Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» What were they thinking?
Last SilverWing Ride - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Today at 3:11 am

» Will my 2002 Silverwing 600 fit in the bed of my F150 Ford with Tailgat up or down?
Last SilverWing Ride - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Yesterday at 8:05 pm

» Earth cable stress
Last SilverWing Ride - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Yesterday at 7:29 pm

» Happy St. Patricks Day!
Last SilverWing Ride - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeby BrianInVA Yesterday at 5:11 pm

» Hello from Ontario, Canada
Last SilverWing Ride - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeby PerryH Sun Mar 17, 2024 7:05 pm

» LED Headlights
Last SilverWing Ride - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Sat Mar 16, 2024 7:52 am

» Cylinder Head Replacement
Last SilverWing Ride - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeby 95konig Fri Mar 15, 2024 9:50 pm

» Cooling fan still running
Last SilverWing Ride - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeby Terry Smith Wed Mar 13, 2024 3:18 pm

» March 2024 Forum Picture
Last SilverWing Ride - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeby Dale N. Wed Mar 13, 2024 2:38 pm

» Hyperpro Fork Springs
Last SilverWing Ride - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeby Mech 1 twa Sun Mar 10, 2024 7:31 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Last SilverWing Ride

Go down 
+14
DerrillW
"Hi Yo"
Mike from NS
Smaug
Pastor Ron
JeffR
Meldrew
cliffyk
DickO
steve_h80
Old Limey
Bash On!
Cosmic_Jumper
john grinsel
18 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3290
Registration date : 2009-08-18

Last SilverWing Ride - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Last SilverWing Ride   Last SilverWing Ride - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 05, 2017 9:32 am

First topic message reminder :

Yesterday=last SilverWing Ride for me---Chattanooga TN Dalton GA---not far. 2013 traded for new bike, SilverWing had near 50,000 miles, it was my second new one, ending over 90,000 SilverWing miles--- they have been reliable, way overweight and unbalanced feeling, loaded for trip, at slow speeds

Biggest pain for me----the horrible buffeting, even with Givi adjustable shield.

TIP: want better handling/feeling---take the Givi box off!! Acts like rock tied to arrow. Yesterday it was off on my ride=what a difference in feeling/handling feel!

Trade in deal was fine for me, as High Miles big scooters have near zero value in US----paid to boot $1000 and my scooter got Red 2017 Honda CB300F---At 78 need lighter bike,nomal clutch, non-linked brakes ---- for exact control at low speed, feet up U turns for example.----soon windshield, Hepco & Becker C-Bow rack and bags ordered, luggage rack and if I use top box this time will try Bestem (light weight)---need this stuff added to bike as I use it for all my transportation and need to carry tools, rain gear, etc. Scooters better in this aspect with their underseat storage.
Back to top Go down

AuthorMessage
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4169
Registration date : 2010-11-16

PostSubject: Re: Last SilverWing Ride   Last SilverWing Ride - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 18, 2017 8:33 am

john grinsel wrote:
Who says I ride/rode 1300 miles in  Day?? I will normally ride 300-400 miles a day.  Usual reason for stop besides being tired, is my ears hurt from ear plugs.

Having ridden 62 years, using bike as transportation and pleasure miles pile up.  Proper professional quality riding gear adds to comfort.  By the way I have had over 75 new bikes, so some experience in what works and what does not.

9 maxi-scooters since 1990---all same problem=BUFFETING, very tiring, pain in butt on long rides. Base line for comfort=Heinrich equipped BMW or for that matter HD, with up-down solo seat, winter windshield kit and tin leg shields.

I am rider with nothing to prove.

Then my dear fellow please do stop repeating in almost every post how many miles you've done, how many bikes and scooters you've owned, how many rubber band scooter miles you've ridden etc. By now we all have it indelibly etched into our memories. Likewise the baseline Heinrich wind buffeting nonsense, unless you were riding old air cooled BMW boxer twins in the UK or Europe 40 odd years ago and were in a BMW club, you'd probably have no idea about what German accessories manufacturer Heinrich produced at all. Then of course if you hadn't been living and working on a US military base in Germany or elsewhere back then, you wouldn't have known about anything about Heinrich either.

Here endeth the lesson.  Smile

I'm also surprised to read to get pain from wearing ear plugs, I presuming from that you're still wearing cheapo disposable foam ear plugs. I'm sure others will disagree but after using them myself for years, they're rubbish. Either one or both don't seal if they're not rolled and inserted correctly into the ear. Push them too far into the ear canal and they become painful when riding, removing them afterwards can be painful too. On the move it can drive you to distraction.

Disposable foam plugs are always difficult to use again, prolonged use will pick up dirt and oil from your hands that can cause ear infections and a wax build up in your ear canals.  Even pushing a clean pair of disposables into your ears three or four times a day over a few days wil make the ear canal tender and irritated.

They way to go if you want ear plugs to give effective hearing protection and all day comfort is get some moulds made of your ear canals and get one or two pairs of custom-fit silicone ear plugs.

I've been very happy with my custom-fit plugs for many years now after rejecting a couple of pairs that were ineffective with motorcycle helmets. I've no pain, they're comfortable and just as efficient in open face or full face helmets. They're easy to keep clean, they come specifically marked for your left and right ears, and for a little extra you can have them corded together.

I also wear one pair to music concerts, on long flghts, and for the last couple of years or simply to mute that awful 'motivational' music they infict on you in gyms.

Last edited by Meldrew on Thu Oct 19, 2017 3:59 am; edited 3 times in total
Back to top Go down
oldwingguy
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 1936
Registration date : 2016-01-29

PostSubject: Re: Last SilverWing Ride   Last SilverWing Ride - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 18, 2017 8:36 am

It also sounds like the Windbender that was sold for Gold Wings I thought it worked well as did my co-rider, it took a bit of adjusting but once the sweet spot was hit you were good to go.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Last SilverWing Ride   Last SilverWing Ride - Page 2 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Last SilverWing Ride
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum :: Honda Silver Wing :: Silver Wing Topics-
Jump to: