Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Will my 2002 Silverwing 600 fit in the bed of my F150 Ford with Tailgat up or down?
start serious search for new bike/scooter I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Yesterday at 8:05 pm

» What were they thinking?
start serious search for new bike/scooter I_icon_minitimeby cotetoi Yesterday at 7:49 pm

» Earth cable stress
start serious search for new bike/scooter I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Yesterday at 7:29 pm

» Happy St. Patricks Day!
start serious search for new bike/scooter I_icon_minitimeby BrianInVA Yesterday at 5:11 pm

» Hello from Ontario, Canada
start serious search for new bike/scooter I_icon_minitimeby PerryH Sun Mar 17, 2024 7:05 pm

» LED Headlights
start serious search for new bike/scooter I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Sat Mar 16, 2024 7:52 am

» Cylinder Head Replacement
start serious search for new bike/scooter I_icon_minitimeby 95konig Fri Mar 15, 2024 9:50 pm

» Cooling fan still running
start serious search for new bike/scooter I_icon_minitimeby Terry Smith Wed Mar 13, 2024 3:18 pm

» March 2024 Forum Picture
start serious search for new bike/scooter I_icon_minitimeby Dale N. Wed Mar 13, 2024 2:38 pm

» Hyperpro Fork Springs
start serious search for new bike/scooter I_icon_minitimeby Mech 1 twa Sun Mar 10, 2024 7:31 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

start serious search for new bike/scooter

Go down 
+5
Mech 1 twa
john grinsel
bikehiker
sc00ter
Mt440
9 posters
AuthorMessage
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3290
Registration date : 2009-08-18

start serious search for new bike/scooter Empty
PostSubject: start serious search for new bike/scooter   start serious search for new bike/scooter I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 07, 2018 7:37 am

My CB300F has now been on road for year----trade in value in real terms about $2000. Added necessary accessories usually add nothing to value (Hepco & Becker C-Bow Bags and their luggage rack...not cheap stuff but necessary for serious riding and Puig windshield)

First stop, Southern Honda in Chattanooga---deals in left overs, probably still have SilverWings in stock---bought last left over SilverWing there, price ok and they took my near 50,000 mile Burgman in trade------At right price left over Honda Forza 300 might be ok. Another leftover SilverWing not ok unless give away price....they are too heavy/tail heavy for old fart

Then there is/are Yamaha/Suzuki? but seem to have Kymco hearts, so why not a Kymco?

Buying another scooter I want/need - - center stand/parking brake/place to bolt top box in/ability to have windshield that really works/nice handling/ and very important in US, ability to sprint to 80mph to keep from getting run over!

Motorcycles---Royal Enfield Himulayan---right price. they offer alu bags....have to think here.

With scooter market near dead in US---not much of the new stuff around---I see European market new Forza even has electric windshield---but the automatic keys are turn off for me.

Or of course....I can keep paid for CB300F, ride it until blows up....leave on road, fly home on Airline points I have. Something to think about.

Back to top Go down
Mt440
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 17
Registration date : 2017-05-19

PostSubject: BV350   start serious search for new bike/scooter I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 07, 2018 12:48 pm

John have you considered a BV350? It is light, lots of storage, and quality built.
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

PostSubject: Re: start serious search for new bike/scooter   start serious search for new bike/scooter I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 07, 2018 2:03 pm

BV 350----Italian....where are the dealers in US? I ride a lot. depend on dealers for warranty or emergency work. Having lived/worked in Italy===owned Vespas and Fiats----that stuff is just not as reliable as Japanese.
Back to top Go down
sc00ter
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 231
Registration date : 2018-07-16

PostSubject: Re: start serious search for new bike/scooter   start serious search for new bike/scooter I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 08, 2018 11:32 am

The Piaggio BV350 is a tank. But for me, if something did go wrong or I wanted to pay the dealer to do the service work-I dont trust our Piaggio local dealer. If they couldnt get a Genuine Buddy 125 right (one of the brands they also carry) they wont get a BV done right either. Local service I can trust is very important. But if you have a Piaggio dealer in your area do take one out for a test ride. I love big wheel scooters and the BV is one of the best! KYMCO does the People GT300 (Just Gotta Scoot .com does a bunch of road test, check 'em out!) and as much as I hate SYM, because of the importer, the HD200 is a great find new or used, though not really 80mph capable.
Back to top Go down
bikehiker
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
bikehiker

Number of posts : 433
Registration date : 2017-09-07

PostSubject: Re: start serious search for new bike/scooter   start serious search for new bike/scooter I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 08, 2018 8:50 pm

I like your three choices of Royal Enfield, Forza, or blowing out CB300. If you are looking into Royal Enfield, I am just suggesting that you stay away from the Himilayan and look at the newer two-cylinder 650 Continental or 650 Interceptor. The BS3 Himilayan had serious issues, and even the newer BS4 still has issues from owners. Royal Enfield bikes are to me among the best looking bikes ever produced. And now the serious development of their new 650s backed by their 3 yr warranty is tempting. I would like to see you take one of your many trips with your CB300 to your nearest RE dealer and try out the new 650s, and then tell us of your observations.

Forza: Always a good choice. Maybe first go to your Honda dealer, show great interest, and then leave for the RE dealer. You may get a call back from Honda with a little better deal on Forza or cheap SWing.

Probably your best sensible choice would be to blow out the CB300, but we can predict that, try as you might, you may be stuck with that 300 because it will refuse to die, and you will be still dreaming of the above other two choices.

Whichever of the above you choose, have fun.
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

PostSubject: Re: start serious search for new bike/scooter   start serious search for new bike/scooter I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 08, 2018 9:27 pm

I do not need a RE twin----can try old style 500 or 350 single....new one I had in 1957 was piece of crap, though. Old style single can be hooked to Cozy sidecar when I get too old and shakey for solo operation. No trikes for me!

Forza's are now all left overs and Honda has not discounted them to dealers yet.

Do not want 3rd new SilverWing-----just old bike to me now---but they do run well---but buying one now means age may have gotten to some rubber parts. I buy my bike/scooters to ride, not to work on, and as I have said before breakdowns underway can get expensive....and I want to avoid that.
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

PostSubject: Re: start serious search for new bike/scooter   start serious search for new bike/scooter I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 09, 2018 6:20 pm

Getting closer to making choice for next bike/scooter----Can get 2019 Kymco Xtown 300i abs scooter for about $4000----2019 color, grey or blue, neither very good to be seen, only thing missing for me is parking brake....hate stuff rolling off stand.

Insurance from Allstate same as I pay for my CB300F--$140 a year with liability,, towing, comprehensive----I tend to buy bikes that nobody would want to steal in US.

Contacted dealer today, where I am known...may make deal next week.....and checked that they actually can get one from importer.
Back to top Go down
Mech 1 twa
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Mech 1 twa

Number of posts : 1377
Registration date : 2016-01-02

PostSubject: Re: start serious search for new bike/scooter   start serious search for new bike/scooter I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 09, 2018 8:33 pm

There is a new three wheeler coming soon. Can-AM Ryker. Smaller Spyder design trike.
Two engine choices 600-900 twins by Rotax. I think 900 is an automatic but not certain. Lighter and smaller looks like solo only sport type machine.

Back to top Go down
shyted
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 22
Registration date : 2016-07-03

PostSubject: Re: start serious search for new bike/scooter   start serious search for new bike/scooter I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 10, 2018 3:13 am

john grinsel wrote:
BV 350----Italian....where are the dealers in US?   I ride a lot. depend on dealers for warranty or emergency work.   Having lived/worked in Italy===owned Vespas and Fiats----that stuff is just not as reliable as Japanese.

I have owned a Aprilia SR MAX 300 since new. Yes it is Italian from the Piaggio group of companies and I have found it very reliable. It has the same engine as a Vespa 300 but has almost sports bike handling.
I have had no issues with it mechanically or electrically. I have found changing the headlight globe a lot easier than the Silverwing
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4169
Registration date : 2010-11-16

PostSubject: Re: start serious search for new bike/scooter   start serious search for new bike/scooter I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 10, 2018 3:59 am

I'd have though with 400,000 rubber band scooter miles under his belt, Mr Grinsel would have some idea about what he's buying next without yet another of these almost annual topics.

It's pretty simple for an old bloke, you need something simple, comfortable and lightweight. A scooter that's easy to get on and off it's main stand, move about, and offers good weather protection and storage.

Available in the US is the Yamaha XMax 300, it's an ideal choice if the seat height isn't a concern. It has all of the above plus points as well as a modern fuel efficient engine, traction control, smart key, comprehensive instruments and full LED lights.

The headlights have taken a bit of criticism from some Brit owners, I suppose that's more of a problem if you're doing lots of night riding out in the sticks, rather than town and city riding. The XMax also has a load of Yamaha accessories to kit it out

Smart keys aren't a problem, they're easy to use and in your pocket 99% of the time. Press green for on and press a few more seconds for red and off. If the hype about RFID theft is a concern, keep the key in a protective key pouch that acts as a Faraday Cage.

All this new tech is being added to new maxi scooters whether one likes it or not, and the "something else to go wrong" nonsense no longer cuts it.

Over the years I've heard similar criticism when new stuff came in like disc brakes, halogen lights, ABS, electronic fuel injection, digital and liquid crystal displays, etc. Nowadays no one gives any of these things a second thought.

Get with the program(me), or it's the same old grumble about the limited choice of leftover models in dealerships.
Back to top Go down
joebillybobinark
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 82
Registration date : 2017-04-19

PostSubject: Re: start serious search for new bike/scooter   start serious search for new bike/scooter I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 10, 2018 5:43 am

john grinsel wrote:
Getting closer to making choice for next bike/scooter----Can get 2019 Kymco Xtown 300i abs scooter for about $4000----2019 color, grey or blue, neither very good to be seen, only thing missing for me is parking brake....hate stuff rolling off stand.

Insurance from Allstate same as I pay for my CB300F--$140 a year with liability,, towing, comprehensive----I tend to buy bikes that nobody would want to steal in US.

Contacted dealer  today, where I am known...may make deal next week.....and checked that they actually can get one from importer.

I owned both a kymco 149 super 8 and a grandvista 250. Never Again.

from a lack of replacement parts to the loss of the digital dash, I warn everyone to avoid kymco.

My 2 pennies...

Ed
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

PostSubject: Re: start serious search for new bike/scooter   start serious search for new bike/scooter I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 10, 2018 6:28 am

In my case, I don't worry---and one I want has analog dash. I plan ahead on spare parts--like oil filter, spare drive belt, muffler gasket.

I ride a lot year round---2 yr warranty attractive.

In US market Honda has no current model year scooter that will fit my needs---in past I have bought leftovers, but prefer large discount....Honda isn't doing that.

Another thing in US, dealers usually know nothing or have no or little interest in scooters---Unlike Korea/Japan/Italy/Germany...I have lived/worked/ridden in all of these places--So you are on your own...but I ride prepared with tools/tire repair kit/pump. 2014 I rode to 49 states with scooter or TU250 Suzuki----this year maybe 35-40 (did not count) but ME to CA and James Bay Road in Quebec.....Honda CB300F----it works fine, but I am tired of open chain, no centerstand, big hop over to get on with Hepco & Becker C-Bow saddle bags.

Next year want to ride more local and camp---I am tired of India owned/managed motels on the lower end.

Pls remember as far as I know---some models of BMW/Suzuki/Yamaha/Kawasaki and Dealim 250 scooter all have kymco hearts.
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4169
Registration date : 2010-11-16

PostSubject: Re: start serious search for new bike/scooter   start serious search for new bike/scooter I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 10, 2018 6:40 am

I've already booked some accomodation in Germany's Black Forest region for next year.
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

PostSubject: Re: start serious search for new bike/scooter   start serious search for new bike/scooter I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 10, 2018 8:06 am

Inn keepers in Germany/Europe are pro's. In US on lower/middle end they for the most part are not.

High End here really not convenient with bike....no parking in front of room, have haul your stuff yourself.

My recent experience----motels in Canada usually are better quality/set up than in US. Many still have outside access to your room---plain English you can park directly in front of your door. Nice with bike.
Back to top Go down
Scootypuff Snr
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Scootypuff Snr

Number of posts : 232
Registration date : 2017-04-21

PostSubject: Re: start serious search for new bike/scooter   start serious search for new bike/scooter I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 10, 2018 11:50 am

Meldrew wrote:
I've already booked some accomodation in Germany's Black Forest region for next year.

Nice,how long a tour Question
Back to top Go down
sc00ter
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 231
Registration date : 2018-07-16

PostSubject: Re: start serious search for new bike/scooter   start serious search for new bike/scooter I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 11, 2018 12:16 am

Most KYMCO dealers will let you take a scooter out for a long test ride. Do it if you get the chance. If I were to replace my Burgman 200 right now I would pay the extra and get a Yamaha Xmax over a KYMCO. Nothing personal with KYMCO, my People 250 was a good scooter. I just remember the lawn mower shop days, and now no dealer seems to keep the franchise for more than 3 years around here. Very strange behavior to me.
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

PostSubject: Re: start serious search for new bike/scooter   start serious search for new bike/scooter I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 11, 2018 7:53 am

If dealer isn't making any money---on certain make, they drop it. Scooter market in US is dead---because people are not riding----Look at most bike dealerships---workers drive their cars/pickups to work----my plan for the coming year if Kymco breaks, no dealer, rent small van take back to selling dealer....they are very good-----when the drive train blew up on my second Burgman 400 at 20,000, Dalton, GA---they took it in,got Suzuki to agree to pay, stuff ordered, overnite delivery, on my way next day, Suzuki even paid for new drive belt. Repair work was very high quality.

My Kymco is coming from Dalton GA.

$4000 is good price----Just think if I bought another new Burgman 400 @ $8000, I would take a $4000 hit right away on used value.I am able to buy any bike I want---but really enjoy the cheaper stuff---living in Japan in the 60's and 70's with the dollar @ 360 yen to one dollar---bikes were nice price----Honda 90 about $200 on the road, CB350 on the road with insurance for just under $400.
This spoiled me.

Most expensive bike I ever bought was new Harley factory sidecar outfit----no or little loss for me as there always was another idiot waiting/wanting to buy used Harley. Enjoyed bike, engine blew up at 125 miles and again at 18,000----Harley had no warranty them, but dealer hold back---first blow up they paid, second one I got new engine free, crank pin broke, as did 4 police bikes in Tacoma with serial numbers next to mine. Harley took care of all. At that time, 1966, great Harley dealers in Tacoma WA and Portland OR-----police work very good for them.

Back to top Go down
bikehiker
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
bikehiker

Number of posts : 433
Registration date : 2017-09-07

PostSubject: Re: start serious search for new bike/scooter   start serious search for new bike/scooter I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 11, 2018 8:05 pm

That new Kymco X300i is a lot of bike for the money when compared to other brands. 2 yr warranty is rare. Even has more storage than the Kymco 400.
Back to top Go down
Mt440
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Kymco Movie 150   start serious search for new bike/scooter I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 14, 2018 8:41 am

I have a Kymco Movie 150 that I use to do short trips around the area instead of my Swing. It has been very dependable for years. No issues what so ever.
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

PostSubject: Re: start serious search for new bike/scooter   start serious search for new bike/scooter I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 14, 2018 9:57 am

I made order for new Kymco Xtown 300i this week--price is up $2-300 from last year. They had no leftover 2018 available in white, so I am getting 2019 in blue.

Did not order Honda this time as they had nothing new in the size that works for me.
While I like Suzuki Burgman 400---@ $8000 plus selling price and would have taken at least $4000 loss as I rolled out the door on used price.

I am hoping Kymco works out for me----stuff I already have will work, like throttle stop, fork gators,, think Bestem Box can be bolted directly to rear spoiler with some spacers, and ageless front mud flap.----As with all maxi-scooters I am sure windshield allows/provides tiring buffeting----first ride then fix---sad that makers do not provide buffet free riding---guess they don't ride themselves----my experience only Vespa can be made buffet free from the get-go----right size shield,, and by design, rider's face/nose close to tip of windshield----But Vespa big $$ and no dealers in US.....and 8,000 mile belt changes. First try on windshield fix---Puig clip on spoiler.

Insurance thru Allstate is going to be about $140 a year full coverage...cheaper than Geico.

Going to pay for scooter with credit card-- makes paperwork simple...selling dealer will sell my CB300F for me at little or no cost. Do not want 2 bikes in my garage anymore.

Always new bike is fun....had more than 75 since 1955.

Back to top Go down
Mt440
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: New scoot   start serious search for new bike/scooter I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 14, 2018 10:06 am

I hope you will be happy with the new Kymco. I to have been looking for a lighter replacement for the Swing.
Back to top Go down
Scootypuff Snr
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Scootypuff Snr

Number of posts : 232
Registration date : 2017-04-21

PostSubject: Re: start serious search for new bike/scooter   start serious search for new bike/scooter I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 14, 2018 4:22 pm

John
looking forward to your views of the Kymco I see plenty of all the range in France but like rocking horse **** in UK unless it's a kymco derived power plant rebadged Kwak or BM
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: start serious search for new bike/scooter   start serious search for new bike/scooter I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

start serious search for new bike/scooter
Page 1 of 1