Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» drive belts
Introduction  I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Yesterday at 5:43 pm

» New member from Europe
Introduction  I_icon_minitimeby alex_at Yesterday at 3:55 pm

» New Silverwing owner, thoughts and questions
Introduction  I_icon_minitimeby alex_at Yesterday at 3:54 pm

» Will my 2002 Silverwing 600 fit in the bed of my F150 Ford with Tailgat up or down?
Introduction  I_icon_minitimeby tedebr Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:56 pm

» Is this a good price for a Silverwing 2006
Introduction  I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:19 pm

» What were they thinking?
Introduction  I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:57 am

» Hello everyone
Introduction  I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:54 am

» Sidelight Bulbs
Introduction  I_icon_minitimeby Green7 Mon Mar 25, 2024 5:25 pm

» Voyager trike kit forsale
Introduction  I_icon_minitimeby Mkdelay12@gmail.com Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:41 pm

» tiny oil leak
Introduction  I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Sun Mar 24, 2024 1:41 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Introduction

Go down 
+10
Mike from NS
JeffR
Jolly Bodger
Bash On!
john grinsel
Cosmic_Jumper
cotetoi
Dale N.
Winger61
ChrisPsw
14 posters
AuthorMessage
ChrisPsw
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
ChrisPsw

Number of posts : 11
Registration date : 2017-09-04

Introduction  Empty
PostSubject: Introduction    Introduction  I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 04, 2017 4:13 am

Hello guys. I'm new to the forum. I've been riding sport bikes for 6 years. I'm only 34 years old. From oklahoma.decided to switch it up and try a silverwing. Let me tell you first time I sat on one and rode it., I fell in love. So I been searching and I plan on picking up a 07'silverwing with 15000 miles on it here in Oklahoma.  I'm buying it from a dealer. I have some concerns though. When I got there they couldn't start it cause the battery was dead, so they said they have to order one. So I didn't get to test ride it.  It will be a couple days.  So I'm bummed I'm not sure if there is any other issues with the bike. So I express that feeling to them. They said not to worry that it happens. And they serviced it already, One owner that owner traded it in for a 5x5 ? Should I be ok since im getting it through a dealer should I get extended warranty? Sigh. What should I do?  Thank guys!
Back to top Go down
Winger61
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
Winger61

Number of posts : 452
Registration date : 2010-10-15

Introduction  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Introduction    Introduction  I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 04, 2017 5:52 am

Welcome to the site - what's a 5x5??
Back to top Go down
Dale N.
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Dale N.

Number of posts : 1981
Registration date : 2014-02-13

Introduction  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Introduction    Introduction  I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 04, 2017 8:12 am

Hi Chris. Welcome to the best SWing site on the net.

I wouldn't be too worried about the dead battery. I'm not sure how long a SWing has to sit before the battery is too dead to not start the SWing. There is a slight drain on the battery at all times when it's sitting due to it holding the computer memory etc. I usually put mine on a trickle charger every couple of months over the winter to maintain a charge. When you go back to the dealer and finally get to take it for a test ride, as long as it starts good and runs good there should be no problems.

I have an 08 SWing that I got from my sister in FL about 4 years ago. The battery was stone dead as it had been sitting for two years under a tarp. When I got it home I took the battery out and hooked up jumper cables from my pickup just to see if all the lights worked etc. It had 1/2 a tank of gas so I figured what the heck and tried to start it. It turned over about three times and popped off with no smoke or hesitation and ran great. Once I got parts ordered and put on it I dumped 1/2 can of Seafoam in the tank, rode it to the gas station and filled it up. I haven't had a problem with it since.

Hope this helps. The SWing is a great bike.
Back to top Go down
cotetoi
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Number of posts : 757
Registration date : 2013-06-27

Introduction  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Introduction    Introduction  I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 04, 2017 9:52 am

Hey, Chris, Welcome from New Brunswick, Canada. In the Spring, I bought a 2007 with a dead battery. The dealer put it on charge for a day and it is working fine now. When you get your SWing, pull out the trunk lightbulb: it is usually the culprit in dead batteries in this bike. And make sure your seat latches securely if you do leave the bulb in. The seat latch cuts out the power to the bulb.
Jay.
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

Introduction  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Introduction    Introduction  I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 04, 2017 11:33 am

Hello Chris. Thank you for your introduction. Welcome to the forum.

WT? How can a dealer service a machine with a dead battery. They had to order a new battery? What is this, a plad-suited, pinky ringed, used car joint? 

Extended Warranty? How can you trust an operation which doesn't have a battery for you? Do these folks have any kind of experience servicing Silverwings? I highly doubt they even know where the spark plugs might be or how to reset the "V" when it comes on, let alone how to properly replace the belt without butchering things.

IMO, save that extended warranty money. Buy a factory service manual (ebay) --hereafter referred to as FSM. The Silverwing is easy to work on, provided you have some basic mechanical skills, just a few basic tools and the right information. You can also use that saved extended warranty money (which won't cover routine service or consumables anyway) and order a new belt from Partzilla or your local real Honda motorcycle dealer.

BTW that yellow"V" light on the display is about to come ON to indicate that you are at the 16,000 mile belt change interval. Don't panic, it's not going to explode if you don't replace it immediately. Many here have put off replacing the belt until over 20,000 miles. IIFC one member here suggested waiting until 40,000 miles to replace. Make what you will of that.

Learn to do it yourself. We are here to help.
Back to top Go down
ChrisPsw
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
ChrisPsw

Introduction  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Introduction    Introduction  I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 07, 2017 4:11 pm

Well I've been eying a 2013 Silverwing. But I put a 100$ deposit on the 2007. Crying or Very sad
2013 around 1100 miles for $4495.00
2007 around 15000 miles for $3700.00
What should I do ?
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3291
Registration date : 2009-08-18

Introduction  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Introduction    Introduction  I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 07, 2017 4:54 pm

Try too get your deposit back. Buy the 2013. Newer is always better than old and probably cheaper to keep and ride.
Back to top Go down
Bash On!
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 252
Registration date : 2015-08-24

Introduction  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Introduction    Introduction  I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 07, 2017 5:14 pm

+1 to John Grinsel's advice. 2013 definitely has ABS but it was an option in 2007 so the older model may or may not have it. Also, I think the 2007 was before the changes that improved fuel mileage.

At 34, you're about half the average age of folks here. Welcome!
Back to top Go down
ChrisPsw
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
ChrisPsw

Introduction  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Introduction    Introduction  I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 07, 2017 5:47 pm

Thankyou! Guys! Decision made. I was thinking the same . I'm getting excited although I still haven't sold my 11'cbr250r. Sad
Back to top Go down
Jolly Bodger
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 105
Registration date : 2016-10-05

Introduction  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Introduction    Introduction  I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 07, 2017 7:00 pm

Go for the newer one - John's right.
Try to get your money back but if not take the hit! You could always try to get an extra $100 off the newer one.

JB
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Introduction  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Introduction    Introduction  I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 07, 2017 8:38 pm

+4 on Mr Grinsel's advise.

The dealer has two Silverwings on his hands which are damn hard to unload. It's the end of the season and nobody wants big scooters. Haggle a better price on the '13. Not that there is anything wrong with an '07, but you'll never know how much of an upgrade you've gotten for the extra money you'll spend for the '13. And unless you have the mechanical aptitude of a plant, don't get sucked into an extended warranty. Buy the FSM. DIY. 

scratch Um, hope that makes sense.

Tim
Back to top Go down
ChrisPsw
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
ChrisPsw

Introduction  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Introduction    Introduction  I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 07, 2017 9:06 pm

Thankyou guys
Back to top Go down
JeffR
Site Admin
JeffR

Number of posts : 2596
Registration date : 2008-12-19

Introduction  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Introduction    Introduction  I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 08, 2017 2:36 am

The 2013 will have the O2 sensor which will get you about 5 mpg better from what I have heard.  I had the 2007 and it did not have the O2 sensor and it seemed everyone else was getting about 5 mpg better.  I would just get the 2013 even if you lose your $100 deposit.  Have fun with it and the SWing will take you anywhere you want to go in comfort.  Mine did 104 mph per gps so please don't think that the SWing is just some scooter.  It could get you in trouble.  Post a pic if you get a chance when you get your SWing.  And welcome.
Back to top Go down
https://www.silverwing600.com
Bash On!
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider

Introduction  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Introduction    Introduction  I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 08, 2017 9:51 am

Cosmic_Jumper wrote:

And unless you have the mechanical aptitude of a plant, don't get sucked into an extended warranty.

Yes, I have the mechanical aptitude of a plant. [Don't ask me how I got a chopstick (yes, one of those) stuck in a gas tank and had to pay $85 to get it out.]

Yes, I bought the extended warranty.

Yes, I have a FSM (have 3-4 manuals for the Beemer, too).  However, it's like a person with a cookbook collection who never goes in the kitchen.  Embarassed
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Introduction  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Introduction    Introduction  I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 08, 2017 10:30 am

Sounds like the beginning of a good joke. "So there was this Texan who came into the shop with a chopstick in his tank..."
Back to top Go down
Bash On!
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider

Introduction  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Introduction    Introduction  I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 08, 2017 11:05 am

I'm sure they're still telling that one at the shop ....
Back to top Go down
ChrisPsw
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
ChrisPsw

Introduction  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Introduction    Introduction  I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 29, 2017 2:08 am

Hey guys it has been awhile since I checked in. I finally got an SW! 2013 with 1151 miles. And I love it! cheers Wish I knew how to insert some pics. scratch
Back to top Go down
ChrisPsw
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
ChrisPsw

Introduction  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Introduction    Introduction  I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 29, 2017 2:12 am

Introduction  52c40c10
Introduction  B0095d10
Introduction  3d2fb510
Introduction  0141ae10[url=https://servimg.com/view/19781909/1]Introduction  52c40c10[/url]
Introduction  B0095d10

Introduction  3d2fb510
[url=https://servimg.com/view/19781909/4]Introduction  0141ae10[/url]
Back to top Go down
cotetoi
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Number of posts : 757
Registration date : 2013-06-27

Introduction  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Introduction    Introduction  I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 29, 2017 9:35 am

That's a beauty ! Enjoy.
Jay.
Back to top Go down
Mike from NS
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
Mike from NS

Number of posts : 461
Registration date : 2013-09-12

Introduction  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Introduction    Introduction  I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 01, 2017 7:36 am

Looks to be in mint condition Chris.
Congratulations and welcome from Nova Scotia.

Back to top Go down
Pastor Ron
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider

Number of posts : 400
Registration date : 2013-02-24

Introduction  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Introduction    Introduction  I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 01, 2017 7:58 pm

Congrats, I am sure you will have many miles of enjoyment
Back to top Go down
bikehiker
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
bikehiker

Number of posts : 433
Registration date : 2017-09-07

Introduction  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Introduction    Introduction  I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 02, 2017 7:02 am

Good choice. Good buy. Safer with ABS. Low miles means more longevity and less maintenance for a long time. Enjoy.

Buy the way, I always admired the newer 250 R thumper. Seems like a great bike. Hope you enjoyed it.
Back to top Go down
sonuvabug
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
sonuvabug

Number of posts : 924
Registration date : 2010-09-15

Introduction  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Introduction    Introduction  I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 02, 2017 8:19 am

Welcome aboard the board ... nice ride!
Back to top Go down
GHM-PM
Site Admin
GHM-PM

Number of posts : 2540
Registration date : 2012-05-17

Introduction  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Introduction    Introduction  I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 02, 2017 8:29 am

Looks like a great buy! All the rubber should be still good too! On the 2007 that would have been suspect. Enjoy it and RIDE.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Introduction  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Introduction    Introduction  I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Introduction
Page 1 of 1