Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» New member from Europe
A Ticking Noise After Hospital Visit I_icon_minitimeby steve_h80 Today at 4:47 am

» New Silverwing owner, thoughts and questions
A Ticking Noise After Hospital Visit I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Yesterday at 4:25 pm

» Will my 2002 Silverwing 600 fit in the bed of my F150 Ford with Tailgat up or down?
A Ticking Noise After Hospital Visit I_icon_minitimeby tedebr Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:56 pm

» Is this a good price for a Silverwing 2006
A Ticking Noise After Hospital Visit I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:19 pm

» What were they thinking?
A Ticking Noise After Hospital Visit I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:57 am

» Hello everyone
A Ticking Noise After Hospital Visit I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:54 am

» Sidelight Bulbs
A Ticking Noise After Hospital Visit I_icon_minitimeby Green7 Mon Mar 25, 2024 5:25 pm

» Voyager trike kit forsale
A Ticking Noise After Hospital Visit I_icon_minitimeby Mkdelay12@gmail.com Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:41 pm

» tiny oil leak
A Ticking Noise After Hospital Visit I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Sun Mar 24, 2024 1:41 pm

» Low charging
A Ticking Noise After Hospital Visit I_icon_minitimeby yammer Sat Mar 23, 2024 1:49 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

A Ticking Noise After Hospital Visit

Go down 
+5
oldwingguy
The Bern
Mike from NS
Cosmic_Jumper
Loosemarbles
9 posters
AuthorMessage
Loosemarbles
Site Admin
Loosemarbles

Number of posts : 1552
Registration date : 2016-10-01

A Ticking Noise After Hospital Visit Empty
PostSubject: A Ticking Noise After Hospital Visit   A Ticking Noise After Hospital Visit I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 14, 2019 6:20 am

Now here's a strange one.I visit my Partner at a Hospital about 35 miles away each day on the SW. The bike is running fine, however, after about 4 to 5 hours of visit time (bike parked up), I get on the bike to come home and there is a ticking noise coming from somewhere under the tunnel, I think!.....it's quite loud.

It ticks in perfect time with the engine RPM and sounds rather like tappet noise. I ignore it and continue with my ride home. Sometimes I stop at the pub for a pint before I reach home and spend about half an hour there and then remount to ride home.....but no ticking noise.

It only makes this noise after being parked up at the Hospital, I don't hear it at any other time. My SW is 2001 with 27000 miles.

It's got me puzzled Question
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

PostSubject: Re: A Ticking Noise After Hospital Visit   A Ticking Noise After Hospital Visit I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 14, 2019 9:20 am

TIME...tick tock...Time!... So the noise develops during a long-ish rest period. scratch Hmm... The only thing that happens when the bike isn't running is that the engine cools and the oil gradually drains away from the upper cylinder area. In which case it would take some time to replenish after the engine has started.

I would: 1) check the oil level before starting after that 5-hour rest. And again shortly after arriving at the pub. 2) Try to determine the origin to the noise. Lift the seat; remove the spark plug cover; use a mechanics stethoscope or other listening device to probe the areas. Especially around the variator and driven pulley areas. 3) Test run with the belt case and covers removed. 4) Remove the tunnel cover and test. It could be arcing spark plug wires, etc. 5) Test run with the tunnel cover and belt removed.

My 2¢ opinions on a Sunday morning.

Tim
Back to top Go down
Loosemarbles
Site Admin
Loosemarbles

PostSubject: Re: A Ticking Noise After Hospital Visit   A Ticking Noise After Hospital Visit I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 14, 2019 12:14 pm

Quite a lot of info for just 2¢, great value for money here on the forum! Thanks Tim.

I'll have a look at all the things you mentioned during the next week. I have a new drive belt, oil and oil filter, spark plugs and air filter to fit this week so it's a good opportunity to go have a look. I think I'll take the clutch assembly apart for a clean while I'm there.....(I've also noticed an occasional 'whining' during low speed manoeuvring but that's another story).

Tim, I do suspect some wear in the variator and ramp plate. Do you think that installing sliders, rather than rollers, might take up any 'slack'?

I'll post my findings after my service/inspection regarding the ticking noise.

BTW, what is the difference between a tick and a tock?
Back to top Go down
Mike from NS
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
Mike from NS

Number of posts : 461
Registration date : 2013-09-12

PostSubject: Re: A Ticking Noise After Hospital Visit   A Ticking Noise After Hospital Visit I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 14, 2019 12:34 pm

Loosebearing wrote:

BTW, what is the difference between a tick and a tock?

May I try to answer that question? We had a doctor give a talk about Lymne and ticks. I called it a tick tock ! So a tick is a nasty little critter that can cause grief, and a tock is a presentation on a given subject --- also called a talk. Twisted Evil

Mike
Back to top Go down
Loosemarbles
Site Admin
Loosemarbles

PostSubject: Re: A Ticking Noise After Hospital Visit   A Ticking Noise After Hospital Visit I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 14, 2019 12:38 pm

Was said Doctor Scottish by any chance? Wink
Back to top Go down
Mike from NS
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
Mike from NS

PostSubject: Re: A Ticking Noise After Hospital Visit   A Ticking Noise After Hospital Visit I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 14, 2019 2:55 pm

I'm sure there is a humorous point to the question .... "Scottish Doc by chance ?" ... but I'm missing the humor ... sorry. In fact he was a Chinese doctor from Vancouver, BC. He was at the fore-front of Lyme disease cures but his methods were considered outside the regular treatments such that he was banned from practice of medicine. The funny thing is that his methods were the only things that were working. Only in recent years is it that the medical "community" is starting to take Lyme seriously here. A most nasty disease indeed. So the tick-tock Doc was Chinese.

And more to the topic at hand.... I read once (years ago) about a fellow that traveled to the same place on a weekly basis. Always the same distance and travel time. After the point of his trip and very close to 20 minutes after he arrived he would leave for the return home. Always the same duration of visit at his destination. Most times his car wouldn't start ...Some times he may stop on his way at a shop for only a few minutes. No restarting problems then. It seemed that the 20 minutes of car cooling was the cause of re-starting problem. After much consulting with all his mechanic friends, (most of which were stumped for a solution) someone suggested vapor lock. I think whatever the cure for this was cured his re-starting problems.

Your story brought this to mind ..... similar, but completely different for sure. Tim's suggestion leads to thinking what happens while you are stopped --- somewhat like the guy with vapor lock. It is time based ... tick-tock,,,tick-tock,,,,tick-tock....

Mike
Back to top Go down
Loosemarbles
Site Admin
Loosemarbles

PostSubject: Re: A Ticking Noise After Hospital Visit   A Ticking Noise After Hospital Visit I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 14, 2019 3:10 pm

If a Scotsman were to say 'talk' it might sound like 'tock' to the untrained ear...Nova Scotia means New Scotland in Latin, I thought there may be a connection.....however, the curious story about vapour lock sounds feasible in that case.

Maybe I've upset the space/time continuum with my high speed jaunts to the hospital. I need to set the flux-capacitor to sub-light speed in future.
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

PostSubject: Re: A Ticking Noise After Hospital Visit   A Ticking Noise After Hospital Visit I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 14, 2019 4:26 pm

Loosebearing wrote:
 Maybe I've upset the space/time continuum with my high speed jaunts to the hospital. I need to set the flux-capacitor to sub-light speed in future.
Ah ha! So then it is possible that a phase shift in the continuum might explain the occurrence of that tick sound. In a similar vein I know that a space/time phase shift is what happens in my clothes dryer which results in a missing sock. The sock is actually right there but in a parellel dimension and is sure to reappear nearby when another phase shift occurs.  

A Ticking Noise After Hospital Visit Image30
Back to top Go down
The Bern
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
The Bern

Number of posts : 897
Registration date : 2014-11-20

PostSubject: Re: A Ticking Noise After Hospital Visit   A Ticking Noise After Hospital Visit I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 14, 2019 5:35 pm

Cosmic_Jumper wrote:
In a similar vein I know that a space/time phase shift is what happens in my clothes dryer which results in a missing sock. The sock is actually right there but in a parellel dimension and is sure to reappear nearby when another phase shift occurs.  

Nah. Alexei Sayle gives a full expanation about missing socks in The Fish People Tapes, listen to the series and you will never eat another McDonald's burger again Shocked
Back to top Go down
Mike from NS
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
Mike from NS

PostSubject: Re: A Ticking Noise After Hospital Visit   A Ticking Noise After Hospital Visit I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 14, 2019 8:31 pm

Loosebearing wrote:
If a Scotsman were to say 'talk' it might sound like 'tock' to the untrained ear...Nova Scotia means New Scotland in Latin, I thought there may be a connection.....
Ah yes ... I see the possibility .... I mean "aye !"
Back to top Go down
Loosemarbles
Site Admin
Loosemarbles

PostSubject: Re: A Ticking Noise After Hospital Visit   A Ticking Noise After Hospital Visit I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 15, 2019 4:51 am

I change into regular clothes whilst visiting my partner and during my last visit to the hospital my Moto GP bike socks disappeared from the ward...seriously!

Tim, keep a look out for them in your clothes dryer confused
Back to top Go down
Loosemarbles
Site Admin
Loosemarbles

PostSubject: Re: A Ticking Noise After Hospital Visit   A Ticking Noise After Hospital Visit I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 07, 2019 2:56 pm

Well, I now reckon that the ticking noise is tupperware rattle. Done all the checks and inspections and today, when leaving the hospital, it sounds much more like plastic rattling.

I'm gonna live with it for now and have a look 'under the tunnel' when I'm feeling brave!
Back to top Go down
oldwingguy
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 1936
Registration date : 2016-01-29

PostSubject: Re: A Ticking Noise After Hospital Visit   A Ticking Noise After Hospital Visit I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 07, 2019 3:56 pm

SWAG by me but perhaps before tearing into it you could pick an area and use GOOD duct tape to bridge across gaps tighten the panels and see if the TICK goes away.
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3291
Registration date : 2009-08-18

PostSubject: Re: A Ticking Noise After Hospital Visit   A Ticking Noise After Hospital Visit I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 07, 2019 5:01 pm

I fixed the little noises I found with stainless, small sheet metal screws. As these scooter age and miles pile up, there are panel noises, period.
Back to top Go down
oldwingguy
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: A Ticking Noise After Hospital Visit   A Ticking Noise After Hospital Visit I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 07, 2019 8:50 pm

John my friend had S.S. self taping screws in several places on his GW he said better than buying new panels.
Back to top Go down
Loosemarbles
Site Admin
Loosemarbles

PostSubject: Re: A Ticking Noise After Hospital Visit   A Ticking Noise After Hospital Visit I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 08, 2019 11:37 am

Good idea. I'll get into all that during the winter. I've already added a third plastic nut and bolt to secure the rear number plate which had been creating a rattle on hard acceleration for many a year.
Back to top Go down
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2658
Registration date : 2009-07-17

PostSubject: Re: A Ticking Noise After Hospital Visit   A Ticking Noise After Hospital Visit I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 09, 2019 1:09 am

Loosebearing, you don't have a Pacemaker do you? Besides what do you expect with that handle?
Back to top Go down
Loosemarbles
Site Admin
Loosemarbles

PostSubject: Re: A Ticking Noise After Hospital Visit   A Ticking Noise After Hospital Visit I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 10, 2019 8:10 am

Laughing I could have chosen 'Loosemarbles' but it might give people the wrong idea.
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

PostSubject: Re: A Ticking Noise After Hospital Visit   A Ticking Noise After Hospital Visit I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 10, 2019 9:22 am

"Loosemarbles"? Hey, as Site Admin I can "edit" your account and tweak your screen name. If you'd like.

Tim

Even give you a new avatar

A Ticking Noise After Hospital Visit Image35
Back to top Go down
Loosemarbles
Site Admin
Loosemarbles

PostSubject: Re: A Ticking Noise After Hospital Visit   A Ticking Noise After Hospital Visit I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 10, 2019 3:41 pm

Tim, you're a genius. Do it...including the avatar.

Maybe it's the cause of the ticking noise after all cheers
Back to top Go down
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2658
Registration date : 2009-07-17

PostSubject: Re: A Ticking Noise After Hospital Visit   A Ticking Noise After Hospital Visit I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 10, 2019 8:10 pm

Loosemarbles wouldn't be too good of a name for two wheel riders because the general public seems to have the opinion all of us have loosemarbles for riding. They'll never know why we do it. My wife and I have two cars and they serve us well but the scooter or motorcycle works for me as well as andi-depression pills. When I'm down a bit due to increasing age caused disability I just go out and ride down a nice twisty road and I feel good for the next few days. It's one thing I can still do well and I love the feeling.
Back to top Go down
Mech 1 twa
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Mech 1 twa

Number of posts : 1378
Registration date : 2016-01-02

PostSubject: Re: A Ticking Noise After Hospital Visit   A Ticking Noise After Hospital Visit I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 10, 2019 8:50 pm

Heavy is the head that wears the crown. Loosemarbles? As long as it's not in a corner I'm OK with that.

Hit some loose gravel last weekend went for a good slide but that's another story . Tar and chip that gets washed down and impossible to see. Old dirt biking days saved my butt.

Risk is worth the reward.
Back to top Go down
Loosemarbles
Site Admin
Loosemarbles

PostSubject: Re: A Ticking Noise After Hospital Visit   A Ticking Noise After Hospital Visit I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 11, 2019 12:00 pm

It wasn't my fault your honour, he (Tim) made me do it!

Anyhow, motorists are only jealous of bikers. I find that when I climb into the car I grow these horns on my head and start growling whenever the wheels stop turning. Not fair on other road users really, I'm a nuisance when behind the wheel and avoid driving whenever possible.
Back to top Go down
janitorj1
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 104
Registration date : 2014-09-07

PostSubject: Re: A Ticking Noise After Hospital Visit   A Ticking Noise After Hospital Visit I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 11, 2019 8:15 pm

My Dear Loosemarbles,

I mean no disrespect, diminuation of your status here, nor any other form of disrespect either perceived or actual. However, comma...

Please come to America and be our real "Burger King". You'll be rich beyond your wildest dreams.

Jon

2005 SW Yellow - In the shop for new sliders/rollers/belt/going through.
Back to top Go down
oldwingguy
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: A Ticking Noise After Hospital Visit   A Ticking Noise After Hospital Visit I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 11, 2019 8:49 pm

LOL, Burger King, sign in a local mom and pop place;

This ain't Burger King
You get it MY way
or you don't get it. Laughing
Back to top Go down
Mech 1 twa
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Mech 1 twa

Number of posts : 1378
Registration date : 2016-01-02

PostSubject: Re: A Ticking Noise After Hospital Visit   A Ticking Noise After Hospital Visit I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 11, 2019 9:42 pm

Change it back that photo is annoying on so many different levels. Shocked
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: A Ticking Noise After Hospital Visit   A Ticking Noise After Hospital Visit I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

A Ticking Noise After Hospital Visit
Page 1 of 1