Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

Hi, Welcome to the Silverwing 600 Forum. We ask that you be polite and also introduce yourself on your 1st post. The members are friendly and helpful so just have fun. There is www.maxi-scoots.com site that is geared for all scooters and motorcycles.

HomeGallerySearchRegisterLog in
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Fuel flow adjustment
fitting taper roller bearings to headstock and adjustment I_icon_minitimeby freddyblue Today at 6:22 pm

» Givi airflow screen
fitting taper roller bearings to headstock and adjustment I_icon_minitimeby The Bern Today at 4:18 pm

» New Member, soon to be owner
fitting taper roller bearings to headstock and adjustment I_icon_minitimeby BobF Today at 2:25 pm

» Steering Head Shake
fitting taper roller bearings to headstock and adjustment I_icon_minitimeby exavid Today at 2:16 pm

fitting taper roller bearings to headstock and adjustment I_icon_minitimeby exavid Today at 2:14 pm

» Fitting later (front mtg) regulator onto early fjs 600 (rear mtg.)
fitting taper roller bearings to headstock and adjustment I_icon_minitimeby The Bern Today at 1:35 pm

» Stolen Silverwing
fitting taper roller bearings to headstock and adjustment I_icon_minitimeby Cosmic_Jumper Today at 12:49 pm

» Fitting a alarm on Swing?
fitting taper roller bearings to headstock and adjustment I_icon_minitimeby Siataukreg Today at 7:34 am

» Regulator rectifier upgrade
fitting taper roller bearings to headstock and adjustment I_icon_minitimeby Siataukreg Yesterday at 10:33 am

» Forum photo, November 2019
fitting taper roller bearings to headstock and adjustment I_icon_minitimeby Mike from NS Tue Nov 12, 2019 6:35 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

fitting taper roller bearings to headstock and adjustment

Go down 
AuthorMessage
sidco10
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 19
Registration date : 2019-04-19

fitting taper roller bearings to headstock and adjustment Empty
PostSubject: fitting taper roller bearings to headstock and adjustment   fitting taper roller bearings to headstock and adjustment I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 19, 2019 1:25 pm

Hi all about to fit taper roller bearings to the headstock (if it ever stops raining here !!), how do you adjust the bearings once in ? judging by previous posts I've looked at, the Honda fish scale method is not the accurate way with taper bearings? I have a home made stem nut and adjuster ring tool but i can only get torque adjustment on the stem nut tool...any suggestions cheers k
Back to top Go down
The Bern
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
The Bern

Number of posts : 814
Registration date : 2014-11-20

PostSubject: Re: fitting taper roller bearings to headstock and adjustment   fitting taper roller bearings to headstock and adjustment I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 19, 2019 2:42 pm

You need to torque up the ring nut to set the taper bearings bud, fish scale method deffo does not work (been there tried that)
Back to top Go down
The Bern
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
The Bern

PostSubject: Re: fitting taper roller bearings to headstock and adjustment   fitting taper roller bearings to headstock and adjustment I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 19, 2019 2:51 pm

See this thread bud .........

http://www.silverwing600.com/t9331-tapered-steering-head-bearings?highlight=steering+stem+bearings

TBH, there is very little benifit to be had fitting tapered roller over OEM ball races
Back to top Go down
sidco10
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: fitting taper roller bearings to headstock and adjustment   fitting taper roller bearings to headstock and adjustment I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 19, 2019 2:57 pm

Thanks again Bern,i misread that the first time i thought it was the stem nut a 30 ft lb of torque Cheers K
Back to top Go down
The Bern
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
The Bern

PostSubject: Re: fitting taper roller bearings to headstock and adjustment   fitting taper roller bearings to headstock and adjustment I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 19, 2019 3:03 pm

Pleasure bud Smile For torqueing purposes you could make a tubular tool as in this thread ( http://www.silverwing600.com/t7791-steering-stem-nut-tool?highlight=steering+stem+bearings ) but instead of a 'tommy bar' weld a disc with a square hole to accomodate the wrench
Back to top Go down
sidco10
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: fitting taper roller bearings to headstock and adjustment   fitting taper roller bearings to headstock and adjustment I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 19, 2019 3:10 pm

Thanks again Bern I'll be calling my mate again for welding mods he's going to be sick of the sight of me soon haha ,Cheers k
Back to top Go down
The Bern
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
The Bern

PostSubject: Re: fitting taper roller bearings to headstock and adjustment   fitting taper roller bearings to headstock and adjustment I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 19, 2019 3:24 pm

No probs bud, we're all here to help each other when possible Cool
Back to top Go down
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
exavid

Number of posts : 2442
Registration date : 2009-07-17

PostSubject: Re: fitting taper roller bearings to headstock and adjustment   fitting taper roller bearings to headstock and adjustment I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 20, 2019 12:57 am

The "fish scale" method of pre-loading the head bearings worked well on seversl Goldwings I had in my previous shop. If I remember the proper pre-load on the GL was 3lbs pull at the edge of the triple tree. I usually snugged the head nut up good and set the 3lb pull (or what ever the weight was) and then turned the handlebars back and forth while the front wheel was still off the ground. After a few swings the bearings seemed to settle a bit and need just a wee bit more torque on the head bearing nut. Make sure the bearing is well packed with grease and wipe a thin coating on the bearing seats that are pressed into the head.
Back to top Go down

fitting taper roller bearings to headstock and adjustment
Page 1 of 1