Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» What were they thinking?
Introduction From the Deep South I_icon_minitimeby Marvincon Today at 4:49 am

» Will my 2002 Silverwing 600 fit in the bed of my F150 Ford with Tailgat up or down?
Introduction From the Deep South I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Yesterday at 8:05 pm

» Earth cable stress
Introduction From the Deep South I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Yesterday at 7:29 pm

» Happy St. Patricks Day!
Introduction From the Deep South I_icon_minitimeby BrianInVA Yesterday at 5:11 pm

» Hello from Ontario, Canada
Introduction From the Deep South I_icon_minitimeby PerryH Sun Mar 17, 2024 7:05 pm

» LED Headlights
Introduction From the Deep South I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Sat Mar 16, 2024 7:52 am

» Cylinder Head Replacement
Introduction From the Deep South I_icon_minitimeby 95konig Fri Mar 15, 2024 9:50 pm

» Cooling fan still running
Introduction From the Deep South I_icon_minitimeby Terry Smith Wed Mar 13, 2024 3:18 pm

» March 2024 Forum Picture
Introduction From the Deep South I_icon_minitimeby Dale N. Wed Mar 13, 2024 2:38 pm

» Hyperpro Fork Springs
Introduction From the Deep South I_icon_minitimeby Mech 1 twa Sun Mar 10, 2024 7:31 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Introduction From the Deep South

Go down 
+10
Bairdb
Draco
The Bern
BSKB 24
carolina wing rider
Mech 1 twa
cotetoi
oldwingguy
Dale N.
Mike B
14 posters
AuthorMessage
Mike B
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 6
Registration date : 2017-05-10

Introduction From the Deep South Empty
PostSubject: Introduction From the Deep South   Introduction From the Deep South I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 21, 2018 1:39 pm

Hello Silver Wing riders,
My name is Mike and I have a beautiful 2009 Silver Wing that I purchased in the spring of 2009. Before I purchased my scooter I had no experience with any type of motorcycle or scooter. It had always been something that I wanted to try. My thoughts were start with a scooter and then if I liked it I would move on to a motorcycle. Then I saw a Honda Reflex at work and was intrigued by its style. I discovered that the Reflex was no longer in production but the Silver Wing was. So I went to the Honda dealer but they did not have one in stock. I bought one sight unseen! When the day came to pick it up I was amazed at how big it was! I had it delivered to my house because at that time I had zero riding experience. I started out on neighborhood streets and worked my way up, got my motorcycle endorsement and the rest is history.

I love my scooter and have put 30,000 miles on it since then. Above I mentioned that my plan was to graduate to a motorcycle in time. Well that time came a couple of months ago. I have been eyeing Triumph Bonnevilles for quite some time and I went to the dealer. They offered me $3000.00 for my scoot towards the purchase of a 2017 Bonnie. I told them I would think about it. I went home and started to feel guilty about trading the Silver Wing! I concluded that yes the Bonnie is a nice bike but being that I am mainly a commuter rider, the Bonnie would be for pleasure only. So i'm keeping the Swing! I believe it is unmatched in its versatility.

I would like to thank all of the members of the forum for their knowledge that has helped me over the years. I like to do all of the maintenance and repairs myself and this site has helped me out a great deal. As my scoot gets older their are things that need attention other than general maintenance. That is why you are hearing from me now. I am in the process of inspecting the transmission and have a few questions to ask. I will save them for the latest topics section.
Thanks,
Mike
Back to top Go down
Dale N.
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Dale N.

Number of posts : 1981
Registration date : 2014-02-13

PostSubject: Re: Introduction From the Deep South   Introduction From the Deep South I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 21, 2018 2:08 pm

Hi Mike and Welcome to the best SWing site on the net. There's lots of info here with lots of people ready and willing to help. I've learned a lot just by being a member here.
Back to top Go down
oldwingguy
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 1936
Registration date : 2016-01-29

PostSubject: Re: Introduction From the Deep South   Introduction From the Deep South I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 21, 2018 2:29 pm

Welcome from o-HI-o y'all.
Back to top Go down
Mike B
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Introduction From the Deep South   Introduction From the Deep South I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 21, 2018 2:32 pm

Thanks for the welcome Dale and oldwingguy. Yes I have learned many things on this site and hope to contribute as well.
Mike
Introduction From the Deep South Florida-2016-008-pic_2181
Back to top Go down
Mike B
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Introduction From the Deep South   Introduction From the Deep South I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 21, 2018 2:55 pm

My first attempt at a picture so here goes.Introduction From the Deep South Florid16
Back to top Go down
cotetoi
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Number of posts : 755
Registration date : 2013-06-27

PostSubject: Re: Introduction From the Deep South   Introduction From the Deep South I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 21, 2018 5:20 pm

Mike B, that's a fine looking SWing. I like the wine colour. You have racked up an impressive number of miles so you are well acquainted with your bike.
The "search" feature is a great resource but if it is not forthcoming with what you need, just ask. Most of us here are willing to jump in. Lots of well-informed owners and enthusiasts !
Welcome to the fold.
Jay.
Back to top Go down
Mech 1 twa
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Mech 1 twa

Number of posts : 1377
Registration date : 2016-01-02

PostSubject: Re: Introduction From the Deep South   Introduction From the Deep South I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 21, 2018 6:12 pm

Hello Mike. Much good info. here. Never too young or old to learn to ride.
I've owned much more powerful bikes and still do but I love to ride SW. If I want to go fast and far I'll take a motorcycle for the day. I've done 4-5 days on SW 7-800 miles its great.

Back to top Go down
carolina wing rider
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 305
Registration date : 2018-01-22

PostSubject: Introduction   Introduction From the Deep South I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 21, 2018 7:08 pm

Welcome to the forum Mike and greetings from North Carolina.
Back to top Go down
BSKB 24
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2017-11-06

PostSubject: Re: Introduction From the Deep South   Introduction From the Deep South I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 15, 2018 2:56 pm

Mike, Is that the stock seat or an aftermarket seat? I'm 6'4" and took the butt stop off mine. I still don't like it because the hard plastic hits me in the backside. Have been considering trying to find an aftermarket seat that will allow me to sit back more comfortably.
Back to top Go down
carolina wing rider
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 305
Registration date : 2018-01-22

PostSubject: Introduction   Introduction From the Deep South I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 15, 2018 2:59 pm

Welcome to a great forum Mike.
Back to top Go down
The Bern
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
The Bern

Number of posts : 897
Registration date : 2014-11-20

PostSubject: Re: Introduction From the Deep South   Introduction From the Deep South I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 15, 2018 3:28 pm

BSKB 24 wrote:
Mike,  Is that the stock seat or an aftermarket seat? I'm 6'4" and took the butt stop off mine. I still don't like it because the hard plastic hits me in the backside. Have been considering trying to find an aftermarket seat that will allow me to sit back more comfortably.

You can gain an extra 1 1/4" saddle length & retain the bum stop by simply relocating the mounting brackets bud. In standard form the brackets are held by two bolts each, undo them & drop the brakets down so they are now held in place by one bolt each

Back to top Go down
BSKB 24
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2017-11-06

PostSubject: Re: Introduction From the Deep South   Introduction From the Deep South I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 15, 2018 3:40 pm

The Bern wrote:
BSKB 24 wrote:
Mike,  Is that the stock seat or an aftermarket seat? I'm 6'4" and took the butt stop off mine. I still don't like it because the hard plastic hits me in the backside. Have been considering trying to find an aftermarket seat that will allow me to sit back more comfortably.

You can gain an extra 1 1/4" saddle length & retain the bum stop by simply relocating the mounting brackets bud.  In standard form the brackets are held by two bolts each, undo them & drop the brakets down so they are now held in place by one bolt each

Thanks for the tip. I will take a look to see if that looks good. By the way, all my ancestry is from the Isle of Wight and Portsmouth! thumbs up
Back to top Go down
The Bern
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
The Bern

Number of posts : 897
Registration date : 2014-11-20

PostSubject: Re: Introduction From the Deep South   Introduction From the Deep South I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 15, 2018 3:55 pm

You're welcome bud, some pic's ....

Standard position ...

Introduction From the Deep South Bum_stop_std

Position with moved brackets ...

Introduction From the Deep South Bum_stop_lifted

Relocated brackets should look like ...

Introduction From the Deep South Bum_stop_2_bolts

It's quick & easy mod' & best of all ... it's FREE Smile Hope it works for you
Back to top Go down
Mike B
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Introduction From the Deep South   Introduction From the Deep South I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 15, 2018 10:25 pm

BSBK 24, it is a stock seat that I removed the butt stop and added padding where the brackets were and then had it recovered by a local upholstery shop. The cost was about $300 dollars. I'm 6 feet tall so I wanted a little more room.
Back to top Go down
Draco
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 12
Registration date : 2015-03-13

PostSubject: Re: Introduction From the Deep South   Introduction From the Deep South I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 17, 2018 5:57 am

Hi Mike B, that's a great fix for the short seat problem. I have the same issue , being 6'3", o I've tried many things , but not this. Very inovative of you.
BSBK 24, I tried a Corbin Seat on my Silverwing. They make very nice aftermarket motorcycle seats but they are not so good with this scooter. They manufacturer a new fiberglass bottom for it which is lower than the original seat. So not only at you 1.5 inches lower but my helmet no longer fit under the seat. Also, the workmanshipwas subpar. Rivets used to hold brackets and suport structure on to the seat cracked the fiberglass in several places ate every rivet. It was a real Fiasco. They were nice enough to take it back, even though it is a custom order, considering the fiberglass living all over the place. I don't think this is Corbin's normal product. They have a good reputation but they missed the mark on this product. I think they've discontinued it.

There is a company, can't remember the name, that has you ride to one of their Associates, they measure you sitting on the scooter and design you a seat. I don't remember the name and I haven't tried it but they also have a good rap.
Draco

Back to top Go down
Mech 1 twa
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Mech 1 twa

Number of posts : 1377
Registration date : 2016-01-02

PostSubject: Re: Introduction From the Deep South   Introduction From the Deep South I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 17, 2018 5:56 pm

Want more room and a backrest for $60 ? Search Ebay silverwing backrest.

Steel bracket converts seat bumper into a backrest. I've been using it for 2 years much more room on seat. It includes a small pad to hide the plastic bracket on seat. Angle can be adjusted with washers and longer bolts on backrest if needed. Easy to install direct bolt on nothing to modify and can removed with no issues.
Back to top Go down
Bairdb
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 64
Registration date : 2017-02-12

PostSubject: Re: Introduction From the Deep South   Introduction From the Deep South I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 17, 2018 10:57 pm

Did that mod. On my 2013 and it really worked for me.
Back to top Go down
kathleen1953
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 8
Registration date : 2015-10-10

PostSubject: Also from the deep south   Introduction From the Deep South I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 26, 2018 9:58 pm

Hi Mike!
Glad to see another Silver wing rider nearby!
I'm in Gulfport. Mississippi!
Welcome!1
Back to top Go down
Tn Traveler
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 75
Registration date : 2017-06-17

PostSubject: Re: Introduction From the Deep South   Introduction From the Deep South I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 27, 2018 9:07 am

A WARM WELCOME back.
Written from the Land of Davy Crockett in the
mountains of East Tn.
Back to top Go down
Ejscoot
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 26
Registration date : 2017-05-08

PostSubject: Re: Introduction From the Deep South   Introduction From the Deep South I_icon_minitimeSat May 19, 2018 4:35 pm

The Bern I like your seat mod. I just put on a givi dt214 windscreen and the extra 1.5" or so puts my line of sight just about right.
Thanks.
thumbs up
Back to top Go down
steve_h80
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Number of posts : 990
Registration date : 2016-05-15

PostSubject: Re: Introduction From the Deep South   Introduction From the Deep South I_icon_minitimeSat May 19, 2018 4:47 pm

But back to the original post. Did you buy the bonnie as well as the sw?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Introduction From the Deep South   Introduction From the Deep South I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Introduction From the Deep South
Page 1 of 1