Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

Hi, Welcome to the Silverwing 600 Forum. We ask that you be polite and also introduce yourself on your 1st post. The members are friendly and helpful so just have fun. There is www.maxi-scoots.com site that is geared for all scooters and motorcycles.

HomeGallerySearchRegisterLog in
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Aftermarket exhaust.
Looking to buy a Silver Wing I_icon_minitimeby Leena H Today at 4:10 am

» Beef up exhaust sound for Silver Wing?
Looking to buy a Silver Wing I_icon_minitimeby oldwingguy Yesterday at 9:42 pm

» Honda Integra engine noise
Looking to buy a Silver Wing I_icon_minitimeby MrHyde Yesterday at 7:01 am

» Belt Squeal?
Looking to buy a Silver Wing I_icon_minitimeby Mech 1 twa Wed Jan 22, 2020 8:02 pm

» hello from lebanon
Looking to buy a Silver Wing I_icon_minitimeby abdullahb Wed Jan 22, 2020 12:59 pm

» Play the is that me game :)
Looking to buy a Silver Wing I_icon_minitimeby GoonerKev Wed Jan 22, 2020 4:00 am

» Givi Windshield with vent, Silver in color
Looking to buy a Silver Wing I_icon_minitimeby kupid Mon Jan 20, 2020 8:12 pm

» Seat latch jammed
Looking to buy a Silver Wing I_icon_minitimeby Cosmic_Jumper Mon Jan 20, 2020 5:54 am

» T-Mode Switch
Looking to buy a Silver Wing I_icon_minitimeby Mighty Mouse Mon Jan 20, 2020 1:45 am

» Teeth Marks On Front Pulley
Looking to buy a Silver Wing I_icon_minitimeby Sepp Sun Jan 19, 2020 5:55 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Looking to buy a Silver Wing

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Delray
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Delray

Number of posts : 233
Registration date : 2018-07-07

Looking to buy a Silver Wing Empty
PostSubject: Looking to buy a Silver Wing   Looking to buy a Silver Wing I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 28, 2019 9:37 am

I've owned and loved 3 Silver Wings and I'm looking for a 4th as a second bike. Not looking for long tours, just local errands and short fun rides ... a little break from the Oh. So. Serious. vibe of my BMW C650 GT (which I love, love, love).

NOT looking for fixer-uppers or project bikes. AM looking for good looking, well maintained, preferably late model.

My ideal bike is a Silver Wing a member here sold recently in Texas, a 2013 with 2k miles. He was asking $2900 but I don't know how much he sold it for. I'd prefer a regional seller so I can travel from South Florida and ride it home. Regional pretty much means Southeastern U.S.

I'm in no rush. I want a good deal on a good bike and I will give it a great home with lots of TLC.

Thanks.
Back to top Go down
gustav
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 81
Registration date : 2019-04-13

PostSubject: Re: Looking to buy a Silver Wing   Looking to buy a Silver Wing I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 30, 2019 7:06 pm

Mike, glad you like your BMW, mine was a 2013, think they didn't have them well sorted then. Liking the SilverWing much, much, much more. So much so that I no longer have any BMW's! 2013 SilverWing, 1981 gl 500 Silverwing , 2019 Indian Scout "60". Have finally achieved perfect motorcycle harmony. Happy New Year, Paul.
Back to top Go down
Delray
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Delray

PostSubject: Re: Looking to buy a Silver Wing   Looking to buy a Silver Wing I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 30, 2019 7:30 pm

"Liking the SilverWing much, much, much more. So much so that I no longer have any BMW's! 2013 SilverWing, 1981 gl 500 Silverwing ... Have finally achieved perfect motorcycle harmony"

Very cool that you have the newer Silver Wing alongside the original. The latter is one butt-ugly bike but it definitely looks like a classic. Indians are cool, too. I remember drooling over a dark green one at a dealer a few months ago.

I can't imagine being without the BMW now. It's so nice when you find the bike that's "you." The 650 GT is definitely me. I've had it for three months and still go out to the garage to stare at it. I love the thing.

Happy New Year to you. And to all you crazy Silver Wing riders.

Back to top Go down
EvilTwin
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
EvilTwin

Number of posts : 159
Registration date : 2017-05-30

PostSubject: Re: Looking to buy a Silver Wing   Looking to buy a Silver Wing I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 31, 2019 5:31 pm

Hi Mike

I had my Swing up for sale earlier this year, but never got an strong leads on it and have since let the online ads lapse.  My intention was to wait till next Spring and list it again and see what happens.  It's a 2009 with about 9K miles, and is in nice shape overall.  It's not around the corner but is in the SE part of the country near Norfolk VA.  I still enjoy riding it and selling it comes with mixed emotions, but I have two other bikes as well and I wouldn't mind freeing up some of the space in the garage.

I've got my own BMW that I got earlier this year, but its a different ride from the Swing.  It's a R1200RT and its the bike I generally take out on the weekends for the longer rides out to the back roads. It's a really nice bike on longer distances and open roads and it complements the others in terms of what I use it for.  It's not my favorite for commuting, which is where the Swing shines.

If you are at all interested, shoot me a PM and we can talk.  Here are a couple of pix along with the rest of the fleet.

Bob

Looking to buy a Silver Wing GOhLPaE

Looking to buy a Silver Wing 1SXQ8wh

Looking to buy a Silver Wing FRFjJV6

Looking to buy a Silver Wing X9sAPAG

Looking to buy a Silver Wing BjNhbLT
Back to top Go down
Delray
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Delray

PostSubject: Re: Looking to buy a Silver Wing   Looking to buy a Silver Wing I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 31, 2019 6:25 pm

Bob,

That's a great lookin' fleet. What is the behemoth on the far right with the dark side tire?

I had a 2002 BMW R1150R. Loved it. I think your R1200RT is about as good as bikes get, so kudos on that choice. As much as I admire them, though, I'll never go back to shifting.

The Wing sounds and looks nice and thanks for the pics. I'm sure you've taken excellent care of it. I love the red. I bought my second 2003 largely because it came in Apple Glory Red (and it had a Corbin seat).

Norfolk is on the outer fringes of where I'll go to pick it up, BUT in this case I'd be highly motivated because I could tour some old stomping grounds ... I spent 3rd through 7th grade in Little Creek at Bayside Elementary.

I'm somewhat tempted but it's kind of an over-the-top distance and effort for me to bring home a 2009. It you had a deal like BashOn's, 2013 with 2k miles for $2900, I might get out of my easy chair and find a way to get there.

I thought long and hard about buying that one but the cost of getting it or shipping it added about $750 either way. Same thing applies here. I could put it on Amtrak's Auto Train for less but the weather is too dicey for that.

I kick myself: I sold a 2012 Wing in showroom shape for $2900. when I picked up the BMW. Why-oh-why did I not keep that?!! (oh wait, I know. I was married then! I had to do sh#t like that! ;o)
Back to top Go down
EvilTwin
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
EvilTwin

PostSubject: Re: Looking to buy a Silver Wing   Looking to buy a Silver Wing I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 31, 2019 7:16 pm

The bike with the big rear tire is a Can Am Spyder RT.  It's a 3 wheeler, I use it for our TOAD when we go places in the RV. It's the only bike my wife will ride on with me.  Can't say I blame her, it's more like driving a car than riding a bike, but it has tons of storage on it and makes for a good commuter.

Looking to buy a Silver Wing U0X7sVj

Looking to buy a Silver Wing WXPT3DB

I think 2900 would be about the cheapest I would let it go for.  I had a couple of people wanting it for 2500, but I thought that was too low and most of the other Swing's listed were in the 3k and up range.  This one is in very good shape,  I changed coolant and brake fluid a few months ago.  Tires were new at about 5K around 2 years ago.  Probably needs an oil change, but otherwise it's ready to go.  I ride them all, all year long, so they never get put up for Winter.  The Swing and the Spyder get the commute duty, about 15 miles one way maybe 1-2 trips each week when the weather is passable.

If you feel like a trip, shoot me a line.  

Bob
Back to top Go down
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2508
Registration date : 2009-07-17

PostSubject: Re: Looking to buy a Silver Wing   Looking to buy a Silver Wing I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 01, 2020 3:02 pm

Hi Delray! I had my C650GT for about five years. It was a great performer. I finally sold it for my third Silverwing scooter because it's so much easier working on the Silverwing. Parts are much easier and less expensive than anything from BMW and it seems to be impossible to get a shop manual for anything with a BMW brand on it.

My Silverwing isn't quite the performer as the BMW which has larger wheels and a bit more powerful engine but the Silverwing is a well proven machine and seems to have fewer bugs compared to the BMW.

I'll ride this Silverwing for a few more years knowing I won't have any problems with it that I can't handle. It's plenty fine for a one or two day trip for me, is just about as bullet proof as a vehicle can be and a gem in traffic compared to manual shifting bikes. I've tried to swear off bikes in the last few years but just can't seem to quit.
Back to top Go down
Delray
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Delray

PostSubject: Re: Looking to buy a Silver Wing   Looking to buy a Silver Wing I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 01, 2020 8:08 pm

"I had my C650GT for about five years ... it's so much easier working on the Silverwing. Parts are much easier and less expensive than anything from BMW and it seems to be impossible to get a shop manual for anything with a BMW brand on it."

I recall pics of your red C650GT. Pretty bike. I love the red. I loved the white one I had for three weeks before I sold it for $1,000 profit and bought a black '17 with a year of warranty left. Not having a warranty on a BMW kept me up at night, much like the Burgman 650's "lifetime" belt made me nervous when I owned that. Definitely can't beat a Silver Wing for easy maintenance and low cost repair.

I was lucky to acquire a DVD of the C650GT service manual for $14 from a seller in the U.K. I started out 2020 this morning by changing the brake fluid -- piece o' cake with my Pittsburgh vacuum pump. I ordered coolant and oil and I'm eager to tackle those jobs. The how-to's I've looked at seem pretty simple; the manual is written with typical German efficiency and thoroughness. What's different is I can't go to YouTube and find 37 videos on how to change a Silver Wing belt. For the C650GT it's more like one video from a guy in the Czech Republic.

"I've tried to swear off bikes in the last few years but just can't seem to quit."

I quit drinking alcohol. I quit smoking. I quit eating meat. But no way in heck am I going to quit riding, or go back to a bike I have to shift. To paraphrase Charlton Heston about guns, "I'll stop riding when you pry my cold, dead hand off the throttle."

So you enjoy that Wing and ride it for years! I think it's the most fun you can have with your clothes on.
Back to top Go down
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: Looking to buy a Silver Wing   Looking to buy a Silver Wing I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 01, 2020 11:48 pm

Oops, doubled post. Mad

Last edited by exavid on Sun Jan 05, 2020 7:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: Looking to buy a Silver Wing   Looking to buy a Silver Wing I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 01, 2020 11:50 pm

We do have a few similarities. For me it's no more airplanes, no more sailboats. Since I left Alaska there's been no more hunting and not much fishing. But I've had motor scooters, motorbikes, scooters and motorcycles since 1957. I still do a bit of competitive pistol shooting but scores are slowly dropping due to the damages to me caused by too many birthdays.

I do have a quaff of a pint of Alaskan Amber ale from Juneau now and then and try my best to decimate the swine, cattle, birds and fish, I think I'll be chomping on a rare steak the day they haul me off to the knackers yard.

BTW I tried a Corbin seat on my 650GT but it didn't fit as well as the OEM. That surprised me since I'd installed a Corbin on a GL1500 and on a previous SilverWing scooter which fit perfectly and looked great. Easy on the rump as well.
Back to top Go down
Delray
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Delray

PostSubject: Re: Looking to buy a Silver Wing   Looking to buy a Silver Wing I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 02, 2020 2:26 am

"BTW I tried a Corbin seat on my 650GT but it didn't fit as well as the OEM."

My OEM seat closes perfectly with a solid BMW "thunk." I love that.

I have resisted the Siren's Song of the Corbin thus far for three reasons. 1) The stock seat is really comfortable, and I am oh-so-close to being able to stretch out my legs fully, which feels really good on long rides. If I sit up nice and high, like I should, instead of leaning back like it's a La-Z-Boy, I CAN stretch out fully.

2) My Schuberth XL helmet fits perfectly under the stock seat, and I'm wary it wouldn't with the Corbin. As gorgeous as Corbin seats are, the undersides always seem to be a sh#tshow of irregular, unfinished surfaces.

3) Corbin wants $893. for the seat + $62.50 tax + $65 one-time shipping = $1,020.50, which inspires the reaction, "Are you friggin' kidding me?"

They offered to take $100 off the price if I didn't have the heating element added, which made me feel insulted (Wing and Burgman seats are $400 less without heat ... c'mon, that's all the discount you can give me?!).

For $100, I would have kept the heated seat. Temps in South Florida plunged to a bone-chilling 56 degrees yesterday, and the toasty seat and hand grips felt amazing. I actually didn't know how to use them; there is an Automatic setting, a 50% setting and a 100% setting that's almost too hot to handle.
Back to top Go down
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: Looking to buy a Silver Wing   Looking to buy a Silver Wing I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 02, 2020 3:01 pm

Heated seats and grips are great. I had a pair of Gerbings heated gloves which were excellent. The gloves heated the back of ones hands while the grips heated the palms nicely. Top that off with the Gerbings heated jacket liner and I was comfortable at 28F in the mountains near here.

But that was a few years ago and these days if it's cold I'll take the car.
Back to top Go down
Delray
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Delray

PostSubject: Re: Looking to buy a Silver Wing   Looking to buy a Silver Wing I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 02, 2020 5:22 pm

Interesting options in my search for a second (just-for-fun) bike ....

Which would you choose?

Both in like-new condition. Both original owners (both older). Both bikes are dealer-serviced, garage-kept and already negotiated to the best price, i.e., the owner won't go a penny lower.

1. 2013 Honda Silver Wing. Black. 7,500 miles.

2. 2016 BMW C650 Sport. White. 2,200 miles.

I have service manuals for both and maintenance is easy, at least the work I do ... brake fluid, pads, coolant, engine and gear oil, plugs, belt, air and CVT filters ... the BMW has a chain that has to be inspected/probably changed at 24,000 miles, and I won't touch that.

The Sport version of the BMW has fewer bells and whistles than my GT ... no heated grips or seat or electronic windscreen. Comes with a white BMW rack and top case. The Honda has a GIVI rack and top case.

If you had $4,000 and could pick either bike, which would you choose?
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 3279
Registration date : 2009-06-12

PostSubject: Re: Looking to buy a Silver Wing   Looking to buy a Silver Wing I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 02, 2020 6:49 pm

Delray wrote:
Interesting options in my search for a second (just-for-fun) bike ....

Which would you choose?

Both in like-new condition. Both original owners (both older). Both bikes are dealer-serviced, garage-kept and already negotiated to the best price, i.e., the owner won't go a penny lower.

1. 2013 Honda Silver Wing. Black. 7,500 miles.

2. 2016 BMW C650 Sport. White. 2,200 miles.

I have service manuals for both and maintenance is easy, at least the work I do ... brake fluid, pads, coolant, engine and gear oil, plugs, belt, air and CVT filters ... the BMW has a chain that has to be inspected/probably changed at 24,000 miles, and I won't touch that.

The Sport version of the BMW has fewer bells and whistles than my GT ... no heated grips or seat or electronic windscreen. Comes with a white BMW rack and top case. The Honda has a GIVI rack and top case.

If you had $4,000 and could pick either bike, which would you choose?

Wait a minute... You’re asking the Silverwing forum which should you choose, a Beemer or a Silverwing? Sheesh!...

What did the BMW forum say?
Back to top Go down
Delray
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Delray

PostSubject: Re: Looking to buy a Silver Wing   Looking to buy a Silver Wing I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 02, 2020 7:01 pm

"What did the BMW forum say?"

Didn't even bother to post there. It's a ghost town. Deader than Dick Dull's deceased brother David (I paraphrase from Tom Wolfe, "The Right Stuff").
Back to top Go down
gustav
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 81
Registration date : 2019-04-13

PostSubject: Re: Looking to buy a Silver Wing   Looking to buy a Silver Wing I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 02, 2020 7:48 pm

SilverWing. There is a reason the BMW scooter forum is a ghost town. Just my opinion.  Paul
Back to top Go down
EvilTwin
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
EvilTwin

PostSubject: Re: Looking to buy a Silver Wing   Looking to buy a Silver Wing I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 03, 2020 1:34 pm

Just for grins I stopped by the local BMW dealer yesterday.  I've never seen one of the bmw scoots in there and I don't think I ever will.  I asked previously and was told that they just dont sell.  He did have a bunch of the 310's, the R and GS versions that sell for around 5k.  Nice little bike, but not my cup of tea.  

He did have a used 2015 Ducati Diavel Carbon with about 1000 miles on it for around 10500.  That was what I went to have a sit on.  It actually seemed to fit me well enough.  It's their version of a cruiser, but with mid controls.  ONLY 162 HP,  what could possibly go wrong on a bike like that?  

I also sat on a F750GS which is one of their adventure bikes and I was able to flat foot it.  Sales guy said it was a low chassis.   Wouldn't mind taking one of those home, except for the price.

I can see wanting a second or a third bike, but I can't see just getting another scooter.  Different bikes for different moods.
Back to top Go down
Delray
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Delray

PostSubject: Re: Looking to buy a Silver Wing   Looking to buy a Silver Wing I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 03, 2020 1:57 pm

"I can see wanting a second or a third bike, but I can't see just getting another scooter."

While I admit to occasional daydreams about owning a big, serious mother like your R1200RT, I will never shift a bike again. I think the automatic transmission is light years ahead of manual gears as far as reaction time, and I will never surrender that advantage, especially not in the crazy traffic of South Florida.

I looked at a new Honda Gold Wing with automatic transmission. That even has a reverse gear. Fantastic machine. But as I said to the salesman, "I can buy a Silver Wing for $2,000 and extend my legs fully for comfort. Why would I pay $30,000 for a bike that doesn't let me do that?" (without adding foot pegs, and for $30k, I'm NOT paying to add foot pegs, especially when the massive, sideways-mounted engine would keep my legs splayed out anyway)
Back to top Go down
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: Looking to buy a Silver Wing   Looking to buy a Silver Wing I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 03, 2020 4:01 pm

I'd go for the Silverwing just for the difference in bikes. I didn't like the Sport mostly because of it's limited carrying capacity in that folding section of the underseat storage. One other possible downside would be that whatever problem the GT has might be echoed in the Sport. With the Silver Wing you'd have different problems at least. The Silver Wing has been around much longer than the BMW scooters and is well proven with few problems.

Each has it's strengths, if it were me I'd go for the Honda just for their differences. I guy needs a bit of variety. Not to mention there are a lot more sources for Honda parts. Cheaper too.

You are right about the GW, most riders end up putting riding pegs on them. I did. BMW motorcycles have the same problem with many of their bikes. Hard to put an opposed engine on a motorcycle without making some compromises.
Back to top Go down
EvilTwin
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
EvilTwin

PostSubject: Re: Looking to buy a Silver Wing   Looking to buy a Silver Wing I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 03, 2020 4:36 pm

If an auto is a must have, you could also look at a ctx 700 or nc 700 with the dct.  You're not going to get one for 2 grand, but I have seen the ctx bikes go for around 4-5 with that tranny and fairly low miles.  Both bikes are going to weigh less than a silverwing which at 550 is no lightweight.  The ctx is more of a cruiser vibe with really low seat and forward controls.  The NC is considered an adventure bike,  though to me it seems like more of a naked commuter bike.  

As far as opposed engines being a compromise,  I dont agree.  The 1200 on my bike is as smooth and powerful as I could ever want.  BMW engines are built to run and run well.  And while the bike may seem big with the tupperware, it weighs in about the same as the swing.   If I had to fault anything on it, it would be the seat height, which is still a bit higher than like, but I dont use it for commuting duty, so I can deal with it.

You might also want to look at Can Am's newest offer, the Ryker.  It's an auto as well and fairly compact.  Or even one of the larger Spyder models, most seem to come with the semi auto tranny so all you have to do is upshift with your thumb.  Just dont look for high MPG on those and you wont be disappointed.
Back to top Go down
Delray
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Delray

PostSubject: Re: Looking to buy a Silver Wing   Looking to buy a Silver Wing I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 03, 2020 5:28 pm

"I didn't like the Sport mostly because of it's limited carrying capacity in that folding section of the underseat storage."

I hate that folding thing. But this Sport comes with a big BMW top case. I'm seeing it Sunday morning. Never actually seen a Sport in person. I know it's 25 lbs. less than the GT and the Sport doesn't have a buttrest, so I might be able to stretch out my legs fully. Sitting on it and riding will tell me if I love it. If not, then my decision is easy; I'm back in Wing world, because I'm not buying a Burgman bathtub and that's the short list of bikes that fit my needs.

"I'd go for the Honda just for their differences."

Great logic. I get it. I go back and forth. Honda is easy, cheap, reliable, familiar, nimble, fast, fun, I've already done every maintenance job half a dozen times ... BUT ... it's essentially 2002 technology, has the bizzy-buzz-buzz sound + vibration, doesn't offer the tank-like build or ride of the BMW. Like I said, I'll be a lot closer to a decision when I sit on the Sport on Sunday morning.

"If an auto is a must have, you could also look at a 700 or nc 700 with the dct ... You might also want to look at Can Am's newest offer, the Ryker."

I'd ride a 3-wheeler to save my life, but that's about it. As for the Honda bikes; I just can't deal with the inability to stretch out my legs. A normal riding position with legs down is HUGELY uncomfortable. It makes me miserable. I really need to stretch out. Not every second, but regularly and reliably.
Back to top Go down
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: Looking to buy a Silver Wing   Looking to buy a Silver Wing I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 03, 2020 11:44 pm

I don't fault BMW engines though I prefer the four cylinder K series. I've owned two K1100LTs. My brother had a couple of the opposed twins. We used to make a couple long road trips each year, he on his R1100RT and me with my Honda GL1500. We traded off a few times but I thought I'd have to shoot him to get my Goldwing back. I didn't find his bike to have much leg room either. I put rider's pegs on my GL's crash bars which gave me a comfortable seating position for hours on end. In a hot part of the trip we got caught on a couple long grades with slow traffic where his air-cooled bike overheated and we had to stop to cool it off. My Goldwing's engine temp never went up past it's normal reading. I also preferred the greater torque and smoothness of the Honda's six cylinders. Lots smoother than his twin. More torque too.
Back to top Go down
Delray
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Delray

PostSubject: Re: Looking to buy a Silver Wing   Looking to buy a Silver Wing I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 05, 2020 1:58 pm

Well, Silver Wing it is, for now. The BMW C650 Sport was a big disappointment. After asking and receiving assurance that the bike was "like new," OH. BY. THE. WAY it's been dropped AND has some God-awful stain on the gorgeous white paint on the front left faring from something that "dripped from the garage ceiling." Man, I hate oh-by-the-way's. I drove an hour each way to see this bike. Total waste of time.

Later that same day ....

Found a red 2010 Wing with 10k miles for $2900 at a little motorcycle store about 30 miles away. I sent an email and I'm sure they'll call tomorrow. If it's in good shape and they'll take $2500 + tax I'm pretty sure I'll buy it. I like the logic of having diversity in the garage (within the scooter world, anyway). I also just have a soft spot for the Silver Wing, especially red ones.
Back to top Go down
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: Looking to buy a Silver Wing   Looking to buy a Silver Wing I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 05, 2020 7:29 pm

I used to prefer the red ones but after having my '08 in Black I've become fond of the color, it seems to make the scooter look larger too somehow. Seems to look larger to people driving slow in the passing lane too, with the black bike coming up in their rearview mirrors with a black jacketed guy in a white helmet the just seem to move back into the slow lane for some reason. Probably it's the headlight modulator that gives them the impetus to get over where they belong.
Back to top Go down
ronv386
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 18
Registration date : 2019-06-07

PostSubject: Re: Looking to buy a Silver Wing   Looking to buy a Silver Wing I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 06, 2020 12:02 pm

EvilTwin wrote:
Hi Mike

I had my Swing up for sale earlier this year, but never got an strong leads on it and have since let the online ads lapse.  My intention was to wait till next Spring and list it again and see what happens.  It's a 2009 with about 9K miles, and is in nice shape overall.  It's not around the corner but is in the SE part of the country near Norfolk VA.  I still enjoy riding it and selling it comes with mixed emotions, but I have two other bikes as well and I wouldn't mind freeing up some of the space in the garage.

Bob

Hey Bob,

I apologize if this is being too forward, but I'm new this board, as well as new to biking, including the SWing.

Not for immediate consumption as the "bank (wallet)" is still screaming from the holidays and what not.

But may I be so bold as to ask what you're asking for this bike, or better yet, would you mind posting / sending to me the ad? Ballpark, so that I have may have an idea of what I have to look forward to.

Thanx,

Ron V.

happy hannukah  ( I know the holiday is over, just like the character Wink )
Back to top Go down
EvilTwin
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
EvilTwin

PostSubject: Re: Looking to buy a Silver Wing   Looking to buy a Silver Wing I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 06, 2020 9:10 pm

ronv386 wrote:
EvilTwin wrote:
Hi Mike

Bob

Hey Bob,

I apologize if this is being too forward, but I'm new this board, as well as new to biking, including the SWing.

Not for immediate consumption as the "bank (wallet)" is still screaming from the holidays and what not.

But may I be so bold as to ask what you're asking for this bike, or better yet, would you mind posting / sending to me the ad? Ballpark, so that I have may have an idea of what I have to look forward to.

Thanx,

Ron V.

happy hannukah  ( I know the holiday is over, just like the character Wink )

Hi Ron
My last price was 2900, I'll probably ask around that if/when I put it back on the market around March. I think it just ticked over 9K miles, so it will go up as I keep riding it a bit. If you want to PM me we can take this offline if you are interested and want more information.

Thanks.
Bob
Back to top Go down
ronv386
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Looking to buy a Silver Wing   Looking to buy a Silver Wing I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 08, 2020 12:23 pm

Hello Bob,

Me: Yes! I want it!

My Bank / Wallet: NO YOU DON'T

Much as I would like to, I wouldn't want to waste your time. I want it, and I'd come from Florida to get it. But at this point, I'm in between jobs, and just can't hack it : Sad

I'm working on some jobs now, and with one, when I do get it, I'll have to make some life changes, then I can honestly work with you on this, if the bike is still available.

Other then that, if you don't mind, when you have some extra time, sending me the link to your previous ad for the bike, that would be great, sort of a motivator

Anyway, Thanx for offering, I do appreciate it.

Ron V.
Back to top Go down
Delray
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Delray

PostSubject: Re: Looking to buy a Silver Wing   Looking to buy a Silver Wing I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 09, 2020 9:59 am

"Found a red 2010 Wing with 10k miles for $2900 at a little motorcycle store about 30 miles away. I sent an email and I'm sure they'll call tomorrow. If it's in good shape and they'll take $2500 + tax I'm pretty sure I'll buy it."

Follow up ... the 2010 was okay, a C+ or B grade, but the motorcycle store wouldn't budge on their price of $2900. Fair enough. I wouldn't budge on my price of $2500.

Current object of my affection is a 2004 Silver Wing in Candy Red for $2550. The owner said he'll take $2350. The bike has a ton of miles (23,000) but owner says maintenance has been meticulous. Plus, the bike is kept in an air-conditioned garage and in the dozen photos I saw, it looks like a gorgeous antique you'd see at a classic car show. Tempting, but ....

I've never even seen a Silver Wing with that many miles, much less ridden one. Are there special issues? Are certain parts more prone to failure or replacement? Do they "U2" even more than normal (rattle and hum)?

Nice thing is I am in no rush. Yesterday I changed the coolant, brake fluid and engine oil and filter on my BMW 650 GT scooter. The work was easy, thanks to having the service manual on DVD (NOT cool that it only runs with Windows on a PC, and I'm an Apple guy from phone to laptop to desktop, so I had to buy a cheap laptop and DVD player ... still, that $240 cost pales in comparison to what a local BMW dealer would charge me for the work).

Here's a good example of German engineering you hear so much about: I took off most of the body cover (tupperware) to make the work easier; I also wanted to see what was under there. I removed at least 50 screws. Guess how many screw sizes there were. Six? Ten? Try two. One big, one little. I appreciated that. It made putting Humpty Dumpty back together again a LOT easier.

Looking to buy a Silver Wing 80427410
Looking to buy a Silver Wing Full_v10
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 2844
Registration date : 2009-08-18

PostSubject: Re: Looking to buy a Silver Wing   Looking to buy a Silver Wing I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 09, 2020 12:24 pm

Silverwings are good to at least 100,000 miles plus----I traded my two, 2009 and 2013 leftover at near 50,000 miles....just because that is what I do----both working fine at the time. Many used Silverwings in US have low miles----owners do not ride much.
Back to top Go down
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: Looking to buy a Silver Wing   Looking to buy a Silver Wing I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 09, 2020 2:56 pm

Be sure you have a good supply of different sized torx bits. BMW really likes them. Actually so do I since they don't slip when driving them as a Phillips will.

Be careful you don't drop that little oil screen into the engine, it can be hard to fish out. Use as long screwdriver to hold it when installing and removing it.
Back to top Go down
Delray
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Delray

PostSubject: Re: Looking to buy a Silver Wing   Looking to buy a Silver Wing I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 09, 2020 4:05 pm

"Be sure you have a good supply of different sized torx bits. BMW really likes them. Actually so do I ...."

My first reaction to the torx was, "Oh, great, a whole new tool system." But I REALLY like torx. You're right. They lock in and feel much surer than a Phillips. The screwdriver in the toolkit under the seat has fit every screw I've encountered, and since I had the service manual in advance, I had already picked up all the bit sizes I'll need.

"Be careful you don't drop that little oil screen into the engine, it can be hard to fish out. Use as long screwdriver to hold it when installing and removing it."

Pretty sure it was you and one other fellow on the BMW forum who pointed this out. Super helpful! I remember laughing at the other guy, who was very descriptive, "The screen dropped in the engine and disappeared. I mean, it vanished. I freaked out. I really freaked out." With that helpful info (God bless these forums), I knew to insert a long screwdriver inside the screen tube to remove it and place it, holding on with needlenose pliers until I was 100% sure it was seated.
Back to top Go down
EvilTwin
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
EvilTwin

PostSubject: Re: Looking to buy a Silver Wing   Looking to buy a Silver Wing I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 09, 2020 7:07 pm

Here's a black 2012 with around 2K miles on it for 2900:  https://norfolk.craigslist.org/mcy/d/virginia-beach-honda-silver-wing-2012/7050513979.html
Back to top Go down
Mech 1 twa
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
Mech 1 twa

Number of posts : 692
Registration date : 2016-01-02

PostSubject: Re: Looking to buy a Silver Wing   Looking to buy a Silver Wing I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 09, 2020 9:01 pm

I've never even seen a Silver Wing with that many miles, much less ridden one. Are there special issues? Are certain parts more prone to failure or replacement? Do they "U2" even more than normal (rattle and hum)?

2013 with 22.5k all in the last 5 years. I'd go for a newer one less issues with age what's a few hundred bucks.

BMW Big Money Wilhelm. German engineering. ???? BMW and Audi nice when new but will break your wallet when it comes to service and parts.$$$$$$ You will find out if you keep that scoot long enough.
Back to top Go down
Delray
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Delray

PostSubject: Re: Looking to buy a Silver Wing   Looking to buy a Silver Wing I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 09, 2020 9:49 pm

"Here's a black 2012 with around 2K miles on it for 2900"

That's a good deal, thanks. Can't see the sides of the bike but I'll find out more. Intriguing in that it's a couple blocks from the neighborhood where I grew up; not so intriguing in that it's a long way from home and it's 40-degrees in Virginia Beach tonight.

"I'd go for a newer one less issues with age what's a few hundred bucks."

That's good advice, thanks. I agree after thinking that through. A '12 or '13 is sounding smart.

"BMW and Audi nice when new but will break your wallet when it comes to service and parts.$$$$$$ You will find out if you keep that scoot long enough."

So far it's flawless and I'm under warranty until December 2020. If I keep this bike, I will buy an extended warranty.

Looking down the road ... I'm 66 years old, if I keep a newer GT for a few years, I can replace it with a next-to-new one and go through 2 or 3 bikes in the next decade, which is basically my remaining window to ride.

Might as well go out in style, right? I'll take a hit of a couple grand every time I trade up, but that doesn't bother me. I worked an entire career and I don't mind giving myself a little reward.

I got a great social post from BMW Motorrad the other day on Facebook: "There are seven days in a week and "someday" is not one of them."

I love that. Makes me wanna go ride now and I believe I will. It's 73 degrees and crazy windy tonight, 22+ mph off the ocean. I learned to like riding in wind after I stopped white-knuckling it and started flowing with it.
Back to top Go down
Mech 1 twa
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
Mech 1 twa

Number of posts : 692
Registration date : 2016-01-02

PostSubject: Re: Looking to buy a Silver Wing   Looking to buy a Silver Wing I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 09, 2020 10:12 pm

Enjoy your ride it's a balmy 31° up here in PA. it was only 15° last night... Lean into the wind counter steer a little pressure on the bar.
Back to top Go down
25bikez
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 6
Registration date : 2019-08-05

PostSubject: Re: Looking to buy a Silver Wing   Looking to buy a Silver Wing I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 09, 2020 10:16 pm

I've got my 2008 listed in this forum. $3200. 8400 miles. Gray. Very clean. Ridden regularly. New Continentals, battery, belt, rollers, spark plugs, fluids, and filters. Vented Clearview windscreen, cut down a bit. Thinner pad on the butt stop, but still have the original pad. 8K service performed by local Honda dealer. You can see a photo on the Austin or Abilene, TX Craigslist (I don't have enough posts to attach a photo here). I have a Vespa GT I ride more, and don't need two scooters.

https://austin.craigslist.org/mcy/d/abilene-2008-honda-silverwing/7046133318.html
Back to top Go down
Hiyo
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 33
Registration date : 2019-10-22

PostSubject: Hey Del Ray   Looking to buy a Silver Wing I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 10, 2020 6:25 am

Bought mine (a 2003) with 28000 on it. Per previous owner; he changed the oil, plugs, belt and tires. He rode it hard. Every panel on it has a scratch or crack in it. Plastic is kind of expensive. I now have all of the plastic off of it and other than dirt, fluids, filters and a bodged up (now replaced w/ eBay) ignition. I really can't see much wrong with it. The ignition was messed up because someone tried to steal it, per original owner. When I am done repairing the plastic and painting it I wouldn't be afraid to take it anywhere. I am however going to replace the fork springs for a handling upgrade as it is soft up front. It came with newer Pirelli tires. I thought it was worth $850. That one in the pics 😍 is nice. You could go through the forum to find out about issues. There are few. All bikes are a compromise.
P.S. had a bit of money left for an aftermarket exhaust. It changed the response a little but mostly shaved 20+ lbs. of weight.
Back to top Go down
Hiyo
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Looking to buy a Silver Wing   Looking to buy a Silver Wing I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 10, 2020 6:36 am

The fasteners on a Silverwing are many. They must have stock in a fastener company. The ones that look like Phillips are not (most of them anyway). They are J.I.S. Japanese Industry Standard. Slightly different from Phillips. Also they stamp those things with a dot.
Back to top Go down
Delray
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Delray

PostSubject: Re: Looking to buy a Silver Wing   Looking to buy a Silver Wing I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 10, 2020 8:00 am

"Bought mine (a 2003) with 28000 on it. Per previous owner; he changed the oil, plugs, belt and tires. He rode it hard. Every panel on it has a scratch or crack in it ... I really can't see much wrong with it."

And from such stories the Silver Wing legend lives on ....

I owned a 2003, sold it and bought another a year later because I love the color so much, Candy Glory Red. But as reliable and sturdy as a Silver Wing is, I am convinced a newer one will bring fewer worries.

Here is one that is looking good to me today, in Macon, Georgia, which is close enough to go get it and ride it home. Bike has 7k miles, price is $3,000 OBO (I'd guess $2,600 cash would do it). I love it when people take care of their bikes.

Looking to buy a Silver Wing 81625810
Back to top Go down
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: Looking to buy a Silver Wing   Looking to buy a Silver Wing I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 10, 2020 12:49 pm

The black '08 with 12,000 miles on it I recently bought looks very good with a few small scratches. I had to replace the panel under the floorboard on the left side since the old one had a crack and a major scratch. She looks good and runs like new. I expect this one to last me until I hang up my helmet for the last time. I miss the Goldwing a good bit but with my slowly deteriorating physical conditions it would be downright foolish for me to ride such a heavy bike now. Since I don't do long road trips nowadays the Silverwing serves me well. If I did make a long trip with the SW I have no reason to believe it wouldn't do the job with aplomb. She's not the best mile eater on two wheels nor the fastest but it's a very reliable bike and one that doesn't break the bank needing expensive maintenance ever few thousand miles.
Back to top Go down
ronv386
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Looking to buy a Silver Wing   Looking to buy a Silver Wing I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 11, 2020 2:31 pm

EvilTwin wrote:
Here's a black 2012 with around 2K miles on it for 2900:  https://norfolk.craigslist.org/mcy/d/virginia-beach-honda-silver-wing-2012/7050513979.html

Looks nice, but the fact that he "sale as is", gets me wondering... though year / mileage / price, might make it worth it, once fixed up. I guess.
Back to top Go down
Easyrider
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
Easyrider

Number of posts : 856
Registration date : 2015-12-18

PostSubject: Re: Looking to buy a Silver Wing   Looking to buy a Silver Wing I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 11, 2020 5:43 pm

Delray wrote:
"Bought mine (a 2003) with 28000 on it. Per previous owner; he changed the oil, plugs, belt and tires. He rode it hard. Every panel on it has a scratch or crack in it ... I really can't see much wrong with it."

I owned a 2003, sold it and bought another a year later because I love the color so much, Candy Glory Red. But as reliable and sturdy as a Silver Wing is, I am convinced a newer one will bring fewer worries.

Here is one that is looking good to me today, in Macon, Georgia, which is close enough to go get it and ride it home. Bike has 7k miles, price is $3,000 OBO (I'd guess $2,600 cash would do it). I love it when people take care of their bikes.

That bike does not have ABS brakes. Just a FYI.
Back to top Go down
ronv386
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Looking to buy a Silver Wing   Looking to buy a Silver Wing I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 11, 2020 6:36 pm

Easyrider wrote:
Delray wrote:
"Bought  8< (snip). >8 I really can't see much wrong with it."

That bike does not have ABS brakes. Just a FYI.

I was going to ask how you realized that, but then I actually did some research on the difference between ABS and none. Got my answer. Also explains to me why, when I've had to slam on my breaks on my ABS equipped car, i'd hear a "ratcheting" sound. Car did stop in time, btw.

Funny thing though, when I was taught how to drive, oh around 30 some odd years ago ( I just celebrated 53 this past Wed ), I was taught never to just slam on the breaks, but to use a pumping motion ( of course we're warned against that once ABS seriously came into play ) ....

Points to ponder. Yeah, someone on this board said to me in a post, that I shouldn't worry about whether the bike had ABS / non. I think i'll try to stick to ABS. Smile

Ron V.
Back to top Go down
Delray
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Delray

PostSubject: Re: Looking to buy a Silver Wing   Looking to buy a Silver Wing I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 12, 2020 7:15 am

Check out this 2010 in Daytona Beach, Florida. Truly impressive mileage: 74,520.

I'd never pay the asked $3800 but Corbin seat is always nice, plus 46-liter top box and Air Flow screen. Facebook ad says "meticulous maintenance records."

Silver Wings are apparently like Energizer bunnies. They just keep going and going ....

Looking to buy a Silver Wing 82307110
Looking to buy a Silver Wing 82128310
Back to top Go down
ronv386
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Looking to buy a Silver Wing   Looking to buy a Silver Wing I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 12, 2020 9:29 am

Yeah, Just found it. "CB Radio" ? Wonder how she pulled that one off.

Ron V.
Back to top Go down
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: Looking to buy a Silver Wing   Looking to buy a Silver Wing I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 12, 2020 5:30 pm

Not too hard to rig a CB on a SW. I installed one on my BMW C650GT scooter. I used to ride it with some of my friends who were still on Goldwings. Since all the Goldwings had CBs I naturally assumed they were all talking about me on their CBs. I just mounted a handheld CB with Velcro and hooked it up with a plug adapter to my helmet.
Back to top Go down
Hiyo
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: "We do have a few similarities"   Looking to buy a Silver Wing I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 12, 2020 6:44 pm

My kind of guy. No planes, boats or Alaska for me...but all the rest holds true. May make Alaska one day, but likely it won't be in hunting clothes. That part about too many birthdays and all.
Back to top Go down
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: Looking to buy a Silver Wing   Looking to buy a Silver Wing I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 13, 2020 12:10 am

[quote="Delray"]"Be sure you have a good supply of different sized torx bits. BMW really likes them. Actually so do I ...."

My first reaction to the torx was, "Oh, great, a whole new tool system." But I REALLY like torx. You're right. They lock in and feel much surer than a Phillips. The screwdriver in the toolkit under the seat has fit every screw I've encountered, and since I had the service manual in advance, I had already picked up all the bit sizes I'll need.

Here's a very handy, inexpensive kit for the bike's tool kit. I bought one for the BMW C650, it's got just about every Torx screw bit there is plus several sizes of Phillip and flat drivers plus some sockets as well. Ratcheting or locked and only ten bucks.
https://www.harborfreight.com/hand-tools/screwdrivers-nutdrivers/screwdrivers-screwdriver-sets/26-piece-ratchet-screwdriver-set-96733.html
Back to top Go down

Looking to buy a Silver Wing
Page 1 of 1