Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» drive belts
Saw my old SilverWing yesterday I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Today at 5:43 pm

» New member from Europe
Saw my old SilverWing yesterday I_icon_minitimeby alex_at Today at 3:55 pm

» New Silverwing owner, thoughts and questions
Saw my old SilverWing yesterday I_icon_minitimeby alex_at Today at 3:54 pm

» Will my 2002 Silverwing 600 fit in the bed of my F150 Ford with Tailgat up or down?
Saw my old SilverWing yesterday I_icon_minitimeby tedebr Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:56 pm

» Is this a good price for a Silverwing 2006
Saw my old SilverWing yesterday I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:19 pm

» What were they thinking?
Saw my old SilverWing yesterday I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:57 am

» Hello everyone
Saw my old SilverWing yesterday I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:54 am

» Sidelight Bulbs
Saw my old SilverWing yesterday I_icon_minitimeby Green7 Mon Mar 25, 2024 5:25 pm

» Voyager trike kit forsale
Saw my old SilverWing yesterday I_icon_minitimeby Mkdelay12@gmail.com Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:41 pm

» tiny oil leak
Saw my old SilverWing yesterday I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Sun Mar 24, 2024 1:41 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Saw my old SilverWing yesterday

Go down 
+7
bikehiker
john grinsel
Cosmic_Jumper
GHM-PM
oldwingguy
dekare
Mech 1 twa
11 posters
AuthorMessage
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3291
Registration date : 2009-08-18

Saw my old SilverWing yesterday Empty
PostSubject: Saw my old SilverWing yesterday   Saw my old SilverWing yesterday I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 27, 2018 8:56 am

Stopped in Dalton GA Honda Dealer yesterday---bought new chain masterlink---As O-Ring chain on my new Honda CB300F is shot at 13,000 miles...internal lube gone.
Sprockets are still like new---have ordered cheap roller chain as replacement....they seem to last long time the way I keep them lubed.

My old, last 2013 leftover still sitting on used row since late Oct 2017. Sitting beside it Suzuki 650 Burgman that has been there since last fall,too. Guess big used scooters are not selling right now. Sad.
Back to top Go down
Mech 1 twa
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Mech 1 twa

Number of posts : 1378
Registration date : 2016-01-02

PostSubject: Re: Saw my old SilverWing yesterday   Saw my old SilverWing yesterday I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 27, 2018 6:59 pm

Hard sell with 50k on it. How much are they asking?
Back to top Go down
dekare
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
dekare

Number of posts : 125
Registration date : 2016-08-09

PostSubject: Re: Saw my old SilverWing yesterday   Saw my old SilverWing yesterday I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 27, 2018 7:22 pm

Mech 1 twa wrote:
Hard sell with 50k on it.  How much are they asking?

I would guess it's price accordingly. Heck replace the belt on the Silver and possibly go another 50k. I wonder, do Burg's hold any resale when they get 50k and above, with it's "lifetime" belt?
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

PostSubject: Re: Saw my old SilverWing yesterday   Saw my old SilverWing yesterday I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 27, 2018 8:09 pm

Because people do not ride these things much---newer one with some miles is shock. Didn't ask price, I got my planned use from it and do not look back. I expect, because I ride a lot to take a hit when I trade.

SilverWing will probably go over 100,000 miles, with belt and frequent oil changes.
Back to top Go down
Mech 1 twa
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Mech 1 twa

PostSubject: Re: Saw my old SilverWing yesterday   Saw my old SilverWing yesterday I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 27, 2018 8:31 pm

Many riders don't want high mileage bikes they think it will have problems. New liquid cool engines last a long time. 100k SW taken care of will last that long..
I'd rather buy a few year old vehicle with higher mileage than a 10 year old vehicle with the same mileage.

I've read a few stories about Burg 650 transmissions failing.
Back to top Go down
oldwingguy
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 1936
Registration date : 2016-01-29

PostSubject: Re: Saw my old SilverWing yesterday   Saw my old SilverWing yesterday I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 28, 2018 7:13 am

Guess big used scooters are not selling right now. Sad.<<>> John around here and in general I'm told road use motorcycles sales are down, ATV's and dirt bikes seem to be doing ok.
Back to top Go down
GHM-PM
Site Admin
GHM-PM

Number of posts : 2540
Registration date : 2012-05-17

PostSubject: Re: Saw my old SilverWing yesterday   Saw my old SilverWing yesterday I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 28, 2018 7:32 am

I agree, sadly the maxi-scooter market appears fairly dead in the US and most road bikes are not doing well either. ATV and side by sides seem to be the hot ticket. Most dealers have loads of them and they fly out the door...
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

PostSubject: Re: Saw my old SilverWing yesterday   Saw my old SilverWing yesterday I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 28, 2018 9:35 am

Talked to Yamaha-Suzuki dealer yesterday in Dalton GA----he says lower priced, easy to insure are selling anddirt bikes doing ok-----The $25,000 big road bikes and their day appears to be done in his market.

Observations on my riding: All you see on road trips are Harleys. Few "Adventure" bikes you see are all on Freeway....and of course these riders all appear to have same "costume" on.

Still using bike for trip to James Bay in July.....any takers?
Back to top Go down
GHM-PM
Site Admin
GHM-PM

Number of posts : 2540
Registration date : 2012-05-17

PostSubject: Re: Saw my old SilverWing yesterday   Saw my old SilverWing yesterday I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 28, 2018 10:25 am

john grinsel wrote:
Talked to Yamaha-Suzuki dealer yesterday in Dalton GA----he says lower priced, easy to insure are selling anddirt bikes doing ok-----The $25,000 big road bikes   and their day appears to be done in his market.

Observations on my riding:   All you see on road trips are Harleys. Few "Adventure" bikes you see are all on Freeway....and of course these riders all appear to have same "costume" on.

I agree with the amount of Harleys on the road. But as to costume, adventure bikers do wear similar BUT safe outfits. Out here most Harley riders wear the exact same costume. Black T-shirt, vest either leather or denim, denim pants and a freaking dew rag! (no helmet law in AZ). I have seen morons doing 70 MPH plus on I-17 in downtown Phoenix, with a dew rag and sandals... Heaven forbid.
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

PostSubject: Re: Saw my old SilverWing yesterday   Saw my old SilverWing yesterday I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 28, 2018 11:02 am

john grinsel wrote:
< Snip > Observations on my riding:   All you see on road trips are Harleys. Few "Adventure" bikes you see are all on Freeway....and of course these riders all appear to have same "costume" on.< Snip >

Could it be that the reason you see those freeway Harleys and Adventure Bikes is because that is exactly where you are?

Now if you were to venture off the beaten path; say, the Dempster Hwy, the Trans Labrador Hwy or the Trans Tiaga Road, I'm confident that you'll see far more Adventure Bikes than doo-rag'd Milwaukee-minions.
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

PostSubject: Re: Saw my old SilverWing yesterday   Saw my old SilverWing yesterday I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 28, 2018 6:24 pm

I use interstate to get from big point to big point. Nothing wrong with that, if nothing else safer.

Several years ago, maybe 15 I rode to Alaska the hard way, up thru BC on at that time, about 50% dirt and mud----What I saw for bikes---two HD Fat Boys from MN, going slow but making it----Most amazing in really ruff going, rain, GoldWing rider in low quarter shoes shoes, cheap rainsuit, making good progress... Adventure Bikers were not yet a fad---2 or 3 years ago, SilverWing, last trip to Hyder AK---pavement all the way---nice ride.

To me, every long trip on 2 wheels=adventure, especial riding solo/alone.----Europe they have frequent call boxes, good help----US and Canada, too, little patchey. Recent years I have had only one breakdown where bike wouldn't go forward---Pulaski VA turned off highway, belt broke, Called Honda Riders Club who came to get me---took to friend's house less than 10 miles away---I changed pulverized belt with spare I carried---Helix easy, only cover off---no clutch pulling, just sqeeze.

I go off beaten path---been in Maine, Vermont/New Hampshire rural roads this spring, Flagstaff AZ this winter where trick is to avoid snow.

Any bike/scooter can make trips just about anywhere---ridden right/rider in shape/some preparation/right professional quality riding clothes including stuff for cold.

Most people never ride anywhere---one problem being time when you work/getting married/money.

Like simple bikes/no added junk...makes roadside repairs/adjustments easier/as I get older...Motel 6 or old style motels you can park in front of your door my favorite---but I always carry lite sleeping bag, bivy sack in case I have to sleep along road.

May try Labrador road next year on PCX 150 or new Honda 125 Cub.
Back to top Go down
dekare
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
dekare

Number of posts : 125
Registration date : 2016-08-09

PostSubject: Re: Saw my old SilverWing yesterday   Saw my old SilverWing yesterday I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 29, 2018 7:50 am

john grinsel wrote:
I use interstate to get from big point to big point.  Nothing wrong with that, if nothing else safer.

As for interstates, I dislike them. I'll ride if I have to. Just that traveling at that speed, with increased traffic makes surprises all that tougher to react to. Once saw a semi kick up tire tread that had been laying on the road, unfortunately there was a motorcyclist behind him. The cycle was able to avoid it. Although certainly could have been tragic. The motorcyclist rode up along the cab and gave the driver a one finger salute.
Back to top Go down
Pastor Ron
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider

Number of posts : 400
Registration date : 2013-02-24

PostSubject: Re: Saw my old SilverWing yesterday   Saw my old SilverWing yesterday I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 29, 2018 2:00 pm

A good trike makes Interstate driving more enjoyable.
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

PostSubject: Re: Saw my old SilverWing yesterday   Saw my old SilverWing yesterday I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 29, 2018 4:43 pm

But how are they in curves? Tippy in my book except Can-Am. Remember how your childhood trike tipped over?

SilverWing think trike/extra weight hard on drive belt----belt probably done at 10,000 miles. And some trikes have open chain to drive rear wheels=messy. Wear item.

Having owned 2 Messerschmitts---pushers---they could be raised up on 2 wheels---my experience equals over 100,000 km. liked them, heater nice in winter.
Back to top Go down
bikehiker
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
bikehiker

Number of posts : 433
Registration date : 2017-09-07

PostSubject: Re: Saw my old SilverWing yesterday   Saw my old SilverWing yesterday I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 29, 2018 6:39 pm

dekare wrote:
john grinsel wrote:
I use interstate to get from big point to big point.  Nothing wrong with that, if nothing else safer.

As for interstates, I dislike them. I'll ride if I have to. Just that traveling at that speed, with increased traffic makes surprises all that tougher to react to. Once saw a semi kick up tire tread that had been laying on the road, unfortunately there was a motorcyclist behind him. The cycle was able to avoid it. Although certainly could have been tragic. The motorcyclist rode up along the cab and gave the driver a one finger salute.

Oh, yes, I used to draft 18-wheelers in my car for better gas mileage. But one day I saw a truck recap in the middle of the right lane, and pulled over to remove it from the interstate. I thought I'd throw it on the side of the road, but had to DRAG that heavy SOB over to the side. I have since remembered the weight of those things, realizing the damage it could do to a car, let alone a bike. Now, whether I'm in a car or on a bike, I give the truck ahead lots of room in the case of a recap blow.
Back to top Go down
Pastor Ron
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider

PostSubject: Re: Saw my old SilverWing yesterday   Saw my old SilverWing yesterday I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 30, 2018 11:32 am

john grinsel wrote:
But how are they in curves?  Tippy in my book except Can-Am.  Remember how your childhood trike tipped over?

SilverWing think trike/extra weight hard on drive belt----belt probably done at 10,000 miles.  And some trikes have open chain to drive rear wheels=messy. Wear item.

Having owned 2 Messerschmitts---pushers---they could be raised up on 2 wheels---my experience equals over 100,000 km.   liked them, heater nice in winter.
It is fantastic in curves, I have had it at 60mph without any kind of tipping. The science in these new kits go a lot farther than your old Messers….The weight does not impead much more than an extra rider so belt wear is nominal. As for the chain, if one learns how to properly care for it, and, uses Teflon lube, there is NO splatter what-so-ever. CanAm`s are no where near the quality of our Swings IMO.
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

PostSubject: Re: Saw my old SilverWing yesterday   Saw my old SilverWing yesterday I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 30, 2018 12:02 pm

Messerschmitts were pushers, two wheels in front. My opinion, trikes with one wheel in front are still unsafe----often ridden by rider that never had much skill solo, in GoldWing case, got too fat. What safety standards do they meet in US?
Back to top Go down
Pastor Ron
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider

PostSubject: Re: Saw my old SilverWing yesterday   Saw my old SilverWing yesterday I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 30, 2018 3:04 pm

It is apparent you have your own opinion on this matter, l will just leave it at....I agree to disagree. As far as the US  standards, I will not assume that I know them, or, that they even exist, however, I have been riding since 1968, and  I feel I have learned a little about how a bike or trike should handle at this point. In my opnion, it is safer than two wheels period.
Back to top Go down
bikehiker
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
bikehiker

Number of posts : 433
Registration date : 2017-09-07

PostSubject: Re: Saw my old SilverWing yesterday   Saw my old SilverWing yesterday I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 30, 2018 3:40 pm

Pastor, I think your kit is of highest quality. I think Dale on this forum has the same kit. I love my two-wheel SWing and find it much safer than my other bikes, but would really feel more comfortable and safer with that kit. Though single wheel front trikes are a little different, they are MUCH safer than any two wheeler. If I had ridden a trike bicycle and a trike MC all my life, I would be able to claim NO accidents versus at least 8 two-wheel spills (three near-death experiences) on my two-wheelers. And how many two-wheel riders would still be alive to claim the merits of a trike, but unfortunately bit the dust on their two wheelers. I don't think Harley has had to field many law suits to defend their trikes; otherwise they would have promptly discontinued them. Old farts like me have great interest in trikes because they are safer and easier to handle in both high and low speed situations. (Harley makes you watch a training video even before you can test ride their new trikes.) I'm hoping my legs hold up to be able to hold up my SWing in slow maneuvers. Otherwise, I may be going either in John's direction with a smaller bike or your direction. Trike on. Ride on. Enjoy two or three wheels.

One note regarding the difference in riding a trike that John refers to above: One of my friends with long-time MC experience decided to test ride a new Harley trike. He started to move the trike off the lot onto the highway and decided that he could not do slow maneuvers well enough because the trike presented slow maneuver differences that he was not comfortable with, so he got off the trike and refused to endanger himself and others. To each his own.
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

PostSubject: Re: Saw my old SilverWing yesterday   Saw my old SilverWing yesterday I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 30, 2018 3:47 pm

More questions on your trike----do you have lowered gearing? Fork trail changed? steering dampener? At least on their trikes, Harley uses adjustable trail fork on theirs, proper gearing.

Ever notice US Magazines never have trike tests, showing performance such as braking distances/passing distances/ rough roads, etc.

Trike may be ok slow, on snow. Ever notice how the front wheel tends to slid on snow/ice? Sidecar fronts do same----over come with rider skill and throttle hand.

I rode sidecar outfits for over 40 years, proper skill needed but they are safe properly set up...which is not often in US.

Think trikes are excuse for no skill solo or aging rider.....but are they safe?
Back to top Go down
Pastor Ron
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider

PostSubject: Re: Saw my old SilverWing yesterday   Saw my old SilverWing yesterday I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 30, 2018 4:03 pm

I have said all I am going to on the subject
Back to top Go down
Pastor Ron
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider

PostSubject: Re: Saw my old SilverWing yesterday   Saw my old SilverWing yesterday I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 30, 2018 9:11 pm

bikehiker wrote:
Pastor, I think your kit is of highest quality.  I think Dale on this forum has the same kit.  I love my two-wheel SWing and find it much safer than my other bikes, but would really feel more comfortable and safer with that kit.  Though single wheel front trikes are a little different, they are MUCH safer than any two wheeler.  If I had ridden a trike bicycle and a trike MC all my life, I would be able to claim NO accidents versus at least 8 two-wheel spills (three near-death experiences) on my two-wheelers. And how many two-wheel riders would still be alive to claim the merits of a trike, but unfortunately bit the dust on their two wheelers.  I don't think Harley has had to field many law suits to defend their trikes; otherwise they would have promptly discontinued them.  Old farts like me have great interest in trikes because they are safer and easier to handle in both high and low speed situations.  (Harley makes you watch a training video even before you can test ride their new trikes.)  I'm hoping my legs hold up to be able to hold up my SWing in slow maneuvers. Otherwise, I may be going either in John's direction with a smaller bike or your direction.  Trike on.   Ride on.  Enjoy two or three wheels.  

One note regarding the difference in riding a trike that John refers to above:  One of my friends with long-time MC experience decided to test ride a new Harley trike.  He started to move the trike off the lot onto the highway and decided that he could not do slow maneuvers well enough because the trike presented slow maneuver differences that he was not comfortable with, so he got off the trike and refused to endanger himself and others.  To each his own.
+1
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

PostSubject: Re: Saw my old SilverWing yesterday   Saw my old SilverWing yesterday I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 01, 2018 7:30 am

Please try accident avoiding swerve at 60mph!! and emergency stop.....trike except Can-Am would probably tip over. Since the rider quoted had so many bike accidents, suggest he take rider course.
Back to top Go down
Dale N.
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Dale N.

Number of posts : 1981
Registration date : 2014-02-13

PostSubject: Re: Saw my old SilverWing yesterday   Saw my old SilverWing yesterday I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 01, 2018 8:15 am

I'll add my two cents on this just this once.
When my trike was delivered it was near the end of winter. While it was sitting in the garage I went on Youtube and watched a few trike training videos. There was one version that I was glad I didn't get because when making a right corner turn the outer right wheel would come off the ground and same with a left turn. They said that was normal. I didn't find any SWing trike videos but the ones I did watch were informative.
When I was able to take it out the first time I rode around town for a couple of hours to get used to it a bit. Intersections, at first, were "worrisome" as I felt like I might tip over and I had the tendency to lean my body while going into an intersection.
We have one roundabout in town with another one under construction. 20 mph speed limit according to the signs. At first I'd only do 10-15 mph going around them as I had the "falling off/tip over" feeling. That eventually went away and now I can take it safely around 20-25 mph and feel good.
Emergency stops are good. I've had to do two of them so far and the trike handled it well. I now have 4 disk brakes on the SWing. The two original ones and the two new ones that came with the trike kit. With the wider tires on the back it has more traction and stops very nicely. Although, on my first "panic" stop I did lock up the front wheel a bit.
As far as highway/interstate riding goes I'd rather ride on two lane roads than interstates. Always have, always will. I'm not against riding interstates if I have to, I just prefer two lane roads.
As far as tipping over I haven't had that worry... Yet. There have already been a few times where I've had to sort of swerve to avoid some debris in the road or an animal. I will admit it was a bit of a hairy experience, which most are, but the trike handled it very well.
All in all I'm happy with the trike and really like riding it. I think I'm the only SWing trike around here because I've gotten a lot of looks, comments and questions about it. I won't say I'm an expert at trike riding but getting better at it. The old saying: The day you think you know everything about riding is the day you should park it. I'm still learning but getting better at it.
You all have a great day. And Happy Scooting.
Back to top Go down
ItBeMe
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 169
Registration date : 2017-09-29

PostSubject: Re: Saw my old SilverWing yesterday   Saw my old SilverWing yesterday I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 01, 2018 9:54 am

I am a old fart been riding for 46 years and with my health I can no longer ride a 2 wheeler. So for me it was a trike or set at home. Now that I have been on the trike for over 2 years and ride the hell out of it I love it and feel much safer on it. Now I guess Ralph Nator would not like them but he didn't like anything. But this is just me and if you don't like trikes than keep your butt of them and be on your marry way on your 2 wheels and have a safe ride.
There I spoke my mind. chickendance
Back to top Go down
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2658
Registration date : 2009-07-17

PostSubject: Re: Saw my old SilverWing yesterday   Saw my old SilverWing yesterday I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 01, 2018 1:45 pm

The lady who bought my last Silverwing had it triked (actually quadded) and has been very happy with it. As per the dekare's question I would trust a high mileage SW much more than a similar B650. Mainly because of the risk of a transmission failure on the Burgman. Burgman 650s have an electrically operated CVT ratio controlled by a little electric motor with nylon gears. Worse yet it's necessary to nearly disassemble the entire bike to repair the transmission if it goes out. Not all B650s experience that problem but there has been considerable postings on the Burgman forum about these kind of failures. The SW on the other hand is about the most reliable and easy to work on of all the maxis.
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

PostSubject: Re: Saw my old SilverWing yesterday   Saw my old SilverWing yesterday I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 01, 2018 1:49 pm

And SilverWing, cheaper to fix, driveline problems.
Back to top Go down
Mech 1 twa
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Mech 1 twa

PostSubject: Re: Saw my old SilverWing yesterday   Saw my old SilverWing yesterday I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 01, 2018 5:16 pm

I saw your old SW on line. Kirk's Cycle . $3499 45K Looks good. Still for sale.

They also have a Burgman 650.
Back to top Go down
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2658
Registration date : 2009-07-17

PostSubject: Re: Saw my old SilverWing yesterday   Saw my old SilverWing yesterday I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 01, 2018 7:16 pm

I've owned two (and might be buying another this fall) and I maintain three SWs for friends. Of the five a couple of which have pretty high mileage, none had any problems, no drive system problems at all. I'm not saying it doesn't happen but will say the whole mechanical system in the SW is pretty robust and holds up well.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Saw my old SilverWing yesterday   Saw my old SilverWing yesterday I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Saw my old SilverWing yesterday
Page 1 of 1