Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Rear shock longevity
Coolant change glitch I_icon_minitimeby Erdoc48 Today at 9:07 am

» Hi there guys
Coolant change glitch I_icon_minitimeby Kenjls Today at 7:20 am

» Final Drive Noise banished
Coolant change glitch I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Today at 7:14 am

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
Coolant change glitch I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Yesterday at 7:40 am

» What did you do to your SW today.
Coolant change glitch I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:26 pm

» YSS rear shocks for sale
Coolant change glitch I_icon_minitimeby StuartBrown Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:36 pm

» New to Me Swing
Coolant change glitch I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:06 pm

» SOLD 2004 Honda Silver Wing for sale, tastefully modded SOLD
Coolant change glitch I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Sun Apr 14, 2024 2:29 pm

» peace, love and life
Coolant change glitch I_icon_minitimeby cello33 Fri Apr 12, 2024 6:35 pm

» Fork specs, please help before 9/4/2024
Coolant change glitch I_icon_minitimeby Anders L Thu Apr 11, 2024 9:58 am

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Coolant change glitch

Go down 
+2
oldwingguy
Cosmic_Jumper
6 posters
AuthorMessage
cotetoi
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Number of posts : 757
Registration date : 2013-06-27

Coolant change glitch Empty
PostSubject: Coolant change glitch   Coolant change glitch I_icon_minitimeThu May 16, 2019 12:58 pm

I changed the coolant on my 2007, 25,000 mile SWing today. Everything went ok, except for a couple of accidental spills. However, I could only get in one full quart, measured. I filled the overflow reservoir a bit too much. Ran the engine about 5-10 minutes, three bars on temp, thinking it should drop the level in the radiator, but it stayed full and no way to add any more.
I can tell though that it should take more than one quart. Sounds like an air lock, but how to dislodge/clear it ? I could drain and catch the coolant and do it all over again, but surely there is another way !

Jay.

Back to top Go down
oldwingguy
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 1936
Registration date : 2016-01-29

PostSubject: Re: Coolant change glitch   Coolant change glitch I_icon_minitimeThu May 16, 2019 1:29 pm

Where are the levels after it cooled back to ambient temps?
Back to top Go down
cotetoi
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

PostSubject: Re: Coolant change glitch   Coolant change glitch I_icon_minitimeThu May 16, 2019 4:02 pm

I haven't checked yet; had an appointment and rain on and off all evening. But I'll check tomorrow morning before I do anything else.
I took the cap off the radiator when it cooled down slightly after the 5-10 minute run to operating temp. No change , it was still full to o/flowing.

Jay.
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

PostSubject: Re: Coolant change glitch   Coolant change glitch I_icon_minitimeThu May 16, 2019 5:30 pm

Jay,

Just a thought: You might consider loosening the ECT sensor enough to bleed any air trapped in the coolant system. The ECT sensor is the highest point in the cooling system and is a triangular shaped 3-wire connector located atop the engine and beneath the underseat cover. 

IIRC a member here had similar problems refilling the coolant and had to bleed the system to get the proper amount of coolant back in.

Tim
Back to top Go down
cotetoi
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

PostSubject: Re: Coolant change glitch   Coolant change glitch I_icon_minitimeThu May 16, 2019 7:20 pm

Thanks, Tim, I'll take a look tomorrow.

Jay.
Back to top Go down
oldwingguy
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: Coolant change glitch   Coolant change glitch I_icon_minitimeThu May 16, 2019 9:00 pm

cotetoi wrote:
I haven't checked yet; had an appointment and rain on and off all evening. But I'll check tomorrow morning before I do anything else.
I took the cap off the radiator when it cooled down slightly after the 5-10 minute run to operating temp. No change , it was still full to o/flowing.

Jay.

