Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Hi there guys
Windscreen mounting nut holders.  [Edit: Wellnuts] I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Today at 12:16 pm

» Rear shock longevity
Windscreen mounting nut holders.  [Edit: Wellnuts] I_icon_minitimeby Erdoc48 Today at 9:07 am

» Final Drive Noise banished
Windscreen mounting nut holders.  [Edit: Wellnuts] I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Today at 7:14 am

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
Windscreen mounting nut holders.  [Edit: Wellnuts] I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Yesterday at 7:40 am

» What did you do to your SW today.
Windscreen mounting nut holders.  [Edit: Wellnuts] I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:26 pm

» YSS rear shocks for sale
Windscreen mounting nut holders.  [Edit: Wellnuts] I_icon_minitimeby StuartBrown Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:36 pm

» New to Me Swing
Windscreen mounting nut holders.  [Edit: Wellnuts] I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:06 pm

» SOLD 2004 Honda Silver Wing for sale, tastefully modded SOLD
Windscreen mounting nut holders.  [Edit: Wellnuts] I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Sun Apr 14, 2024 2:29 pm

» peace, love and life
Windscreen mounting nut holders.  [Edit: Wellnuts] I_icon_minitimeby cello33 Fri Apr 12, 2024 6:35 pm

» Fork specs, please help before 9/4/2024
Windscreen mounting nut holders.  [Edit: Wellnuts] I_icon_minitimeby Anders L Thu Apr 11, 2024 9:58 am

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Windscreen mounting nut holders. [Edit: Wellnuts]

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
v23nb
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 36
Registration date : 2017-12-27

Windscreen mounting nut holders.  [Edit: Wellnuts] Empty
PostSubject: Windscreen mounting nut holders. [Edit: Wellnuts]   Windscreen mounting nut holders.  [Edit: Wellnuts] I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 11, 2018 8:34 am

I have this morning removed my stock screen and replaced it with a Givi AF214 Airflow. Over the last few days I read everything there is to do with this screen on this forum using the search function. One things that repeatedly came up was the point about not pressing too hard when undoing the 6 machine screws that hold the screen in place or the rubber nut holders will come out and then drop down inside the fairing. I saw on several occasions reference to ordering new ones from Honda dealers at vast expense.

A previous owner of my bike had used a MRA Vario touring screen however this had been replaced with a stock screen before I bought it. Prior to fitting the Givi I had taken a look at the job in hand and noticed that whoever had replaced my screen had left out the front pair of screws and the mounting nuts were also missing. I have now replaced these but the point I want to make is that these aren’t any special Honda component, they can be bought from eBay for about a pound each and are called a Wellnut. The ones for the screen are M5 wellnuts (for 5mm screws). They fit a 10mm hole and the ones I got were 14mm deep (although there is room for longer if that’s all you can find). Apologies for stating the bleedin’ obvious to some people however hopefully that info might save expensive Honda costs for those less technically minded.

Last edited by v23nb on Fri Jan 12, 2018 5:30 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
v23nb
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 36
Registration date : 2017-12-27

PostSubject: Re: Windscreen mounting nut holders. [Edit: Wellnuts]   Windscreen mounting nut holders.  [Edit: Wellnuts] I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 12, 2018 5:28 am

Windscreen mounting nut holders.  [Edit: Wellnuts] 5cf7a310

Windscreen mounting nut holders.  [Edit: Wellnuts] 2cc97b10
Back to top Go down
Sidewinder Pilot
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Sidewinder Pilot

Number of posts : 200
Registration date : 2015-05-21

PostSubject: Re: Windscreen mounting nut holders. [Edit: Wellnuts]   Windscreen mounting nut holders.  [Edit: Wellnuts] I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 12, 2018 12:00 pm

I bought mine on eBay, 10 for about 3.50 USD, including new Allen head screws. That's about half the price Honda charges for just one w/o the screw!

Sent from Topic'it App
Back to top Go down
steve_h80
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Number of posts : 998
Registration date : 2016-05-15

PostSubject: Re: Windscreen mounting nut holders. [Edit: Wellnuts]   Windscreen mounting nut holders.  [Edit: Wellnuts] I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 12, 2018 12:59 pm

I remember messing about with my other bike convinced these where a special item and taking great care not to damage them.
Then a mate mentioned wellnuts, which I initially thought was something medical!
Back to top Go down
Easyrider
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Easyrider

Number of posts : 1012
Registration date : 2015-12-18

PostSubject: Re: Windscreen mounting nut holders. [Edit: Wellnuts]   Windscreen mounting nut holders.  [Edit: Wellnuts] I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 12, 2018 1:08 pm

Just a caution: DO NOT use Loctite on the threads. Makes it a pain to remove later. DON'T ask me how I know!!!! LOL!!
Back to top Go down
The Bern
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
The Bern

Number of posts : 897
Registration date : 2014-11-20

PostSubject: Re: Windscreen mounting nut holders. [Edit: Wellnuts]   Windscreen mounting nut holders.  [Edit: Wellnuts] I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 13, 2018 10:30 am

Thanks for the info bud, it's only obvious to me now you've mentioned it Wink
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Windscreen mounting nut holders. [Edit: Wellnuts]   Windscreen mounting nut holders.  [Edit: Wellnuts] I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Windscreen mounting nut holders. [Edit: Wellnuts]
Page 1 of 1