Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» What were they thinking?
Pin Stripes I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Today at 8:09 am

» Happy St. Patricks Day!
Pin Stripes I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Today at 8:00 am

» Will my 2002 Silverwing 600 fit in the bed of my F150 Ford with Tailgat up or down?
Pin Stripes I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Yesterday at 8:05 pm

» Earth cable stress
Pin Stripes I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Yesterday at 7:29 pm

» Hello from Ontario, Canada
Pin Stripes I_icon_minitimeby PerryH Sun Mar 17, 2024 7:05 pm

» LED Headlights
Pin Stripes I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Sat Mar 16, 2024 7:52 am

» Cylinder Head Replacement
Pin Stripes I_icon_minitimeby 95konig Fri Mar 15, 2024 9:50 pm

» Cooling fan still running
Pin Stripes I_icon_minitimeby Terry Smith Wed Mar 13, 2024 3:18 pm

» March 2024 Forum Picture
Pin Stripes I_icon_minitimeby Dale N. Wed Mar 13, 2024 2:38 pm

» Hyperpro Fork Springs
Pin Stripes I_icon_minitimeby Mech 1 twa Sun Mar 10, 2024 7:31 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Pin Stripes

Go down 
+6
lloyd193
Dale N.
DickO
Modernman1953
oldwingguy
bikehiker
10 posters
AuthorMessage
bikehiker
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
bikehiker

Number of posts : 433
Registration date : 2017-09-07

Pin Stripes Empty
PostSubject: Pin Stripes   Pin Stripes I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 05, 2017 7:08 pm

Since late year Swings come in any color of your choice, as long as it's black (like Ford's Model T's), we black Swing owners who are thus subjected to this color choice dilemma still have options. I decided to add a little bling. I hope I did the pic upload correctly.

This vinyl pin striping comes in rolls. I can't remember what company this came from because I originally used this on another black bike that I owned, and it stays on pretty well. Also, I know that it is forgiving in that you can peel it off immediately. Although I'm not sure, but I think after a few years, you may be able to remove the tape without residual marks, unless some of the other plastic colors in early years fade over time. Maybe some finish experts can chime in with advice.

You can get vinyl striping in many colors, too.

For me, the stripes add an extra dimension and style that the plain black color lacked.

Pin Stripes Img_8810

Pin Stripes Img_8811
Back to top Go down
oldwingguy
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 1936
Registration date : 2016-01-29

Pin Stripes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pin Stripes   Pin Stripes I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 05, 2017 7:30 pm

I can tell you what painted accents do on black, after I removed some from my Wing there was a " shadow " that remained for almost two years, I always garage my vehicles so it may be the reason it took so long to even out. I just had my 18 year old white truck refurnished it had side decals, no sign at all they had been there after the buffing.
Back to top Go down
bikehiker
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
bikehiker

Pin Stripes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pin Stripes   Pin Stripes I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 05, 2017 10:21 pm

oldwingguy wrote:
I can tell you what painted accents do on black, after I removed some from my Wing there was a " shadow " that remained for almost two years, I always garage my vehicles so it may be the reason it took so long to even out. I just had my 18 year old white truck refurnished it had side decals, no sign at all they had been there after the buffing.

Good to know, especially if you plan to remove stripes, etc., in the future. I kept my stripes on a previous bike because to me it was so plain w/o stripes. I feel the same about the Swing.
Back to top Go down
Modernman1953
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 379
Registration date : 2016-06-01

Pin Stripes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pin Stripes   Pin Stripes I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 08, 2017 12:54 pm

Nice job on the pen striping.

Almost everything on the Silverwing is designed for function over form. Your stripes add something that is unique to your bike.

I think some lettering like 600cc somewhere on the side might work for me. I have seen some samples on here and so far, I haven't found what I want.

My cup holder sets mine apart from most other bikes. It gets the most mention. I want to show them the storage under the seat and or my block long wheelie.

Back to top Go down
DickO
Founding Member
DickO

Number of posts : 1017
Registration date : 2008-12-23

Pin Stripes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pin Stripes   Pin Stripes I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 08, 2017 2:23 pm

Well, "bikehiker"...  I, for one, think you did a beautiful job with the stripes... and, as with "Modman53" I'm still looking for some of those raised plastic stick-on numbers (600) in just the right size to put on the sides of my Wing just after the Silver Wing emblem.
Back to top Go down
Dale N.
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Dale N.

Number of posts : 1981
Registration date : 2014-02-13

Pin Stripes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pin Stripes   Pin Stripes I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 08, 2017 2:55 pm

Very nice job with the pin stripes!!

I would like some sort of sticker that says, " NO! This Is Not A Harley!"

Not sure what sort of reactions I'd get tho...
Back to top Go down
oldwingguy
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 1936
Registration date : 2016-01-29

Pin Stripes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pin Stripes   Pin Stripes I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 08, 2017 5:48 pm

I'm still looking for some of those raised plastic stick-on numbers (600) in just the right size to put on the sides of my Wing just after the Silver Wing emblem. <<>> I'd like a set of 150 cc numbers Surprised just for the look one would get as one pulls away small moped
Back to top Go down
lloyd193
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
lloyd193

Number of posts : 327
Registration date : 2017-05-13

Pin Stripes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pin Stripes   Pin Stripes I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 08, 2017 5:49 pm

Modernman1953 wrote:
Nice job on the pen striping.

Almost everything on the Silverwing is designed for function over form.  Your stripes add something that is unique to your bike.

I think some lettering like 600cc somewhere on the side might work for me.  I have seen some samples on here and so far, I haven't found what I want.  

My cup holder sets mine apart from most other bikes.  It gets the most mention.  I want to show them the storage under the seat and or my block long wheelie.  

I would like to show off a block long wheelie too!
Back to top Go down
Easyrider
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Easyrider

Number of posts : 1012
Registration date : 2015-12-18

Pin Stripes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pin Stripes   Pin Stripes I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 08, 2017 5:58 pm

How long is your block? A a wheelie of couple inches would still be a miracle for the Swing. LOL
Back to top Go down
dspevack
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
dspevack

Number of posts : 2008
Registration date : 2008-12-27

Pin Stripes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pin Stripes   Pin Stripes I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 08, 2017 6:53 pm

Pin stripes look great, and aren't expensive.
I invite you to consider taking it up a notch, as follows.
You can pick up at most autoparts stores, body side moldings, aka rubrails.
It comes as a roll and you cut it to length and stick on.
You can paint or pinstripe the body side moldings and put them in the same place as the stripes.

Why would you do this?
There are certain edges to the bike that take the impact if your bike should fall over.
Pin Stripes Rubrai10
By installing them you protect the bike.
And the adhesive to the rub rails doesn't affect the bike paint job.

Just food for thought.
Back to top Go down
bikehiker
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
bikehiker

Pin Stripes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pin Stripes   Pin Stripes I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 09, 2017 6:43 pm

Excellent idea. I've looked at many used scooters, and a great number have the drop damage exactly where you point out. I may try some of that rub rail stuff, too. I had some left over chrome plastic edging that I put on the back fender. I don't have a pic, but it stuck on and kind of blings the rear a little more.
Back to top Go down
Easyrider
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Easyrider

Number of posts : 1012
Registration date : 2015-12-18

Pin Stripes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pin Stripes   Pin Stripes I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 10, 2017 2:12 am

I tried the body molding, but couldn't get it to stick and stay around the curves. I ended up using 4 inch funiture stick-on sliders that I painted black. I positioned them where contact would be made with the ground. Not that pretty, just functional. It helps spread the pressure, saving the plastic tabs. I don't see them unless I purposely look for them.
Back to top Go down
bikehiker
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
bikehiker

Pin Stripes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pin Stripes   Pin Stripes I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 10, 2017 7:09 am

Good functional idea. Does same job as those motorcycle axle and fairing sliders at a fraction of the cost. You may be initiating a new style trend.
Back to top Go down
ScottO
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
ScottO

Number of posts : 49
Registration date : 2013-10-19

Pin Stripes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pin Stripes   Pin Stripes I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 12, 2017 11:01 pm

dspevack how wide are the tub rails you installed?
Back to top Go down
dspevack
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
dspevack

Pin Stripes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pin Stripes   Pin Stripes I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 13, 2017 4:30 pm

While I no longer have the bike to go look at, I seem to recall they were half-round moldings that were 1/2 inch or 3/8 inch in diameter.
They don't need to be big to do their job.
I think the smaller the diameter the easier they are to bend to follow the contour of the bike.
Once they are firmly installed, they can be painted or taped for color if desired.
I also remember that this was done @ an automotive shop with a product they had on hand.
No special order required.
Back to top Go down
bikehiker
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
bikehiker

Pin Stripes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pin Stripes   Pin Stripes I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 13, 2017 8:29 pm

Holy Cow, Dan! I checked out some of your mods. You are the King of Custom! The King of Farkel! I especially like your photovoltaic panel. That's an achievement that few know about doing. Very advanced thinking! If you no longer have the bike, then there's a lucky Swing owner out there who I hope is still enjoying that masterpiece Swing! Show stopper! Trophy winner! Congrats on all that great work! If I had that bike, I'd ride the pi** out of it to every bike show I could find. Then, after about 250,000 miles or so, donate it to a museum.
Back to top Go down
dspevack
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
dspevack

Pin Stripes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pin Stripes   Pin Stripes I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 14, 2017 5:07 pm

Bikehiker,
Thank you for the kind words. I rode it a lot and had the led lighting for bike nights too. Unfortunately a skiing accident sidelined me from riding for a while and when I got back to the bike it was so rusted from being parked next to salt water for so long it no longer became useable. Had my mechanic remove everything I could transfer to my next bike and sold it for scrap. A sad end to a beautiful bike. I would have gotten another Silverwing if there hadn't been a good Automatic motorcycle available.

I took what I learned customizing the wing and applied it to my Honda NM4.
I made many mistakes and had to redo certain things many times on the wing to get it right.
With all the mistakes made on the wing, I didn't have any left to make on the NM4. Got the customs on this bike right the first time and I'm having a blast with it. Enjoy your Silverwing. Its a great bike.
Back to top Go down
bikehiker
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
bikehiker

Pin Stripes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pin Stripes   Pin Stripes I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 14, 2017 6:10 pm

Interesting that you stayed in the Honda automatic family. I had been looking at the relatively new Honda automatics--NM4, 700 DCT, Europe 750 DCT, 1300 DCT, etc., and the Africa Twin DCT--all greatly refined bikes. My recently purchased low mileage 2012 Swing got in my way, darn, so it may be a while before I look into the DCTs. I think you will really enjoy that NM4, from what I have seen of it. And I don't think this forum would be annoyed with some of your modification pics of your NM4. Hint, Hint. Also, as you may know, there's an "other bikes" posting area, on this forum that would be enhanced by your NM4 mod pics.
Back to top Go down
dspevack
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
dspevack

Pin Stripes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pin Stripes   Pin Stripes I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 15, 2017 6:14 pm

If I still had my wing I could justify posting more about my NM4 than I already have.
Because this is a Silverwing board I try to keep my posts focused here, and offer the fruits of my decade of experience with the wing where it is valuable. Most of my knowledge has been posted over the years but occasionally an obscure tid-bit of info is useful to a new rider.
I've sent you some links on the NM4 via PM if you are interested.

Dan
Back to top Go down
Bairdb
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 64
Registration date : 2017-02-12

Pin Stripes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pin Stripes   Pin Stripes I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 17, 2017 3:44 am

Bikehiker
Due to my fascination with Hondas and some rash decisions I now have a "leftover" 2013 Silver Wing bought still in the crate with .5 miles on it and a 2016 Vultus NM4 bought new.
I have found masses of great information on the Honda Vultus Forum.
http://www.vultusforum.com
I love both bikes for differing reasons.
Blain
Back to top Go down
bikehiker
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
bikehiker

Pin Stripes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pin Stripes   Pin Stripes I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 18, 2017 7:19 pm

Bairdb wrote:
Bikehiker
Due to my fascination with Hondas and some rash decisions I now have a "leftover" 2013 Silver Wing bought still in the crate with .5 miles on it and a 2016 Vultus NM4 bought new.
I have found masses of great information on the Honda Vultus Forum.
http://www.vultusforum.com
I love both bikes for differing reasons.
Blain

Yes, that Vultus forum has some neat info--also w/ your help.

Great to know you also have a "new" Swing, too. That might keep you on this forum. Hard choice in the morning deciding which funster to ride today. Each one giving a new refreshing experience.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Pin Stripes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pin Stripes   Pin Stripes I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Pin Stripes
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum :: Honda Silver Wing :: Accessories & Modifications-
Jump to: