Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

Hi, Welcome to the Silverwing 600 Forum. We ask that you be polite and also introduce yourself on your 1st post. The members are friendly and helpful so just have fun. There is www.maxi-scoots.com site that is geared for all scooters and motorcycles.

HomeCalendarGalleryFAQSearchRegisterLog in
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» My journey to the SilverWing
A Ticking Noise After Hospital Visit I_icon_minitimeby cello33 Today at 6:26 pm

» Silverwing600 Google Map
A Ticking Noise After Hospital Visit I_icon_minitimeby arskal Today at 3:20 pm

» Security chains
A Ticking Noise After Hospital Visit I_icon_minitimeby DaveTheBear Today at 2:30 pm

» Hi all, another new member in the UK
A Ticking Noise After Hospital Visit I_icon_minitimeby Mike from NS Today at 2:08 pm

» Checking dipstick with trike kit
A Ticking Noise After Hospital Visit I_icon_minitimeby Russ Wristen Today at 1:22 pm

» New member intro...
A Ticking Noise After Hospital Visit I_icon_minitimeby "Hi Yo" Today at 12:16 pm

» Decided to get a 2018 Goldwing Tour DCT
A Ticking Noise After Hospital Visit I_icon_minitimeby Dale N. Today at 9:02 am

» Maxi-Scoots Meet-Up - Otsego Lake NY, Sept 10-15, 2019
A Ticking Noise After Hospital Visit I_icon_minitimeby Delray Yesterday at 11:11 pm

» How Do You Know When To Hold, Raise or Fold 'em?
A Ticking Noise After Hospital Visit I_icon_minitimeby Delray Yesterday at 11:09 pm

» WTB - Corbin (or similar type) Seat
A Ticking Noise After Hospital Visit I_icon_minitimeby Delray Yesterday at 11:05 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

A Ticking Noise After Hospital Visit

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Loosebearing
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Loosebearing

Number of posts : 269
Registration date : 2016-10-01

A Ticking Noise After Hospital Visit Empty
PostSubject: A Ticking Noise After Hospital Visit   A Ticking Noise After Hospital Visit I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 14, 2019 6:20 am

Now here's a strange one.I visit my Partner at a Hospital about 35 miles away each day on the SW. The bike is running fine, however, after about 4 to 5 hours of visit time (bike parked up), I get on the bike to come home and there is a ticking noise coming from somewhere under the tunnel, I think!.....it's quite loud.

It ticks in perfect time with the engine RPM and sounds rather like tappet noise. I ignore it and continue with my ride home. Sometimes I stop at the pub for a pint before I reach home and spend about half an hour there and then remount to ride home.....but no ticking noise.

It only makes this noise after being parked up at the Hospital, I don't hear it at any other time. My SW is 2001 with 27000 miles.

It's got me puzzled Question
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 3098
Registration date : 2009-06-12

PostSubject: Re: A Ticking Noise After Hospital Visit   A Ticking Noise After Hospital Visit I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 14, 2019 9:20 am

TIME...tick tock...Time!... So the noise develops during a long-ish rest period. scratch Hmm... The only thing that happens when the bike isn't running is that the engine cools and the oil gradually drains away from the upper cylinder area. In which case it would take some time to replenish after the engine has started.

I would: 1) check the oil level before starting after that 5-hour rest. And again shortly after arriving at the pub. 2) Try to determine the origin to the noise. Lift the seat; remove the spark plug cover; use a mechanics stethoscope or other listening device to probe the areas. Especially around the variator and driven pulley areas. 3) Test run with the belt case and covers removed. 4) Remove the tunnel cover and test. It could be arcing spark plug wires, etc. 5) Test run with the tunnel cover and belt removed.

My 2¢ opinions on a Sunday morning.

Tim
Back to top Go down
Loosebearing
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Loosebearing

PostSubject: Re: A Ticking Noise After Hospital Visit   A Ticking Noise After Hospital Visit I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 14, 2019 12:14 pm

Quite a lot of info for just 2¢, great value for money here on the forum! Thanks Tim.

I'll have a look at all the things you mentioned during the next week. I have a new drive belt, oil and oil filter, spark plugs and air filter to fit this week so it's a good opportunity to go have a look. I think I'll take the clutch assembly apart for a clean while I'm there.....(I've also noticed an occasional 'whining' during low speed manoeuvring but that's another story).

Tim, I do suspect some wear in the variator and ramp plate. Do you think that installing sliders, rather than rollers, might take up any 'slack'?

I'll post my findings after my service/inspection regarding the ticking noise.

BTW, what is the difference between a tick and a tock?
Back to top Go down
Mike from NS
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
Mike from NS

Number of posts : 360
Registration date : 2013-09-12

PostSubject: Re: A Ticking Noise After Hospital Visit   A Ticking Noise After Hospital Visit I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 14, 2019 12:34 pm

Loosebearing wrote:

BTW, what is the difference between a tick and a tock?

