Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

Hi, I am opening this site back up for new members. I closed it due to a few members complaining. Please just accept the site for what it is. The site is 'what it is'. We hope you enjoy the site. Please also join www.maxi-scoots.com

HomeCalendarGalleryFAQSearchRegisterLog in
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Learning to mind my own business
by "Hi Yo" Today at 1:00 pm

» My SilverWing riding days could be coming to a close
by Meldrew Today at 9:27 am

» New member from the uk
by siataukreg Today at 5:26 am

» Commuting in little rock on darkside....
by GHM-PM Yesterday at 9:19 pm

» Snow My Goodness
by Mech 1 twa Yesterday at 8:02 pm

» Christmas Dinner
by oldwingguy Thu Nov 15, 2018 3:53 pm

» I have a funny feeling about this.
by "Hi Yo" Thu Nov 15, 2018 11:30 am

» Selling my Silver Wing
by joebillybobinark Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:30 am

» Replacement Tyres
by GHM-PM Thu Nov 15, 2018 7:22 am

» start serious search for new bike/scooter
by Scootypuff Snr Wed Nov 14, 2018 4:22 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Share | 

Heart bypass: Best wishes for a quick recovery

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Easyrider
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Number of posts : 639
Registration date : 2015-12-18

PostSubject: Re: Heart bypass: Best wishes for a quick recovery   Tue Nov 06, 2018 3:51 pm

I will be prepping my Swing for a few months of storage here in Hawaii. Just learned that I will be needing heart bypass surgery soon. Looks like I have three blockages. Couldn't last four minutes on the stress test. Good thing my wife is also retired.
I know that recovery is different for everyone, and for those whom went through the process, how long did it take you before your doctor released you to ride again?
Back to top Go down
Scootypuff Snr
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 174
Registration date : 2017-04-21

PostSubject: Re: Heart bypass: Best wishes for a quick recovery   Thu Nov 08, 2018 5:49 am

Easyrider wrote:
I will be prepping my Swing for a few months of storage here in Hawaii. Just learned that I will be needing heart bypass surgery soon. Looks like I have three blockages. Couldn't last four minutes on the stress test. Good thing my wife is also retired.
I know that recovery is different for everyone, and for those whom went through the process, how long did it take you before your doctor released you to ride again?

Easyrider
Thoughts & prayers are with you for this,(let us know when you are admitted) though it's a pretty routine thing nowadays.
As for getting back in the saddle my mate had similar following two heart attacks (first shouldve killed him as he ignored it) & within 6 weeks flew put with us to Malta and did a tour. Hardest part for him (as there where diabetes complications) was balancing his meds (won't go into detail in case folk are eating when reading) bit you can imagine a strong dose of alien chemicals in the body has on the bowel.
Back to top Go down
Easyrider
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

PostSubject: Heart bypass: Best wishes for a quick recovery   Thu Nov 08, 2018 1:15 pm

Scootypuff Snr,
Thanks for your response. I too have diabetes and so far I am only on pills. How long did it take your mate to resume normal activities?
Back to top Go down
Scootypuff Snr
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 174
Registration date : 2017-04-21

PostSubject: Re: Heart bypass: Best wishes for a quick recovery   Thu Nov 08, 2018 2:24 pm

Easyrider wrote:
Scootypuff Snr,
Thanks for your response. I too have diabetes and so far I am only on pills. How long did it take your mate to resume normal activities?

Believe it or not light work load (painter & decorater) within 8 weeks as he's self employed so no entitlement to any benefits.
But obviously no heavy lifting (ladders/scaffold)
Rode out with him this Tuesday & you'd never known he'd been ill if not met before.
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Rubber band guru

Number of posts : 2588
Registration date : 2009-08-18

PostSubject: Re: Heart bypass: Best wishes for a quick recovery   Thu Nov 08, 2018 6:30 pm

Choose your Dr's wisely----I have lived thru heart attack and stroke, now type 2 diabetic, maybe some Agent Orange----but lived thru it and am fine....but I see Internal Med Dr....they can keep you alive---my experience, Heart people tend to over prescribe.---In addition to Internal Med Dr I have VA GP Dr watch me-----According to my downtown Dr, VA blood tests are the best and very comprehensive.----next birthday I will be 80 and feel fine and am active---attitude has a lot to do with it-----and riding bikes/scooters lots of miles. Good luck----get up and be active as soon as you can.
Back to top Go down
bikehiker
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 262
Registration date : 2017-09-07

