Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

Hi, I am opening this site back up for new members. I closed it due to a few members complaining. Please just accept the site for what it is. The site is 'what it is'. We hope you enjoy the site. Please also join www.maxi-scoots.com

HomeCalendarGalleryFAQSearchRegisterLog in
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Christmas Dinner
by "Hi Yo" Today at 11:33 am

» I have a funny feeling about this.
by "Hi Yo" Today at 11:30 am

» Commuting in little rock on darkside....
by joebillybobinark Today at 10:54 am

» Selling my Silver Wing
by joebillybobinark Today at 10:30 am

» Replacement Tyres
by GHM-PM Today at 7:22 am

» start serious search for new bike/scooter
by Scootypuff Snr Yesterday at 4:22 pm

» New member from the uk
by oldwingguy Yesterday at 7:33 am

» Random Exchange
by Old Limey Yesterday at 4:32 am

» Sad day in Scootville
by Scootypuff Snr Yesterday at 4:17 am

» Heart bypass: Best wishes for a quick recovery
by oldwingguy Tue Nov 13, 2018 1:17 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Share | 

My SilverWing riding days could be coming to a close

Go down 
AuthorMessage
shyted
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 21
Registration date : 2016-07-03

PostSubject: My SilverWing riding days could be coming to a close   Mon Nov 05, 2018 3:41 am

Today I decided to ride the Swing to work just to be a bit different and it was nice to be on it for a change. But to get the topic I rode there parked across  the street so I could lovingly admire it while at work when this Afternoon a Mutha F@#$ker backed into it knocking it over. The front panel is broken , under the sill is also broken and the body panel over the air filter has some nice scrapes in it. Considering the age of HER and the parts availability of panels here in Australia I have a bad  feeling it could be  a insurance write off. SHE has done 86000kms(just over 50000 miles to u people in America) but is still going strong. I am hoping the insurance company WON'T write her off as I do love riding her. Crying or Very sad
Back to top Go down
EvilTwin
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 81
Registration date : 2017-05-30

PostSubject: Re: My SilverWing riding days could be coming to a close   Mon Nov 05, 2018 7:52 am

That SUCKS. Not sure about Oz, but here in the states, it's not that hard to find Silverwings with much lower mileage for relatively cheap money. What is the bike worth vs. the insurance payout? What are similar bikes selling for there? That might help with the decision.
Back to top Go down
cotetoi
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Number of posts : 622
Registration date : 2013-06-27

PostSubject: Re: My SilverWing riding days could be coming to a close   Mon Nov 05, 2018 8:04 am

Let's hope you get a fair deal, regardless. I'm sure there is another SWing in Australia looking for a good owner !

Jay.
Back to top Go down
Dale N.
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 1048
Registration date : 2014-02-13

PostSubject: Re: My SilverWing riding days could be coming to a close   Mon Nov 05, 2018 8:28 am

THAT SUCKS!! I sure hope you get a decent deal from the insurance company and can find another SWing for a reasonable price. Good Luck!
Back to top Go down
oldwingguy
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 1036
Registration date : 2016-01-29

PostSubject: Re: My SilverWing riding days could be coming to a close   Mon Nov 05, 2018 12:41 pm

Sorry to hear that glad you were not on it. Partzilla were prompt and reasonable in supplying my body panel parts.
Back to top Go down
bikehiker
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 259
Registration date : 2017-09-07

PostSubject: Re: My SilverWing riding days could be coming to a close   Mon Nov 05, 2018 9:25 pm

Just hoping that with help of insurance, Partzilla, and your patience, you will get Humpty Dumpty back together again. If so, every fun-filled day on the revised SWing would be a better investment than the stock market. Maybe a new opportunity to tattoo it with stickers or a Repsol theme, or just a rattle can paint job in your favorite hue. If the guts are still there, it's worth any renovation adventure.
Back to top Go down
sc00ter
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 32
Registration date : 2018-07-16

PostSubject: Re: My SilverWing riding days could be coming to a close   Tue Nov 06, 2018 1:06 am

Thats the worse feeling ever! I take it you know who did it and you let the insurance companies fight it out. I wish I knew how to post pictures. My friend purchased back a write off Silverwing that T-boned a car and put it back on the road! He basically made it a street fighter! Looks HORRIBLE but runs great.
Back to top Go down
Scootypuff Snr
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 169
Registration date : 2017-04-21

PostSubject: Re: My SilverWing riding days could be coming to a close   Tue Nov 06, 2018 3:41 am

sc00ter wrote:
Thats the worse feeling ever! I take it you know who did it and you let the insurance companies fight it out. I wish I knew how to post pictures. My friend purchased back a write off Silverwing that T-boned a car and put it back on the road! He basically made it a street fighter! Looks HORRIBLE but runs great.

Gutted to hear your news, bad enough when it's our own fault but others stupidity really sticks in the throat.

However sc00ter beat me to it, you know the bike, you like the bike so buy it back from the insurance (providing frame still straight) & have a unique custom 'frankenstein' Swing
Back to top Go down
Easyrider
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Number of posts : 639
Registration date : 2015-12-18

PostSubject: Re: My SilverWing riding days could be coming to a close   Tue Nov 06, 2018 1:57 pm

In 2013 I rear ended a car. My wife made it known that I was not going to purchase another Swing. With two broken thumbs and five broken ribs, I rebuilt the bike. Ordered a new front faring, head lights, dash panel and front fender. Repaired and painted both side covers. Replaced stem ball bearings with rollers including the races. Didn't think that it was a hard collision, but the stem shaft was visibly bent, so I replaced it also. Had to replace one side of my front forks. I did not have collision insurance. My cost to rebuild my 2002 Swing was around $2k. Took me around eight months.
After riding it for a year I sold it and got a new 2013 Swing, but that is another story.
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin

Number of posts : 2837
Registration date : 2009-06-12

PostSubject: Re: My SilverWing riding days could be coming to a close   Wed Nov 07, 2018 5:33 pm

shyted wrote:
< Snip>Considering the age of HER and the parts availability of panels here in Australia I have a bad  feeling it could be  a insurance write off. SHE has done 86000kms (just over 50000 miles to u people in America) but is still going strong. I am hoping the insurance company WON'T write her off as I do love riding her.

Don't give up hope. Hopefully those panels didn't shatter into a million pieces, so that it still may be possible to put Humpty back together again.

In the past I've used ABS plumbing cement backed up with fiberglass drywall tape to repair panels (from the inside out). More recently I've discovered that Plast-Aid works wonders repairing tupperware panels and repairing/replacing broken tabs.

So quite probably your Mr Humpty is salvageable. And, as others have stated, this would be an excellent opportunity to excercise your innate creativity and rattle can your own Akira or Repsol Silverwing.

Hey, whaddya got to lose?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Plast-aid-6oz-Plastic-Pool-Spa-PVC-Plumbing-Part-Repair-Kit-80400/252969565413?epid=1701269695&hash=item3ae6293ce5:g:yEQAAOSwtGlZMKCM
Back to top Go down

My SilverWing riding days could be coming to a close
Page 1 of 1