Remember you have that heat sink factor, it just might be WARMER after a few minuets of shut down.
Back to top Go down
cotetoi
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

PostSubject: Re: Coolant change glitch   Coolant change glitch I_icon_minitimeFri May 17, 2019 9:39 am

Quick update: I ran the bike for 20 minutes this morning, until the fan was triggered. The gauge stayed at 3 bars and did not overheat. I think I will let things be and just keep an eye on the reservoir. ( I am a bit anal when I have things on my mind ). I don't travel too far from home, and I have the CAA motorcycle coverage in case of trouble.
I did locate the ECT sensor. My manual ( big book) only mentions it in the engine removal section. Took me a while to find it: it is not under the cooling system anywhere ! I won't jiggle it unless I absolutely have to.
Thanks, Tim and oldwingguy.

Jay.
Back to top Go down
oldwingguy
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: Coolant change glitch   Coolant change glitch I_icon_minitimeFri May 17, 2019 10:52 am

Good,keep an eye on it and as long as it doesn't run hot you should be good to go. One thing that has worked for me on other cooling systems was to add only 2/3 thirds of the fluid start it up run it long enough to get up to and maintain temperature, shut down and latter in the day or overnight just top up the needed amount. One piece of equipment I have will only show full when at full operating temp, when cold I can't see the fluid in the expansion tank, that took some getting used to.
Back to top Go down
Mech 1 twa
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Mech 1 twa

Number of posts : 1381
Registration date : 2016-01-02

PostSubject: Re: Coolant change glitch   Coolant change glitch I_icon_minitimeFri May 17, 2019 8:38 pm

I replaced water pump last year and had a hard time getting all the air out. Topped it put rad. cap on ran it saw 4 bars and fans were on shut it down . Very slowly removed cap and added more coolant took 3 times to get it full.

I'd pull right pocket out again and check it cold to be sure.

Last edited by Mech 1 twa on Sun May 19, 2019 5:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
The Bern
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
The Bern

Number of posts : 897
Registration date : 2014-11-20

PostSubject: Re: Coolant change glitch   Coolant change glitch I_icon_minitimeSat May 18, 2019 5:03 am

You say the expansion tank is full bud, how full ? if it's so full that the fluid level is higher than the expansion pipe any airlock you may have will not be able to vent itself clear, try syphoning fluid out so that the initial level is lower than the pipe, then leave it idleing until the fan comes on.
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4174
Registration date : 2010-11-16

PostSubject: Re: Coolant change glitch   Coolant change glitch I_icon_minitimeSat May 18, 2019 5:35 am

Hi bud, not chaperoning those X9 Owners types round Shropshire today? Smile  

Those big plastic syringes with a length of plastic tubing on, an old poultry baster, or even an syringe type oil suction pump are all useful tools for removing coolant from the expansion tank.
Back to top Go down
The Bern
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
The Bern

Number of posts : 897
Registration date : 2014-11-20

PostSubject: Re: Coolant change glitch   Coolant change glitch I_icon_minitimeSat May 18, 2019 6:26 am

Meldrew wrote:
Hi bud, not chaperoning those X9 Owners types round Shropshire today?  Smile  

Those big plastic syringes with a length of plastic tubing on, an old poultry baster, or even an syringe type oil suction pump are all useful tools for removing coolant from the expansion tank.

Hi bud :Happy Holiday:

Was meant to be but, 'family matters' turned up so am in deepest Kent for a few days.

Turkey baster, that's the one, couldn't for the life of me remember what I used Embarassed
Back to top Go down
cotetoi
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

PostSubject: Re: Coolant change glitch   Coolant change glitch I_icon_minitimeSat May 18, 2019 7:00 pm

Guys, when I filled the coolant reservoir, I got it up about a half-inch above the top line, not all the way up. It is not up to the return tube. I checked the reservoir level today: no change. I took the bike out for an hour ride on the highway and city streets. Three bars on the temp, no warning lights, ran smooth, etc. I left the ear plugs off just so I could hear anything funny going on: no sweat, nothing unusual.
So, as it stands right now, I think I did everything right, but started doubting and second-guessing myself. But, will keep checking that reservoir just in case.
Thank you for all the helpful comments.

Jay.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Coolant change glitch   Coolant change glitch I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Coolant change glitch
Page 1 of 1