Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Rear shock longevity
Hello from WA and looking for advice on dormant Silverwing I_icon_minitimeby Erdoc48 Today at 9:07 am

» Hi there guys
Hello from WA and looking for advice on dormant Silverwing I_icon_minitimeby Kenjls Today at 7:20 am

» Final Drive Noise banished
Hello from WA and looking for advice on dormant Silverwing I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Today at 7:14 am

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
Hello from WA and looking for advice on dormant Silverwing I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Yesterday at 7:40 am

» What did you do to your SW today.
Hello from WA and looking for advice on dormant Silverwing I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:26 pm

» YSS rear shocks for sale
Hello from WA and looking for advice on dormant Silverwing I_icon_minitimeby StuartBrown Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:36 pm

» New to Me Swing
Hello from WA and looking for advice on dormant Silverwing I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:06 pm

» SOLD 2004 Honda Silver Wing for sale, tastefully modded SOLD
Hello from WA and looking for advice on dormant Silverwing I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Sun Apr 14, 2024 2:29 pm

» peace, love and life
Hello from WA and looking for advice on dormant Silverwing I_icon_minitimeby cello33 Fri Apr 12, 2024 6:35 pm

» Fork specs, please help before 9/4/2024
Hello from WA and looking for advice on dormant Silverwing I_icon_minitimeby Anders L Thu Apr 11, 2024 9:58 am

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Hello from WA and looking for advice on dormant Silverwing

Go down 
+2
oldwingguy
chaajoad
6 posters
AuthorMessage
chaajoad
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2016-03-12

Hello from WA and looking for advice on dormant Silverwing Empty
PostSubject: Hello from WA and looking for advice on dormant Silverwing   Hello from WA and looking for advice on dormant Silverwing I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 15, 2019 3:43 am

Hi - I haven't posted in a very long time but thought it might be best to ask forum members a few quick questions tonight.

I have a 2006 Silverwing in good condition but haven't ridden it in maybe two years. Lots of reasons why. It starts right up, idles fine (hey- it's a Honda) and I was considering selling it but am having second thoughts. I have a Harley but the Silverwing is fun and a good back-up if gas prices go way up again.

What's the main considerations before taking it out for regular rides again? Should I assume I should trailer it to a Honda dealer to have it gone over? Brakes & tires are barely used - close to new. What should I ask the service guys to do? I'm not a hot-shot wrench guy and don't want to be nailed for unneeded stuff.

What do you think?

Thanks in advance.
Back to top Go down
oldwingguy
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 1936
Registration date : 2016-01-29

PostSubject: Re: Hello from WA and looking for advice on dormant Silverwing   Hello from WA and looking for advice on dormant Silverwing I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 15, 2019 8:44 am

Taking it to the dealer and having X done then let it set will not do it any good. IMHO change oil and filter and depending on when last done brake and coolant fluids ect. Fresh fuel with a double dose of stabilizer fill it to the brim put it on the center stand. Clean and wax and cover it up.
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3294
Registration date : 2009-08-18

PostSubject: Re: Hello from WA and looking for advice on dormant Silverwing   Hello from WA and looking for advice on dormant Silverwing I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 15, 2019 11:40 am

I would look at age of tires, proper pressure, change oil & filter---later change fluids (depending on their age) fuel up and ride----condition and age of battery nice to know. Later, look at condition of rubber parts/hoses.....all in all remembering this bike is more than 10 years old.
Back to top Go down
Sepp
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 126
Registration date : 2019-10-09

PostSubject: Re: Hello from WA and looking for advice on dormant Silverwing   Hello from WA and looking for advice on dormant Silverwing I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 18, 2019 8:05 am

2 years standing is nothing.
I top that with 4 years and just recharged the battery, check tire pressure and off I went. Fille her up with gas, checked the oil what was not black and the right level, so everything is fine. If there are problems they will announce them self at their own time if at all.
Just enjoy
Back to top Go down
https://hosiwi.blogspot.com/
bikehiker
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
bikehiker

Number of posts : 433
Registration date : 2017-09-07

PostSubject: Re: Hello from WA and looking for advice on dormant Silverwing   Hello from WA and looking for advice on dormant Silverwing I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 18, 2019 3:28 pm

Sepp wrote:
2 years standing is nothing.
I top that with 4 years and just recharged the battery, check tire pressure and off I went. Fille her up with gas, checked the oil what was not black and the right level, so everything is fine. If there are problems they will announce them self at their own time if at all.
Just enjoy

Agree 100% with Sepp above.

Short answer: Ride it!
Back to top Go down
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2658
Registration date : 2009-07-17

PostSubject: Re: Hello from WA and looking for advice on dormant Silverwing   Hello from WA and looking for advice on dormant Silverwing I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 19, 2019 12:56 am

If those are original tires I'd go over them very carefully looking for any checking. Thirteen years takes a toll on rubber. If it's been stored indoors out of the sunlight they might still be good but remember having a blowout on a bike is a lot more interesting that one in a car.

You live in an area with high humidity. Two years sitting would also make it a good idea to change oil and coolant as already mentioned. The crankcase is open to outside air so there's a good chance moisture from the air could have collected inside. Also any gasoline contamination over that time could reduce the oil viscosity. Not good for bearings.

You could just ride it but it's not that expensive to give it an oil and coolant change and inspect the tires carefully. Peace of mind is worth a couple bucks.
If it were my bike
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Hello from WA and looking for advice on dormant Silverwing   Hello from WA and looking for advice on dormant Silverwing I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Hello from WA and looking for advice on dormant Silverwing
Page 1 of 1