Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Will my 2002 Silverwing 600 fit in the bed of my F150 Ford with Tailgat up or down?
The best hot weather shirt I've found I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Yesterday at 8:05 pm

» What were they thinking?
The best hot weather shirt I've found I_icon_minitimeby cotetoi Yesterday at 7:49 pm

» Earth cable stress
The best hot weather shirt I've found I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Yesterday at 7:29 pm

» Happy St. Patricks Day!
The best hot weather shirt I've found I_icon_minitimeby BrianInVA Yesterday at 5:11 pm

» Hello from Ontario, Canada
The best hot weather shirt I've found I_icon_minitimeby PerryH Sun Mar 17, 2024 7:05 pm

» LED Headlights
The best hot weather shirt I've found I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Sat Mar 16, 2024 7:52 am

» Cylinder Head Replacement
The best hot weather shirt I've found I_icon_minitimeby 95konig Fri Mar 15, 2024 9:50 pm

» Cooling fan still running
The best hot weather shirt I've found I_icon_minitimeby Terry Smith Wed Mar 13, 2024 3:18 pm

» March 2024 Forum Picture
The best hot weather shirt I've found I_icon_minitimeby Dale N. Wed Mar 13, 2024 2:38 pm

» Hyperpro Fork Springs
The best hot weather shirt I've found I_icon_minitimeby Mech 1 twa Sun Mar 10, 2024 7:31 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

The best hot weather shirt I've found

Go down 
+10
buddy19520
willajabir
bikehiker
ItBeMe
Dale N.
Easyrider
Jolly Bodger
oldwingguy
steve_h80
carolina wing rider
14 posters
AuthorMessage
carolina wing rider
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 305
Registration date : 2018-01-22

The best hot weather shirt I've found Empty
PostSubject: The best hot weather shirt I've found   The best hot weather shirt I've found I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 17, 2018 3:04 am

Fisherman, hikers, and other outdoorsmen have been using these shirts for years. A while back a buddy of mine suggested I try one while riding motorcycles on hot days. I did and I was sold from then on. Some folks call them fishing shirts but basically they are made of 100% polyester. They have a layer of mesh underneath across the back and are super lightweight and vented. They don't hardly take up any room at all in your storage. I personally prefer the long sleeved version but they offer short and long sleeves. I just don't care for my arms getting cooked. I use a brand called "Jawbone" because I know they work and cost less than  some other brands. If this sounds like something you might be interested in go your your favorite auction or retail site and search "Jawbone" shirts. Hope this will make your hot day rides a little more bearable like they do for me.  Ride Often....
Back to top Go down
steve_h80
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Number of posts : 990
Registration date : 2016-05-15

PostSubject: Re: The best hot weather shirt I've found   The best hot weather shirt I've found I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 17, 2018 4:17 pm

Lets ignore the safety aspect...
It sodding winter and bloody cold over here!!!
Stop gloating!!!
But when it is warm and sunny over here (23rd May, between 10am and 6pm, for 2018 according to my Nostradamus Almanac) I wear a Revit mesh motorcycle jacket.
Back to top Go down
carolina wing rider
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Shirt   The best hot weather shirt I've found I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 17, 2018 5:52 pm

LOL............I hear you!!!
Back to top Go down
carolina wing rider
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Shirt   The best hot weather shirt I've found I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 17, 2018 5:57 pm

Speaking of safety our brothers and sisters in SOUTH Carolina are not even required to wear helmets.........but for me a helmet is absolutely mandatory........would you agree?
Back to top Go down
oldwingguy
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 1936
Registration date : 2016-01-29

PostSubject: Re: The best hot weather shirt I've found   The best hot weather shirt I've found I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 17, 2018 6:18 pm

o-HI-o is one of those that permit helmet less riding, for me ATGATT, it saved me once that's enough for me to keep it up.
Back to top Go down
carolina wing rider
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Shirt   The best hot weather shirt I've found I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 17, 2018 6:33 pm

I've been down hard several times through the years so I couldn't agree with you more. I may get road rash on arms and legs but I need to keep the head intact.
Back to top Go down
Jolly Bodger
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 105
Registration date : 2016-10-05

PostSubject: Re: The best hot weather shirt I've found   The best hot weather shirt I've found I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 17, 2018 8:15 pm

Having witnessed a friend grind his hand down to the bone, I would make gloves mandatory as well.

A sight that still gives me the shivers 40 odd years later.

JB
Back to top Go down
carolina wing rider
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Shirt   The best hot weather shirt I've found I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 17, 2018 8:37 pm

Point well taken JB. It still amazes me when I see riders in shorts with flip flops on their feet. Confidence perhaps?
Back to top Go down
Easyrider
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Easyrider

Number of posts : 1012
Registration date : 2015-12-18

PostSubject: Re: The best hot weather shirt I've found   The best hot weather shirt I've found I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 17, 2018 9:56 pm

carolina wing rider wrote:
Point well taken JB. It still amazes me when I see riders in shorts with flip flops on their feet. Confidence perhaps?

My bad! I am guilty of this! Sometimes I jump on my bike with shorts and flip-flops to go 1/3 of a mile to get lunch at a burger place. I know something bad can happen in that 1/3 mile. Just lazy or I'd walk. Any farther, I wear long
geans, Wolverine boots, hi-vis vest, gloves, and helmet. Again my bad!
Back to top Go down
carolina wing rider
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Shirt   The best hot weather shirt I've found I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 17, 2018 11:20 pm

No Bad at all........I have done it awhile back. Just be careful........
Back to top Go down
Dale N.
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Dale N.

Number of posts : 1981
Registration date : 2014-02-13

PostSubject: Re: The best hot weather shirt I've found   The best hot weather shirt I've found I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 18, 2018 8:02 am

MN is an either/or state too. I usually don't wear my helmet in town if I'm just going for something to eat. I do have the helmet under the seat for when I go out on the highway. I always wear it then along with my leather jacket.
Back to top Go down
ItBeMe
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 169
Registration date : 2017-09-29

PostSubject: Re: The best hot weather shirt I've found   The best hot weather shirt I've found I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 18, 2018 8:12 am

I ride butt necked. LOL
Back to top Go down
Dale N.
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Dale N.

PostSubject: Re: The best hot weather shirt I've found   The best hot weather shirt I've found I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 18, 2018 10:43 am

ItBeMe wrote:
I ride butt necked. LOL

ROFLMAO...

Well, I guess we can look at the bright side. You won't get your clothes wet or dirty that way.
Back to top Go down
carolina wing rider
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Shirt   The best hot weather shirt I've found I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 18, 2018 8:22 pm

Well allrighty then.........as long as you are ridin' and havin' fun you are..............well..............I'm going to do my best NOT to form a mental picture of this. LOL
Back to top Go down
oldwingguy
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 1936
Registration date : 2016-01-29

PostSubject: Re: The best hot weather shirt I've found   The best hot weather shirt I've found I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 19, 2018 8:11 am

Smile that hurts my eyes even with my glasses off Smile
Back to top Go down
bikehiker
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
bikehiker

Number of posts : 433
Registration date : 2017-09-07

PostSubject: Re: The best hot weather shirt I've found   The best hot weather shirt I've found I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 19, 2018 9:13 pm

ItBeMe wrote:
I ride butt necked. LOL

Yup. "Butt neked" with knee pads for safety...just in case.

Keeps the boots dry...at home.
Back to top Go down
Dale N.
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Dale N.

PostSubject: Re: The best hot weather shirt I've found   The best hot weather shirt I've found I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 19, 2018 9:52 pm

bikehiker wrote:
ItBeMe wrote:
I ride butt necked. LOL

Yup.  "Butt neked" with knee pads for safety...just in case.  

Keeps the boots dry...at home.

Yup. You don't want to hurt the knees. The right knee, the left knee or the wee knee...
Sorry, I couldn't help myself.
Back to top Go down
willajabir
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 161
Registration date : 2012-08-21

PostSubject: Re: The best hot weather shirt I've found   The best hot weather shirt I've found I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 20, 2018 12:05 am

steve_h80 wrote:
Lets ignore the safety aspect...
It sodding winter and bloody cold over here!!!
Stop gloating!!!
But when it is warm and sunny over here (23rd May, between 10am and 6pm, for 2018 according to my Nostradamus Almanac) I wear a Revit mesh motorcycle jacket.
Warm here BUT I still use a mesh jacket and put a liner in it or other insulation when cold.
I don't wear synthetics that can melt easily. I saw a fellow biker hit the road back in 1989 and the material was melting into her arm.
Sad, scarred, & painful. Not condemning or judging others, just saying what changed me as I rode without the gear before that.

I advocate for your right to choose. At least in most cases. Jury still out on my neighbor over in Ga!!!!!! Rolling Eyes
Godiva version I definitely would support.
Back to top Go down
buddy19520
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
buddy19520

Number of posts : 378
Registration date : 2010-02-28

PostSubject: Re: The best hot weather shirt I've found   The best hot weather shirt I've found I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 01, 2018 9:40 pm

"I don't wear synthetics that can melt easily. I saw a fellow biker hit the road back in 1989 and the material was melting into her arm.
Sad, scarred, & painful. Not condemning or judging others, just saying what changed me as I rode without the gear before that."

I've heard the same thing about synthetics melting into your skin in a slide.  I tend to wear jeans and a cotton t shirt. Usually have a mesh or leather jacket on, with boots and gloves.  The first thing anyone will do in a crash is stick their hands out to break a fall.
Back to top Go down
GHM-PM
Site Admin
GHM-PM

Number of posts : 2537
Registration date : 2012-05-17

PostSubject: Re: The best hot weather shirt I've found   The best hot weather shirt I've found I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 02, 2018 8:42 am

I have been riding since 1969 ( 2 wheelers) and have seen many things good and bad. I have been in several get-offs on road and off-road. I watched my brother drop his motorcycle off-road and his head hit a melon size rock at speed! And the cheap 3/4 helmet saved his life too! ATTGATT is the rule but that said I must confess I sometimes cheat a bit as it is HOT in Arizona. Helmet and gloves are on at all times though and no I do not wear flip-flops, usually boots but sometimes athletic shoes...

Arizona is depressing in that most Harley riders speed through Phoenix on the freeway with a dew rag on their head... EGAD. Some of the Legion Riders I run with do the same thing. No helmet law here. Scary.
Back to top Go down
Easyrider
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Easyrider

Number of posts : 1012
Registration date : 2015-12-18

PostSubject: Re: The best hot weather shirt I've found   The best hot weather shirt I've found I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 02, 2018 3:27 pm

Glenn,
Do you use a jacket when riding in the heat of Arizona? If so, what is the brand/name of your jacket? I usually use a construction hi-vis vest over my tee shirt. Gets very uncomfortable here in Hawaii with all the humidity. You probably only ride in the morning or late afternoon. I use to live in Las Cruces NM so I know about how hot it can get.
Back to top Go down
GHM-PM
Site Admin
GHM-PM

Number of posts : 2537
Registration date : 2012-05-17

PostSubject: Re: The best hot weather shirt I've found   The best hot weather shirt I've found I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 02, 2018 3:47 pm

Easyrider wrote:
Glenn,
Do you use a jacket when riding in the heat of Arizona? If so, what is the brand/name of your jacket? I usually use a construction hi-vis vest over my tee shirt. Gets very uncomfortable here in Hawaii with all the humidity. You probably only ride in the morning or late afternoon. I use to live in Las Cruces NM so I know about how hot it can get.

I use a Bilt Blaze (Cycle Gear) mesh jacket. Most comfortable jacket I own.  I also have matching mesh pants all armored of course. If I have to travel far I use a cool vest. But you are right most rides are in morning or evening...  If it is not too hot I put a hi-vis vest over the jacket...
Back to top Go down
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2658
Registration date : 2009-07-17

PostSubject: Re: The best hot weather shirt I've found   The best hot weather shirt I've found I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 03, 2018 12:38 am

AGATT! All the Gear All The Time! Been riding for a bit over 60 years and have made my share of unplanned dismounts. These days being old and brittle I wear the gear whenever and where ever I ride.

It's been hot for the past few weeks often over 100F and at times we've hit 111F. I ride with a mesh jacket that has armored shoulders, elbows, side and back panels. It's actually cooler than shirt sleeve, blocks sun and lets the wind through. ALWAYS WEAR A HELMET. It's mandatory in the Western states but I'd never go around the block without one. Gloves are a must. I wear perforated leather glove in hot weather. Boots instead of shoes, once on the desert I dumped a Bultaco and lost both shoes in the process. Took a couple months before my feet were back to near normal. I ride with regular jeans locally but wear kevlar motorcycle jeans for longer or faster rides.

Color me chicken but I'm too old to grow more skin.
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4169
Registration date : 2010-11-16

PostSubject: Re: The best hot weather shirt I've found   The best hot weather shirt I've found I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 03, 2018 3:46 am

I've worn Hein Gericke and Rev'it mesh riding suits for years for summer and hot weather riding. They're good up to a point, although their effectiveness is limited by two things. The first being the amount of air flowing through the mesh panels on your chest is limited by the screen you're riding behind.

The other is that large back protector inside the jacket that acts as insulation and effectively prevents perspiration evaporating on the surface area it covers, so you have a wet back and a damp base layer.

The Macna Dry Cooling Vest I've been using this summer seems to work pretty well under these suits, and I may look at replacing the complete HG protectors for D3O or mesh.
Back to top Go down
Flyingpanman
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Flyingpanman

Number of posts : 237
Registration date : 2016-06-03

PostSubject: Re: The best hot weather shirt I've found   The best hot weather shirt I've found I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 03, 2018 6:06 am

For the past 3 years I've been wearing a mesh jacket from Australian Biker's Gear. I figured the Aussies should know a thing or two about riding in hot weather!

Although available in various colours, I chose a silvery colour and find it reflects the sun's rays making it very cool sitting in hot sun. It was also a bargain price on eBay.

The mesh panels are very large and have armour, but I'm getting some D30 armour for it. It also has an insulated waterproof liner that can easily be stowed in the scooter in case of showers/temperature drops.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The best hot weather shirt I've found   The best hot weather shirt I've found I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The best hot weather shirt I've found
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum :: Honda Silver Wing :: Maintenance, Tips and Hints-
Jump to: