Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

Hi, Welcome to the Silverwing 600 Forum. We ask that you be polite and also introduce yourself on your 1st post. The members are friendly and helpful so just have fun. There is www.maxi-scoots.com site that is geared for all scooters and motorcycles.

HomeGallerySearchRegisterLog in
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Fuel flow adjustment
Should I trust 13 year old tires or replace? I_icon_minitimeby Mech 1 twa Today at 7:54 pm

» NH Motorcycle Accident
Should I trust 13 year old tires or replace? I_icon_minitimeby Hiyo Today at 7:35 pm

» Swing seems to be a bit rougher during acceleration
Should I trust 13 year old tires or replace? I_icon_minitimeby Hiyo Today at 7:00 pm

» Givi airflow screen
Should I trust 13 year old tires or replace? I_icon_minitimeby The Bern Today at 4:18 pm

» New Member, soon to be owner
Should I trust 13 year old tires or replace? I_icon_minitimeby BobF Today at 2:25 pm

» Steering Head Shake
Should I trust 13 year old tires or replace? I_icon_minitimeby exavid Today at 2:16 pm

Should I trust 13 year old tires or replace? I_icon_minitimeby exavid Today at 2:14 pm

» Fitting later (front mtg) regulator onto early fjs 600 (rear mtg.)
Should I trust 13 year old tires or replace? I_icon_minitimeby The Bern Today at 1:35 pm

» Stolen Silverwing
Should I trust 13 year old tires or replace? I_icon_minitimeby Cosmic_Jumper Today at 12:49 pm

» Fitting a alarm on Swing?
Should I trust 13 year old tires or replace? I_icon_minitimeby Siataukreg Today at 7:34 am

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Should I trust 13 year old tires or replace?

Go down 
AuthorMessage
senorcosta
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 16
Registration date : 2019-08-12

Should I trust 13 year old tires or replace? Empty
PostSubject: Should I trust 13 year old tires or replace?   Should I trust 13 year old tires or replace? I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 31, 2019 12:53 am

So I bought a 2007 SW with only 2,100 miles. Always garage kept. I see the manufacture date on them is '06. That said the tread is great, and after careful inspection, I see no outwardly signs of dry rot.
Back to top Go down
Lost it
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 126
Registration date : 2019-05-13

PostSubject: Re: Should I trust 13 year old tires or replace?   Should I trust 13 year old tires or replace? I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 31, 2019 1:07 am

No. Absolutely not.  I'd presume they are not useable. I wouldn't be surprised if you didn't have issues with the suspension as well. Shelf life of tyres is 3 years tops.
And if the bike has been sat in the same place for all that time, more than likely the tyres will have flat spotted?

I wouldn't risk my life on tyres that old, they are your only contact with the road.
Back to top Go down
oldwingguy
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 1351
Registration date : 2016-01-29

PostSubject: Re: Should I trust 13 year old tires or replace?   Should I trust 13 year old tires or replace? I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 31, 2019 7:53 am

Tire time and if there isn't a good reliable maintenance record time for all fluids to be replaced, check the air filter for " critter " nests too.
Back to top Go down
docjones
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 49
Registration date : 2011-10-12

PostSubject: Re: Should I trust 13 year old tires or replace?   Should I trust 13 year old tires or replace? I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 31, 2019 9:17 am

For Gods sakes man replace those tires ASAP.
Back to top Go down
The Bern
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
The Bern

Number of posts : 814
Registration date : 2014-11-20

PostSubject: Re: Should I trust 13 year old tires or replace?   Should I trust 13 year old tires or replace? I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 31, 2019 12:36 pm

The mere fact that you're asking should tell you the answer bud Wink
Back to top Go down
senorcosta
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 16
Registration date : 2019-08-12

PostSubject: Re: Should I trust 13 year old tires or replace?   Should I trust 13 year old tires or replace? I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 31, 2019 5:14 pm

Yeah it's true. I already knew the answer. Tires are ordered and will be here in a couple of days. Thanks all
Back to top Go down
"Hi Yo"
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Should I trust 13 year old tires or replace? 510-80

Number of posts : 2938
Registration date : 2010-02-17

PostSubject: Re: Should I trust 13 year old tires or replace?   Should I trust 13 year old tires or replace? I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 03, 2019 12:23 pm

senorcosta wrote:
So I bought a 2007 SW with only 2,100 miles. Always garage kept. I see the manufacture date on them is '06. That said the tread is great, and after careful inspection, I see no outwardly signs of dry rot.

It"s the condition of your footwear you should check. Laughing
Back to top Go down
Loosemarbles
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
Loosemarbles

Number of posts : 333
Registration date : 2016-10-01

PostSubject: Re: Should I trust 13 year old tires or replace?   Should I trust 13 year old tires or replace? I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 03, 2019 2:21 pm

Rubber decays naturally in ultra violet light (daylight). Get the new ones on.....oh yeah...you already are!
Back to top Go down
Mike from NS
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
Mike from NS

Number of posts : 382
Registration date : 2013-09-12

PostSubject: Re: Should I trust 13 year old tires or replace?   Should I trust 13 year old tires or replace? I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 04, 2019 10:25 am

Amazing if there are no fine cracks in the side walls of the old tires. I was really surprised when I found how bad my tires were on a new - to- me 2005 bike .... because judging by the tread they were probably good for another 5 years. The bike had low mikes but the tires were 10 years old!! Learned the lesson of old tires right some quick !
Back to top Go down
Dibber
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Dibber

Number of posts : 29
Registration date : 2015-07-06

PostSubject: Re: Should I trust 13 year old tires or replace?   Should I trust 13 year old tires or replace? I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 17, 2019 6:40 am

Get new tires and you will be spending money wisely. You will also experience a better ride. Old tires get hard and loose their gripping ability too. Just not safe to keep the old rubber.
Back to top Go down
Lost it
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 126
Registration date : 2019-05-13

PostSubject: Re: Should I trust 13 year old tires or replace?   Should I trust 13 year old tires or replace? I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 17, 2019 11:05 am

There's a company over here that sells tyres at what look like really good prices, and they are if you do a lot of miles every year, in the 20-30,000 mile range.

But the reason they are "cheaper" is that they are mostly old shelf stock, I've seen dates of manufacture that are three years old, like I said, not a problem if they are stored right and you do a lot of miles. Because you will get your miles in and wear them out.

And I know this is true because when you look at prices of newly released tyres, they are the same prices as anywhere else pretty much.

But if you don't, after a year or so the tyre side walls start to crack and it doesn't matter how much tread there is, they are still cracked. So again it's something you need to consider, if you are getting the tyres for a good price, it pays to ask what the "build date" is on the tyres, they all have it these days. And again, doesn't matter too much if you are plugging a thousand miles a month (or a week like I am) because you will get to use the tread they come with. I think the usual turn around for tyre "re-designs" is about 3 years.

I bought a 2001 Jaguar X type once, it still had the original 205/55/16 Pirelli P6000 spare in the wheel well... Dated July 2001. It was perfect in every way, spot less, still had the "new tyre" sheen but it went in the waste tyre pile.
Back to top Go down
cube
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 64
Registration date : 2018-06-14

PostSubject: Re: Should I trust 13 year old tires or replace?   Should I trust 13 year old tires or replace? I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 17, 2019 11:32 pm

Good call! First thing I did on my 2 2007s last year was put new rubber on them.
Back to top Go down

Should I trust 13 year old tires or replace?
Page 1 of 1