Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» New member from Europe
Should I trust 13 year old tires or replace? I_icon_minitimeby steve_h80 Today at 4:47 am

» New Silverwing owner, thoughts and questions
Should I trust 13 year old tires or replace? I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Yesterday at 4:25 pm

» Will my 2002 Silverwing 600 fit in the bed of my F150 Ford with Tailgat up or down?
Should I trust 13 year old tires or replace? I_icon_minitimeby tedebr Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:56 pm

» Is this a good price for a Silverwing 2006
Should I trust 13 year old tires or replace? I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:19 pm

» What were they thinking?
Should I trust 13 year old tires or replace? I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:57 am

» Hello everyone
Should I trust 13 year old tires or replace? I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:54 am

» Sidelight Bulbs
Should I trust 13 year old tires or replace? I_icon_minitimeby Green7 Mon Mar 25, 2024 5:25 pm

» Voyager trike kit forsale
Should I trust 13 year old tires or replace? I_icon_minitimeby Mkdelay12@gmail.com Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:41 pm

» tiny oil leak
Should I trust 13 year old tires or replace? I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Sun Mar 24, 2024 1:41 pm

» Low charging
Should I trust 13 year old tires or replace? I_icon_minitimeby yammer Sat Mar 23, 2024 1:49 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Should I trust 13 year old tires or replace?

Go down 
+8
Mike from NS
Loosemarbles
"Hi Yo"
The Bern
docjones
oldwingguy
Lost it
senorcosta
12 posters
AuthorMessage
senorcosta
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 16
Registration date : 2019-08-12

Should I trust 13 year old tires or replace? Empty
PostSubject: Should I trust 13 year old tires or replace?   Should I trust 13 year old tires or replace? I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 31, 2019 12:53 am

So I bought a 2007 SW with only 2,100 miles. Always garage kept. I see the manufacture date on them is '06. That said the tread is great, and after careful inspection, I see no outwardly signs of dry rot.
Back to top Go down
Lost it
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 136
Registration date : 2019-05-13

PostSubject: Re: Should I trust 13 year old tires or replace?   Should I trust 13 year old tires or replace? I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 31, 2019 1:07 am

No. Absolutely not.  I'd presume they are not useable. I wouldn't be surprised if you didn't have issues with the suspension as well. Shelf life of tyres is 3 years tops.
And if the bike has been sat in the same place for all that time, more than likely the tyres will have flat spotted?

I wouldn't risk my life on tyres that old, they are your only contact with the road.
Back to top Go down
oldwingguy
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 1936
Registration date : 2016-01-29

PostSubject: Re: Should I trust 13 year old tires or replace?   Should I trust 13 year old tires or replace? I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 31, 2019 7:53 am

Tire time and if there isn't a good reliable maintenance record time for all fluids to be replaced, check the air filter for " critter " nests too.
Back to top Go down
docjones
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 52
Registration date : 2011-10-12

PostSubject: Re: Should I trust 13 year old tires or replace?   Should I trust 13 year old tires or replace? I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 31, 2019 9:17 am

For Gods sakes man replace those tires ASAP.
Back to top Go down
The Bern
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
The Bern

Number of posts : 897
Registration date : 2014-11-20

PostSubject: Re: Should I trust 13 year old tires or replace?   Should I trust 13 year old tires or replace? I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 31, 2019 12:36 pm

The mere fact that you're asking should tell you the answer bud Wink
Back to top Go down
senorcosta
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 16
Registration date : 2019-08-12

PostSubject: Re: Should I trust 13 year old tires or replace?   Should I trust 13 year old tires or replace? I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 31, 2019 5:14 pm

Yeah it's true. I already knew the answer. Tires are ordered and will be here in a couple of days. Thanks all
Back to top Go down
"Hi Yo"
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Should I trust 13 year old tires or replace? 510-80

Number of posts : 2940
Registration date : 2010-02-17

PostSubject: Re: Should I trust 13 year old tires or replace?   Should I trust 13 year old tires or replace? I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 03, 2019 12:23 pm

senorcosta wrote:
So I bought a 2007 SW with only 2,100 miles. Always garage kept. I see the manufacture date on them is '06. That said the tread is great, and after careful inspection, I see no outwardly signs of dry rot.

It"s the condition of your footwear you should check. Laughing
Back to top Go down
Loosemarbles
Site Admin
Loosemarbles

Number of posts : 1552
Registration date : 2016-10-01

PostSubject: Re: Should I trust 13 year old tires or replace?   Should I trust 13 year old tires or replace? I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 03, 2019 2:21 pm

Rubber decays naturally in ultra violet light (daylight). Get the new ones on.....oh yeah...you already are!
Back to top Go down
Mike from NS
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
Mike from NS

Number of posts : 461
Registration date : 2013-09-12

PostSubject: Re: Should I trust 13 year old tires or replace?   Should I trust 13 year old tires or replace? I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 04, 2019 10:25 am

Amazing if there are no fine cracks in the side walls of the old tires. I was really surprised when I found how bad my tires were on a new - to- me 2005 bike .... because judging by the tread they were probably good for another 5 years. The bike had low mikes but the tires were 10 years old!! Learned the lesson of old tires right some quick !
Back to top Go down
Dibber
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Dibber

Number of posts : 33
Registration date : 2015-07-06

PostSubject: Re: Should I trust 13 year old tires or replace?   Should I trust 13 year old tires or replace? I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 17, 2019 6:40 am

Get new tires and you will be spending money wisely. You will also experience a better ride. Old tires get hard and loose their gripping ability too. Just not safe to keep the old rubber.
Back to top Go down
Lost it
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 136
Registration date : 2019-05-13

PostSubject: Re: Should I trust 13 year old tires or replace?   Should I trust 13 year old tires or replace? I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 17, 2019 11:05 am

There's a company over here that sells tyres at what look like really good prices, and they are if you do a lot of miles every year, in the 20-30,000 mile range.

But the reason they are "cheaper" is that they are mostly old shelf stock, I've seen dates of manufacture that are three years old, like I said, not a problem if they are stored right and you do a lot of miles. Because you will get your miles in and wear them out.

And I know this is true because when you look at prices of newly released tyres, they are the same prices as anywhere else pretty much.

But if you don't, after a year or so the tyre side walls start to crack and it doesn't matter how much tread there is, they are still cracked. So again it's something you need to consider, if you are getting the tyres for a good price, it pays to ask what the "build date" is on the tyres, they all have it these days. And again, doesn't matter too much if you are plugging a thousand miles a month (or a week like I am) because you will get to use the tread they come with. I think the usual turn around for tyre "re-designs" is about 3 years.

I bought a 2001 Jaguar X type once, it still had the original 205/55/16 Pirelli P6000 spare in the wheel well... Dated July 2001. It was perfect in every way, spot less, still had the "new tyre" sheen but it went in the waste tyre pile.
Back to top Go down
cube
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 67
Registration date : 2018-06-14

PostSubject: Re: Should I trust 13 year old tires or replace?   Should I trust 13 year old tires or replace? I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 17, 2019 11:32 pm

Good call! First thing I did on my 2 2007s last year was put new rubber on them.
Back to top Go down
PeteP
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 79
Registration date : 2020-08-31

PostSubject: Re: Should I trust 13 year old tires or replace?   Should I trust 13 year old tires or replace? I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 13, 2020 10:09 pm

Just to add my two cents worth, I bought a 2007 this August and the tires didn’t look bad at all until a close inspection where the front had fine spider vein cracks. It also was dated 13-06 so had been on there for 13 years. The rear had been replaced and was only 7 years old. I replaced both of them ASAP!
Back to top Go down
sonuvabug
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
sonuvabug

Number of posts : 924
Registration date : 2010-09-15

PostSubject: Re: Should I trust 13 year old tires or replace?   Should I trust 13 year old tires or replace? I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 15, 2020 9:44 am

senorcoasta. I realize you have already ordered and probably have installed your new scooter tires. I have a different point of view on this topic. Here's a recent post I made in response to someone else asking the "what should I change/replace" question on a new-to-them SWing purchase.

sonuvabug wrote:
... snipped ... I'd bet most fluids and all the consumables (tires, filters etc.) on your scoot are 13 years "fresh" unless you were told otherwise or were given the service record to show otherwise.  As you know from your Reflex, it's not only the mileage that matters ... it's also "time and age" of the scoot.  

For instance, brake fluid is hygroscopic (moisture absorbing) and this affects their (brake lines) safe functioning if they've absorbed a lot of moisture. Also, check the DOT date stamp on your tires ... I'd bet they're original.  Check around the tread lines to see if there is spiderwebbing (thin, fine) cracks along the tread lines.  If severe ... this is not good.  If minor, well read below.

You see ... it's all about your risk tolerance and managing that risk.  People with low risk tolerance will advise to replace everything you can -- all fluids, filters, tires (if original), drive belt etc.  Others with high risk tolerance will say just fill it up with gas and go ride.  And then there are the middle grounders ... they'll check and measure things, replace what is obviously required and leave the rest alone.  It really depends on your personal risk tolerance and comfort level.

I bought my '09 last year with 3,044 miles on it.  It already had 3 documented oil changes (sheesh!).  That was it for maintenance as far as I could tell.  I checked, and measured as many of the fluids as I could. The coolant measured fine level and strength wise.  The drive belt looked and measured like new as did the air filter which I simply "blew out" and reinstalled.  I washed and retuned the final drive filter to its place.  I do not know of a brake fluid moisture check but I did ride it, uneventfully, for half of this season and will be changing the fluid out this Fall.

My brake pads looked thick and solid (I dismantled both front and back) to grease the axles and I observed no deterioration or flaking off with either wheel's pads.  My original tires (date stamped 2008) had some spider webbing along the treads.  The Dealer issued a "passed" Safety Inspection but said keep an eye on the tires.  I always do anyway.

After my riding the first 1,000 miles, I find it interesting the spider webbing seems to have all but disappeared.  I suspect the riding I've done has stirred up the oils in the tire's rubber compound and filled in the very fine cracks that were there from a lack of use.  Maybe?

Personally, I have an upper middle of the ground risk tolerances in that I want to know what I'm dealing with but I also won't replace good, inspected parts willy nilly just because they are old.  I  suspect that after 2,000 miles riding this new-to-me scoot with no issues, I made the right call ... for me.

For the record, I recently replaced a never used, 20 year old Light Truck tire on my 2000 Super Duty diesel pickup truck. It had sat under the truck as a spare tire since 2000. When I removed and cleaned it, it looked brand new. It even had the vent spews still in place. However, since I occasionally carry a slide-in truck camper in the bed, running with this "new - never used" tire as a spare was above even my risk tolerance so I decided to replace it.
Back to top Go down
oldwingguy
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 1936
Registration date : 2016-01-29

PostSubject: Re: Should I trust 13 year old tires or replace?   Should I trust 13 year old tires or replace? I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 15, 2020 3:43 pm

For the record, I recently replaced a never used, 20 year old Light Truck tire on my 2000 Super Duty diesel pickup truck. It had sat under the truck as a spare tire since 2000. When I removed and cleaned it, it looked brand new. It even had the vent spews still in place. However, since I occasionally carry a slide-in truck camper in the bed, running with this "new - never used" tire as a spare was above even my risk tolerance so I decided to replace it.

Smile my 1999 Ranger has it's never been used original spare, the tire doesn't look bad at all but the rim was a rusty mess. I don't put enough miles on the truck in a year to warrant a normal mileage / year oil change so I cleaned up the rim and put it back, probably not be down again.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Should I trust 13 year old tires or replace?   Should I trust 13 year old tires or replace? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Should I trust 13 year old tires or replace?
Page 1 of 1