May I try to answer that question? We had a doctor give a talk about Lymne and ticks. I called it a tick tock ! So a tick is a nasty little critter that can cause grief, and a tock is a presentation on a given subject --- also called a talk. Twisted Evil

Mike
Back to top Go down
Loosebearing
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Loosebearing

PostSubject: Re: A Ticking Noise After Hospital Visit   A Ticking Noise After Hospital Visit I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 14, 2019 12:38 pm

Was said Doctor Scottish by any chance? Wink
Back to top Go down
Mike from NS
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
Mike from NS

PostSubject: Re: A Ticking Noise After Hospital Visit   A Ticking Noise After Hospital Visit I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 14, 2019 2:55 pm

I'm sure there is a humorous point to the question .... "Scottish Doc by chance ?" ... but I'm missing the humor ... sorry. In fact he was a Chinese doctor from Vancouver, BC. He was at the fore-front of Lyme disease cures but his methods were considered outside the regular treatments such that he was banned from practice of medicine. The funny thing is that his methods were the only things that were working. Only in recent years is it that the medical "community" is starting to take Lyme seriously here. A most nasty disease indeed. So the tick-tock Doc was Chinese.

And more to the topic at hand.... I read once (years ago) about a fellow that traveled to the same place on a weekly basis. Always the same distance and travel time. After the point of his trip and very close to 20 minutes after he arrived he would leave for the return home. Always the same duration of visit at his destination. Most times his car wouldn't start ...Some times he may stop on his way at a shop for only a few minutes. No restarting problems then. It seemed that the 20 minutes of car cooling was the cause of re-starting problem. After much consulting with all his mechanic friends, (most of which were stumped for a solution) someone suggested vapor lock. I think whatever the cure for this was cured his re-starting problems.

Your story brought this to mind ..... similar, but completely different for sure. Tim's suggestion leads to thinking what happens while you are stopped --- somewhat like the guy with vapor lock. It is time based ... tick-tock,,,tick-tock,,,,tick-tock....

Mike
Back to top Go down
Loosebearing
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Loosebearing

PostSubject: Re: A Ticking Noise After Hospital Visit   A Ticking Noise After Hospital Visit I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 14, 2019 3:10 pm

If a Scotsman were to say 'talk' it might sound like 'tock' to the untrained ear...Nova Scotia means New Scotland in Latin, I thought there may be a connection.....however, the curious story about vapour lock sounds feasible in that case.

Maybe I've upset the space/time continuum with my high speed jaunts to the hospital. I need to set the flux-capacitor to sub-light speed in future.
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 3098
Registration date : 2009-06-12

PostSubject: Re: A Ticking Noise After Hospital Visit   A Ticking Noise After Hospital Visit I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 14, 2019 4:26 pm

Loosebearing wrote:
 Maybe I've upset the space/time continuum with my high speed jaunts to the hospital. I need to set the flux-capacitor to sub-light speed in future.
Ah ha! So then it is possible that a phase shift in the continuum might explain the occurrence of that tick sound. In a similar vein I know that a space/time phase shift is what happens in my clothes dryer which results in a missing sock. The sock is actually right there but in a parellel dimension and is sure to reappear nearby when another phase shift occurs.  

A Ticking Noise After Hospital Visit Image30
Back to top Go down
The Bern
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
The Bern

Number of posts : 760
Registration date : 2014-11-20

PostSubject: Re: A Ticking Noise After Hospital Visit   A Ticking Noise After Hospital Visit I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 14, 2019 5:35 pm

Cosmic_Jumper wrote:
In a similar vein I know that a space/time phase shift is what happens in my clothes dryer which results in a missing sock. The sock is actually right there but in a parellel dimension and is sure to reappear nearby when another phase shift occurs.  

Nah. Alexei Sayle gives a full expanation about missing socks in The Fish People Tapes, listen to the series and you will never eat another McDonald's burger again Shocked
Back to top Go down
Mike from NS
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
Mike from NS

PostSubject: Re: A Ticking Noise After Hospital Visit   A Ticking Noise After Hospital Visit I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 14, 2019 8:31 pm

Loosebearing wrote:
If a Scotsman were to say 'talk' it might sound like 'tock' to the untrained ear...Nova Scotia means New Scotland in Latin, I thought there may be a connection.....
Ah yes ... I see the possibility .... I mean "aye !"
Back to top Go down
Loosebearing
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Loosebearing

PostSubject: Re: A Ticking Noise After Hospital Visit   A Ticking Noise After Hospital Visit I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 15, 2019 4:51 am

I change into regular clothes whilst visiting my partner and during my last visit to the hospital my Moto GP bike socks disappeared from the ward...seriously!

Tim, keep a look out for them in your clothes dryer confused
Back to top Go down

A Ticking Noise After Hospital Visit
Page 1 of 1