Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» drive belts
Repair tupperware - Repairing panel damage and a video I_icon_minitimeby cello33 Today at 4:33 pm

» New member from Europe
Repair tupperware - Repairing panel damage and a video I_icon_minitimeby alex_at Today at 3:55 pm

» New Silverwing owner, thoughts and questions
Repair tupperware - Repairing panel damage and a video I_icon_minitimeby alex_at Today at 3:54 pm

» Will my 2002 Silverwing 600 fit in the bed of my F150 Ford with Tailgat up or down?
Repair tupperware - Repairing panel damage and a video I_icon_minitimeby tedebr Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:56 pm

» Is this a good price for a Silverwing 2006
Repair tupperware - Repairing panel damage and a video I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:19 pm

» What were they thinking?
Repair tupperware - Repairing panel damage and a video I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:57 am

» Hello everyone
Repair tupperware - Repairing panel damage and a video I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:54 am

» Sidelight Bulbs
Repair tupperware - Repairing panel damage and a video I_icon_minitimeby Green7 Mon Mar 25, 2024 5:25 pm

» Voyager trike kit forsale
Repair tupperware - Repairing panel damage and a video I_icon_minitimeby Mkdelay12@gmail.com Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:41 pm

» tiny oil leak
Repair tupperware - Repairing panel damage and a video I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Sun Mar 24, 2024 1:41 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Repairing panel damage and a video

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

Repair tupperware - Repairing panel damage and a video Empty
PostSubject: Re: Repairing panel damage and a video   Repair tupperware - Repairing panel damage and a video I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 09, 2019 10:02 am

A few hints & tips about repairing tupperware is not beating a dead horse. It kinda follows the ebb & flow of new members.

Plenty of discussions here on the subject. Use the Search functions.

This topic is now locked.

Now oil filters...
Back to top Go down
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2658
Registration date : 2009-07-17

PostSubject: Re: Repairing panel damage and a video   Repair tupperware - Repairing panel damage and a video I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 08, 2019 11:55 pm

I'm aware that most of my post on ABS repair has been posted before. I'm sorry some members find it's repetition annoying. I merely wanted to help someone who hadn't seen the original posting from some time ago or might not have been successful in finding the old post.
Back to top Go down
Sepp
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 126
Registration date : 2019-10-09

PostSubject: Re: Repairing panel damage and a video   Repair tupperware - Repairing panel damage and a video I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 08, 2019 10:06 pm

ea forum is a living thing, exiting when all is new and everybody pitches in.
Over the years the dynamic changes, old members leave new members come.
Knowledge from the initial crew gets passede on or forgotten.
If somebody buys an 18 year old bike it might still be totally new to him and he has all the questions the initial crew had (plus some more)

So be gentle to the newbies.
there are / will be fields where you are the newbie, think how you want to be treated.
be nice to the new person, the world outside is already crazy enough.
Back to top Go down
https://hosiwi.blogspot.com/
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2658
Registration date : 2009-07-17

PostSubject: Re: Repairing panel damage and a video   Repair tupperware - Repairing panel damage and a video I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 04, 2019 4:12 pm

I've repaired quite a few tupperware parts in my old shop with ABS cement. I'm not sure about SWs but the GWs plastic is ABS. ABS cement makes a plastic weld on ABS plastic as strong as the original plastic. I tried various other cements and epoxy glues. One test I use is to put a dollop about the size of a small Hershey's Kiss candy on a piece of the plastic and then once it has cured overnight try to pry the dollop off the surface of the plastic. Of all the adhesives I tried the ABS cement had the strongest bond. During the nine years I had my Goldwing restoration business I repaired and even molded patches to holes in original platic parts on Goldwings and never had a failure.

ABS cement is not expensive and most hardware stores that sell black drain pipes will stock the stuff. The cement is a bit thicker than honey and cures overnight if the repair isn't too thick. In fact if you need to build up a thick repair it's better to do it in fairly thin layers allowing each layer to harden before applying the next. Since the ABS cement is the same thing as the bike plastic softened with a solvent it can soften the areas around the patch if you put too much on at one time.
The cement dries by evaporation of the solvent, too much will seal off the layer before all the solvent has evaporated. If that happens it will be days before it's hard and it might warp the underlying material.
Other than that it's a very good repair medium, inexpensive and easy to use. You can also mix ABS cement with ABS dust made from grinding or sanding a ABS pipe fitting. I've even replace missing dabs with the stuff using a bit of fiberglas cloth and building it up with several applications of ABS cement. I repaired a Goldwing trunk lid with a 3" hole in it that was strong and invisible once done.
Back to top Go down
Dale N.
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Dale N.

Number of posts : 1981
Registration date : 2014-02-13

PostSubject: Re: Repairing panel damage and a video   Repair tupperware - Repairing panel damage and a video I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 04, 2019 12:00 am

Very interesting video. Well worth the watch if panel repair, and other stuff, is needed.
Back to top Go down
Hiyo
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Hiyo

Number of posts : 94
Registration date : 2019-10-22

PostSubject: repair reply   Repair tupperware - Repairing panel damage and a video I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 03, 2019 8:42 pm

Worth a watch. Been using JB Weld Plastic bond epoxy myself. Seems biggest thing to do with it is to take it down to plastic if possible. I remade some tabs from windshield plastic. Seems with the JB it adheres to plastic better than paint. The fiberglass and cyanoacrylate looks like it would work well. I may do that and reinforce with epoxy as well.
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

PostSubject: Repairing panel damage and a video   Repair tupperware - Repairing panel damage and a video I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 23, 2019 8:14 am

While IMHO Plast-Aid is the best product for repairing tupperware, here is an very interesting alternative suggested by “Sonuvabug”.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RWvpZaKBBfI

Last edited by Cosmic_Jumper on Sat Mar 28, 2020 1:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Repairing panel damage and a video   Repair tupperware - Repairing panel damage and a video I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Repairing panel damage and a video
Page 1 of 1