Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

Hi, I am opening this site back up for new members. I closed it due to a few members complaining. Please just accept the site for what it is. The site is 'what it is'. We hope you enjoy the site. Please also join www.maxi-scoots.com !!!

HomeCalendarGalleryFAQSearchRegisterLog in
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» First Road Trip
by Greysilver Yesterday at 11:22 pm

» Hello from Norfolk, VA!
by cotetoi Yesterday at 11:12 pm

» Low rear tire Milage
by Sidewinder Pilot Yesterday at 9:06 pm

» Trike Tire Change ? ( re-post to correct forum )
by Briorick Yesterday at 8:08 pm

» Dusty RearWheel
by oldwingguy Yesterday at 7:02 pm

» Job #1 done, #2 not to sure of.
by Osprey Yesterday at 3:50 pm

» Braking
by Osprey Yesterday at 3:43 pm

» Helpful Tips for Centre Stand???
by MikeO Yesterday at 10:53 am

» Howdy y'all ...
by Sirkitrider Yesterday at 7:07 am

» Bonjour hullo from the Cote d'Azur
by Mech 1 twa Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:18 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Share | 

Big ride today

Go down 
AuthorMessage
ItBeMe
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 143
Registration date : 2017-09-29

PostSubject: Big ride today   Sat Apr 14, 2018 8:16 am

Going on about a 200 mile ride today. chickendance
Back to top Go down
Tn Traveler
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 45
Registration date : 2017-06-17

PostSubject: Re: Big ride today   Sat Apr 14, 2018 1:16 pm

Didn't get 200 but an enjoyable 125 miles. S/wing ran as usual
GREAT. I'm trying to get the old bones ready for summer.

Back to top Go down
Dale N.
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Number of posts : 985
Registration date : 2014-02-13

PostSubject: Re: Big ride today   Sat Apr 14, 2018 2:09 pm

I sat on mine and backed it up about 3 feet in my garage... Other than that, not much of a ride. YUP! It's Springtime in Minnesota!

Back to top Go down
cotetoi
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Number of posts : 581
Registration date : 2013-06-27

PostSubject: Re: Big ride today   Sat Apr 14, 2018 3:05 pm

I did several RTW trips over the past few weeks. Each one about an hour long. On Youtube, that is !!!! I was hoping to be riding by now: but the weather here has other surprises. And I got a bout of appendicitis, all taken care of ; another week of recovery left and will be able to resume full duties. I will be ok to push the bike on my own, but the weather still looks stormy until the end of April.
Thank goodness the fishing season starts tomorrow, and will be a welcome distraction until the weather turns.
Jay.
Back to top Go down
Pastor Ron
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 329
Registration date : 2013-02-24

PostSubject: Re: Big ride today   Sat Apr 14, 2018 3:28 pm

Donna and I have been blessed, we just got back from the outer banks having a room overlooking the ocean and then stayed at a place in Dillsboro overlooking a river.....good times indeed. I pray all of you will have miles of smiles this up and coming season
Back to top Go down
Mech 1 twa
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 314
Registration date : 2016-01-02

PostSubject: Re: Big ride today   Sat Apr 14, 2018 7:20 pm

Summer showed up here in eastern PA. for 2 days. 82-84 Friday and Saturday.
Today 236 miles. It's been a long winter. It's about time.
New rear tire working great. SW ran good burning off 4 month old gas 54 mpg.

Everybody was out riding. Sunday back to colder temps and rain. Had to take advantage of what mother nature gave me.
Back to top Go down
ItBeMe
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 143
Registration date : 2017-09-29

PostSubject: Re: Big ride today   Sat Apr 14, 2018 8:05 pm

My ride went well 107 miles with one stop. Than ate and headed back home.There were 25 bikes on the ride and we had a very good time. But this old body took a beating and I can tell it now. chickendance
Back to top Go down
Pastor Ron
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Big ride today   Sat Apr 14, 2018 8:26 pm

+1....I also want to add an off topic....it has been very enjoyable using this forum once again, since the change.
Back to top Go down
GHM-PM
Site Admin

Number of posts : 1345
Registration date : 2012-05-17

PostSubject: Re: Big ride today   Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:49 am

Saturday I rode into Sun City, AZ to meet a friend (about 80 miles round trip). When there he wanted me to ride his 650 Burgman to a dealership for appraisal (he is considering trading it in). That was about 22 miles round-trip. Great day for a ride for sure!!!

Note: this is the second time I have ridden a 650 Burgie, and while it is fairly quiet and powerful (engine is quiet but transmission makes weird noises) I would NOT trade my SWing for one... Just saying.
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2965
Registration date : 2010-11-16

PostSubject: Re: Big ride today   Mon Apr 16, 2018 1:15 pm

I got 361 miles in today, riding from P&O Ferries Europoort Terminal, Rotterdam, Holland to Bad Lauterberg im Harz, Lower Saxony, Germany. Weather fine and dry all day, so I was comfortable in my unlined Klim Overland suit with just a Sympatex base layer under it. Wearing my Schuberth E1 for it's first long trip too.

Just two short stops for fuel and small coffee, and no aches and pains either.

Last edited by Meldrew on Mon Apr 16, 2018 4:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Old Limey
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Number of posts : 844
Registration date : 2010-06-09

PostSubject: Re: Big ride today   Mon Apr 16, 2018 1:24 pm

Now that is a big ride Meldrew. I seldom do less than 100 mls on my runs. Saturday was 127. Sunday was 140mls but, I got caught in a deluge in the afternoon on the way home, no problem if your dressed for it.
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: Big ride today   Sun Apr 22, 2018 5:21 am

I got 250 miles or so in riding mainly autobahn from Bad Lauterburg in the Harz, to Aachen on the border with Holland and Belgium. The ride was hot as to be expected in the current weather conditions and even when I was sweating like a glass blowers arse, I haven't been tempted to go commando like Mr G.

The big news that might interest Canadian members is that Poutine has come to Germany, I had a very fine Classic Quebec Poutine in the new Frittenwork restaurant in the centre of Aachen. It was that good I'll probably go back today and have Montreal Style Poutine, and tomorrow BBQ Pulled Pork Poutine, or Pulled Honey Chicken Poutine.

The native Aacheners or 'Ochers' seem to be converts too. www.frittenwerk.com

Thank you Canada. Smile

( If Mr Sylar is puzzled, you'd know it as the cheese n' chips n' gravy you ate after your shift int' mill over in Lancashire) Smile
Back to top Go down
Old Limey
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

PostSubject: Re: Big ride today   Sun Apr 22, 2018 12:46 pm

I did work in a cotton mill, as a weaver, till I was 20 yrs old. When I got home it was tripe and cowwheels, sometimes Black pudding, as I come from Bury originally. You enjoy your foreign nosh.
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin

Number of posts : 2719
Registration date : 2009-06-12

PostSubject: Re: Big ride today   Sun Apr 22, 2018 3:06 pm

Cowwheels?
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: Big ride today   Sun Apr 22, 2018 3:33 pm

Typo, it's cow heel, or fetlock of a cow which when cooked slowly adds a lot flavour and produces a rich flavour. I think it's used with mince (ground beef) to make a savoury pie with a suet crust. They're a traditional Lancashire delicacy, along with tripe (don't ask!) and black (blood) pudding.

And as Sylar said Bury is famous for black pudding.

As I'm here I may as well mention I went back to Frittenwork today for more Canadian Poutine ( I'd have worn a tuque but it was far too hot), I tried Truffled Mac N' Cheese Poutine, it was OK but lacked the magic of melted cheese curds, hot fries, and tasty gravy.

This post may sound like the ramblings of a daft old man but it's serious culinary research, I'm going to Toronto with Mrs M in the summer.
Back to top Go down
The Bern
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Number of posts : 612
Registration date : 2014-11-20

PostSubject: Re: Big ride today   Sun Apr 22, 2018 4:11 pm

I could be getting into trouble but, I think that the best black pudding comes from .... Scotland
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: Big ride today   Sun Apr 22, 2018 4:47 pm

It tends to vary in shape in various regions too bud, the Bury black pudding is fat and slightly curved, there's cylindrical ones like a salami, some butchers in Cumbria baked in trays and cut into slabs, and in North Yorkshire we have Doreen's black pudding which is thick and triangular.

If you ever get the chance, try Cumberland and Black Pudding Sausage. Traditional Cumberland sausage with minced black pudding mixed in.
Back to top Go down
The Bern
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

PostSubject: Re: Big ride today   Sun Apr 22, 2018 4:55 pm

Meldrew wrote:

If you ever get the chance, try Cumberland and Black Pudding Sausage. Traditional Cumberland sausage with minced black pudding mixed in.

Ohhh will do bud. I like culinary reccomendations, sounds like next time I'm at Skipton pie 'n mash I need to divert into Kendal on the return leg, our loacl butcher does .. pork & apple & black pudding, very tasty
Back to top Go down
cotetoi
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

PostSubject: Re: Big ride today   Sun Apr 22, 2018 7:20 pm

No ride to report on, guys, but the other subject is dear to me. I have tasted and liked all the delights of cow heel soup, tripe done several different ways and jellied eels and all. I must admit I have not had poutine: shame on me, a Canadian. I have been to Quebec a few times but never sought to try their famous dish.
I mean, seriously, how can a plate of french fries and gravy be topped ! But I will definitely remedy that deficiency in my character at the earliest opportunity  and report back to you. I can attest to the fine taste of jellied eels ( UK), cow heel soup ( Caribbean friends here) and tripe ( Mauritius). I ate some mighty tasty dishes of tripe and beans and all types of sausages in Portugal last summer.
Silverwing breaking out of the long winter sleep tomorrow !!!
Jay.
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: Big ride today   Mon Apr 23, 2018 2:14 am

Jellied eels...yuk! They're definitely an aquired taste and I haven't got it. Apart from not having much taste, all this rolling this chunk of eel round in your mouth trying to get the flesh off the centre bone is a lot of effort for not much reward.

Sprinkling chili vinegar on the eels first spices them up a bit, but I've given up on them.

In London they have traditional Pie and Mash shops where they also serve 'liquor', a type of thin sauce made from the liquid the eels were cooked in.

I've tried a few of these establishments and have been disappointed on every occasion, lumpy mash troweled onto the side of the plate, and over cooked minced beef pies.

In Northern Germany they smoke whole or fillets of eel, and it's called räucheraal, it's delicious. If you liked smoked salmon you'll probably like smoked eel, it's just a bit more richer and maybe oiler. A thick smear of sinus clearing horseradish on it is the way to go.

Go to the Fischmarkt in Hamburg on a Sunday morning, there's numerous stalls selling it. The stall holders all doing their spiel, breaking up whole or fillets of eel and giving out free tasters to customers.

There's also a chain of fast food fish restaurants here called Nordsee where you can buy sliced smoked eel in a bread roll from a window counter.
Back to top Go down
The Bern
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

PostSubject: Re: Big ride today   Mon Apr 23, 2018 4:14 am

No ride out for me this weekend either, been busy constructing an Eiffel Tower (4 feet square at base by 9 feet high replica) on the patio to use as a climbing frame for my sweet peas Smile  Are cow heels used along similar lines to pigs trotters ? Jellied eels, tried them once & never again, I guess the they are cold smoked ?  Got a hot smoker in the garage, great for salmon, haddock, etc also nice for cherry smoked gammon steaks

Last edited by The Bern on Mon Apr 23, 2018 4:17 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Old Limey
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

PostSubject: Re: Big ride today   Mon Apr 23, 2018 4:15 am

Note to TheBern, Bury black pudding won World wide awards (Chadwicks). Some time ago a company appeared and called itself Bury Black Pudding Comp. Bury was also the birth place of Robert Peel founder of the "Peelers" original name for the police, and he was also a prime minister.
Back to top Go down
The Bern
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

PostSubject: Re: Big ride today   Mon Apr 23, 2018 4:24 am

Old Limey wrote:
Note to TheBern, Bury black pudding won World wide awards (Chadwicks). Some time ago a company appeared and called itself Bury Black Pudding Comp. Bury was also the birth place of Robert Peel founder of the "Peelers" original name for the police, and he was also a prime minister.

Doh!!!! now I shall have to ride to Bury too try the black pudding bounce looks like about 200 mile round trip Cool maybe next week as this is already 'rammed'
Back to top Go down
Mike from NS
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 305
Registration date : 2013-09-12

PostSubject: Re: Big ride today   Mon Apr 23, 2018 6:45 am

After the cold winter, the first ride of any kind is a Big Ride. But finally we have some decent riding weather in Atlantic Canada this week. I'm heading into Halifax soon ... or as soon as it warms up today. Right now at 7:45 it is a cool -3°C on the way to 15° later on. The rest of the week looks pretty good too. Jay, you are supposed to see something closer to 18° !! Hope you are feeling up to a ride. Good to have riding (or fishing season)to look forward to once the ski hills close. Otherwise it is a depressing time of year.

Mike
Back to top Go down
Dale N.
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

PostSubject: Re: Big ride today   Mon Apr 23, 2018 3:05 pm

I put about 120 miles on my SWing trike today. It's 68 degrees here so it felt nice.
I filled up when I got home and put in 2.8 gallons which gives me 41 mpg.
There was also a radar thingie with your speed reading on one of the roads and at 70 mph on the speedo I got 68 mph on the radar. So it seems like going from two wheels to the bigger wheels on the back brought my speedo closer to my actual speed. Until I saw that I figured the SWing speedo would still be about 5 mph off like "normal".
She handled great but I'm still getting used to intersection cornering. It feels better tho.
All in All, I'm feeling real happy with the conversion. The Motor Trike GT3 kit must still be pretty new because there's no owner's manual on their site for it. I called and gave them my email address and she said she'd look and see if they had something for it and email it to me. Time will tell...
Back to top Go down
Pastor Ron
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Big ride today   Mon Apr 23, 2018 3:27 pm

Dale, When I contacted MotorTrike, they advised me, other than occasionally checking bolts and chain slack and lube, of course tire pressure, ot is bullet proof.
Back to top Go down
Dale N.
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

PostSubject: Re: Big ride today   Mon Apr 23, 2018 3:48 pm

Thanks Pastor Ron. Nobody ever told me what the proper tire pressure is. I know it's usually not what's written on the sidewall tho. Although, that will give a starting point.
Back to top Go down
Mech 1 twa
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 314
Registration date : 2016-01-02

PostSubject: Re: Big ride today   Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:02 pm

Winter has been tough this year you just had a bunch of snow not long ago. I've gotten 2 good rides so far this year. 68F and sunny feels great.

Find the correct tire pressure. Sidewall is MAX. pressure tire is designed for. 2 wheels on rear now they share the load and pressure could be lower for better ride and handling.

Enjoy new toy and be safe.
Back to top Go down
cotetoi
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

PostSubject: Re: Big ride today   Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:46 pm

Mike from NS wrote:
After the cold winter, the first ride of any kind is a Big Ride.  But finally we have some decent riding weather in Atlantic Canada this week.  I'm heading into Halifax soon ... or as soon as it warms up today. Right now at 7:45 it is a cool -3°C on the way to 15° later on. The rest of the week looks pretty good too.  Jay, you are supposed to see something closer to 18° !!  Hope you are feeling up to a ride.  Good to have riding (or fishing season)to look forward to once the ski hills close.  Otherwise it is a depressing time of year.

Mike
Well, Mike, as promised I did take the SWing out today: 2 hour ride: warm enough if I stayed off the highway, but at speed, windchill does factor in. Not quite 18 yet ! But from here on it is supposed to about 10-11C for two weeks or so. I don't mind low double digits.

Jay.
Back to top Go down
Pastor Ron
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Big ride today   Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:03 pm

Dale, The correct tire pressure is low...21. Best...24
Back to top Go down
Dale N.
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

PostSubject: Re: Big ride today   Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:19 am

Thanks Pastor Ron. I'll give that a try.
Back to top Go down

Big ride today
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum :: General :: For Sale Section-
Jump to: