Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» New member from Europe
Nothing like a 2.5 hour oil change. I_icon_minitimeby alex_at Today at 7:55 pm

» New Silverwing owner, thoughts and questions
Nothing like a 2.5 hour oil change. I_icon_minitimeby alex_at Today at 7:54 pm

» Will my 2002 Silverwing 600 fit in the bed of my F150 Ford with Tailgat up or down?
Nothing like a 2.5 hour oil change. I_icon_minitimeby tedebr Yesterday at 2:56 am

» Is this a good price for a Silverwing 2006
Nothing like a 2.5 hour oil change. I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:19 pm

» What were they thinking?
Nothing like a 2.5 hour oil change. I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 9:57 am

» Hello everyone
Nothing like a 2.5 hour oil change. I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 9:54 am

» Sidelight Bulbs
Nothing like a 2.5 hour oil change. I_icon_minitimeby Green7 Mon Mar 25, 2024 9:25 pm

» Voyager trike kit forsale
Nothing like a 2.5 hour oil change. I_icon_minitimeby Mkdelay12@gmail.com Sun Mar 24, 2024 11:41 pm

» tiny oil leak
Nothing like a 2.5 hour oil change. I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Sun Mar 24, 2024 5:41 pm

» Low charging
Nothing like a 2.5 hour oil change. I_icon_minitimeby yammer Sat Mar 23, 2024 5:49 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Nothing like a 2.5 hour oil change.

Go down 
+2
Scootypuff Snr
dragonknight76
6 posters
AuthorMessage
dragonknight76
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
dragonknight76

Number of posts : 11
Registration date : 2019-03-25

Nothing like a 2.5 hour oil change. Empty
PostSubject: Nothing like a 2.5 hour oil change.   Nothing like a 2.5 hour oil change. I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 08, 2019 11:13 pm

Guess this is one of the downfalls to buying a used bike but sheesh.

I just spent 2.5 hours doing and oil change on my new to me SW.

Someone stripped the head off the oil plug which made it an absolute bear to get off. Lucky for me the local Honda cycle dealership actually stocked the drain plug. Next was who ever put the last oil filter on must have been King Kong because it refused to come off so that had to be done the hard way.

Was going to do my belt and rollers toady but ran out of energy after the oil change issues.

Eugene
Back to top Go down
Scootypuff Snr
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Scootypuff Snr

Number of posts : 232
Registration date : 2017-04-21

PostSubject: Re: Nothing like a 2.5 hour oil change.   Nothing like a 2.5 hour oil change. I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 08, 2019 11:49 pm

But on a plus, it's done properly now.

At a CMA meet an old biker over discussing having a workshop or garage (I currently don't) pointed out the beauty of when it ain't going right you can just close the door and walk away as fresh eyes make for new solutions

Be proud you managed to get it done
Back to top Go down
dekare
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
dekare

Number of posts : 125
Registration date : 2016-08-09

PostSubject: Re: Nothing like a 2.5 hour oil change.   Nothing like a 2.5 hour oil change. I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 09, 2019 12:21 am

Scootypuff Snr wrote:
But on a plus, it's done properly now.

At a CMA meet an old biker over discussing having a workshop or garage (I currently don't) pointed out the beauty of when it ain't going right you can just close the door and walk away as fresh eyes make for new solutions

Be proud you managed to get it done

I agree. There is a sense of accomplishment in DIY projects, as long as one does not need to be in a hurry. I tend to do mine over the winter months when if things get frustrating... I can turn the lights off, go in the house and call it a day.
Back to top Go down
dragonknight76
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
dragonknight76

Number of posts : 11
Registration date : 2019-03-25

PostSubject: Re: Nothing like a 2.5 hour oil change.   Nothing like a 2.5 hour oil change. I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 09, 2019 12:51 am

I definitely agree with the sense of accomplishment doing the work myself. I really enjoy doing the work myself plus I have the advantage of knowing it done correctly when I do the work myself. I will not take on a job unless I know I am capable of doing it.

The frustrating thing is I have most of the maintenance paper work for the SW from that last 3 years. After a little digging I found out it was a local motorcycle shop the did the last oil change meaning they were the one to put the oil filter on too tight. They even marked on the ticket they messed up the plug but did not replace it.
I now know that shop is off the list if I need any work done that I cannot do.
Back to top Go down
GHM-PM
Site Admin
GHM-PM

Number of posts : 2540
Registration date : 2012-05-17

PostSubject: Re: Nothing like a 2.5 hour oil change.   Nothing like a 2.5 hour oil change. I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 09, 2019 1:03 am

When I purchased my 2012 my intention at the time was that Honda would do the majority of service. The Silver Wing looked complicated and I am old and tired and figured let 'em do it!  But... Since the dealer is over 50 miles away, driving that for an oil change is ridiculous so I read Jeff's pictorial and did it myself. Since then the scoot has rarely seen a dealer and then usually for tires, I draw the line at those LOL. I have done the final drive fluid (easy), changed the air filter, the coolant and replaced the plugs. A friend on here helped me with the belt and rollers. So roll up your sleeves and save some bucks! Since I do my own oil changes the plug and filter are easy to get loose!!!
Back to top Go down
cotetoi
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Number of posts : 757
Registration date : 2013-06-27

PostSubject: Re: Nothing like a 2.5 hour oil change.   Nothing like a 2.5 hour oil change. I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 09, 2019 3:47 pm

I learned the hard way that you cannot trust a shop to do the right thing. My first bike, a vlx 600 was overfilled by the dealer's mechanic. The same bike, went to another shop for a rear tire change: left the shop thinking all is good. Rear brakes were not adjusted, overheated to the point of smoking !! I had to adjust at the side of the road. From those two incidents I have become a bit mechanic shy. I do my own routine maintenance; and if I have to go to the shop, I research the issue so I know they can't just waffle off a problem and charge for unnecessary work.

Jay.
Back to top Go down
oldwingguy
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 1936
Registration date : 2016-01-29

PostSubject: Re: Nothing like a 2.5 hour oil change.   Nothing like a 2.5 hour oil change. I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 10, 2019 12:48 pm

dragonknight76 wrote:
Guess this is one of the downfalls to buying a used bike but sheesh.

I just spent 2.5 hours doing and oil change on my new to me SW.

Someone stripped the head off the oil plug which made it an absolute bear to get off. Lucky for me the local Honda cycle dealership actually stocked the drain plug. Next was who ever put the last oil filter on must have been King Kong because it refused to come off so that had to be done the hard way.

Was going to do my belt and rollers toady but ran out of energy after the oil change issues.

Eugene

The oil plug on our S'Wings is aluminum, can you imagine my frustration when my first DIY on our 2017 Forester showed some ham fisted @#%@ beat up the STEEL plug so it looks like a 1917 plug. Yes I've had oil filters on vehicles done by " PRO's that required destruction to remove, as I told the service rep if I can't trust you to do an oil change how do I trust you to do anything else? Never went back there.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Nothing like a 2.5 hour oil change.   Nothing like a 2.5 hour oil change. I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Nothing like a 2.5 hour oil change.
Page 1 of 1