Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Hi there guys
Click, when I pull the front break. I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Today at 12:16 pm

» Rear shock longevity
Click, when I pull the front break. I_icon_minitimeby Erdoc48 Today at 9:07 am

» Final Drive Noise banished
Click, when I pull the front break. I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Today at 7:14 am

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
Click, when I pull the front break. I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Yesterday at 7:40 am

» What did you do to your SW today.
Click, when I pull the front break. I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:26 pm

» YSS rear shocks for sale
Click, when I pull the front break. I_icon_minitimeby StuartBrown Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:36 pm

» New to Me Swing
Click, when I pull the front break. I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:06 pm

» SOLD 2004 Honda Silver Wing for sale, tastefully modded SOLD
Click, when I pull the front break. I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Sun Apr 14, 2024 2:29 pm

» peace, love and life
Click, when I pull the front break. I_icon_minitimeby cello33 Fri Apr 12, 2024 6:35 pm

» Fork specs, please help before 9/4/2024
Click, when I pull the front break. I_icon_minitimeby Anders L Thu Apr 11, 2024 9:58 am

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Click, when I pull the front break.

Go down 
+2
GHM-PM
mrseanharford1
6 posters
AuthorMessage
mrseanharford1
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 14
Registration date : 2019-01-08

Click, when I pull the front break. Empty
PostSubject: Click, when I pull the front break.   Click, when I pull the front break. I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 11, 2019 4:45 pm

Afternoon,
When I get on the sw and use the front brake for the 1st time in the morning, or if i haven't driven it in a few hours, as soon as i pull the right level to brake i heard a click. Just one time, it's sound like the brake pad is stuck for a split second. Any tips would be great.

Sean in S.Florida
Back to top Go down
GHM-PM
Site Admin
GHM-PM

Number of posts : 2553
Registration date : 2012-05-17

PostSubject: Re: Click, when I pull the front break.   Click, when I pull the front break. I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 12, 2019 7:47 am

I would assume this is from the micro-switch that operates the brake light. Perhaps it is sticking a bit? You might pick up some electronic cleaner spray at an auto parts store and try that. My turn signal switch sticks sometimes and a shot of the above straightens it right out. Good luck.
Back to top Go down
Mike from NS
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
Mike from NS

Number of posts : 462
Registration date : 2013-09-12

PostSubject: Re: Click, when I pull the front break.   Click, when I pull the front break. I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 19, 2019 1:10 pm

Sean,

Is this a sticky brake lever that clicks as you squeeze harder? Mine has been doing this and the next thing to clear up. It is almost like that described recently where harder squeezing can suddenly give a really sudden hard breaking of the front wheel. If it is not this likely Glenn has nailed the problem. God Bless your great hearing.

Mike
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

PostSubject: Re: Click, when I pull the front break.   Click, when I pull the front break. I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 19, 2019 5:47 pm

Piston in front caliper is not fully retracting.

Remove the brake pads, clean the pistons & dust seals with brake cleaner, push the pistons back into the caliper body. S L O W L Y squeeze the front lever so that the pistons extend 1/2" or so (you do not want the pistons to come out of the caliper completely). Do the brake cleaner thing again. Push the pistons back into the body. Then squeeze the lever again to extend the pistons. Repeat a couple of times.

You'll probably need a C-clamp and one brake pad to push the pistons back into the caliper.

While you have the caliper off clean & lube the pad clips and the pins.

Easy peasy.

Tim
Back to top Go down
Mike from NS
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
Mike from NS

Number of posts : 462
Registration date : 2013-09-12

PostSubject: Re: Click, when I pull the front break.   Click, when I pull the front break. I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 19, 2019 6:54 pm

Solved my "problem" with the sticky front break lever the easy way. A few shots of WD-40 on either side of the lever at the pivot pin did the trick. Followed this with a few drops of oil. Heck ... even can hear the single click that started this thread. I would bet this is the mirco switch for the break light.

However ... I will soon be following Tim's suggestion for cleaning the caliper and pistons. Nearly need new pads anyway. Thanks for the details Tim.

Mike
Back to top Go down
Delray
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
Delray

Number of posts : 397
Registration date : 2018-07-07

PostSubject: Re: Click, when I pull the front break.   Click, when I pull the front break. I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 19, 2019 7:52 pm

"However ... I will soon be following Tim's suggestion for cleaning the caliper and pistons."

I copied and saved the brake cleaning tips in my Silver Wing maintenance doc. Very helpful, Tim, as always. Thanks.
Back to top Go down
AldusFran
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 203
Registration date : 2015-06-13

PostSubject: Re: Click, when I pull the front break.   Click, when I pull the front break. I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 20, 2019 2:14 pm

Tim, I just read your easy fix about freeing the pistons. Would brake cleaner clean so well that the piston walls end up dry instead of having a slight amount of lubricant (brake fluid)? Maybe I'll try this and see if my pistons keep from hanging up. Another thing when you squeeze the front brakes ,are the large pistons supposed to move equally?
Back to top Go down
AldusFran
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 203
Registration date : 2015-06-13

PostSubject: Re: Click, when I pull the front break.   Click, when I pull the front break. I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 21, 2019 3:02 pm

Just a little update on my dragging pads. After six times of removing caliper and cleaning outside I decided to take my old (Honda pads) clean with brake cleaner and a little sanding on flat surface reinstalled now after applying brakes no more dragging. It seems the newer pads(Sixty organic semi-metallic) didn't allow pistons to get past a certain point thus causing drag. Further down the road the caliper will need a complete do-over.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Click, when I pull the front break.   Click, when I pull the front break. I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Click, when I pull the front break.
Page 1 of 1