Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

Hi, I am opening this site back up for new members. I closed it due to a few members complaining. Please just accept the site for what it is. The site is 'what it is'. We hope you enjoy the site. Please also join www.maxi-scoots.com !!!

HomeCalendarGalleryFAQSearchRegisterLog in
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Jakes Toys
by GHM-PM Today at 7:57 am

» Something funky going on with the front wheel
by Meldrew Today at 3:37 am

» Returning member
by GTscootz Yesterday at 8:07 pm

» Please submit a picture of your Silver Wing
by ozzman Yesterday at 6:13 pm

» Proof read before sending texts
by oldwingguy Yesterday at 5:08 pm

» Drive belt
by john grinsel Yesterday at 3:43 pm

» Stick to you budget boy
by KurtPerthWA Yesterday at 10:03 am

» No ride but an interesting day never the less. The flying brush hog
by Meldrew Yesterday at 12:33 am

» front fork lower 600t v 600d
by phils a winger Wed Jun 20, 2018 4:31 pm

» ABS Transplant and restoration.
by Cosmic_Jumper Wed Jun 20, 2018 11:02 am

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Share | 

Exhaust, pod filter, IAT probe mod: performance results

Go down 
AuthorMessage
gavinfdavies
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 113
Registration date : 2017-10-20

PostSubject: Exhaust, pod filter, IAT probe mod: performance results   Mon Apr 16, 2018 5:07 pm

This thread will eventually contain all the info of the various stages I've gone through while 'tweaking' my Swing. I will edit this original post to keep all updated info in one place.

So far I have a dyno baseline for a stock 5,000 mile engine with 22gram Dr Pulleys.

I have since fitted:
Step 1) A Delkevic 320mm stainless exhaust. It is significantly light and narrower than the stock item. I also removed the snorkel from the airbox.
Step 2) Fitted a new sensor to replace the IAT probe to trick the engine in to thinking it was 20 degrees C colder than actual. This should richen things up during acceleration by around 6%.
Step 3) Replaced entire airbox with large (6" long, 3.5" dia) K&N pod filter mounted to the plenum chamber. Details to follow. Kept the -20deg C probe at this point.
Step 4) Fitted a -25C probe and removed the luggage/grab rail. That shaves off a fair few more pounds, and only take circa 60s to replace if I plan to take the wife out.

I did a set of acceleration tests at 'Step 3'. As before, two way averages were done on a relatively still day, with so-called 'drag' starts where I hold the revs just before clutch bite.

Test type:----- Stock 28g rollers: -------- 22g Dr Pulleys: -------- Step 3 tune:

40-80mph----------------8.60s--------------------8.77s ----------------7.24s

00-50mph----------------5.15s--------------------4.93s----------------4.15s
....-60mph--------------6.93s----------------------6.78s---------------5.62s
....-70mph--------------9.44s--------------------9.03s---------------- 7.79s
....-80mph--------------12.22s-------------------12.13s----------------10.10s
....-90mph--------------15.79s-------------------17.57s----------------14.09s

I will add dyno results once I've got them for each stage. I will also post all pictures & links of the various bits.

Suffice to say I'm please so far - sub 6s! chickendance

Crucially performance 2-up is now much better, although the wench still bugger up the handling!

Back to top Go down
Mech 1 twa
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 280
Registration date : 2016-01-02

PostSubject: Re: Exhaust, pod filter, IAT probe mod: performance results   Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:43 pm

Very nice. Huge improvement in acceleration times. 0-80 is most impressive over 2 seconds.

Looks like more fuel and better breathing from air box made huge difference. Does KN filter fit under side cover? The filter box is huge. KN makes many different filters lengths, sizes. Sounds like you are having fun testing and moding SW.

Back to top Go down
gavinfdavies
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 113
Registration date : 2017-10-20

PostSubject: Re: Exhaust, pod filter, IAT probe mod: performance results   Tue Apr 17, 2018 12:05 pm

Yeah, it feels better, but even I was surprised how much faster it actually was. There's a big dip around 50mph when the Dr Pulleys transition from their acceleration profile to their cruising profile. This causes the revs to dip down below 5,000rpm. Peak power is probably north of 6,000 still on this motor - stock was 6,250rpm. Once the engine's finished I'll then sort the transmission to match. Will probably want a stiffer contra-spring to more the target rpm to just over 6,250rpm. The will hopefully shift that dip until after 60mph, i.e. after you've finished acceleration most of the way.

The K&N filter fits neatly under the cover, loads of free space. The problem is more one of getting the airbox off in the first place. Honda fitted the clamp with the screw head facing into the bike, so you have to remove the entire back of the bike to get to it (grab rails, both side panels, rear panels, battery & box, luggage compartment!). Once remove, just face the head outwards, and you can get to it by poking a screwdriver through the gap between the luggage compartment and the engine cover. Not the best decision by Honda me-thinks.

Filter is an RB-0720.
https://www.knfilters.co.uk/search/product.aspx?prod=RB-0720
Back to top Go down
Ddietz12
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 7
Registration date : 2017-04-04

PostSubject: Re: Exhaust, pod filter, IAT probe mod: performance results   Thu May 10, 2018 12:31 pm

Good information. I really want to make mine accelerate quicker and this seems to be a good way to do that. Do you have any pictures to share?
Back to top Go down
https://www.etsy.com/shop/OOTWcreations?ref=hdr_shop_menu

Exhaust, pod filter, IAT probe mod: performance results
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum :: Honda Silver Wing :: Accessories & Modifications-
Jump to: