Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Will my 2002 Silverwing 600 fit in the bed of my F150 Ford with Tailgat up or down?
Front Fork Brace I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Today at 11:05 am

» What were they thinking?
Front Fork Brace I_icon_minitimeby cotetoi Today at 10:49 am

» Earth cable stress
Front Fork Brace I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Today at 10:29 am

» Happy St. Patricks Day!
Front Fork Brace I_icon_minitimeby BrianInVA Today at 8:11 am

» Hello from Ontario, Canada
Front Fork Brace I_icon_minitimeby PerryH Yesterday at 10:05 am

» LED Headlights
Front Fork Brace I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Sat Mar 16, 2024 10:52 pm

» Cylinder Head Replacement
Front Fork Brace I_icon_minitimeby 95konig Sat Mar 16, 2024 12:50 pm

» Cooling fan still running
Front Fork Brace I_icon_minitimeby Terry Smith Thu Mar 14, 2024 6:18 am

» March 2024 Forum Picture
Front Fork Brace I_icon_minitimeby Dale N. Thu Mar 14, 2024 5:38 am

» Hyperpro Fork Springs
Front Fork Brace I_icon_minitimeby Mech 1 twa Mon Mar 11, 2024 10:31 am

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Front Fork Brace

Go down 
+9
exavid
willajabir
arskal
Meldrew
Mech 1 twa
Cosmic_Jumper
SteveSilverWing
The Bern
docjones
13 posters
AuthorMessage
docjones
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 52
Registration date : 2011-10-13

Front Fork Brace Empty
PostSubject: Front Fork Brace   Front Fork Brace I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 08, 2018 3:28 am

When I was in my teens all the expensive motocross bikes had front fork braces (or brackets). I know what these braces are used for, I'm just curious why the FSC600A has them and the FSC600D doesn't? So can anyone tell me the difference between these two Swings besides the fork brace? I thought it was just the California version against all the rest but that doesn't make sense, or does it?
Back to top Go down
The Bern
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
The Bern

Number of posts : 897
Registration date : 2014-11-20

Front Fork Brace Empty
PostSubject: Re: Front Fork Brace   Front Fork Brace I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 08, 2018 6:46 am

Is the one you've seen on 600A an aftermarket item ? As there's no brace on mine (2001 model) !
On your 2013 model you definately have a brace, it is fitted at manufacture but is cunningly hidden inside the mudguard/fender, hence not visible until mudguard/fender is removed.

This is what you should have ....

Front Fork Brace S-l225
Back to top Go down
SteveSilverWing
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
SteveSilverWing

Number of posts : 133
Registration date : 2015-04-18

Front Fork Brace Empty
PostSubject: Re: Front Fork Brace   Front Fork Brace I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 08, 2018 7:51 am

The Bern wrote:
Is the one you've seen on 600A an aftermarket item ? As there's no brace on mine (2001 model) !
On your 2013 model you definately have a brace, it is fitted at manufacture but is cunningly hidden inside the mudguard/fender, hence not visible until mudguard/fender is removed.

This is what you should have ....

Front Fork Brace S-l225

That is interesting regarding front fork brace. My Swing is a 2013 FSC600AD and I wonder what the brace actually does since I was not aware of its existence.  Of course, it braces, but why would some models have them and others not?

Just curious...as always.

Steve
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-13

Front Fork Brace Empty
PostSubject: Re: Front Fork Brace   Front Fork Brace I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 08, 2018 9:36 am

That piece seems pretty flimsy to act a a proper fork brace. Seems as if it's more of a fender/mudgard mount. I would expect a proper brace to be substantially sturdier. I don't think that there is space for a fork brace to mount.

Tim
Back to top Go down
Mech 1 twa
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Mech 1 twa

Number of posts : 1377
Registration date : 2016-01-03

Front Fork Brace Empty
PostSubject: Re: Front Fork Brace   Front Fork Brace I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 08, 2018 11:21 am

I agree with Cosmic Jumper that is not a fork brace. Its just an improved fender mount.

Are the forks different? Fender mounting holes maybe or just longer bolts to attach that support.
Honda improves parts all the time if they find a WARR. issue or problem.

A true brace needs to be stiff. Plastic part like this is not strong. There is not much room on such a short fork it would shorten the travel.
Back to top Go down
docjones
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Front Fork Brace Empty
PostSubject: Re: Front Fork Brace   Front Fork Brace I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 08, 2018 12:57 pm

The forks, the bottom pieces are different. There are mounting places on four sides. Two on each fork. I don't think the fender ties into it at all but I could be wrong. It is obviously an additional brace just to stiffen up the front end/front forks. Just to keep things from twisting and keeping the forks together. I think it works Cosmic Jumper because it is all tied together. I was just wondering the difference between the A and the D. My wife must have an 06 D and I have an 13 A.
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4169
Registration date : 2010-11-16

Front Fork Brace Empty
PostSubject: Re: Front Fork Brace   Front Fork Brace I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 08, 2018 6:54 pm

Mech 1 twa wrote:
I agree with Cosmic Jumper that is not a fork brace. Its just an improved fender mount.

Are the forks different?  Fender mounting holes maybe or just longer bolts to attach that support.
Honda improves parts all the time if they find a WARR. issue or problem.

A true brace needs to be stiff. Plastic part like this is not strong.  There is not much room on such a short fork it would shorten the travel.

Obviously we are now into the silly season because it's winter and the toys are back in the cupboard. I've had my front mudguard/fender off a few times to fit mudflaps, and it looks like a fork brace to me.

I didn't even know there was one there until I removed the mudguard for the first time. It may not look like or be as substantial as a accessory bolt on fork brace, but it's out of sight and seems up to the job.

It isn't plastic either it's metal, I clean any mud off the brace, bracket or whatever you like to call it whenever I have the mudguard off, and it has weathered the last seven British winters without rusting.
Back to top Go down
arskal
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
arskal

Number of posts : 55
Registration date : 2017-07-14

Front Fork Brace Empty
PostSubject: Re: Front Fork Brace   Front Fork Brace I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 08, 2018 10:14 pm

If you look from spare parts catalog you'll find this bracket from Front Fender section. If this bracket related to the front fork, I think you find this parts from Front Fork section. This is my quess, not exactly information.
Back to top Go down
The Bern
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
The Bern

Front Fork Brace Empty
PostSubject: Re: Front Fork Brace   Front Fork Brace I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 09, 2018 12:32 am

The descriptive term front fender fork brace occurs for a similar item on other models ....

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1974-1978-Honda-CB550-CB-550-Front-Fender-Fork-Brace-/401295817740

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Honda-Shadow-Sabre-VT1100-VT-1100-6136-Front-Fender-Fork-Brace-/361859839612
Back to top Go down
willajabir
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 161
Registration date : 2012-08-22

Front Fork Brace Empty
PostSubject: Re: Front Fork Brace   Front Fork Brace I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 09, 2018 4:02 am

I may be wrong, but I see 2 different things being discussed here.
The OP is asking about a fork brace that reduces fork twist if I understand him correctly.
Others are responding about a fork brace mount for the front fender.

The fork brace that reduces fork twist will change bike performance/handling as it reduces the flexibility of the front forks.
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Front Fork Brace Empty
PostSubject: Re: Front Fork Brace   Front Fork Brace I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 09, 2018 6:39 am

That piece is officially called, "Bracket, fr fender". It is used on all ABS (A) models from 2003 forward (when ABS became an option on the Silverwing) and is also used on non-ABS (D) models from 2008 forward when Honda upgraded the non-ABS models to the larger 230 MM front rotor --the same rotor which is used on all ABS models. The lower fork tubes have different mounting points to accomodate relocating the brake caliper for the larger rotor. Thus the fender mount bracket was made common as well.

On a related note, a friend had a non-ABS 2004 model (no fender bracket), a chunk of road debris became wedged between the tire and fender and immediately tore the entire fender off. He was extremely fortunate that he was able to keep the scoot upright as the loose fender continued forward around the wheel and he rode over the whole mess.

It could be that the fender bracket adds additional security to the fender mounting in the advent of something like this happening.

Tim
Back to top Go down
arskal
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
arskal

Number of posts : 55
Registration date : 2017-07-14

Front Fork Brace Empty
PostSubject: Re: Front Fork Brace   Front Fork Brace I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 09, 2018 8:27 am

I think that this bracket has two function. Better support for the front fender and will provide a better handling in your bike. It helps keep your frontend stiff and straight when cornering and braking hard.

Back to top Go down
Mech 1 twa
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Mech 1 twa

Number of posts : 1377
Registration date : 2016-01-03

Front Fork Brace Empty
PostSubject: Re: Front Fork Brace   Front Fork Brace I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 09, 2018 11:23 am

I do remember removing this part to do my fork springs. Yeah its metal its been a few years 2 maybe. I just never thought it as a fork brace just a fender mount. This is my first SW. thought they all shared the same parts except the upgraded FI system in 2008.

Brace , fender mount. It does link the fork tubes together adds strength to the forks.

Silly season it is. Should be above freezing on TUE. first time in 14 days here. Cold in NE states . Record lows. Minus -1F last Sat. night.

Learn something new almost everyday. Everyday !!!

Back to top Go down
docjones
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Front Fork Brace Empty
PostSubject: Re: Front Fork Brace   Front Fork Brace I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 09, 2018 1:05 pm

Thanks for that information Cosmic_Jumper. Makes sense. I haven't taken mine apart yet but I see no ties between the fork bracket and the fender. Two separate mountings for both. I'm replacing my front fender next week and I'll give an update.
Back to top Go down
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2658
Registration date : 2009-07-18

Front Fork Brace Empty
PostSubject: Re: Front Fork Brace   Front Fork Brace I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 12, 2018 5:06 am

It definitely is part of the fender assembly. Fork braces are often (unnecessarily installed) on Goldwings and other heavy motorcycles. The Silver Wing has a front fork assembly like and aircraft nose gear, inverted Y shaped. Most motor cycles use two separate tubes attaching to the steering stem with two triangular clamps. The braces people add are much heavier metal and clamp to the stem and both fork sliders. I had a Goldwing that had these installed. They were the first thing I junked. After removed them I couldn't feel any difference in handling including the GW's famous '35mph decelerating wobble'.
Back to top Go down
docjones
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Front Fork Brace Empty
PostSubject: Re: Front Fork Brace   Front Fork Brace I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 15, 2018 6:36 am

Just an update. Replaced my front fender yesterday and I would say that is a fork brace/fender bracket. I could have mounted the fender to the forks without the brace but I believe the brace is substantial enough to call it a brace. It's kinda a 3 handed job and the front tire has to be removed but I don't think that is the case with my wife's 06 with no fork brace. Thanks for helping guys. Tom
Back to top Go down
Tn Traveler
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 75
Registration date : 2017-06-18

Front Fork Brace Empty
PostSubject: Re: Front Fork Brace   Front Fork Brace I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 15, 2018 11:06 am

There is a different fender for the 06 swing. the abs 06 uses the
metal brace - the non abs dosen't. Two different fenders on the
scooter. Been there & know the difference now, I replaced all the
plastic when I re-skined it 3 years ago.
Back to top Go down
Loosemarbles
Site Admin
Loosemarbles

Number of posts : 1549
Registration date : 2016-10-02

Front Fork Brace Empty
PostSubject: Re: Front Fork Brace   Front Fork Brace I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 03, 2018 9:01 pm

Hi All,

I am wondering whether the fork brace can be retro fitted to my 2001 SW. If it does actually 'brace' the forks why didn't Honda recommend it as an after fit? Is it really necessary? Is there a definitive answer to this conundrum?
Back to top Go down
The Bern
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
The Bern

Front Fork Brace Empty
PostSubject: Re: Front Fork Brace   Front Fork Brace I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 03, 2018 9:53 pm

Not easily bud, the mudguard mounting method is different on 01 &02 to later models with the fork brace. Mine (01) will be off the road for a short while later this summer, at which point I'll investigate possibilities.
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Front Fork Brace Empty
PostSubject: Re: Front Fork Brace   Front Fork Brace I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 03, 2018 10:04 pm

It would be nice if a proper "dog bone" fork brace could be developed for the front end. Something that could be fitted. Then, I suppose, a more sport type fender (mudguard) would need to be mounted.

Wow, I can just see Uncle Meldrew and Mr Grinsel's hackles raise as I type this.

Tim
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4169
Registration date : 2010-11-16

Front Fork Brace Empty
PostSubject: Re: Front Fork Brace   Front Fork Brace I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 03, 2018 10:32 pm

As you've taken my name in vain once again Timothy, let's have it on the record I couldn't care less about fork braces proper or not. As I've said many times before, I ride a maxi scooter, and I know it's a maxi scooter.

I can't speak for Mr Grinsel but I suspect he doesn't give a toss either. In Philadelphia terms I'm neither Pat's or Gino's, more a John's Roast Pork type of bloke.

Have a nice day.

Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Front Fork Brace Empty
PostSubject: Re: Front Fork Brace   Front Fork Brace I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 03, 2018 10:36 pm

Well said, sir
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3290
Registration date : 2009-08-19

Front Fork Brace Empty
PostSubject: Re: Front Fork Brace   Front Fork Brace I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 03, 2018 11:19 pm

I rode the SilverWing as big SCOOTER, on the 2 new I had, both had strong metal brace under front fender---worked fine for me. Honda figures things out very well.
Back to top Go down
steve_h80
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Number of posts : 990
Registration date : 2016-05-16

Front Fork Brace Empty
PostSubject: Re: Front Fork Brace   Front Fork Brace I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 04, 2018 2:35 am

arskal wrote:
It helps keep your frontend stiff and straight

Something we all need as we get older lol
Back to top Go down
Loosemarbles
Site Admin
Loosemarbles

Number of posts : 1549
Registration date : 2016-10-02

Front Fork Brace Empty
PostSubject: Re: Front Fork Brace   Front Fork Brace I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 04, 2018 2:44 am

Is that a yes or no? What a Face
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Front Fork Brace Empty
PostSubject: Re: Front Fork Brace   Front Fork Brace I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Front Fork Brace
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum :: Honda Silver Wing :: Silver Wing Topics-
Jump to: