Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» What were they thinking?
New Year's Day I_icon_minitimeby Marvincon Today at 4:49 am

» Will my 2002 Silverwing 600 fit in the bed of my F150 Ford with Tailgat up or down?
New Year's Day I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Yesterday at 8:05 pm

» Earth cable stress
New Year's Day I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Yesterday at 7:29 pm

» Happy St. Patricks Day!
New Year's Day I_icon_minitimeby BrianInVA Yesterday at 5:11 pm

» Hello from Ontario, Canada
New Year's Day I_icon_minitimeby PerryH Sun Mar 17, 2024 7:05 pm

» LED Headlights
New Year's Day I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Sat Mar 16, 2024 7:52 am

» Cylinder Head Replacement
New Year's Day I_icon_minitimeby 95konig Fri Mar 15, 2024 9:50 pm

» Cooling fan still running
New Year's Day I_icon_minitimeby Terry Smith Wed Mar 13, 2024 3:18 pm

» March 2024 Forum Picture
New Year's Day I_icon_minitimeby Dale N. Wed Mar 13, 2024 2:38 pm

» Hyperpro Fork Springs
New Year's Day I_icon_minitimeby Mech 1 twa Sun Mar 10, 2024 7:31 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

New Year's Day

Go down 
+9
oldwingguy
Pastor Ron
Cosmic_Jumper
cotetoi
Mike from NS
Old Limey
Dale N.
bikehiker
SteveSilverWing
13 posters
AuthorMessage
SteveSilverWing
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
SteveSilverWing

Number of posts : 133
Registration date : 2015-04-17

New Year's Day Empty
PostSubject: New Year's Day   New Year's Day I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 31, 2017 7:04 pm

Hi everyone!

I hope this email catches you all in good spirits and ready for what's in store in 2018!

What celebration are you planning to ring in the New Year???

Unlike previous years where I went out and painted the town a shade or two of red, tonight I'll be staying in and relaxing as I watch all the festivities on TV.

Tomorrow is my 63rd birthday and I have no plans as of yet. Being that the weather is mild, I'll probably take a ride to some scenic sites that my city has to offer. Maybe Griffiths Park Observatory, or simply a quiet ride in the Angeles National Forest.

So what's it going to be for you all? I'd enjoy hearing back with any plans you have made!

Steve in Los Angeles, California

Last edited by SteveSilverWing on Sun Dec 31, 2017 8:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
bikehiker
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
bikehiker

Number of posts : 433
Registration date : 2017-09-07

New Year's Day Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Year's Day   New Year's Day I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 31, 2017 8:04 pm

Happy Birthday/New Year, Steve.

I will most likely be in bed before the fireworks start.

I just plugged in my battery to my solar unit in my shed to keep it charged against this extreme cold. Won't be riding on frozen tundra type roads here in south-central PA for a while. Temps in teens forecast all week, and maybe longer. Kind of a bummer, and wish we had your climate zone. at least for a month or so. Will be looking for weather window usually above 30 degrees before I chance a ride. Can't risk black ice spots that remain in shady areas where Murphy's Law dictates the worst spots can reside in shady corners or down a curvy hill. ABS is not that good. But those vagaries are what makes PA interesting.

Meanwhile, Happy Riding! Enjoy!
Back to top Go down
Dale N.
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Dale N.

Number of posts : 1981
Registration date : 2014-02-13

New Year's Day Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Year's Day   New Year's Day I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 31, 2017 10:03 pm

Happy Birthday and New Year Steve and Mike.

I don't have any plans for tonight. I might have a couple of drinks here at home and listen to the scanner. Other than that not much other than waiting for spring to get here.

My plans for staying up went awry when I got tired and hit the sack at 9:30. I did however get woken up at 12:07am with what sounded like someone shooting off a gun about 6 times to my south. I guess they were shooting down at the river. Then a couple of minutes later to my north an explosion which sounded much louder than an M80. I didn't see any smoke or flames so I figure it was just fireworks.

Oh Well. I did get a nap in today so all is good.

Again, Happy New Year to you ALL.

Last edited by Dale N. on Mon Jan 01, 2018 4:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Old Limey
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
Old Limey

Number of posts : 921
Registration date : 2010-06-09

New Year's Day Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Year's Day   New Year's Day I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 01, 2018 4:43 am

In my part of the UK the weather is not too bad at the moment, yesterday I got out for a 60 ml ride, it rained a little but that is normal for us. I like to start the new year with a ride on new years day. So later today I will ride to the coast at Southport, a round trip of about 75 mls it seems fairly mild at 44f if it rains, my gear is water proof. Happy new year every one, safe riding in the coming year. Happy Birthday Steve.
Back to top Go down
Mike from NS
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
Mike from NS

Number of posts : 461
Registration date : 2013-09-12

New Year's Day Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Year's Day   New Year's Day I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 01, 2018 7:19 am

Happy Birthday Steve !  We have more than Silverwings in common!  Visiting Griffiths Observatory is on my bucket list. (I have a great interest in astronomy.)  But even more common is that today is also my birthday .... 65 for me !  Soon I'll have to start acting my age.  But I hear that won't be any fun at all.

No New Years celebration here ... just Birthday celebrations.  Always been great being able to count on a holiday for our birthdays. Right?

However a neighbor awakened us at midnight with about 10 minutes of loud and close rapid-fire fireworks.  Haven't been out yet to see if any embers landed on my car.

Too cold here, at -13°C for any scooter riding today .... even too cold for my traditional start to the ski season.

Happy New Year all!

Mike
Back to top Go down
cotetoi
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Number of posts : 755
Registration date : 2013-06-27

New Year's Day Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Year's Day   New Year's Day I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 01, 2018 8:03 am

Happy 62nd Birthday, Steve and 65th for Mike. And Happy New Year to all.
It has been extremely cold in the Maritimes, way too cold for December and now January. This morning it is -20C and -30C with windchill, cold enough to freeze the nuts off the brass monkey ! as the saying goes. One good thing is that the cold nights over the past 2-3 weeks have frozen the waterways solid, and the ice-fishing season should get off to a good start.
Not that I can indulge in this passion of mine; caught a head cold early and it is running its usual course, and now has settled in my chest. Sounds more like a trip to ER than the fishing shack. I am officially retired now, from long-term medical retirement at age 60, turned 65 Nov last year. It seems I am only 6 weeks older than you , Mike.
Have a great winter, it is only going away in 3 months.
Jay.
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

New Year's Day Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Year's Day   New Year's Day I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 01, 2018 9:31 am

Happy birthday guys. Happy New Year to all as well.

While I like to start the new year with a ride too (to exorcise the evil winter spirits), here in Philly it's 8° frigg'n degrees (that'd be -13° ROW) and I'm just not gonna ride. Maybe I'll just drink some spirits instead.

I think it was the Japanese poet Bashô who said,

Another year has passed
this day I've kept it from my parents
my hair is gray

Tim
Back to top Go down
Pastor Ron
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider

Number of posts : 400
Registration date : 2013-02-24

New Year's Day Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Year's Day   New Year's Day I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 01, 2018 2:20 pm

Happy Birthday to you both, and, Happy New year to all. My plans to stay at home and enjoy my wife's company was dashed to a freak ice event....hundreds of people were stranded for hours, I got home around 6am from 1:30pm the previous day. Oh well, The Lord kept me safe and warm all the way. May you all have a Blessed New Year.The
Back to top Go down
oldwingguy
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 1936
Registration date : 2016-01-29

New Year's Day Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Year's Day   New Year's Day I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 01, 2018 2:34 pm

Happy New Year all, 5 deg. now raising rapidly to 8 deg. Laughing the S'wing is covered in white waiting for a much warmer day. Ahh the white is a queen size bed sheet, nothing is kept outside here. The good if it's that is my old stomping grounds is butt deep in snow, about 3 inches here not enough to bother to plow the lane.
Back to top Go down
Mech 1 twa
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Mech 1 twa

Number of posts : 1377
Registration date : 2016-01-02

New Year's Day Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Year's Day   New Year's Day I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 01, 2018 8:48 pm

Happy New Year.

Had a beers few last night watched the clock go to midnight.???

Mighty cold here in North East. At least its not snowing much. Knock on wood!!!!!
A lot of Winter still to go.
Back to top Go down
Easyrider
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Easyrider

Number of posts : 1012
Registration date : 2015-12-18

New Year's Day Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Year's Day   New Year's Day I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 14, 2018 12:34 am

Happy New Years to all members!  Sorry for being so late. Had to verify that I would not get in trouble for filming at night.
A video of our new Years celebration.

https://youtu.be/h8TEVo-ZvoY
Back to top Go down
willajabir
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 161
Registration date : 2012-08-21

New Year's Day Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Year's Day   New Year's Day I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 14, 2018 7:13 pm

Easyrider wrote:
Happy New Years to all members!  Sorry for being so late. Had to verify that I would not get in trouble for filming at night.

https://youtu.be/h8TEVo-ZvoY

Me likey!!!!
Back to top Go down
"Hi Yo"
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
New Year's Day 510-80

Number of posts : 2940
Registration date : 2010-02-17

New Year's Day Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Year's Day   New Year's Day I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 16, 2018 2:38 pm

[quote="Easyrider"]Happy New Years to all members!  Sorry for being so late. Had to verify that I would not get in trouble for filming at night.

Is that what caused the false alert?   Funny, if it's not you affected.     Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
Easyrider
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Easyrider

Number of posts : 1012
Registration date : 2015-12-18

New Year's Day Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Year's Day   New Year's Day I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 17, 2018 12:08 am

I did receive the alert on my cell phone. Woke my wife up. She thought that I had called her cell phone to wake her up. There was nothing we could do if it was a nuclear missile. I live within sight of Pearl Harbor and Hickam Air Force Base. As I told my daughters.. We would be burnt BBQ in 10 seconds.

We made the best of the situation. Wife cooked me a BIG breakfast. Two eggs, ham, toast, rice, and coffee. We ate our last meal upstairs watching for the missile trail.

We took away positives. We learned that we needed survival items. We usually prepare for hurricanes and tsunamis in June then consume the items in November. Went to Home Depot and got storage containers to store items for one year. We would consume and replace the items yearly

The panic you see in the news was nothing what others experinced. Drivers on our highways were driving 80-100MPH trying to get off of the highways and seek shelter, or to get to their children.

I get to appreciate life a lot more. Especially the woman who is my best friend and wife.

There was a lot more people at Sunday church service.
Back to top Go down
SteveSilverWing
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
SteveSilverWing

Number of posts : 133
Registration date : 2015-04-17

New Year's Day Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Year's Day   New Year's Day I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 17, 2018 11:10 am

Easyrider wrote:
I did receive the alert on my cell phone. Woke my wife up. She thought that I had called her cell phone to wake her up. There was nothing we could do if it was a nuclear missile. I live within sight of Pearl Harbor and Hickam Air Force Base. As I told my daughters.. We would be burnt BBQ in 10 seconds.

We made the best of the situation. Wife cooked me a BIG breakfast. Two eggs, ham, toast, rice, and coffee. We ate our last meal upstairs watching for the missile trail.

We took away positives. We learned that we needed survival items. We usually prepare for hurricanes and tsunamis in June then consume the items in November. Went to Home Depot and got storage containers to store items for one year. We would consume and replace the items yearly

The panic you see in the news was nothing what others experinced. Drivers on our highways were driving 80-100MPH trying to get off of the highways and seek shelter, or to get to their children.

I get to appreciate life a lot more. Especially the woman who is my best friend and wife.

There was a lot more people at Sunday church service.

Easyrider, your words describing how you and family handled the missile scare moved me in my spirit. To think that for 30 minutes or so, everyone had to scramble in fear of the ultimate disaster scenario sends shivers down my spine. Family is the epicenter of what matters in this life and knowing who loves you is all-important. Thanks for sharing your experience with us all -- makes me feel grateful to be alive.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

New Year's Day Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Year's Day   New Year's Day I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

New Year's Day
Page 1 of 1