Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

Hi, I am opening this site back up for new members. I closed it due to a few members complaining. Please just accept the site for what it is. The site is 'what it is'. We hope you enjoy the site. Please also join www.maxi-scoots.com !!!

HomeCalendarGalleryFAQSearchRegisterLog in
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Installing new trunk light
by Delray Today at 5:57 pm

» Riding---next trip
by bikehiker Today at 2:55 pm

» 2004 Silverwing
by bikehiker Today at 2:52 pm

» MohawkWarrior Introduction
by bikehiker Today at 2:50 pm

» Drive belts
by MikeO Yesterday at 3:28 pm

» Tire Balance
by DickO Yesterday at 2:00 pm

» mounting attachment points
by MikeO Yesterday at 3:55 am

» Brief introduction and question
by Scootypuff Snr Tue Aug 14, 2018 4:36 pm

» Aftermarket trunks for SWINGS
by Chris Olson Tue Aug 14, 2018 12:06 pm

» Air Hawk cushions for Sale
by SILVERWINGDAYS Tue Aug 14, 2018 3:58 am

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Share | 

Just returned from about 13 state trip

Go down 
AuthorMessage
john grinsel
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2508
Registration date : 2009-08-18

PostSubject: Just returned from about 13 state trip   Thu May 10, 2018 8:04 am

Got back from 9 or 10 day ride to Maine---about 13 states, a day and a half of horrible rain, horrible heat (92 degrees F in NYC) Aerostich Darien outfit a little hot.

Road conditions terrible in NY and PA, to the point of maybe being really dangerous for 2 wheeler. Total miles about 2700, saw lots of Harley's ( learned new Harley trick--they do not put their rain suits on until they are wet....I think fear of covering up their Halloween costumes!!) GoldWing thing seem to be dead, as your see very few on road....some on trailers....saw lots of trailer bikers, including trikes. No big scooters on road.

Bike used, 2017 Honda CB300F with Hepco & Becker C-Bow bags and luggage rack, dog in $40 Bestem box----70-75 mpg, road performance about same as SilverWing.
With big scooter I could have dropped it in large potholes in entrances, parking areas, etc.

Oil WalMart 10-40---used none. With expensive Honda oil on trip to CA=used oil. Got warning ticket in PA from idiot state trooper----I got sleepy, pulled off, sat down in the grass-----some do gooder must have called police---he came screaming up---he opened my tank bag without my permission, telling me there was weed in there, I explained I am 79 and smoke pipe. Ticket printed out on computer--no fine, no specific as to what I had done----I threw it away. PA will not get any of my money in the future---terrible roads and I guess you cannot do the safe thing and leave the road.

Trip like this---based on new scooters I have owned--TMAX, Burgman 400's, SilverWings, ReFlex and 4 HELIX----I like Helix, but these rough roads would have broken intake stub, cracked air box and shaken guts out of muffler...all things I experienced in 175,000 miles of use-----SilverWing too heavy and top heavy...I am sure I could have dropped it in some of the slow speed stuff.Burgman 400 would have worked best for me---good gas mileage, 4 way flashers, mpg reading, outside temp gauge----with Givi Adjustable windshield, air control almost as good as SilverWing with same setup. Bike is lighter, too.

Scooters I like because of the dry feet thing.
Back to top Go down
Dale N.
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 1010
Registration date : 2014-02-13

PostSubject: Re: Just returned from about 13 state trip   Thu May 10, 2018 8:12 am

Sounded like an "interesting" trip John. Glad you made it back safe and sound. Sounds like the PA trooper had a hair up his A$$ or something. Maybe just didn't like cycles. His wife probably ran off with one.

Thanks for the info. Very interesting.
Back to top Go down
ItBeMe
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 158
Registration date : 2017-09-29

PostSubject: Re: Just returned from about 13 state trip   Thu May 10, 2018 9:03 am

That was one hell of a ride John. chickendance
Back to top Go down
oldwingguy
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Number of posts : 949
Registration date : 2016-01-29

PostSubject: Re: Just returned from about 13 state trip   Thu May 10, 2018 9:16 am

You made it safely and had an adventure, that's a good thing. The " weed " thing doesn't surprise me as most " enforcers " are looking for any drug activity, real or imagined and the looking without asking is supposed to be illegal Sad
Back to top Go down
GHM-PM
Site Admin

Number of posts : 1370
Registration date : 2012-05-17

PostSubject: Re: Just returned from about 13 state trip   Thu May 10, 2018 8:28 pm

Excellent, John. Glad you had a good ride. I have noticed that roads are getting much worse in lots of places. California must have MUCH more important things to spend money on (like Illegals), as most roads there are a horror on 2 wheels.

Nice that you made it safely and inspired the rest of us to get out and RIDE!!!
Back to top Go down
Mech 1 twa
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 338
Registration date : 2016-01-02

PostSubject: Re: Just returned from about 13 state trip   Thu May 10, 2018 9:31 pm

Good old days are gone our freedoms are being taken away from us. My good old days are not as old as yours. PA cops can search whatever they want don't need any permission........ Rip your whole car apart and find nothing. Who pays to reassemble it YOU do.

WT?. Most cops don't even look at a scooter if you have a helmet and gear on.
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin

Number of posts : 2757
Registration date : 2009-06-12

PostSubject: Re: Just returned from about 13 state trip   Thu May 10, 2018 9:42 pm

john grinsel wrote:
< SNIP > Got warning ticket in PA from idiot state trooper----I got sleepy, pulled off, sat down in the grass-----some do gooder must have called police---he came screaming up---he opened my tank bag without my permission, telling me there was weed in there, I explained I am 79 and smoke pipe.  Ticket printed out on computer--no fine, no specific as to what I had done----I threw it away. < SNIP >  

Well if you would have actually been riding a scooter instead of that hooligan bike...
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: Just returned from about 13 state trip   Fri May 11, 2018 7:27 am

I may have liked to be on scooter----but what is there to buy in US market? I buy only new and soon turn them into used, and like warranty, Honda has nothing, Yamaha XMAX?,Vespa way over priced and no dealers, Burgman 400 looks most appealing to me right now (be my third), Kymco?, BMW way over priced (and Kymco heart)---I need center stand, good wind management, like to try OEM heated grips, enclosed drive line, reasonable weight, safe color.
And of course price---my CB300F worked out to $4000 out the door and then German accessories and Puig windshield out of my pocket---after some research $100 a year to insure---Geico rated it as Sports bike ($600 a year) My CB now has 12,000 miles---gets wash/check everthing/fresh oil today by me.
Back to top Go down
GHM-PM
Site Admin

Number of posts : 1370
Registration date : 2012-05-17

PostSubject: Re: Just returned from about 13 state trip   Fri May 11, 2018 11:04 am

I agree, John. Right now the only two scooters (available new) that float my boat are the new Yamaha Xmax (a little short on power for my butt methinks) but a great looking scoot or the Burgman 400 which is the closest to a Silver Wing in my book. And both will not break the bank like the Burgie 650 or the BMW...
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: Just returned from about 13 state trip   Fri May 11, 2018 5:06 pm

I might add---2018 Burgman 400 still has non-linked brakes. Complete control of rear brake, using rear brake as balancing aide very handy. My first experience with liked brakes---new Reflex, tested it on snow/ice/wet....rear always came on first....but?? My take...linked brakes effort to make bikes more idiot proof.
Back to top Go down
dencart2
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 13
Registration date : 2016-05-19

PostSubject: Re: Just returned from about 13 state trip   Fri Jun 15, 2018 1:52 pm

Congrats on a great trip.

I kinda like the idea you don't see any other scooter riders. Makes you feel unique. But it would sure help answer the main question one gets when around a bunch of Harley riders.....Arn't you worried about the small diameter wheels?

Keep on scooting. Sad
Back to top Go down
http://denniscarter.net/Trips
Murf
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 48
Registration date : 2017-04-19

PostSubject: Re: Just returned from about 13 state trip   Fri Jun 15, 2018 3:57 pm

Dencart2; I just tell my Harley friends my small diameter wheels are so you don't feel so inferior. lol
Back to top Go down

Just returned from about 13 state trip
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum :: General :: For Sale Section-
Jump to: