Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

Hi, Welcome to the Silverwing 600 Forum. We ask that you be polite and also introduce yourself on your 1st post. The members are friendly and helpful so just have fun. There is www.maxi-scoots.com site that is geared for all scooters and motorcycles.

HomeCalendarGalleryFAQSearchRegisterLog in
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Parking Brake Pad Installation ... H E L P !!!!
Should I trust 13 year old tires or replace? I_icon_minitimeby arskal Today at 2:43 pm

» Dunlop Scoot Smart tyres. And the Swing in general.
Should I trust 13 year old tires or replace? I_icon_minitimeby The Bern Today at 6:56 am

» Slime Portable Tire Inflator
Should I trust 13 year old tires or replace? I_icon_minitimeby Mech 1 twa Yesterday at 8:33 pm

» Wanted used Corbin
Should I trust 13 year old tires or replace? I_icon_minitimeby DLK Yesterday at 1:04 pm

» Grip Puppies
Should I trust 13 year old tires or replace? I_icon_minitimeby DLK Yesterday at 12:56 pm

» Sit and Fly seat cover
Should I trust 13 year old tires or replace? I_icon_minitimeby DLK Yesterday at 12:48 pm

» Hi, I'm the newest member!
Should I trust 13 year old tires or replace? I_icon_minitimeby DavidI Fri Sep 13, 2019 11:12 am

» Newbie from London is here :)
Should I trust 13 year old tires or replace? I_icon_minitimeby GoonerKev Fri Sep 13, 2019 4:27 am

» SW shocks.
Should I trust 13 year old tires or replace? I_icon_minitimeby steve_h80 Fri Sep 13, 2019 2:50 am

» Change of Seat Colour
Should I trust 13 year old tires or replace? I_icon_minitimeby GoonerKev Fri Sep 13, 2019 2:34 am

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Should I trust 13 year old tires or replace?

Go down 
AuthorMessage
senorcosta
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 16
Registration date : 2019-08-12

Should I trust 13 year old tires or replace? Empty
PostSubject: Should I trust 13 year old tires or replace?   Should I trust 13 year old tires or replace? I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 31, 2019 12:53 am

So I bought a 2007 SW with only 2,100 miles. Always garage kept. I see the manufacture date on them is '06. That said the tread is great, and after careful inspection, I see no outwardly signs of dry rot.
Back to top Go down
Lost it
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 118
Registration date : 2019-05-13

PostSubject: Re: Should I trust 13 year old tires or replace?   Should I trust 13 year old tires or replace? I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 31, 2019 1:07 am

No. Absolutely not.  I'd presume they are not useable. I wouldn't be surprised if you didn't have issues with the suspension as well. Shelf life of tyres is 3 years tops.
And if the bike has been sat in the same place for all that time, more than likely the tyres will have flat spotted?

I wouldn't risk my life on tyres that old, they are your only contact with the road.
Back to top Go down
oldwingguy
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 1312
Registration date : 2016-01-29

PostSubject: Re: Should I trust 13 year old tires or replace?   Should I trust 13 year old tires or replace? I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 31, 2019 7:53 am

Tire time and if there isn't a good reliable maintenance record time for all fluids to be replaced, check the air filter for " critter " nests too.
Back to top Go down
docjones
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 49
Registration date : 2011-10-12

PostSubject: Re: Should I trust 13 year old tires or replace?   Should I trust 13 year old tires or replace? I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 31, 2019 9:17 am

For Gods sakes man replace those tires ASAP.
Back to top Go down
The Bern
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
The Bern

Number of posts : 796
Registration date : 2014-11-20

PostSubject: Re: Should I trust 13 year old tires or replace?   Should I trust 13 year old tires or replace? I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 31, 2019 12:36 pm

The mere fact that you're asking should tell you the answer bud Wink
Back to top Go down
senorcosta
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 16
Registration date : 2019-08-12

PostSubject: Re: Should I trust 13 year old tires or replace?   Should I trust 13 year old tires or replace? I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 31, 2019 5:14 pm

Yeah it's true. I already knew the answer. Tires are ordered and will be here in a couple of days. Thanks all
Back to top Go down
"Hi Yo"
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Should I trust 13 year old tires or replace? 510-80

Number of posts : 2928
Registration date : 2010-02-17

PostSubject: Re: Should I trust 13 year old tires or replace?   Should I trust 13 year old tires or replace? I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 03, 2019 12:23 pm

senorcosta wrote:
So I bought a 2007 SW with only 2,100 miles. Always garage kept. I see the manufacture date on them is '06. That said the tread is great, and after careful inspection, I see no outwardly signs of dry rot.

It"s the condition of your footwear you should check. Laughing
Back to top Go down
Loosemarbles
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
Loosemarbles

Number of posts : 306
Registration date : 2016-10-01

PostSubject: Re: Should I trust 13 year old tires or replace?   Should I trust 13 year old tires or replace? I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 03, 2019 2:21 pm

Rubber decays naturally in ultra violet light (daylight). Get the new ones on.....oh yeah...you already are!
Back to top Go down
Mike from NS
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
Mike from NS

Number of posts : 365
Registration date : 2013-09-12

PostSubject: Re: Should I trust 13 year old tires or replace?   Should I trust 13 year old tires or replace? I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 04, 2019 10:25 am

Amazing if there are no fine cracks in the side walls of the old tires. I was really surprised when I found how bad my tires were on a new - to- me 2005 bike .... because judging by the tread they were probably good for another 5 years. The bike had low mikes but the tires were 10 years old!! Learned the lesson of old tires right some quick !
Back to top Go down

Should I trust 13 year old tires or replace?
Page 1 of 1