Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» drive belts
Commuting on a Maxi Scooter article I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Yesterday at 5:43 pm

» New member from Europe
Commuting on a Maxi Scooter article I_icon_minitimeby alex_at Yesterday at 3:55 pm

» New Silverwing owner, thoughts and questions
Commuting on a Maxi Scooter article I_icon_minitimeby alex_at Yesterday at 3:54 pm

» Will my 2002 Silverwing 600 fit in the bed of my F150 Ford with Tailgat up or down?
Commuting on a Maxi Scooter article I_icon_minitimeby tedebr Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:56 pm

» Is this a good price for a Silverwing 2006
Commuting on a Maxi Scooter article I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:19 pm

» What were they thinking?
Commuting on a Maxi Scooter article I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:57 am

» Hello everyone
Commuting on a Maxi Scooter article I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:54 am

» Sidelight Bulbs
Commuting on a Maxi Scooter article I_icon_minitimeby Green7 Mon Mar 25, 2024 5:25 pm

» Voyager trike kit forsale
Commuting on a Maxi Scooter article I_icon_minitimeby Mkdelay12@gmail.com Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:41 pm

» tiny oil leak
Commuting on a Maxi Scooter article I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Sun Mar 24, 2024 1:41 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Commuting on a Maxi Scooter article

Go down 
+4
willajabir
oldwingguy
john grinsel
ScottO
8 posters
AuthorMessage
ScottO
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
ScottO

Number of posts : 49
Registration date : 2013-10-19

Commuting on a Maxi Scooter article Empty
PostSubject: Commuting on a Maxi Scooter article   Commuting on a Maxi Scooter article I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 11, 2017 6:17 pm

http://www.soundrider.com/current/1710/becoming_a_motorcycle_commuter.aspx

I just read this article about commuting on two wheels. Guess what, they actually are recommending using Maxi Scooters. Sure feels good to know our rides are be recognized for what a great commuter they make.
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3291
Registration date : 2009-08-18

PostSubject: Re: Commuting on a Maxi Scooter article   Commuting on a Maxi Scooter article I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 11, 2017 7:54 pm

two things not mentioned in article:

1. in Seattle horrible traffic---you cannot lane split....so you get there just as late as in car!

2. Costs of owning maxi-scooter if you rely on others (dealer) to do maint/repair/parts replace, the costs of owning maxi-scooter far exceeds of owning cheap new car-- Accent for example

I always used bike/scooter to get work (I worked until 71) but was lucky enough to have lived where lane splitting done (legal Japan/Italy not legal but done often in Germany) Costs never bothered me---getting there and home first positive point....plus getting to ride bike. Wore Aerostich one piece from the time they came out (earlly 80's)
Back to top Go down
oldwingguy
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 1936
Registration date : 2016-01-29

PostSubject: Re: Commuting on a Maxi Scooter article   Commuting on a Maxi Scooter article I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 11, 2017 8:05 pm

I can't think of a large city that I've been through that I could say gee I'd like to do THAT again. Heck even a smaller town like Chillicothe o-HI-o has traffic problems the more than likely cause is gee am I supposed to use turn signals and make smart lane changes.
Back to top Go down
willajabir
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 161
Registration date : 2012-08-21

PostSubject: Re: Commuting on a Maxi Scooter article   Commuting on a Maxi Scooter article I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 11, 2017 10:43 pm

While our big city doesn't have HOV & Hot lanes like bigger cities, I've toured/visited cities with them and single commuting on a bike and getting to use those lanes is great.
Saving on parking in some places I've been is great also. Even in NY, I could just park between the sidewalk and the apt building.
In some places, like my small town, the 2 wheelers park at the head of the parking lot in the yellow striped off places as long as it isn't handicap or fire hydrant. Also, bikes are allowed to share paid parking places in most places. I know it doesn't work in a few or where you have tickets on your windshield.
Most places the toll is cheaper on 2 wheels too.
I guess it just depends on the particular place of commuting if it is financially advantageous or not.
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4170
Registration date : 2010-11-16

PostSubject: Re: Commuting on a Maxi Scooter article   Commuting on a Maxi Scooter article I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 12, 2017 2:56 am

The way to go for city commuting is to fit your scooter with a waterproof apron, it covers the lower chest, legs and feet, and keeps your city slicker pants, and shoes clean and dry. In dry weather the apron can be tied back out of the way, or pulled forward to cover your seat to keep it dry from rain or frost when it's parked outside.

The apron is usually supplemented by a set of waterproof handlebar mitts, so all commuter guy needs is a waterproof jacket, a top box to put his suit jacket in, light gloves, and usually an open face helmet. That's the way it's done over in countries like France and Italy where cities are full of scooters, in Paris it's three wheeled scooters like the Piaggio MP3 that rule in the cut and thrust of city traffic.

You could kit yourself out with a scooter apron, top box, handlebar muffs, and summer and winter bike jackets for a fraction of the cost of those overpriced Aerostich suits the bike journo recommends.

I bought an two-piece Aerostich Roadcrafter at great expense some 25 years ago, impressed by this easy on, easy off option Apart from being cool looking and very rare in the UK, (in fact they still are) it really wasn't very good.

Being unlined it neither particularly warm or windproof, and the soft armour in the suit, and the back protector I paid extra for were a foam like inferior version of modern D30 armour. After a couple of years I was wearing the jacket more than the full suit. Quality wise, I had to send the suit back to Duluth to have the jacket and pants connecting zipper repaired. Then the Velcro on the jacket pockets started to come away and I had to sort that out.

For an expensive outfit that's the uniform of the high mileage Iron Butt types and beloved by American bike journos, it certainly didn't live up to it's reputation and my expectations.
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3291
Registration date : 2009-08-18

PostSubject: Re: Commuting on a Maxi Scooter article   Commuting on a Maxi Scooter article I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 12, 2017 8:44 am

Comments on Aerostich suits---I have worn out 2 or3 one piece, one 2 piece, 2 Darien Jackets and two pair of Darien Pants. Andy long time friend of mine

Started out with them in the early 80's

Suit life to me about 100,000 miles. Early one piece not 100% waterproof, Fit in Darien not perfect, Velcro sucks, one piece not convenient when gets warm on trip. Where do you put it?

Good/great points---one piece about only way to get to work, dry/comfortable, easy get in or out.

Very good point---I had friend sell all worn out stuff on EBAY, bringing good money from people who wanted to look like they rode a lot, including a Langlitz Jacket and one
pair of Aerostich boots.

I like lining in one piece, don't care so much for unlined Darien and uncomfortable pads. Use feather liners to keep warm.

But what else is there?? I like/liked Barbour Wax Cotton----but the stink/grease/dirty feeling for daily rides/ but can stay dry for more than 8 hours in really bad rain. Ok on multi day rides, where your get dirty anyway.

New type Nylon stuff---really makes you sweat when it is hot.

I have commuted in Tokyo/Stuttgart/Seoul among other places--When in Tacoma, I lived in barracks, walked to work--Harley Sidecar outfit resting in the wet parking lot.

Need to buy new riding stuff this year....but what is there that really works? Leather great until it rains, does not insulate much from cold. Tried Mesh in past=sucks! Still thinking about trip to James Bay in Quebec before snow flies...may wear leather jacket, put Rain jacket over when wet or cold, wear Darien pants with long underwear under but no jeans, probably Kombat Lite boots and carry rubber boots in case real wet/cold.

Motorcycle clothing to be comfortable is always problem if you ride everyday and have to get to work.
Back to top Go down
Bash On!
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 252
Registration date : 2015-08-24

PostSubject: Re: Commuting on a Maxi Scooter article   Commuting on a Maxi Scooter article I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 12, 2017 11:01 am

I commute every week or so on my SW--prefer a bicycle for the exercise.  I have a full Aerostich Roadcrafter suit but have only worn it twice.  It's too darn hot here in Texas.  Plus, as my commute is only about 8 minutes, it almost seems like it takes longer to put on/take off the suit than to get to work!  Also have the Combat Lite boots but they take too long to lace up and are clunky to wear so I use my old Harley slip-on engineer boots instead.

End up using a mesh jacket 7+ months a year and an Aerostich Darien Light jacket (and rarely, AD-1 pants) when it gets a little colder.  

If it's really cold (rare here) I take the car with heated seats.

John--Next time you talk with Andy, tell him I'd love to buy an Aerostich-quality mesh jacket!
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4170
Registration date : 2010-11-16

PostSubject: Re: Commuting on a Maxi Scooter article   Commuting on a Maxi Scooter article I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 12, 2017 1:01 pm

I've bought a lot of stuff from Aerostich in the past, I'd say the best item was the Chase Harper Europa expandable tank bag. It was far too large for the MZ's and BMW's I rode back then, but a couple of years later I converted into tunnel bag that that was a perfect fit for my Honda CN 250 Helix. Unfortunately it won't fit on any of the maxi scooters I've owned since. Sad

Bash On!, You want a quality mesh riding jacket?  I'd recommend the Klim Induction jacket. It's probably the best mesh jacket available at the moment.
Back to top Go down
Bash On!
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 252
Registration date : 2015-08-24

PostSubject: Re: Commuting on a Maxi Scooter article   Commuting on a Maxi Scooter article I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 12, 2017 2:03 pm

Thanks, Meldrew.  I'll put the Klim on the list to check out.  Winter will be a good time to look for a mesh jacket at a discount, methinks.
Back to top Go down
Modernman1953
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 379
Registration date : 2016-06-01

PostSubject: Re: Commuting on a Maxi Scooter article   Commuting on a Maxi Scooter article I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 13, 2017 2:17 pm

john grinsel wrote:
two things not mentioned in article:

1. in Seattle horrible traffic---you cannot lane split....so you get there just as late as in car!

2.  Costs of owning maxi-scooter if you rely on others (dealer) to do maint/repair/parts replace, the costs of owning maxi-scooter far exceeds of owning cheap new car-- Accent for example

I always used bike/scooter to get work (I worked until 71) but was lucky enough to have lived where lane splitting done (legal Japan/Italy not legal but done often in Germany) Costs never bothered me---getting there and home first positive point....plus getting to ride bike. Wore Aerostich one piece from the time they came out (earlly 80's)

There are plenty of advantages using a motorcycle / scooter for commuting in Seattle.

1. A motorcycle is allowed on the HOV lanes, which will get you to work long before the cars with single occupants in them.

2. Motorcycles are loaded first on Washington State Ferries, regardless what time or order you got to the ferry terminal, you are directed to the front of the line.

3. Motorcycles are charged less on ferries as well. 1/2 the cost of a vehicle.

4. Motorcycles are allowed to share parking spots in parking garages. Parking costs are extremely high in Seattle. Also, there are plenty of places for "free parking" for scooters and motorcycles in the city and around the docks.

5. Motorcycles and scooters do not have a mandatory liability insurance in Washington State.

6. Seattle has a mild climate and I know many people who only have a motorcycle for commuting to work. They don't own a car. In extreme in-climate weather, they take Metro.

Back to top Go down
HORNBLOWER
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 171
Registration date : 2013-10-08

PostSubject: Re: Commuting on a Maxi Scooter article   Commuting on a Maxi Scooter article I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 14, 2017 3:51 am

I agree with Meldrew re the aprons. I bought one from Tocano Urbano who are an Italian style scooter company two years ago. I had seen some in London but I hadn't seen one in Birmingham before and I must admit I got some strange looks at first. I often went to the city centre to pick up my partner and parked where the delivery scooter riders parked the first couple of times they looked but after a week of rain they were all coming over to ask about them. I also had a pair of their stylish muffs too and within a couple of weeks most of them had them. I need to look smart in my teaching work between schools so wear a smart scooter jacket and normal shoes and trousers. They are well worth checking out!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Commuting on a Maxi Scooter article   Commuting on a Maxi Scooter article I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Commuting on a Maxi Scooter article
Page 1 of 1