Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

Welcome to the home for Honda SilverWing and everyone interested. This is a place to ask questions, share, and learn about the SilverWing and its dedicated riders. Please post an introduction when you join as a sign of Courtesy.

HomeCalendarGalleryFAQSearchRegisterLog in
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» The official long post of the overhaul and repaint of my 06 Silverwing
by Dale N. Yesterday at 23:32

» Wanted: Oil drain plug
by siataukreg Yesterday at 14:31

» Sad Day today
by Tn Traveler Yesterday at 07:16

» Recommended Tires
by Sidewinder Pilot Wed 13 Dec 2017, 23:39

» Trailer Hitch For SilverWing Scooter
by willajabir Wed 13 Dec 2017, 16:33

» Hard to find a career
by "Hi Yo" Tue 12 Dec 2017, 16:58

» A hillbilly goes hunting
by "Hi Yo" Tue 12 Dec 2017, 16:51

» Silver Wing Colors
by Mike from NS Tue 12 Dec 2017, 07:28

» Oil Leak at Oil Filter?
by oldwingguy Sun 10 Dec 2017, 16:06

» very low mileage engine and trans
by siataukreg Tue 05 Dec 2017, 18:04

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Share | 

Hard to find a career

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2099
Registration date : 2009-07-17

PostSubject: Hard to find a career   Sat 02 Dec 2017, 00:44

1. My first job was working in an Orange Juice factory, but I got canned. Couldn't concentrate.
2. Then I worked in the woods as a Lumberjack, but just couldn't hack it, so they gave me the axe.
3. After that, I tried being a Tailor, but wasn't suited for it -- mainly because it was a sew-sew job.
4. Next, I tried working in a Muffler Factory, but that was too exhausting.
5. Then, tried being a Chef - figured it would add a little spice to my life, but just didn't have the thyme.
6. Next, I attempted being a Deli Worker, but any way I sliced it.... couldn't cut the mustard.
7. My best job was a Musician, but eventually found I wasn't noteworthy.
8. I studied a long time to become a Doctor, but didn't have any patience.
9. Next, was a job in a Shoe Factory, tried hard but just didn't fit in.
10. I became a Professional Fisherman, but discovered I couldn't live on my net income.
11. Managed to get a good job working for a Pool Maintenance Company, but the work was just too draining.
12. So then I got a job in a Workout Center, but they said I wasn't fit for the job..
13. After many years of trying to find steady work, I finally got a job as a Historian - until I realized there was no future in it.
14. My next job was working in Starbucks, but had to quit because it was the same old grind.
15. I tried out for a job at the circus as a 'human cannonball'. That didn't work out either, seems I wasn't the right caliber.

16. SO, I TRIED RETIREMENT AND I FOUND I'M PERFECT FOR THE JOB!
Back to top Go down
Dale N.
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Number of posts : 718
Registration date : 2014-02-13

PostSubject: Re: Hard to find a career   Sat 02 Dec 2017, 04:07

I'm a number 16 also. And it's all its cracked up to be.
Back to top Go down
Mech 1 twa
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 103
Registration date : 2016-01-02

PostSubject: Re: Hard to find a career   Sat 02 Dec 2017, 19:17

Very funny.
Garbage collector but that job stunk.
Tool sharpener, I wasn't the sharpest tool in the shed.
Pilot to many ups and downs.
Deep sea diver just couldn't fathom it
Back to top Go down
cotetoi
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider

Number of posts : 492
Registration date : 2013-06-27

PostSubject: Re: Hard to find a career   Sun 03 Dec 2017, 08:29

chickendance
Back to top Go down
Jolly Bodger
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 78
Registration date : 2016-10-05

PostSubject: Re: Hard to find a career   Sun 03 Dec 2017, 11:26

Funeral Director - a dead end job
Back to top Go down
SteveSilverWing
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 98
Registration date : 2015-04-17

PostSubject: Re: Hard to find a career   Sun 03 Dec 2017, 14:31

Loved all of these, but sadly, even number 16, which I am now a forced part of, isn't quite working out. Now that I'm retired, I'm finding that my sense of purpose has vanished and feel like I had been pushed out of the workforce simply because of my age (62) and lack of up-to-date skills. Didn't realize just how important it was to be a part of the working force and economy. The areas I had been specialized in have now been replaced by computers and robotics. Anyone else here feel the same way? I'd be curious to hear your input.

Thanks for the good laugh! Love riding my Silver Wing because it helps to keep me focused on the good stuff in life.

Steve
Back to top Go down
Winger61
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider

Number of posts : 422
Registration date : 2010-10-15

PostSubject: Re: Hard to find a career   Sun 03 Dec 2017, 14:43

Jolly Bodger wrote:
Funeral Director - a dead end job
Can't be that bad, people are dying to give him work! Laughing
Back to top Go down
Mech 1 twa
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 103
Registration date : 2016-01-02

PostSubject: Re: Hard to find a career   Sun 03 Dec 2017, 19:48

Though of a few more.

Coal miner just didn't dig it.
Arborist couldn't clime the latter no room at the top.
Proctologist toooo many A-holes.
Back to top Go down
oldwingguy
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Number of posts : 667
Registration date : 2016-01-29

PostSubject: Re: Hard to find a career   Mon 04 Dec 2017, 04:33

A tree trimmer, something I didn't want to out on a limb for.
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2768
Registration date : 2010-11-16

PostSubject: Re: Hard to find a career   Mon 04 Dec 2017, 04:43

A gynaecologist, but I didn't like looking up old friends.
Back to top Go down
oldwingguy
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Number of posts : 667
Registration date : 2016-01-29

PostSubject: Re: Hard to find a career   Mon 04 Dec 2017, 07:45

Now that I'm retired, I'm finding that my sense of purpose has vanished and feel like I had been pushed out of the workforce simply because of my age (62) and lack of up-to-date skills. Didn't realize just how important it was to be a part of the working force and economy. <<>> Have you thought of volunteering somewhere or starting your own business sideline?  While I wasn't laid off at 62 many of my fellow plant workers were, most just moved onto other jobs ( they are going begging here ) if you can FOG a mirror and pass a drug test you get hired.

Last edited by oldwingguy on Mon 04 Dec 2017, 15:14; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
"Hi Yo"
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 3028
Registration date : 2010-02-17

PostSubject: Re: Hard to find a career   Mon 04 Dec 2017, 13:41

oldwingguy wrote:
 if you can smoke a mirror and pass a drug test you get hired.

So that's why I wasn't hired. I had the qualifications backward. chickendance
Back to top Go down
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: Hard to find a career   Sun 10 Dec 2017, 01:31

Several of my friends and I experienced a sense of loss after retiring. I solved that by taking a lower paid job completely different from my field. I drove a school bus for five years in Juneau. I took it as a challenge and found out that I actually enjoyed it. I treated the kids like my own, sort of a first sergeant type. Never had any real problem with the kids. My secretary from my original job told me I couldn't handle the job with my disposition. Wrong. I made just a tiny fraction of my original job but had a good time even with the deep snow driving on chains all winter. I drove tour buses in the summer and had a great time, made darn good tips too. Hard to be a sit-down comedian with the audience behind you but I could do it. Pretty well too.
A lot of us tend to rate ourselves by the amount of money we make. Once you are retired and making just a bit of what you used to get it's easy to become a bit depressed. It takes a while to get used to the change. Sometimes a second part time job will help. Perhaps one needs to take up a hobby of something completely different.
The main thing is to expect the changes in your life and realize one's value isn't in what you bring home in salary. If you can live on your retirement all the better, find a volunteer job.
Retirement is a BIG change in one's life. It took me awhile, but now that I've been fully retired for about fifteen years, no longer work anywhere for money now, I'm appreciating this part of my life. Don't give up, hang in there and it will work out well.
Back to top Go down
SteveSilverWing
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Hard to find a career   Sun 10 Dec 2017, 14:35

exavid wrote:
Several of my friends and I experienced a sense of loss after retiring. I solved that by taking a lower paid job completely different from my field. I drove a school bus for five years in Juneau. I took it as a challenge and found out that I actually enjoyed it. I treated the kids like my own, sort of a first sergeant type. Never had any real problem with the kids. My secretary from my original job told me I couldn't handle the job with my disposition. Wrong. I made just a tiny fraction of my original job but had a good time even with the deep snow driving on chains all winter. I drove tour buses in the summer and had a great time, made darn good tips too. Hard to be a sit-down comedian with the audience behind you but I could do it. Pretty well too.
A lot of us tend to rate ourselves by the amount of money we make. Once you are retired and making just a bit of what you used to get it's easy to become a bit depressed. It takes a while to get used to the change. Sometimes a second part time job will help. Perhaps one needs to take up a hobby of something completely different.
The main thing is to expect the changes in your life and realize one's value isn't in what you bring home in salary. If you can live on your retirement all the better, find a volunteer job.
Retirement is a BIG change in one's life. It took me awhile, but now that I've been fully retired for about fifteen years, no longer work anywhere for money now, I'm appreciating this part of my life. Don't give up, hang in there and it will work out well.

Hi Exavid,
Your words of sage advice are well taken and I very much appreciate your having taken the time to share your own experience with retirement. To be honest, I was forced out of the job market for reasons of age and not being college-trained or skilled in one of today's many high-tech jobs.
It has been roughly one year since I have retired and have considered many options to keep myself busy besides painting my home and general home improvement tasks. I bought a Kindle Paperwhite book reader and have begun reading, really, for the first time in my life. I will seek out part-time employment in the new year but wonder what's out there for me. I once tried telemarketing which almost killed me, spiritually speaking. Riding a school bus is certainly an option; being a tour guide for the local city in which I live would be another.
I am certainly not going without any of life creature comforts but the sense of being a productive human being outside of my home is lacking. Have I tended to define my sense of self-worth by how much I had earned in the past; yes, certainly. Today is a more modest time for me, and if it wasn't for my life's partner, things would be quite rough. Fortunately, I am doing quite fine but need some type of purpose to get myself out of bed in the morning.
Thanks again for taking the time to share!
Steve
Back to top Go down
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: Hard to find a career   Sun 10 Dec 2017, 15:08

It was bad for me too, I had to retire at 50 with 30 years in the FAA. Job eliminated. It actually turned out to be a blessing, I worked at lower level jobs, driving a school bus for five years. Low pay but a long lunch bfreak, I also drove tour buses in Juneau. We moved south to help out my aging parents and I took up driving OTR charter buses (not Grayhound). A whole new type of work to me and I met a lot of interesting people. Now at 75 my wife and I have the house paid off and have enough to bet by on, she is a hospice volunteer. and I ride my motorcycle, compete at precision target shooting at my gun club and stay plenty busy and help out the neighbors with repairs and have several that depend on me to keep them straight with their computers.
It will work out for you, try to find something completely different as a job. Having to learn something totally new will give you much to think about and keep your mind busy.

Most of all it's not you, a lot of us have those feelings when we retire. I know I did and so did most of my friends when they got out of the rat race.
Back to top Go down
SteveSilverWing
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Hard to find a career   Mon 11 Dec 2017, 10:31

Thanks to everyone for your honesty and condor on such a sensitivity issue as retirement -- especially when it was not a choice to retire. Things in this world today move at such a swift pace that it is sometimes disorienting. The ethics of yesterday when most of us were brought up have changed significantly. Courtesy and manners are, for the most part, let go by the wayside. In Los Angeles, it's a case of, "if you can get away with it, then it must be okay," which I find hard to take. But, when all is said and done, we/I most go on and be happy and grateful for the wondrous things that I do have in my life.
All this to say that I guess my medication is kicking in and for this I am also grateful!!!
chickendance
Back to top Go down
Bcook01
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 20
Registration date : 2015-11-05

PostSubject: 62 is not old   Tue 12 Dec 2017, 07:53

Steve

62 is young. There is no such thing as retirement,however, there is a period in life in which reassesment is needed. You need to concentrate on generating dopamine...... By that i mean find things that make you feel good or do things that you either wanted to do or yet to do..(bucket list). Boredom and anxiety is destructive.

You do reach a point where you reach a self inflicted brick wall and overcoming is a matter of obtaining help from friends and family and community to overcome this hurdle. We all reach it at some point...
It is seldom overcome with drugs.

62 is not old, 62 is not old, 62 is not old.... Repeat after me, 62 is not old...

Now go have a bike ride and meet new friends. Socialize! And generate some dopamine!

You are not alone.

Bob

Back to top Go down
cotetoi
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider

Number of posts : 492
Registration date : 2013-06-27

PostSubject: Re: Hard to find a career   Tue 12 Dec 2017, 08:38

The World is in constant flux. Manners are taken for granted, and customs you grew up with mean nothing to the younger generation. It's an alien world out there. But, retired or not, by choice or under duress we all have these phases to go through. I was retired for medical reasons at 56. I found my passion at 57. Find yours and run with it !!!!!
Jay.
Back to top Go down
"Hi Yo"
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 3028
Registration date : 2010-02-17

PostSubject: Re: Hard to find a career   Tue 12 Dec 2017, 16:58

cotetoi wrote:
The World is in constant flux. Manners are taken for granted, and customs you grew up with mean nothing to the younger generation.
Jay.

That sounds like something my grandpa said and probably his grandpa too! Laughing
Back to top Go down

Hard to find a career
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1