Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» drive belts
Looking for a different seat I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Today at 5:43 pm

» New member from Europe
Looking for a different seat I_icon_minitimeby alex_at Today at 3:55 pm

» New Silverwing owner, thoughts and questions
Looking for a different seat I_icon_minitimeby alex_at Today at 3:54 pm

» Will my 2002 Silverwing 600 fit in the bed of my F150 Ford with Tailgat up or down?
Looking for a different seat I_icon_minitimeby tedebr Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:56 pm

» Is this a good price for a Silverwing 2006
Looking for a different seat I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:19 pm

» What were they thinking?
Looking for a different seat I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:57 am

» Hello everyone
Looking for a different seat I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:54 am

» Sidelight Bulbs
Looking for a different seat I_icon_minitimeby Green7 Mon Mar 25, 2024 5:25 pm

» Voyager trike kit forsale
Looking for a different seat I_icon_minitimeby Mkdelay12@gmail.com Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:41 pm

» tiny oil leak
Looking for a different seat I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Sun Mar 24, 2024 1:41 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Looking for a different seat

Go down 
+6
john grinsel
Old Limey
Mech 1 twa
oldwingguy
Gustafa
Jimmyk
10 posters
AuthorMessage
Jimmyk
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 31
Registration date : 2018-01-23

Looking for a different seat Empty
PostSubject: Looking for a different seat   Looking for a different seat I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 26, 2018 9:25 am

Yesterday I went on a 400 mile ride.
The stock seat is comfortable for the first few hours, but after that,I find myself moving around a lot because of pain.
My last bike was a Kawasaki Concours. It came with a Russell Day long, which is the most comfortable seat I’ve ever sat in. I’m not ready to buy a new one, so if anyone is interested in parting with one, maybe we can agree on a price! Thanks
Back to top Go down
Gustafa
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Gustafa

Number of posts : 218
Registration date : 2015-10-10

PostSubject: Re: Looking for a different seat   Looking for a different seat I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 26, 2018 11:03 am

I have a heated Russell Day Long on my Silverwing, I wish I could let it go, but for the very you want one, I want to keep mine LOL

They never pop up on the downed sled on ebay, so I wish you good luck, I believe Russell still makes them.
Back to top Go down
oldwingguy
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 1936
Registration date : 2016-01-29

PostSubject: Re: Looking for a different seat   Looking for a different seat I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 26, 2018 1:06 pm

Jimmyk have tried a Airhawk pad for your seat? I tried my sheep wool cover but the Airhawk is the best deal over a new custom seat I've found.
Back to top Go down
Mech 1 twa
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Mech 1 twa

Number of posts : 1378
Registration date : 2016-01-02

PostSubject: Re: Looking for a different seat   Looking for a different seat I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 26, 2018 8:38 pm

How tall are you? Need more leg room? I did. Bought a bracket on Ebay converted seat bumper into a backrest. There is more than one out there. Not the wood one JUNK.

I use a bead rider deluxe. No sweaty shorts. Pants -gear has a lot to do with it also.
400 miles is a lot for SW in one day. A good ride for me is about 6.5 hours and i need a beer. 280-320 miles.
Back to top Go down
Old Limey
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
Old Limey

Number of posts : 921
Registration date : 2010-06-09

PostSubject: Re: Looking for a different seat   Looking for a different seat I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 28, 2018 11:47 am

If you look in archives you will find how to convert the "butt" rest into a backrest. I did it years ago and it has proved to be excellent.
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3291
Registration date : 2009-08-18

PostSubject: Re: Looking for a different seat   Looking for a different seat I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 28, 2018 12:14 pm

Having had, ridden a lot, both old type Concours (bought new) sold at 56,000 miles and 90,000 miles on 2 new SilverWing----there is nothing wrong with the seats----simply stop every hour or 50 miles, get off walk around----summer, no underwear.

AND of course, be in shape/ride a lot and there are no seat problems.

SilverWing rider backrest can be adjusted

Pain? Mid day try a couple of aspirin.

I have tried various back rests available---my take=save your money.
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4170
Registration date : 2010-11-16

PostSubject: Re: Looking for a different seat   Looking for a different seat I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 28, 2018 1:00 pm

Isn't it about what works for you, I certainly don't want to be looking for somewhere to stop for a break every hour, then having to overtake all the same trucks again I remember I overtaking earlier. Riding without a breathable seam free base layer between my butt and riding pants doesn't appeal either.

I don't know how you expect to be in shape if you don't do at least some exercise, cycle etc, or have to stop for smoke breaks on a ride, and if your attitude is 'walking sucks'.

I often wear a kidney belt to support the lower back and relieve strain on the muscles on long day rides.

Or by simply strapping a filled Ortlieb type luggage bag or seat bag behind me on the passenger seat, it acts as an effective back rest on a long ride, it works for me.

Things have also improved for me since I stopped using a tunnel bag, I'm not tempted to fill it with extra junk, clamber over it getting on and off, and moving it out of the way to fill up.

Last edited by Meldrew on Sun Apr 29, 2018 11:23 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
DickO
Founding Member
DickO

Number of posts : 1018
Registration date : 2008-12-23

PostSubject: Re: Looking for a different seat   Looking for a different seat I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 28, 2018 10:13 pm

Hey Limey,
I too converted my butt rest into a back rest. Followed the instructions as given in the archive but had to do some mechanical engineering to get the angle "just" right and added some spacers to the attaching bolts to make for proper distance when I set where I wanted to be. On one long run though some time after I had it in place, it did seem to "wear" on me because of the new position. Also, when I tried the pillion position myself, I found that it really screwed that up to the point of not allowing a rider, ie, the wife. Consequently, I reset the rest back to just forward of full back. Well, at least I tried, and redoing it isn't completely out of the question.
Back to top Go down
Old Limey
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
Old Limey

Number of posts : 921
Registration date : 2010-06-09

PostSubject: Re: Looking for a different seat   Looking for a different seat I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 29, 2018 12:44 pm

I ride alone so, not a problem or me.
Back to top Go down
Modernman1953
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 379
Registration date : 2016-06-01

PostSubject: Re: Looking for a different seat   Looking for a different seat I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 29, 2018 6:57 pm

Corbin.
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4170
Registration date : 2010-11-16

PostSubject: Re: Looking for a different seat   Looking for a different seat I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 30, 2018 3:14 am

Is it worth it buying an expensive Corbin or Russell seat for a maxi scooter that's been around since 2000? If the seat really is so uncomfortable you can't sit on it for a few hours, you bought the wrong scooter.

It would be easier to take your Silver Wing to a place in your area that repairs and re covers motorcycle seats and get them to reshape or add gel pads to your OE seat and keep it looking as original as possible.

Most custom seats I've seen look a mess, simply because the owner had gone overboard on the options list, and often the finished result looks like something salvaged from a 1950’s diner.

Last edited by Meldrew on Mon Apr 30, 2018 2:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
GHM-PM
Site Admin
GHM-PM

Number of posts : 2540
Registration date : 2012-05-17

PostSubject: Re: Looking for a different seat   Looking for a different seat I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 30, 2018 10:22 am

I use the buttrest to backrest conversion and it works. I am 6'0" and have a 32 inch inseam so legroom is not a big issue. My longest day on the Silver Wing was 425 miles (have done 2 days over 400). HOWEVER my most uncomfortable day was a 325 mile day but one where I spent 11 hours in the saddle, going through National Parks etc. That one tore me up; just flat too much time in the saddle. I recently purchased an Airhawk Medium and it helps but getting the air adjusted properly is a pain in the ... Well you get the idea. LOL
Back to top Go down
Modernman1953
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 379
Registration date : 2016-06-01

PostSubject: Re: Looking for a different seat   Looking for a different seat I_icon_minitimeTue May 01, 2018 1:14 pm

I bought my Corbin for $250 used off of Craigslist. There is someone looking to sell one on the Facebook page for $300 that has burgundy piping on the seat.

I sold my used factory seat for $75 so it was a net costs of $175 for a very comfortable seat. A permanent comfort solution.

Note, the Corbin, has a built in application for a seat rest.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Looking for a different seat   Looking for a different seat I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Looking for a different seat
Page 1 of 1