Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

Welcome to the home for Honda SilverWing and everyone interested. This is a place to ask questions, share, and learn about the SilverWing and its dedicated riders. Please post an introduction when you join as a sign of Courtesy.
 
HomeCalendarGalleryFAQSearchRegisterLog in
Search
 
 

Display results as :
 
Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Last SilverWing Ride
by oldwingguy Today at 08:36

» Air Shocks
by john grinsel Today at 07:38

» Brake lever modification
by ChrisPsw Today at 05:07

» New Honda three wheeler
by cliffyk Today at 04:36

» scottish weather
by Old Limey Today at 04:04

» Reply to Post is lost
by Cosmic_Jumper Yesterday at 23:16

» Pin Stripes
by Bairdb Yesterday at 03:44

» I taught the wife something today.
by GHM-PM Mon 16 Oct 2017, 08:36

» Fitting Side Wind Deflectors
by siataukreg Sun 15 Oct 2017, 17:58

» ram sat nav mount for sale.
by shendy40 Sat 14 Oct 2017, 10:10

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 Profile
 FAQ
 Search
free forum
 
Share | 
 

 Mirror relocation to fairing

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
willajabir
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
avatar

Number of posts : 26
Location : Birmingham, AL
Points : 1915
Registration date : 2012-08-21

PostSubject: Mirror relocation to fairing   Fri 06 Oct 2017, 18:53

Is anyone aware of mirrors being relocated to the fairing for the SW?
I've only read of extensions or replacing the mirrors.

Thanks.
Back to top Go down
Dale N.
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
avatar

Number of posts : 678
Age : 71
Location : Princeton, MN
Points : 2081
Registration date : 2014-02-13

PostSubject: Re: Mirror relocation to fairing   Fri 06 Oct 2017, 22:57

I haven't heard about doing that Larry but these work real nice. I have them on my SWing.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008TVBLXM?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00

Although the link says the are currently unavailable I'm sure you'll be able to find them elsewhere.
Back to top Go down
dspevack
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
avatar

Number of posts : 1987
Age : 52
Location : Miami, FL
Points : 5598
Registration date : 2008-12-27

PostSubject: Re: Mirror relocation to fairing   Sat 07 Oct 2017, 08:06

There was someone who had done that back when the Silverwing first came out, around 2003.

They didn't bolt directly against the bike to look like they were part of the faring, but had short arms to bring them out about 3-4 inches.  I believe they were Dennis Kirk Mirrors he had sourced from the JC Whitney catalog.  

Before you consider doing something like that, have someone hold a mirror in the place that you want it to be and sit on the bike and check visibility. You might find that your arms or shoulders are in the way.  Some bikes just don't lend themselves to visibility when attached that way.

I did see one silverwing where the owner had attached stickon mirrors to the bottom of the actual mirror, effectively increasing the size of the mirror and showing the blind spot.  

Another thing you can do is to get an adaptor (if you can't find one, have it made by a machine shop) to go from the mirror mount thread Honda uses, to the thread Harley uses.  Once you've done that, you have your pick of any mirror made for Harley, and that widens your selection a lot.

The majority of the Silverwingers that change their mirrors either order the mirrors for the Honda Reflex, which are longer stemmed and stick out farther, or the extension adapters you will find on the board (Honda brand or aftermarket) or do both.
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
avatar

Number of posts : 2238
Points : 5636
Registration date : 2009-08-18

PostSubject: Re: Mirror relocation to fairing   Sat 07 Oct 2017, 08:25

first of all the plastic that the mirror would be screwed to cannot support the weight/stress/vibration of mirrors at speed.

If problem is you cannot see to rear---simple and cheap solution....and not extension is early ('69-70) Honda CB750 mirrors available from Dennis Kirk among others---they are not expensive, simple, and work. I have a set that have been used on various bikes...and they last a long time. Mine have been to Alaska twice and as far east as Nova Scotia---they work!
















Back to top Go down
Dale N.
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
avatar

Number of posts : 678
Age : 71
Location : Princeton, MN
Points : 2081
Registration date : 2014-02-13

PostSubject: Re: Mirror relocation to fairing   Sat 07 Oct 2017, 23:42

Back to top Go down
sandancroy5
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
avatar

Number of posts : 29
Location : scotland
Points : 1160
Registration date : 2014-09-27

PostSubject: Re: Mirror relocation to fairing   Sun 08 Oct 2017, 15:28

Hi had the extensions and that helped a bit but replaced the mirrors to Burgman style and what a difference. Great views and vibration free.
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
avatar

Number of posts : 2728
Location : York, North Yorkshire, England UK
Points : 5313
Registration date : 2010-11-16

PostSubject: Re: Mirror relocation to fairing   Sun 08 Oct 2017, 16:27

The OE mirrors are too short, OE mirrors fitted to mirror extenders are better, but I found they come loose on the stems when brushed against or adjusted. Using thread lock helped  but they still occasionally loosened to the point it became annoying.

So a few months I junked the OE mirrors completely, I'm still using the extenders simply because I need mirror stem clearance for my Airflow screen.

I now have a set of Magazi mirrors I bought online from Germany. The main differences from the OE ones are, the arms are angle adjustable from the 'elbow' of the mirror stem, and the mirrors themselves are sleeker in design and take a lot more effort to adjust. After a dab of thread lock on all the bolts, the mirrors are rock solid.
Back to top Go down
willajabir
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
avatar

Number of posts : 26
Location : Birmingham, AL
Points : 1915
Registration date : 2012-08-21

PostSubject: Re: Mirror relocation to fairing   Sun 08 Oct 2017, 17:45

Thanks for the replies. I did do a search first and have seen most of these suggestions. I was also concerned about the stress on the fairing if mounted there.
So, had to ask if anyone had done it and I missed it in the search. Personal preference(meaning no logical reason) against the extenders,
so looks like the longer stalked mirrors is going to be my most likely solution.

dspevack wrote:

Another thing you can do is to get an adaptor (if you can't find one, have it made by a machine shop) to go from the mirror mount thread Honda uses, to the thread Harley uses.  Once you've done that, you have your pick of any mirror made for Harley, and that widens your selection a lot.


Aaaaarrrrrrggggghhhhhh, blasphemy. I had to plug my babies ears to read that out loud. chickendance

Ok, JK. I remember seeing some of those adapters when researching mirrors for another bike and had forgotten about them.
I'll have to take a look at the selection of mirrors first to see about pursuing that course. Thanks for that additional option.
Back to top Go down
Dale N.
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
avatar

Number of posts : 678
Age : 71
Location : Princeton, MN
Points : 2081
Registration date : 2014-02-13

PostSubject: Re: Mirror relocation to fairing   Mon 09 Oct 2017, 12:41

willajabir, what ever you choose make sure the mirrors don't hit the wind screen when you turn the wheel to the right or left at max.
Back to top Go down
bikehiker
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
avatar

Number of posts : 42
Location : New Cumberland PA
Points : 91
Registration date : 2017-09-07

PostSubject: Re: Mirror relocation to fairing   Mon 09 Oct 2017, 16:18

willajabir wrote:
Thanks for the replies. I did do a search first and have seen most of these suggestions. I was also concerned about the stress on the fairing if mounted there.
So, had to ask if anyone had done it and I missed it in the search. Personal preference(meaning no logical reason) against the extenders,
so looks like the longer stalked mirrors is going to be my most likely solution.

dspevack wrote:

Another thing you can do is to get an adaptor (if you can't find one, have it made by a machine shop) to go from the mirror mount thread Honda uses, to the thread Harley uses.  Once you've done that, you have your pick of any mirror made for Harley, and that widens your selection a lot.


Aaaaarrrrrrggggghhhhhh, blasphemy. I had to plug my babies ears to read that out loud. chickendance

Ok, JK. I remember seeing some of those adapters when researching mirrors for another bike and had forgotten about them.
I'll have to take a look at the selection of mirrors first to see about pursuing that course. Thanks for that additional option.

Larry, I'm glad that it seems you are not going the "relocation-to-fairing" route. Just before I got my current Swing, I traded in a nice BMW F800 ST. Wonderful bike, but one of its issues is that the mirrors are further forward and ATTACHED TO THE FAIRING. What difference did this make? You can't move the mirrors with the handlebars. When checking traffic behind you at a yield or stop sign, the DIFFERENCE is that when stopped, you can't move the mirror with the handlebars because the mirrors are stuck to the fairing, and unless you pick up the whole bike, you can't move the mirrors to adjust to SEE the traffic behind you. You gotta be there to really experience this limitation. That was the first thing I noticed when I got the BMW after previously having a "handlebar mirror" bike. When I got the Swing, I returned to a handlebar mirror bike and immediately was so much more comfortable seeing behind, and also, because the mirrors are so much closer to my body on the Swing, I can see so much more in the mirror window behind me. Those BMW F800 ST owners on their forum often have complaints about the fairing mirrors. Just a thought that might help you and maybe some others.

While no bike is perfect, the mirror location is just one of many amenities that makes the Swing such a comfortable bike to ride.
Back to top Go down
willajabir
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
avatar

Number of posts : 26
Location : Birmingham, AL
Points : 1915
Registration date : 2012-08-21

PostSubject: Re: Mirror relocation to fairing   Tue 10 Oct 2017, 10:22

Thanks Dale. Seems watching for mirror bump at full stop is a common problem when upgrading windscreens on most bikes.

bikehiker: Appreciate your concern. I understand this. Seems some manufacturers adjust mirrors for one size riders. Probably wrong, but that's just how it seems sometimes. My Burgman 650 and CTX both came with fairing mount mirrors and they had a LOT more forum discussion than the SW mirrors. More of a safety concern on them vs resolving positioning on handlebar mounts.

A bit off topic, but hijacking ones on thread isn't as demonic, right?
About a year ago, I started reading through my journals and REorganizing my photos. Even though I'd really loved every bike I've had, the Silverwing and the Forza were the ones that stirred my soul, so to speak.

Anywho, thanks again for inputs and suggestions to all.
Back to top Go down
bikehiker
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
avatar

Number of posts : 42
Location : New Cumberland PA
Points : 91
Registration date : 2017-09-07

PostSubject: Re: Mirror relocation to fairing   Tue 10 Oct 2017, 14:12

willajabir wrote:
Thanks Dale. Seems watching for mirror bump at full stop is a common problem when upgrading windscreens on most bikes.

bikehiker: Appreciate your concern. I understand this. Seems some manufacturers adjust mirrors for one size riders. Probably wrong, but that's just how it seems sometimes. My Burgman 650 and CTX both came with fairing mount mirrors and they had a LOT more forum discussion than the SW mirrors. More of a safety concern on them vs resolving positioning on handlebar mounts.

A bit off topic, but hijacking ones on thread isn't as demonic, right?
About a year ago, I started reading through my journals and REorganizing my photos. Even though I'd really loved every bike I've had, the Silverwing and the Forza were the ones that stirred my soul, so to speak.

Anywho, thanks again for inputs and suggestions to all.

A little red face here. I should have realized I'm preaching to the choir. Your reply reminded me that most members here are very experienced; my above post makes me look like "master of the obvious" to this group. Anyway...

And, yes, the Forza really looks like a nice replacement to the Swing for many of us. If I live long enough, it may be a Forza or comfortable Honda DCT bike, whatever Honda may spawn. Honda is making many more auto transmission bikes--love their forward thinking!
Back to top Go down
willajabir
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
avatar

Number of posts : 26
Location : Birmingham, AL
Points : 1915
Registration date : 2012-08-21

PostSubject: Re: Mirror relocation to fairing   Tue 10 Oct 2017, 20:13

bikehiker wrote:

A little red face here.  I should have realized I'm preaching to the choir.  Your reply reminded me that most members here are very experienced; my above post makes me look like "master of the obvious" to this group.  Anyway...

And, yes, the Forza really looks like a nice replacement to the Swing for many of us.  If I live long enough, it may be a Forza or comfortable Honda DCT bike, whatever Honda may spawn.  Honda is making many more auto transmission bikes--love their forward thinking!

Hahahaha, I've seen choir members forget the words to the hymns. Unless stated in the same thread or someone you have experience with, there is no way you would know what an individual knows or doesn't know. Plus knowing something doesn't mean I was thinking logically at the time either. Even then, others read this forum and learn about the bike for the first time. Keep it up!!!!!
Edit: I'm not really as smart and sexy as my avatar would imply. Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
 
Mirror relocation to fairing
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1
 Similar topics
-
» Mirror popped off.
» Signal light in fairing and mirror
» Mirror mounted LEDs
» K100RS Fairing Pieces
» 968 Aero Mirror Upgrade Help

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum :: Honda Silver Wing :: Accessories & Modifications-
Jump to: