Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

Hi, Welcome to the Silverwing 600 Forum. We ask that you be polite and also introduce yourself on your 1st post. The members are friendly and helpful so just have fun. There is www.maxi-scoots.com site that is geared for all scooters and motorcycles.

HomeCalendarGalleryFAQSearchRegisterLog in
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Parking Brake Pad Installation ... H E L P !!!!
Under seat bulb replacement with LED I_icon_minitimeby Delray Today at 4:29 pm

» Honda shop maintenance
Under seat bulb replacement with LED I_icon_minitimeby cube Yesterday at 11:34 pm

» Should I trust 13 year old tires or replace?
Under seat bulb replacement with LED I_icon_minitimeby cube Yesterday at 11:32 pm

» Rails / mounting for panniers
Under seat bulb replacement with LED I_icon_minitimeby trunkmusic Yesterday at 7:08 pm

» Booster Plug
Under seat bulb replacement with LED I_icon_minitimeby Wing808 Yesterday at 4:51 pm

» Hi, I'm the newest member!
Under seat bulb replacement with LED I_icon_minitimeby DavidI Yesterday at 3:50 pm

» New Hagon rear shocks jacked up and centre stand mod
Under seat bulb replacement with LED I_icon_minitimeby Lost it Yesterday at 11:26 am

» Newbie from London is here :)
Under seat bulb replacement with LED I_icon_minitimeby Wing808 Yesterday at 2:55 am

» Wanted used Corbin
Under seat bulb replacement with LED I_icon_minitimeby AldusFran Mon Sep 16, 2019 2:40 pm

» Change of Seat Colour
Under seat bulb replacement with LED I_icon_minitimeby GoonerKev Mon Sep 16, 2019 2:14 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Under seat bulb replacement with LED

Go down 
AuthorMessage
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
exavid

Number of posts : 2336
Registration date : 2009-07-17

Under seat bulb replacement with LED Empty
PostSubject: Under seat bulb replacement with LED   Under seat bulb replacement with LED I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 17, 2019 10:43 pm

There have been occasions when someone doesn't quite latch the seat and the light stays on in the luggage compartment. One quick answer of course is to remove the bulb.

One other answer is to replace the bulb with an LED. I'll go to an auto parts store tomorrow or our local Batteries and Bulbs store and see what I can find otherwise I'll try ordering some I found on Amazon.

With LED replacement that needs no modification other than replacing the original bulb with the new one. There should be a significant reduction in power use so there should take a much longer time to pull down the battery.
Back to top Go down
Dale N.
Site Admin
Dale N.

Number of posts : 1326
Registration date : 2014-02-13

PostSubject: Re: Under seat bulb replacement with LED   Under seat bulb replacement with LED I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 17, 2019 11:01 pm

My remedy was to take the bulb out, throw it away and get an LED flashlight/torch and put it under the seat. Or one of those headband LED lights that fit on your forehead if you need both hands.
Back to top Go down
GoonerKev
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
GoonerKev

Number of posts : 275
Registration date : 2019-04-09

PostSubject: Re: Under seat bulb replacement with LED   Under seat bulb replacement with LED I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 18, 2019 3:16 am

Put LED in mine (nice and bright), but I have put it in tiny compartment I made next to the light fitting and lined with foam so does not rattle around, I carry a torch as Dale and others have suggested, but if I do put the LED bulb in it for lengthy period, the bulb won't drain the battery as much, hope that helps.
Back to top Go down
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
exavid

PostSubject: Re: Under seat bulb replacement with LED   Under seat bulb replacement with LED I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 18, 2019 4:33 pm

I put a look alike replacement LED in the cargo compartment. It draws about 1/8 as much current as the original according to my miliamp meter. So if you left it on you have nearly eight times as much time to shut the seat.

I saw these in two car parts stores near me. Not surprising since VWs used to use them as dome lights and they're used in instrument panels and such.
Back to top Go down
sonuvabug
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
sonuvabug

Number of posts : 264
Registration date : 2010-09-15

PostSubject: Re: Under seat bulb replacement with LED   Under seat bulb replacement with LED I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 19, 2019 8:41 am

exavid wrote:
I put a look alike replacement LED in the cargo compartment. It draws about 1/8 as much current as the original according to my miliamp meter. So if you left it on you have nearly eight times as much time to shut the seat.

I saw these in two car parts stores near me. Not surprising since VWs used to use them as dome lights and they're used in instrument panels and such.

Didn't happen without a pic and/or part number. Wink
Back to top Go down
Tn Traveler
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 70
Registration date : 2017-06-17

PostSubject: Re: Under seat bulb replacement with LED   Under seat bulb replacement with LED I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 19, 2019 6:59 pm

I say take the bulb out & as suggested above buy a flash light.
Why take the risk of a dead battery.

Back to top Go down
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
exavid

PostSubject: Re: Under seat bulb replacement with LED   Under seat bulb replacement with LED I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 20, 2019 7:14 pm

I spent about seven hours today with the seat open as I decided how and then mounted the base plate for my new Givi top box. For that whole time the seat was only closed a few short times. I finished about half an hour ago and hit the starter. She fired right up no battery problem with that LED light on most of that time.
Back to top Go down
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
exavid

PostSubject: Re: Under seat bulb replacement with LED   Under seat bulb replacement with LED I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 07, 2019 11:12 pm

Last night I was at my club and coming out it was pretty dark. I opened the seat to put my gear in and was surprised how well the LED I'd installed in place of the OEM bulb worked. The whole under seat area was flood with a bright white light. It had to be two or three times brighter than the original. At 87% less current draw it was amazing. Well worth doing. I posted the LED number and my source on a previous posting but don't have time to go look for it.
Back to top Go down
GHM-PM
Site Admin
GHM-PM

Number of posts : 1630
Registration date : 2012-05-17

PostSubject: Re: Under seat bulb replacement with LED   Under seat bulb replacement with LED I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 08, 2019 7:33 am

I may switch my bulb also. Even though I have the switched fixture in mine, when I DO need it the thing is not very bright so the LED may be just the ticket...
Back to top Go down
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
exavid

PostSubject: Re: Under seat bulb replacement with LED   Under seat bulb replacement with LED I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 08, 2019 2:25 pm

The LED is certainly more effective and the bright white light makes everything inside the under seat storage a lot easier to see. Doesn't look much different other than in color in daylight but really does at night. Well worth doing even without the lesser drain on the battery.
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 3225
Registration date : 2010-11-16

PostSubject: Re: Under seat bulb replacement with LED   Under seat bulb replacement with LED I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 08, 2019 2:43 pm

Yes, but the light whether bulb or LED is only effective if there isn't a lot of stuff stored under the seat at the rear of the storage area blocking the light. Does anyone really need the under seat light at all, who really is ferreting around looking for stuff there in the dark.

Under my seat at the moment is a large round Tarte Tartin pan I bought from Alice Delice, a sort of French Williams-Sonoma, and it's right at the back, any seat light there wouldn't be more than a feeble glow if there was an under seat light there.

As it's been mentioned so many times before, a small torch or LED hand lamps stored under the seat is so much more useful.
Back to top Go down
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
exavid

PostSubject: Re: Under seat bulb replacement with LED   Under seat bulb replacement with LED I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 08, 2019 5:01 pm

I also carry a combination LED torch and red flashing signal, screw in tire plugs and a few other things in the locking cubby. Never can tell when you might need a flashlight when you don't want to get off the scooter.

When I travel for longer distances I carry my 1600 lumen focusing flashlight. Usually its in my car but when traveling I'll be going anywhere on the scooter at night it rides with me. It has a lot more power than a Silverwing headlight.
Back to top Go down

Under seat bulb replacement with LED
Page 1 of 1