Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» drive belts
Fork Seals and Settings etc. Help Please post fit. I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Today at 5:43 pm

» New member from Europe
Fork Seals and Settings etc. Help Please post fit. I_icon_minitimeby alex_at Today at 3:55 pm

» New Silverwing owner, thoughts and questions
Fork Seals and Settings etc. Help Please post fit. I_icon_minitimeby alex_at Today at 3:54 pm

» Will my 2002 Silverwing 600 fit in the bed of my F150 Ford with Tailgat up or down?
Fork Seals and Settings etc. Help Please post fit. I_icon_minitimeby tedebr Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:56 pm

» Is this a good price for a Silverwing 2006
Fork Seals and Settings etc. Help Please post fit. I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:19 pm

» What were they thinking?
Fork Seals and Settings etc. Help Please post fit. I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:57 am

» Hello everyone
Fork Seals and Settings etc. Help Please post fit. I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:54 am

» Sidelight Bulbs
Fork Seals and Settings etc. Help Please post fit. I_icon_minitimeby Green7 Mon Mar 25, 2024 5:25 pm

» Voyager trike kit forsale
Fork Seals and Settings etc. Help Please post fit. I_icon_minitimeby Mkdelay12@gmail.com Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:41 pm

» tiny oil leak
Fork Seals and Settings etc. Help Please post fit. I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Sun Mar 24, 2024 1:41 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Fork Seals and Settings etc. Help Please post fit.

Go down 
+3
Cosmic_Jumper
terrier
Silverwingdays
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Silverwingdays
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 97
Registration date : 2017-06-05

Fork Seals and Settings etc. Help Please post fit. Empty
PostSubject: Fork Seals and Settings etc. Help Please post fit.   Fork Seals and Settings etc. Help Please post fit. I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 15, 2019 5:27 pm

Hi I am going to a garage tomorrow to have my fork seals redone as I just can`t manage it myself at the moment.

Plus I don`t have the inner fork tools etc.

They are fitting non std ones they say are better than the originals, I hope so.

Is there anything I should say to them to watch out for or do etc etc to help a good job.

Also what amount of oil goes in please. I`ve written it somewhere but can`t find it.

The Manual on CD I sourced won`t open oddly.

So what is the amount and also the measurement from the top of the leg please.

Also are the torques on the fork clamp important or do you have them please.

Its got Hyperpro springs in, I`m not 100% sure what way up they go in.

But going for 15W to help on bumpy roads.

Many Thanks in advance.

Hope it goes well I love this machine.

Last edited by Silverwingdays on Tue Jul 16, 2019 3:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
terrier
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
terrier

Number of posts : 299
Registration date : 2015-08-12

PostSubject: Re: Fork Seals and Settings etc. Help Please post fit.   Fork Seals and Settings etc. Help Please post fit. I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 16, 2019 2:15 pm

Have you seen this one before https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yBAEVGaCnCY
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

PostSubject: Re: Fork Seals and Settings etc. Help Please post fit.   Fork Seals and Settings etc. Help Please post fit. I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 16, 2019 2:56 pm

Page 14-16 of the FSM says the fork fluid capacity is 10.6 +/- 0.09 Imp oz. The 97 mm oil level is measured from the top of the fork tube when it is fully compressed.
Back to top Go down
Silverwingdays
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Fork Seals and Settings etc. Help Please post fit.   Fork Seals and Settings etc. Help Please post fit. I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 16, 2019 3:25 pm

Hi thanks I found the settings etc courtesy of Bern ( thanks,) and took a bit of paper with them on.

Fork cap ................. 32Nm (2.3kgf/m .. 16lbf/ft)
Yolk pinch bolts .......... 69Nm (7.0kgf/m ..51lbf/ft)
Front axle bolt ........... 59Nm (6.0kgf/m .. 43lbf/ft)
Axle pinch bolts .......... 22Nm (2.2kgf/m .. 16lbf/ft)
Caliper mounting bolts .. 42Nm (4.3kgf/m .. 31lbf/ft)

300ml

97mm-100mm

I had it as 300ml, but When I got back to the bike the chap said that was wrong ( they had checked ) and they had put in 425ml.

It came straight off the bench.

Well I set off home and looked like a nice job but blimey the bike literally felt rigid.

Barely any give at all, that was Hyperpro springs 15w and the 425ml, they put in.

The front was literally taking off on bumps and if you really try to rock the forks front brake and down and really try you are struggling to get just over an inch of movement, also it feels rough going down what it does and rough coming back up too. Not free if you will.

Going back to tomorrow with my own bottle of 10W and hoping they can sort it.

Another 30 miles each way.

Anyway in need of some serious advice please.

Thanks.
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3291
Registration date : 2009-08-18

PostSubject: Re: Fork Seals and Settings etc. Help Please post fit.   Fork Seals and Settings etc. Help Please post fit. I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 16, 2019 3:59 pm

My experience stock front springs and oil weight/levels work fine. I feel Honda gets it right from the get go...in most cases. Silverwing afterall is scooter and works pretty good at that. My experience is two new SilverWings, well over 90,000 miles---just left front ends alone.
Back to top Go down
Silverwingdays
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Fork Seals and Settings etc. Help Please post fit.   Fork Seals and Settings etc. Help Please post fit. I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 16, 2019 4:04 pm

Hi well mine came with the Hypero`s in so had to live with them.

I am wondering if I should ask them to put in the 10w oil now as it will need to be done again, or hope the 125ml less of the 15w helps enough ?

Its a shame as I did give them the right amount settings etc, but these things happen and very nice people.
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

PostSubject: Re: Fork Seals and Settings etc. Help Please post fit.   Fork Seals and Settings etc. Help Please post fit. I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 16, 2019 4:54 pm

Stay with the HyperPro-supplied oil. Set the level to 97 mm per Honda spec. You'll be happy with the ride.

Certainly the more oil in the fork tube the less air available to compress and cushion the bumps.

Tim
Back to top Go down
The Bern
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
The Bern

Number of posts : 897
Registration date : 2014-11-20

PostSubject: Re: Fork Seals and Settings etc. Help Please post fit.   Fork Seals and Settings etc. Help Please post fit. I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 16, 2019 5:02 pm

Hmmm, I seem to recall writting ..........

you initially put 300cc in each leg, pump it to force out any trapped air (as per the video) when all traces of bubbles are gone push the tube into the stanchion & measure from the top of the tube to the fluid surface & top-up as necessary to achieve a dimension of 97mm

.......... Mark, you might like to ask your mechanic how he managed to achieve the 97mm air space after putting 125cc of extra oil, that is of course assuming he bothered to read the spec's &/or measure the air space
Back to top Go down
The Bern
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
The Bern

PostSubject: Re: Fork Seals and Settings etc. Help Please post fit.   Fork Seals and Settings etc. Help Please post fit. I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 16, 2019 5:08 pm

Silverwingdays wrote:
I am wondering if I should ask them to put in the 10w oil now as it will need to be done again, or hope the 125ml less of the 15w  helps enough ?

Its a shame as I did give them the right amount settings etc, but these things happen and very nice people.

No good being nice people if they stuff up your machine bud, also, if you change the grade of oil they can charge you again (change in job spec') removing the excess oil is correcting their own error & thus not chargable
Back to top Go down
Silverwingdays
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Fork Seals and Settings etc. Help Please post fit.   Fork Seals and Settings etc. Help Please post fit. I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 16, 2019 5:55 pm

Well I will see what they say tomorrow but pretty sure the extra 125ml would take it way over 97-100 mm after bled and compressed etc.

I so wish I had got the ibuprofen gel out, taken an extra BP tablet and done it myself now.

Oh well.

When he said 300ml was wrong 425ml was right I must admit I thought oh dear as the advice etc here is superb.

Do you think just 300ml of the 15w will be far better Bern and thanks and everyone.

PS Bugger.
Back to top Go down
Mech 1 twa
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Mech 1 twa

Number of posts : 1378
Registration date : 2016-01-02

PostSubject: Re: Fork Seals and Settings etc. Help Please post fit.   Fork Seals and Settings etc. Help Please post fit. I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 16, 2019 11:53 pm

High oil level can make fork stiffer. Fork is also an air spring. Air inside compresses, more oil=less space when compressed. I think Hyperpro oil level is 100MM but that's a very small difference.

More oil stiffer compression faster rebound. SW fork is very good on compression but I feel rebound could be stiffer.
Back to top Go down
The Bern
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
The Bern

PostSubject: Re: Fork Seals and Settings etc. Help Please post fit.   Fork Seals and Settings etc. Help Please post fit. I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 17, 2019 1:32 am

As advised above ^^^ bud get the volume sorted, iirc Flyingpanman upped to 20w but used original spec' quantities. TBH whatever grade you use it will be stiffer than the old used stuff you had drained out.
Back to top Go down
Silverwingdays
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Fork Seals and Settings etc. Help Please post fit.   Fork Seals and Settings etc. Help Please post fit. I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 17, 2019 3:45 am

Well off over soon but it was putting out fine rings of oil last night !!!

I think thats me cured of going to bike shops etc.

I`ll take the specs over again and hope they use them.

Thank you again all.
Back to top Go down
Silverwingdays
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Fork Seals and Settings etc. Help Please post fit.   Fork Seals and Settings etc. Help Please post fit. I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 17, 2019 5:36 pm

Well went back today and they were very pleasant etc and took out the 15w and put in the Motul 10w of mine I took along at 300ml.

When I just sat on the bike you could feel the difference immediately, not rigid as such.

Plenty of give but not too much when rocking as well and rode really nicely on the way home.

I can`t help thinking with 10W in with the Hypero`s you get the best of both worlds.

Anyway nothing extra to pay just an extra gallon of juice and the litre of oil sat on the shelf doing nothing anyway.

Thank you again people.

Next job I may even try myself when I fit the new belt is to fit a new clutch drum !!! ooeeerrr.
Back to top Go down
Loosemarbles
Site Admin
Loosemarbles

Number of posts : 1553
Registration date : 2016-10-01

PostSubject: Re: Fork Seals and Settings etc. Help Please post fit.   Fork Seals and Settings etc. Help Please post fit. I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 18, 2019 4:43 pm

See this... https://www.silverwing600.com/t10987-clutch-bell-how-to-remove-replace?highlight=clutch+bell  or just type clutch bell into the search box above.

I recently fitted a replacement clutch bell (bought from a forum member) and was amazed at how easy it was. I didn't have the Honda specific tool. Of course, if you do have the tool it should be a doddle.

PM me if you have problems. This is what this forum is all about Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Fork Seals and Settings etc. Help Please post fit.   Fork Seals and Settings etc. Help Please post fit. I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Fork Seals and Settings etc. Help Please post fit.
Page 1 of 1