PostSubject: Re: Heart bypass: Best wishes for a quick recovery   Thu Nov 08, 2018 8:05 pm

Best wishes. The indicator for when you can get back on your bike should be when the hospital/doctor indicates that you should begin physical therapy. My wife had heart work done and she was given a solid physical therapy program soon after. Your return to riding should coincide with initiation of that program.
Back to top Go down
Mike from NS
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 316
Registration date : 2013-09-12

PostSubject: Re: Heart bypass: Best wishes for a quick recovery   Sun Nov 11, 2018 10:26 am

Easyrider,

I was scrolling down this thread with my comments in mind ... then I read John's reply.  His comment about attitude is exactly what  my comment is.  A positive attitude goes a long way to speeding recovery.  Also give yourself time to heal.  The bike will be ready for you when you are ready.  Live to your "name" ... easyrider.

Looking forward to hearing how great your first ride was after this bump in the road of your life is all sorted out.

e mālie,
Mike
Back to top Go down
Easyrider
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

PostSubject: Re: Heart bypass: Best wishes for a quick recovery   Sun Nov 11, 2018 5:48 pm

Thanks ALL for your thoughts. I have my first visit with the surgeon tomorrow morning. Really thinking about my mortality. Never thought that it would happen to me. Went to the gym at least twice a week. Walked four miles a week. Do a lot of yard work around the house.
Once again a big mahalo!
Back to top Go down
Dale N.
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 1049
Registration date : 2014-02-13

PostSubject: Re: Heart bypass: Best wishes for a quick recovery   Sun Nov 11, 2018 10:41 pm

Prayers and Wishes to you Easyrider!
Heart bypass and diabetes both. I guess I don't have anything to complain about.
I met a man in his 30s at the nursing home where a friend of mine was recovering from a heart attack. He has brittle bone disease, kidney failure and needs a liver. I really have nothing to complain about!
Back to top Go down
oldwingguy
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 1042
Registration date : 2016-01-29

PostSubject: Re: Heart bypass: Best wishes for a quick recovery   Mon Nov 12, 2018 7:40 am

Easyrider wrote:
Thanks ALL for your thoughts. I have my first visit with the surgeon tomorrow morning. Really thinking about my mortality. Never thought that it would happen to me. Went to the gym at least twice a week. Walked four miles a week. Do a lot of yard work around the house.
Once again a big mahalo!

Good luck to you with the visit hoping perhaps you won't need as much work as anticipated, surgeons can do some amazing things these days.
Back to top Go down
nooner
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 28
Registration date : 2017-11-16

PostSubject: Re: Heart bypass: Best wishes for a quick recovery   Mon Nov 12, 2018 7:59 pm

Best wishes for a successful surgery and a quick and complete recovery, Easyrider.
Back to top Go down
cotetoi
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Number of posts : 623
Registration date : 2013-06-27

PostSubject: Re: Heart bypass: Best wishes for a quick recovery   Mon Nov 12, 2018 9:05 pm

Easyrider, easy does it when your ticker is involved. Cardiac arteries can be replaced by veins frm inside the chest wall. Less or no pain, leg vein harvesting requires longer recovery and pain from the leg surgery. Best I can tell you is to watch it, whatever it is: watch it with a lot of detachment, whatever it is. Best of luck.

Jay.
Back to top Go down
DickO
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Number of posts : 904
Registration date : 2008-12-23

PostSubject: Re: Heart bypass: Best wishes for a quick recovery   Mon Nov 12, 2018 9:16 pm

Hi "easyrider",
I want to add my best wishes for you to all the others here. Prayers for your speedy recovery.
Back to top Go down
Easyrider
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

PostSubject: Re: Heart bypass: Best wishes for a quick recovery   Tue Nov 13, 2018 12:22 am

Thanks all. A big MAHALO for all your thoughts. Met with the cardiac surgeon this morning. We scheduled the surgery for this Thursday at 8:30am. According to the doctor, I need to have a triple bypass, maybe quadruple if the last vein is large enough. I should be out of ICU by Saturday. Really makes me think about my mortality. Never thought that this could happen to me.
Back to top Go down
oldwingguy
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 1042
Registration date : 2016-01-29

PostSubject: Re: Heart bypass: Best wishes for a quick recovery   Tue Nov 13, 2018 1:17 pm

More prayers, my brother lived many years after his heart stem cell transplant hope you do too.
Back to top Go down

Heart bypass: Best wishes for a quick recovery
Page 1 of 1