Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

Hi, Welcome to the Silverwing 600 Forum. We ask that you be polite and also introduce yourself on your 1st post. The members are friendly and helpful so just have fun. There is www.maxi-scoots.com site that is geared for all scooters and motorcycles.

HomeGallerySearchRegisterLog in
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Steering Head Shake
Rear Wheel Spindle Grease? I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Today at 1:16 pm

» dark colors are cool - until you get hit by a car
Rear Wheel Spindle Grease? I_icon_minitimeby oldwingguy Yesterday at 9:43 pm

» Fitting later (front mtg) regulator onto early fjs 600 (rear mtg.)
Rear Wheel Spindle Grease? I_icon_minitimeby Siataukreg Yesterday at 7:14 am

» 2010 silverwing low beam head LIGHT
Rear Wheel Spindle Grease? I_icon_minitimeby exavid Sun Nov 17, 2019 10:49 pm

» A big Thank You to all my side stand bypass switch critics
Rear Wheel Spindle Grease? I_icon_minitimeby Sepp Sun Nov 17, 2019 11:16 am

» New Member, soon to be owner
Rear Wheel Spindle Grease? I_icon_minitimeby Mike from NS Sun Nov 17, 2019 6:25 am

» wireless phone charger mount?
Rear Wheel Spindle Grease? I_icon_minitimeby exavid Fri Nov 15, 2019 7:42 pm

» Givi airflow screen
Rear Wheel Spindle Grease? I_icon_minitimeby The Bern Fri Nov 15, 2019 2:16 pm

» Fuel flow adjustment
Rear Wheel Spindle Grease? I_icon_minitimeby freddyblue Fri Nov 15, 2019 2:47 am

» Fitting a alarm on Swing?
Rear Wheel Spindle Grease? I_icon_minitimeby XDM© Fri Nov 15, 2019 12:36 am

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Rear Wheel Spindle Grease?

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Loosemarbles
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
Loosemarbles

Number of posts : 334
Registration date : 2016-10-01

Rear Wheel Spindle Grease? Empty
PostSubject: Rear Wheel Spindle Grease?   Rear Wheel Spindle Grease? I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 19, 2019 11:05 am

Just a quickie here. I've got the rear wheel off for a tyre change tomorrow and I am curious about the the type of grease to use on the rear wheel spline/spindle.

I realise that the spindle and wheel hub move together so there is no 'moving part friction' and I've always used a standard bearing and hub molybdenum grease in the past and it seems fine, I just wondered if I could use something which might offer: more protection: higher melting point: better corrosion protection etc. Does it need any grease at all?

It's just a thought. My SW is getting old now and want to preserve her as best I can.

Back to top Go down
Easyrider
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
Easyrider

Number of posts : 843
Registration date : 2015-12-18

PostSubject: Re: Rear Wheel Spindle Grease?   Rear Wheel Spindle Grease? I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 19, 2019 6:15 pm

Don't have one handy, but the service manual should state if you should apply any lubrication.
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 3239
Registration date : 2009-06-12

PostSubject: Re: Rear Wheel Spindle Grease?   Rear Wheel Spindle Grease? I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 19, 2019 7:54 pm

Curiously the FSM makes no mention of lubing those splines. However p.15-12 does say to “add grease to 3 mm groove in final drive shaft”. That’d be “multi-purpose grease, lithium based NLGI #2 or equivalent’.
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 2829
Registration date : 2009-08-18

PostSubject: Re: Rear Wheel Spindle Grease?   Rear Wheel Spindle Grease? I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 20, 2019 6:12 am

Splines---I use some wheel bearing grease I already have. Years ago BMW had spline troubles, even special grease offered and sold---didn't fix the main problem of poor design or materials.
Back to top Go down
Loosemarbles
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
Loosemarbles

PostSubject: Re: Rear Wheel Spindle Grease?   Rear Wheel Spindle Grease? I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 20, 2019 9:35 am

Thank you guys. The 3mm groove contains a bearing so I guess some grease in there would be useful. I reckon I'll add a little to the splines in case the tolerance has increased over the years, and also, just to be kind!

Thanks again for your input. thumbs up
Back to top Go down
Michel Vachon
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 13
Registration date : 2019-03-26

PostSubject: Re: Rear Wheel Spindle Grease?   Rear Wheel Spindle Grease? I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 21, 2019 9:58 pm

Hi from Granby in Quebec,

According to my experiences the best grease for spline is made by Wurth. It is the sig3000 .Long-lasting under extreme pressure and heavy impact .... 65,000 psi/65 Timken load* and temperature resistance to 285 °C (545 °F) . I don't know if you can get it directly from them but check with a garage in your area if he use Wurth product and I'm sure he can get it...

Michel

Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

PostSubject: Re: Rear Wheel Spindle Grease?   Rear Wheel Spindle Grease? I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 22, 2019 7:29 am

Really, also, I do not think spline trouble is there on SilverWing----as they do not get ridden enough or to really high miles. Now that they are getting older, many still have low miles.
Back to top Go down
vmaximus
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 114
Registration date : 2011-04-15

PostSubject: Re: Rear Wheel Spindle Grease?   Rear Wheel Spindle Grease? I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 22, 2019 12:25 pm

I always grease the spindle and splines with any grease I have to hand, its only to make fitting and removal easier, once the wheel is fitted and located onto the splines there are no moving parts and once the rear wheel nut is fitted and torqued up its going nowhere.
Back to top Go down
Loosemarbles
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
Loosemarbles

PostSubject: Re: Rear Wheel Spindle Grease?   Rear Wheel Spindle Grease? I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 22, 2019 2:47 pm

Thanks for your input everyone. I've gone with my regular multi purpose grease as that's all I have at the moment. The Wurth grease is available on Amazon so I think I'll invest in some for future use.

One thing is bothering me about the rear swing arm bolt torque spec though.

I have in my 'home made' reference manual that the rear swing arm bolts are torqued to 25lb/ft. I've done this job many times before but with my old age creeping in I'm thinking that it doesn't sound like a lot for a heavy duty piece of hardware. Can anybody confirm the torque spec for this?
Back to top Go down
Delray
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Delray

Number of posts : 217
Registration date : 2018-07-07

PostSubject: Re: Rear Wheel Spindle Grease?   Rear Wheel Spindle Grease? I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 22, 2019 3:48 pm

Confirmed.
Rear Wheel Spindle Grease? Img_2811
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

PostSubject: Re: Rear Wheel Spindle Grease?   Rear Wheel Spindle Grease? I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 22, 2019 4:36 pm

Ride a lot---after 10,000 miles or so, look at the spline put together dry-----think they would like some grease which hurts nothing and may prevent spines from early wear. Both my purchased new SilverWings were traded at near 50,000 miles--spines greased=no trouble.
Back to top Go down
Loosemarbles
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
Loosemarbles

PostSubject: Re: Rear Wheel Spindle Grease?   Rear Wheel Spindle Grease? I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 23, 2019 7:23 am

Thank you Mike and John. 25lb/ft it is and a bit of grease on the splines.

BTW, the next line of text says 'install the final shaft holder...' what is that?

After installing the swing arm and axle nut the only things left are the brake calipers, the shock lower bolt and the plastic swing arm bolts cover. I'm curious!

Back to top Go down
The Bern
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
The Bern

Number of posts : 816
Registration date : 2014-11-20

PostSubject: Re: Rear Wheel Spindle Grease?   Rear Wheel Spindle Grease? I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 23, 2019 7:49 am

What we are suffering from here is terminology, indeed the 'swingarm' torx headed bolts are torqued to 25 lb/ft, BUT what Honda call the 'swingarm' is the pivoting section that is connected to the engine, 'the final shaft holder' is the extension of the'swingarm' that supports the rear axle & has the brakes mounted on it, the torque setting for the hexagon headed bolts (later hidden under a plastic shield) is 36lb/ft
Back to top Go down
Loosemarbles
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
Loosemarbles

PostSubject: Re: Rear Wheel Spindle Grease?   Rear Wheel Spindle Grease? I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 23, 2019 7:59 am

Thank you for clearing that up The Bern. It's the hexagon bolts I'm concerned with here as I had no need to remove the torx bolts. I must refer to it as the final shaft holder in future. It makes sense now.

I'd better get out there and torque them up to 36 not 25.They say curiosity killed the cat but it may have saved my life!
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

PostSubject: Re: Rear Wheel Spindle Grease?   Rear Wheel Spindle Grease? I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 23, 2019 8:00 am

Loosemarbles wrote:
[Snip] BTW, the next line of text says 'install the final shaft holder...' what is that? [Snip]

Assembly #15 is the “final shaft holder”. Who knew?

Rear Wheel Spindle Grease? 11b57910
Back to top Go down
The Bern
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
The Bern

PostSubject: Re: Rear Wheel Spindle Grease?   Rear Wheel Spindle Grease? I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 23, 2019 8:03 am

Here you go bud ...........

Rear Wheel Spindle Grease? 20190923-125910-1photo hosting
Back to top Go down
The Bern
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
The Bern

PostSubject: Re: Rear Wheel Spindle Grease?   Rear Wheel Spindle Grease? I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 23, 2019 8:07 am

Cosmic_Jumper wrote:
Loosemarbles wrote:
[Snip] BTW, the next line of text says 'install the final shaft holder...' what is that? [Snip]

Assembly #15 is the “final shaft holder”. Who knew?

Indeed Tim. I reckon we all call the section we remove to access the rear wheel the swingarm without a second thought, was only Loosemarbles post that got me thinking Embarassed Terminology can cause a few problems occasionally Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
Loosemarbles
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
Loosemarbles

PostSubject: Re: Rear Wheel Spindle Grease?   Rear Wheel Spindle Grease? I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 23, 2019 8:21 am

I've never studied that diagram so closely Tim. Now I'm even more curious, and worried. I'm assuming that the 'collar RR wheel side' sits inside the final shaft holder..right?

Rear Wheel Spindle Grease? Rr_whe10

At this point the final shaft holder in installed but the diagram then shows a 'collar rear axle' to go on before the axle nut. I don't have that collar....YIKES! (The Bern, I've only just seen your expanded image, very useful).

Do I need one or is this one of Honda afterthoughts?
Back to top Go down
Lost it
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 126
Registration date : 2019-05-13

PostSubject: Re: Rear Wheel Spindle Grease?   Rear Wheel Spindle Grease? I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 23, 2019 9:43 am

Just don't whatever you do use a copper anti seize grease. It will burger the splines in the wheel up so fast you'll wonder where the drive went...
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

PostSubject: Re: Rear Wheel Spindle Grease?   Rear Wheel Spindle Grease? I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 23, 2019 10:02 am

Loosemarbles wrote:
I've never studied that diagram so closely Tim. Now I'm even more curious, and worried. I'm assuming that the 'collar RR wheel side' sits inside the final shaft holder..right?
[Snip]  I don't have that collar....YIKES! (The Bern, I've only just seen your expanded image, very useful).

Do I need one or is this one of Honda afterthoughts?

That collar is item #7.

Hardly an afterthought. If that collar is not present the axle nut would jam the swing arm axle bearing (item # 24). That collar frequently says in that bearing when the swing arm is removed.
Back to top Go down
Loosemarbles
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
Loosemarbles

PostSubject: Re: Rear Wheel Spindle Grease?   Rear Wheel Spindle Grease? I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 23, 2019 10:19 am

Tim, you've done it again. It was in there. I now remember it moving inside the 'hole' while I was cleaning off the muck prior to replacing the final shaft holder. I didn't realise that's what it was.....looking at the diagram I imagined it would be bigger!

I've been riding the bike for 3 years as it is so I suppose I would have had a catastrophic failure by now. My head isn't where it should be right now while my partner is recovering from a stroke and it's taking it's toll.

Thanks again everyone, I'm sure all is well. I'm off for a respite trip for a few days this week on the bike...maybe visit an aviation museum along the way. I need a break Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down

Rear Wheel Spindle Grease?
Page 1 of 1