Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» What were they thinking?
Commuting in little rock on darkside.... I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Today at 3:11 am

» Will my 2002 Silverwing 600 fit in the bed of my F150 Ford with Tailgat up or down?
Commuting in little rock on darkside.... I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Yesterday at 8:05 pm

» Earth cable stress
Commuting in little rock on darkside.... I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Yesterday at 7:29 pm

» Happy St. Patricks Day!
Commuting in little rock on darkside.... I_icon_minitimeby BrianInVA Yesterday at 5:11 pm

» Hello from Ontario, Canada
Commuting in little rock on darkside.... I_icon_minitimeby PerryH Sun Mar 17, 2024 7:05 pm

» LED Headlights
Commuting in little rock on darkside.... I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Sat Mar 16, 2024 7:52 am

» Cylinder Head Replacement
Commuting in little rock on darkside.... I_icon_minitimeby 95konig Fri Mar 15, 2024 9:50 pm

» Cooling fan still running
Commuting in little rock on darkside.... I_icon_minitimeby Terry Smith Wed Mar 13, 2024 3:18 pm

» March 2024 Forum Picture
Commuting in little rock on darkside.... I_icon_minitimeby Dale N. Wed Mar 13, 2024 2:38 pm

» Hyperpro Fork Springs
Commuting in little rock on darkside.... I_icon_minitimeby Mech 1 twa Sun Mar 10, 2024 7:31 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Commuting in little rock on darkside....

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
joebillybobinark
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 82
Registration date : 2017-04-19

Commuting in little rock on darkside.... Empty
PostSubject: Commuting in little rock on darkside....   Commuting in little rock on darkside.... I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 15, 2018 10:54 am

300 miles on DS, gotta make some changes.

I have a 2012 tricked out for long distance rides.  Original hoops. 3300 mi

I also have a 2013 with 9k miles used for commuting that I darksided in October.  My route to and from work features severely crowned streets.  Last few nights in the rain were a huge challenge with the tendency to hunt for the lowest part of the street. I don't mind leaning against the tire in dry conditions, but steady rain?  Love my ABS but....

My solution is this... I found a used abs rear rim with hoops on eBay (only a few hundred miles on the shoes)... $150. Heck tire alone is like $85..

So I will swap the rear tires from the '13 to the '12.  Use DS for long slab rides.  Will bring the hoop with me if I'm heading for some twisties.  Changing the rims isn't that bad to do.
Can't wait to head back to suches, ga for some chattahoochie forest rides.  April looks promising.
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3290
Registration date : 2009-08-18

PostSubject: Re: Commuting in little rock on darkside....   Commuting in little rock on darkside.... I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 15, 2018 5:56 pm

Glad you found out the 2 wheelers do not work so well with car tires. If car tires were so great roadracers would be using them.
Back to top Go down
GHM-PM
Site Admin
GHM-PM

Number of posts : 2537
Registration date : 2012-05-17

PostSubject: Re: Commuting in little rock on darkside....   Commuting in little rock on darkside.... I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 16, 2018 9:19 pm

I have ridden on DS tires before. My observation is they wear like iron (40K is not unusual) but handling is another story... They work fine on the superslab but on twisties not so much. So my choice is to stay with my 15K IRC's. YMMV
Back to top Go down
Easyrider
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Easyrider

Number of posts : 1012
Registration date : 2015-12-18

PostSubject: Re: Commuting in little rock on darkside....   Commuting in little rock on darkside.... I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 23, 2018 12:37 am

I went DS on my 2004 Swing with a Voyager trike kit. Not sure if the taller DS tire changed the rake which maybe causing some head shake. Will experiment with a MS tire when next I return to Idaho.
Back to top Go down
bandito2
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 181
Registration date : 2010-04-04

PostSubject: Re: Commuting in little rock on darkside....   Commuting in little rock on darkside.... I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 23, 2018 1:33 pm

Easyrider wrote:
I went DS on my 2004 Swing with a Voyager trike kit. Not sure if the taller DS tire changed the rake which maybe causing some head shake. Will experiment with a MS tire when next I return to Idaho.

Your bike's head shake is probably not because of taller tire. Rake angle, depending on how much taller the car tire is compared to the stock scooter tire, is only going to change the angle possibly up to about 1 degree. (More likely less than that.) Think of/experience how much the difference would actually be by backing the rear tire up onto a 1/2 inch thick piece of plywood. (that would approximate a tire 1 inch taller overall) Not much different at all is it?

You might notice the problem showing up at certain speeds... avoiding extended time at those speeds might help. But with that said...
More plausible would be loose head bearings, bad front axle bearings or overly rear biased weight distribution. (front wheel not loaded up enough makes it more susceptible to instability that can make head shake more likely). But it could also come from the difference in the interaction between the tracking aspects of the front tire and rear tire. The front with its round profile tends to want to turn the bike even at small angles, whereas the rear is always trying to stabilize it upright. (perpendicular to whatever the angle of the road surface is anyway) Weight distribution and frame flex can add to the possibility of initiating and/or exacerbating head shake.

Making sure everything is tightened up correctly and having some weight relocated more forward and lower will help prevent the onset of head shake. If it is absolutely resolved by going back to a bike tire, then maybe that is what you should do. Maybe the fact of using the trike kit on your particular scooter makes head shake more likely. Darkside works, but perhaps not as well as hoped or expected for your set up.
Back to top Go down
Easyrider
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Easyrider

Number of posts : 1012
Registration date : 2015-12-18

PostSubject: Re: Commuting in little rock on darkside....   Commuting in little rock on darkside.... I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 24, 2018 12:50 am

Thanks Bandito!
I may look for a taller front tire. Currently I have a new Avon Stryke tire. Will check the head and axle bearings when I do return to Idaho.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Commuting in little rock on darkside....   Commuting in little rock on darkside.... I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Commuting in little rock on darkside....
Page 1 of 1