably save some money.
Make me an offer if you are interested.

Dan
Bolt on Foot Peg Brackets for the Silverwing are coming along! Db110
Bolt on Foot Peg Brackets for the Silverwing are coming along! Db210

The only thng I don't have is the two bolts that hold the arm to the clamps.
(They are in use on my bike at the moment)
Also there is a slight weld I had added to insure that the pegs do not lie flat and give the pegs some angle inward toward the center, so your feet don't slide off the pegs.
You could easily remove that if you wanted.
They are switchblade pegs that have the heel support retractable, and the arms
are 5 3/8 bolt center to bolt center.
Back to top Go down
DennisB
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: Bolt on Foot Peg Brackets for the Silverwing are coming along!   Bolt on Foot Peg Brackets for the Silverwing are coming along! I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 10, 2010 5:30 pm

Hi Dan,

Thank's for the great offer, but I think I'll go with a cheeper set of pegs. My budget is only $20.00 for a set. I'm thinking of going to a motorcycle parts swapmeet here in Tulsa tomorrow and see what they have in the way of cheep pegs. Someone here on the forum might be interested. Bolt on Foot Peg Brackets for the Silverwing are coming along! Suspect
Back to top Go down
dspevack
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
dspevack

PostSubject: Re: Bolt on Foot Peg Brackets for the Silverwing are coming along!   Bolt on Foot Peg Brackets for the Silverwing are coming along! I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 10, 2010 5:34 pm

Bolt on Foot Peg Brackets for the Silverwing are coming along! Icon_sad Okay I get it. They are pretty expensive pegs.
I'll have to see what parts are necessary to mate them to your bar, and then offer to price them accordingly.

Dan
Back to top Go down
DennisB
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: Bolt on Foot Peg Brackets for the Silverwing are coming along!   Bolt on Foot Peg Brackets for the Silverwing are coming along! I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 11, 2010 1:46 pm

Well, I just got back from the Motorcycle swap meet in Tulsa and was disapointed. Just a bunch of old Harley stuff and no foot pegs with 1" clamps. When I pulled in parking lot, there parked by the enterance was a stock 07 Silverwing. When I was leaving the feller that owned it (Jerry) came out and we had a chance to talk a little. Like all of us, He just loves his scooter.

I've been looking at foot pegs on ebay and I might get a set of these, $27.00 free shipping:

Bolt on Foot Peg Brackets for the Silverwing are coming along! Pegs10

Or maybe I'll keep looking and go to some of the local bike shops.
Back to top Go down
honda_silver
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
honda_silver

Number of posts : 2453
Registration date : 2008-12-23

PostSubject: Re: Bolt on Foot Peg Brackets for the Silverwing are coming along!   Bolt on Foot Peg Brackets for the Silverwing are coming along! I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 11, 2010 2:39 pm

dspevack wrote:
If you'd like to make me a reasonable offer on these and then just buy the appropriate clamps from Kuryakyn you could probably save some money.

How adjustable are they??

As I recall they can pivot when not in use ... is that correct?
Back to top Go down
JeffR
Site Admin
JeffR

Number of posts : 2596
Registration date : 2008-12-19

PostSubject: Re: Bolt on Foot Peg Brackets for the Silverwing are coming along!   Bolt on Foot Peg Brackets for the Silverwing are coming along! I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 11, 2010 3:18 pm

Dennis,

While looking at your set up I also noticed that these would also protect the SWing some if it were knocked over. Mine fell over once and scratched the piece where your system covers. It might be another marketing point to consider when you start selling these. I will buy these when you get them ready because others that have them, the people I ride with that ride B650's, say it keeps them cooler too since the air goes up your legs.
Back to top Go down
https://www.silverwing600.com
dspevack
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
dspevack

PostSubject: Re: Bolt on Foot Peg Brackets for the Silverwing are coming along!   Bolt on Foot Peg Brackets for the Silverwing are coming along! I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 11, 2010 3:52 pm

honda_silver wrote:
dspevack wrote:

How adjustable are they??

As I recall they can pivot when not in use ... is that correct?

Yes. The arm has a gear-like interlocking system, so you loosen the bolt and move the arm to the angle you want, like the arm is a hand on a clock. Then tighten the bolt. On the other end where the peg is, the pegs have a set screw for the same clock style rotation, to match the peg angle to how your feet sit on the peg when its down.
Also they Fold up vertically when not in use, and the switchblade heel rests you can kick up or down with your foot. In the interest of full disclosure, I want to repeat that I had a weld added so that they could not go down the full 90 degrees, parallel to the ground, but rather would maintain a slight tilt inward, so your foot would not slide off the end of the peg.

Dan
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Side Rails   Bolt on Foot Peg Brackets for the Silverwing are coming along! I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 12, 2010 11:18 pm

Dennis, it's obvious you're onto a good idea - did I see in another post that you're gonna start selling these? I'll bet you make a few bucks on the side if you do.

My question for you is, exactly how are you clamping the side rails onto the scooter's floorboard? Not only is the floorboard anything but flat...how are you getting metal (I presume) clamps to stay on the plastic floorboard and have confidence the plastic won't break?

Thanks,

Jim
Back to top Go down
DennisB
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: Bolt on Foot Peg Brackets for the Silverwing are coming along!   Bolt on Foot Peg Brackets for the Silverwing are coming along! I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 12, 2010 11:26 pm

Hey Jim,

Welcome to the forum. Glad you decided to join in.

The brackets get attached to the scooters frame work through 2 6mm threaded holes and 7/8" dia spacers. The Silverwing has needed more aluminum spacers that you shake a stick at. They seem to work on paper but if I have any problems, I'll scap the idea.
Back to top Go down
DennisB
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: Bolt on Foot Peg Brackets for the Silverwing are coming along!   Bolt on Foot Peg Brackets for the Silverwing are coming along! I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 15, 2010 9:29 am

Hi All,

I gave it a good go, but no dice...Just to much flexing in that area. Weld on is still the way to go.

Any good weld shop will be able to do the job for you. All you need to do is remove the 2 bottom skirts and ride it over to the welder. Remember to paint the weld when it cools.
Back to top Go down
honda_silver
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
honda_silver

Number of posts : 2453
Registration date : 2008-12-23

PostSubject: Re: Bolt on Foot Peg Brackets for the Silverwing are coming along!   Bolt on Foot Peg Brackets for the Silverwing are coming along! I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 15, 2010 9:59 am

DennisB wrote:
I gave it a good go, but no dice...Just to much flexing in that area. Weld on is still the way to go.

Are you going to weld a bar into place, so that you can still add footpegs?? If so I would still be interested in pictures and details.
Back to top Go down
DennisB
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: Bolt on Foot Peg Brackets for the Silverwing are coming along!   Bolt on Foot Peg Brackets for the Silverwing are coming along! I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 15, 2010 10:49 am

Just something to remember... Bolt on Foot Peg Brackets for the Silverwing are coming along! Icon_idea If you ran any power wires through the support frames in the running boards , you will need to pull them out before you have the welding done and run them back through when your done.

Just thought I would mension that. Bolt on Foot Peg Brackets for the Silverwing are coming along! Suspect
Back to top Go down
dspevack
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
dspevack

PostSubject: Re: Bolt on Foot Peg Brackets for the Silverwing are coming along!   Bolt on Foot Peg Brackets for the Silverwing are coming along! I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 15, 2010 11:17 am

Dennis,

Maybe if you found out from TWTouring how the Fehling rail system attaches to the bike, it might give you an idea or two?

Dan
Back to top Go down
KurtPerthWA
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
KurtPerthWA

Number of posts : 1709
Registration date : 2009-01-19

PostSubject: Re: Bolt on Foot Peg Brackets for the Silverwing are coming along!   Bolt on Foot Peg Brackets for the Silverwing are coming along! I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 15, 2010 12:10 pm

Don't forget to disconnect battery, and place earth clamp as close as possible to where you are welding. YES I have seen a motor where all the parts arced themselves to each other after the "welder" used the cooling fins for earth...

IF gas welding,disregard this reminder
Back to top Go down
craigory
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
craigory

Number of posts : 120
Registration date : 2011-06-25

PostSubject: Re: Bolt on Foot Peg Brackets for the Silverwing are coming along!   Bolt on Foot Peg Brackets for the Silverwing are coming along! I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 13, 2011 1:21 pm

Hi Dennis,
I came across this old thread and I was wondering if your footrest mounting bars have come along any further. I'm thinking of multiple ways to mount footrests, and right now your mounts are in the lead. Thanks!
Back to top Go down
DennisB
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: Bolt on Foot Peg Brackets for the Silverwing are coming along!   Bolt on Foot Peg Brackets for the Silverwing are coming along! I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 13, 2011 7:59 pm

Hi Craig,

Gave it a try, but no deal. Bolt-on just did not work. Weld on is the way to go. cheers
Back to top Go down
john123
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
john123

Number of posts : 133
Registration date : 2010-02-21

PostSubject: Pegs   Bolt on Foot Peg Brackets for the Silverwing are coming along! I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 14, 2011 9:47 am

Good Morning Dennis

I would love to show you a picture of my best friend that lives in Texas. You could be his twin. Or he yours.

I am also looking forward to seeing detailed in stallion when you are done. Thanks and if you need to get away from the heat and fires come on over to Cal. No fires in Santa Barbara yet. affraid

Back to top Go down
DennisB
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: Bolt on Foot Peg Brackets for the Silverwing are coming along!   Bolt on Foot Peg Brackets for the Silverwing are coming along! I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 14, 2011 8:32 pm

I hope to get another Silverwing some day. I was raised in S. California, SFV, Northridge.
Back to top Go down
johnd
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Number of posts : 543
Registration date : 2010-02-01

PostSubject: Re: Bolt on Foot Peg Brackets for the Silverwing are coming along!   Bolt on Foot Peg Brackets for the Silverwing are coming along! I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 05, 2012 9:22 pm

Nice try D. Pegs are in my near future, Thanks to you, I will not try and bolt on the units as I thought originally.
Back to top Go down
model28a
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
model28a

Number of posts : 2085
Registration date : 2010-02-03

PostSubject: Re: Bolt on Foot Peg Brackets for the Silverwing are coming along!   Bolt on Foot Peg Brackets for the Silverwing are coming along! I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 05, 2012 10:01 pm

This is a re post that I put in the wrong post before. Embarassed

If you take the side kick panel off there is a solid sub-frame you could weld or drill and tap. In this link you can see a crude job But, with some refinement, it looks like it could work.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JtYkEA3HK-4&feature=youtu.be
Hope this helps.

Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 187
Registration date : 2009-11-27

PostSubject: Re: Bolt on Foot Peg Brackets for the Silverwing are coming along!   Bolt on Foot Peg Brackets for the Silverwing are coming along! I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 06, 2012 2:14 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JtYkEA3HK-4&feature=youtu.be

To me it does not seem comfortable.
Is it worth it?

But to each his opinion.
Back to top Go down
http://edho@operamail.com
model28a
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
model28a

Number of posts : 2085
Registration date : 2010-02-03

PostSubject: Re: Bolt on Foot Peg Brackets for the Silverwing are coming along!   Bolt on Foot Peg Brackets for the Silverwing are coming along! I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 06, 2012 1:22 pm

Not for me ether, just passing the info along. Some tall people seem to like them.
Back to top Go down
joncallihan
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 1025
Registration date : 2009-02-16

PostSubject: Re: Bolt on Foot Peg Brackets for the Silverwing are coming along!   Bolt on Foot Peg Brackets for the Silverwing are coming along! I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 06, 2012 5:20 pm

They just don't look right without ape hangers. :flower:
Back to top Go down
http://www.joncallihan.com
johnd
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Number of posts : 543
Registration date : 2010-02-01

PostSubject: Foot mounts   Bolt on Foot Peg Brackets for the Silverwing are coming along! I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 16, 2012 8:00 pm

Big D. Do you still have the pegs and can I mount these to the main frame. I bought some form J.C Whitney yesterday but like yours more.
I know I will have to make a hole in the tupperwhere and will have the crying towel ready but I am ready. affraid
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Bolt on Foot Peg Brackets for the Silverwing are coming along!   Bolt on Foot Peg Brackets for the Silverwing are coming along! I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Bolt on Foot Peg Brackets for the Silverwing are coming along!
Page 1 of 1