Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Rear shock longevity
Planning on a ride this July into Canada I_icon_minitimeby steve_h80 Today at 2:50 am

» Final Drive Noise banished
Planning on a ride this July into Canada I_icon_minitimeby dovahkiin Today at 1:29 am

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
Planning on a ride this July into Canada I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Yesterday at 7:40 am

» What did you do to your SW today.
Planning on a ride this July into Canada I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:26 pm

» YSS rear shocks
Planning on a ride this July into Canada I_icon_minitimeby StuartBrown Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:36 pm

» New to Me Swing
Planning on a ride this July into Canada I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:06 pm

» SOLD 2004 Honda Silver Wing for sale, tastefully modded SOLD
Planning on a ride this July into Canada I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Sun Apr 14, 2024 2:29 pm

» peace, love and life
Planning on a ride this July into Canada I_icon_minitimeby cello33 Fri Apr 12, 2024 6:35 pm

» Fork specs, please help before 9/4/2024
Planning on a ride this July into Canada I_icon_minitimeby Anders L Thu Apr 11, 2024 9:58 am

» Forgive My Rookie Questions
Planning on a ride this July into Canada I_icon_minitimeby AldusFran Wed Apr 10, 2024 2:16 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Planning on a ride this July into Canada

Go down 
+4
GHM-PM
john grinsel
Mike from NS
Easyrider
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Easyrider
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Easyrider

Number of posts : 1012
Registration date : 2015-12-18

Planning on a ride this July into Canada Empty
PostSubject: Planning on a ride this July into Canada   Planning on a ride this July into Canada I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 07, 2019 5:30 am

Wife and I want to see some sites of Canada. We plan to start from Coeur d'Alene Idaho and travel to Glacier National Park in Montana. From there we want to cross into Canada and spend maybe four days. Our trip would return us back to Couer d'Alene Idaho.

Any places of interest and roads to travel would help. Any suggestions on gear we should bring would also be of great help.

I have a 2004 Silverwing600 that has a Voyager trike installed. We plan to stay in hotels/motels every 200-300 miles. 300 miles may be pushing it as my wife does not ride with me on my Swing here is Hawaii.
Back to top Go down
Mike from NS
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
Mike from NS

Number of posts : 462
Registration date : 2013-09-12

PostSubject: Re: Planning on a ride this July into Canada   Planning on a ride this July into Canada I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 07, 2019 6:33 am

Being one of the Canadians on the site here I feel I should reply; but sadly I have nothing to offer as far as suggestions go for traveling the west. But want to wish you a great trip and welcome you to "the great white north." John has ridden into Canada a number of times and I think most of us realize he is "our" long distance rider. Any of his gear suggestions would have meaning and value. One thing I can point out is that Canadian highway speeds are posted in kilometers/hour. And another thing ...our gasoline is very expensive.

If you were traveling to the Atlantic regions Jay and I might suggest to pack lots of rain gear because with all the rain we are having lately, you will wear out a set or two.

Have a great trip!
Mike
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3294
Registration date : 2009-08-18

PostSubject: Re: Planning on a ride this July into Canada   Planning on a ride this July into Canada I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 07, 2019 7:14 am

I can add: rain gear including rubber boots, stuff to keep warm and remember trikes with on wheel in front tip over.   Spare drive belt always nice to have when scooter is doing something it was not designed for. Tire repair kit, including pump----hand pump better than electric.  My first bike trip to Canada---1957. I tend to ride into Canada in recent years, just about every year.

Passport required, check your towing insurance

[Edit] Edit by Admin.
Back to top Go down
GHM-PM
Site Admin
GHM-PM

Number of posts : 2551
Registration date : 2012-05-17

PostSubject: Re: Planning on a ride this July into Canada   Planning on a ride this July into Canada I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 07, 2019 8:17 am

Easy, that is some beautiful country! Watch out for critters! We saw deer, elk and grizzly in the Park. Be especially wary at dawn and dusk. Take a REAL camera, phones are nice but you will regret some of the shots you miss! I use a Nikon AND my phone for close-ups. Binoculars are a must if you have room.
If you get the chance and have the dosh spend a night at the St. Mary Lodge, I didn't and now want to go back and do it!!!
https://www.resortsandlodges.com/lodging/usa/montana/glacier-country/st-mary-lodge-resort.html

As was stated above gasoline is high across the border so fill in Montana whenever possible! Have fun!
Back to top Go down
oldwingguy
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 1936
Registration date : 2016-01-29

PostSubject: Re: Planning on a ride this July into Canada   Planning on a ride this July into Canada I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 07, 2019 11:02 am

And make sure the parks you want to visit are open, weather the main factor for road closures and even to many people at one time.
Back to top Go down
Easyrider
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Easyrider

PostSubject: Re: Planning on a ride this July into Canada   Planning on a ride this July into Canada I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 07, 2019 2:31 pm

What kind weather conditions can I expect in late June through July?
Back to top Go down
Mike from NS
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
Mike from NS

