Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Hi there guys
Looking for fat guy shock absorbers I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Today at 7:16 pm

» Rear shock longevity
Looking for fat guy shock absorbers I_icon_minitimeby Erdoc48 Today at 4:07 pm

» Final Drive Noise banished
Looking for fat guy shock absorbers I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Today at 2:14 pm

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
Looking for fat guy shock absorbers I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Yesterday at 2:40 pm

» What did you do to your SW today.
Looking for fat guy shock absorbers I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Tue Apr 16, 2024 11:26 pm

» YSS rear shocks for sale
Looking for fat guy shock absorbers I_icon_minitimeby StuartBrown Tue Apr 16, 2024 8:36 pm

» New to Me Swing
Looking for fat guy shock absorbers I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Tue Apr 16, 2024 5:06 am

» SOLD 2004 Honda Silver Wing for sale, tastefully modded SOLD
Looking for fat guy shock absorbers I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Sun Apr 14, 2024 9:29 pm

» peace, love and life
Looking for fat guy shock absorbers I_icon_minitimeby cello33 Sat Apr 13, 2024 1:35 am

» Fork specs, please help before 9/4/2024
Looking for fat guy shock absorbers I_icon_minitimeby Anders L Thu Apr 11, 2024 4:58 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Looking for fat guy shock absorbers

Go down 
+5
Scootypuff Snr
Jolly Bodger
Cosmic_Jumper
john grinsel
Bravefruitcake
9 posters
AuthorMessage
Bravefruitcake
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 19
Registration date : 2017-10-19

Looking for fat guy shock absorbers Empty
PostSubject: Looking for fat guy shock absorbers   Looking for fat guy shock absorbers I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 28, 2017 1:58 am

Evening everyone, so I now have my swing and am loving it,

But... I think I have a small problem, I regularly travel with pillions which isn’t a problem, the problem is, I’m fat... and the swing doesn’t like it 2 up with 1 of them being me lol, I’m 196kg I’m my own leaving around 70kg for the pillion before the bike is overloaded.

So my question is, does anyone know of any decent higher rated rear shocks for it? Or maybe a decent manufacturer I can go to that will make shocks rated for my weight?

Money isn’t an issue as I seem to have to do it for all my bikes, (maybe I should try and lose a few lbs? Lol)

So if anyone can help, would be awesome tah Smile
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3294
Registration date : 2009-08-18

PostSubject: Re: Looking for fat guy shock absorbers   Looking for fat guy shock absorbers I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 28, 2017 3:17 am

First look at total weight capacity of SilverWing in owner's manual. Second, look at age of bike and miles.

Bike old, maybe fresh set of stock shocks, with fresh springs, would work---set on hardest position should work.

Back to top Go down
Bravefruitcake
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 19
Registration date : 2017-10-19

PostSubject: Re: Looking for fat guy shock absorbers   Looking for fat guy shock absorbers I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 28, 2017 3:23 am

Sorry, got my numbers mixed up haha, I’m 294 lbs (21 stone) and the manual says the limit is 370lbs (or there abouts)

It is an old 02 with 66k on the clock so I shall have a look at new shocks for it, would the max setting be able to take the 60 lbs over capacity that me and my partner make up do you recon? Only asking as don’t want to end up beating the poor thing up over every bump we go over haha.

But for now I will definitely check out some new shocks for it, I have found that having still sell them so thinking they maybe suitable for purpose Smile any experience with them?
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-13

PostSubject: Re: Looking for fat guy shock absorbers   Looking for fat guy shock absorbers I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 28, 2017 6:26 am

Since you are in the EU you might try to locate Fournales air shocks. They don't seem to be available here in the US and/or are very expensive. They are made in France. So perhaps that will be a good excuse for a weekend journey.

Tim
Back to top Go down
Jolly Bodger
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 105
Registration date : 2016-10-06

PostSubject: Re: Looking for fat guy shock absorbers   Looking for fat guy shock absorbers I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 28, 2017 7:42 am

Hagon are based in Essex and are reasonably priced. I'm also 'big' and was considering changing the rear shocks, but I only ever ride solo and the original shocks seem to cope ok.

JB
Back to top Go down
Scootypuff Snr
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Scootypuff Snr

Number of posts : 232
Registration date : 2017-04-21

PostSubject: Re: Looking for fat guy shock absorbers   Looking for fat guy shock absorbers I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 28, 2017 10:59 am

Visit Hagon shocks direct and speak to the guys making them.
I've had shocks and custom wheels made to order and service is exemplary
Back to top Go down
The Bern
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
The Bern

Number of posts : 897
Registration date : 2014-11-20

PostSubject: Re: Looking for fat guy shock absorbers   Looking for fat guy shock absorbers I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 28, 2017 11:27 am

Fournales UK distributor is ....

http://www.mawsolutions.com/html/fournales_shock_absorbers.html

But as said by others have a word with Hagon's first about 'custom' built springs bud, 'standard' Hagon's for the Silverwing can be got from .....

http://www.wemoto.com/bikes/honda/fjs_600_silverwing_scooter_1/01/picture/rear_hagon_scooter_shocks/
Back to top Go down
Flyingpanman
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Flyingpanman

Number of posts : 237
Registration date : 2016-06-03

PostSubject: Re: Looking for fat guy shock absorbers   Looking for fat guy shock absorbers I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 28, 2017 11:46 am

There are also YSS shocks available. I might try a pair of these myself but other fish to fry at present.

eBay item
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3294
Registration date : 2009-08-18

PostSubject: Re: Looking for fat guy shock absorbers   Looking for fat guy shock absorbers I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 28, 2017 1:38 pm

When overloading bike look at weight capacity of the tires, too.
Back to top Go down
steve_h80
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Number of posts : 998
Registration date : 2016-05-16

PostSubject: Re: Looking for fat guy shock absorbers   Looking for fat guy shock absorbers I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 28, 2017 7:10 pm

Hagon are the people, I put them on mine and they are perfect for us 2 up (about 200kg before luggage). Contact them via their website.
The stated maximum load of the silverwing is 170kg (375lb in old money) so unless you've got a very lightweight pillion you will be overloading everything else (frame, tyres, brakes etc).
I think the salad is calling :-)
Back to top Go down
GHM-PM
Site Admin
GHM-PM

Number of posts : 2553
Registration date : 2012-05-18

PostSubject: Re: Looking for fat guy shock absorbers   Looking for fat guy shock absorbers I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 31, 2017 2:38 pm

I run 240-250 lbs. ahem. But that said I don't run with a passenger (my wife is a bit large also). Would put the SWing way over the 375 limit. For myself I run stock shocks on setting 4 and they work well, for two-up the Goldwing takes over... Yes a diet is in order but at my age probably not going to happen!!!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Looking for fat guy shock absorbers   Looking for fat guy shock absorbers I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Looking for fat guy shock absorbers
Page 1 of 1