Number of posts : 462
Registration date : 2013-09-12

PostSubject: Re: Planning on a ride this July into Canada   Planning on a ride this July into Canada I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 07, 2019 8:21 pm

Easy, Not sure what it may be like where you are headed but,

try this page where you fill in the date and place for historical data.

http://climate.weather.gc.ca/historical_data/search_historic_data_e.html

Mike
Back to top Go down
cotetoi
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Number of posts : 757
Registration date : 2013-06-27

PostSubject: Re: Planning on a ride this July into Canada   Planning on a ride this July into Canada I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 07, 2019 8:47 pm

Easyrider, I don't think you need to worry about the weather out West: their forecast looks okay. I am on the East Coast like Mike, but I tend to keep up with the weather forecasts: that said: Forecasters are never totally right nor wrong, they work the percentages for a living, lie and still get paid !!!
One thing that hasn't been mentioned yet is : tie-downs, for yourselves. Apparently, in some parts out West, the mosquitoes are so big and plentiful they have been known to pick their quarry up and carry them off !! Winnipeg comes to mind. So, beware! TIC ( I just invented that: tongue in cheek).

Jay.

If you haven't heard of Lyme disease in Hawaii, it is a real threat on the mainland. Read up !
Back to top Go down
Bcook01
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 33
Registration date : 2015-11-05

PostSubject: Re: Planning on a ride this July into Canada   Planning on a ride this July into Canada I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 08, 2019 4:22 am

You will be close to one of the prettiest rides in western canada!
https://www.bentleymotorrad.com/riders-corner
Is a good start
Head north from coure d'laine and visit the okanagan valley and Kelowna.
Lots of B&B places, and 1.30 dollar makes it more appealing.
We have friends that are on the Lake in Coure D'Laine and visit them yearly.

You need to keep an eye on forest fires more than the weather. Tons of wineries...

Some of the best scenery in Canada. I enjoy hwy 2 west of Coure D'Laine to bellevue wa.
Enjoy your trip...should be memorable.

Btw We have a place in Kihei 😀
Aloha
Bob

Back to top Go down
Easyrider
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Easyrider

PostSubject: Re: Planning on a ride this July into Canada   Planning on a ride this July into Canada I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 10, 2019 6:08 pm

Change of plans. Wife wants to visit Vancouver and Victoria in British Columbia. So we plan to bike from Coeur d'Alene Idaho to Seattle then head north to Vancouver. Then take a ferry to Victoria. Returning to Couer d'Alene via Seattle.
Does anyone know if I can transport my Swing/trike on the ferry from Vancouver to Victoria?
Back to top Go down
oldwingguy
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 1936
Registration date : 2016-01-29

PostSubject: Re: Planning on a ride this July into Canada   Planning on a ride this July into Canada I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 11, 2019 6:43 am

Not right off hand but I'd bet on a web search, google to get the info. Good luck sounds like fun.
Back to top Go down
Crowen
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Crowen

Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2019-05-12

PostSubject: Re: Planning on a ride this July into Canada   Planning on a ride this July into Canada I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 11, 2019 11:39 am

4 days; wow, tight time frame. I have lived across Canada and spent 5 years in Victoria. From where you are, my (humble) advice would be make your way to Osoyoos, then to Princeton, to Hope, to Abbotsford. Just past Abbotsford, get on the Fraser Highway (The #1 Trans-Canada highway gets really busy after that). Make your way to White Rock, then to the Tsawwassen Ferry terminal. Don't worry about the ferries, they are huge and motorcycles get their own lane and loading area.
That will get you to Sidney which is the main ferry terminal on the island. Then into Victoria. On return,  I believe there is a ferry from Sidney BC to Anacortes WA. Then home.
The ride around Osoyoos is a 2 lane twisty highway with some awesome views! I've driven that route several times but not the ferry to Anacortes.
If you have AAA you are fine. Do a search on "Crowsnest Pass" and you will get lots of info.

*Not sure if you can make this run in 4 days tho! Wink
Back to top Go down
Easyrider
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Easyrider

PostSubject: Re: Planning on a ride this July into Canada   Planning on a ride this July into Canada I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 14, 2019 12:20 am

I have another question about regulations for my Swing. Are there any special requirements for my Swing in Canada?
Crowen... Thanks for the trip advise. We will study your route. Oh and by-the-way, however long it takes, it will take. I am concerned about the hotels/motels available in Vancouver and Victoria. Do I need to make reservations beforehand? We usually drive and start looking for a place to stay at around 2pm.
Back to top Go down
Crowen
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Crowen

Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2019-05-12

PostSubject: Re: Planning on a ride this July into Canada   Planning on a ride this July into Canada I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 16, 2019 2:50 pm

No special regs as long as registration and insurance up to date. July will be the height of holiday season especially in Victoria. Best to book ahead. The Empress or Swan's are both downtown Victoria and are very nice old world hotels but are $$. Lots of other options tho.

Sent from Topic'it App
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Planning on a ride this July into Canada   Planning on a ride this July into Canada I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Planning on a ride this July into Canada
Page 1 of 1