Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Rear shock longevity
Brakes and some other questions... I_icon_minitimeby Erdoc48 Today at 9:07 am

» Hi there guys
Brakes and some other questions... I_icon_minitimeby Kenjls Today at 7:20 am

» Final Drive Noise banished
Brakes and some other questions... I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Today at 7:14 am

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
Brakes and some other questions... I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Yesterday at 7:40 am

» What did you do to your SW today.
Brakes and some other questions... I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:26 pm

» YSS rear shocks for sale
Brakes and some other questions... I_icon_minitimeby StuartBrown Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:36 pm

» New to Me Swing
Brakes and some other questions... I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:06 pm

» SOLD 2004 Honda Silver Wing for sale, tastefully modded SOLD
Brakes and some other questions... I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Sun Apr 14, 2024 2:29 pm

» peace, love and life
Brakes and some other questions... I_icon_minitimeby cello33 Fri Apr 12, 2024 6:35 pm

» Fork specs, please help before 9/4/2024
Brakes and some other questions... I_icon_minitimeby Anders L Thu Apr 11, 2024 9:58 am

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Brakes and some other questions...

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
LeRoi50
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 13
Registration date : 2017-08-13

Brakes and some other questions... Empty
PostSubject: Brakes and some other questions...   Brakes and some other questions... I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 27, 2017 11:55 am

The brakes on my 2003 ABS Silverwing work, but that's about it.
The front brake feels a bit soggy and the linked rear/front brakes works best....but could be better I think.
I'm used to sharp really well dosed brakes on my FJR, am I spoiled or do I need to get used to a new kind of brake feel?
I will replace the fluids soon for DOT 5.1, is there anything to keep in mind my bike being a ABS version....?
I did clean the front calliper today and lubed the slide pins. Caliper and pads look really good.

Also, I have a slight oil leak. I took the skid plate off and cleaned everything to get a good idea where it's coming from. I read about some possible causes on the forum.
Btw, can I ride without the skid plate? I don't thing the skid plate bolts hold anything together.....they just hold the plate. Or am I mistaken?

Thanks for any tips
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

PostSubject: Re: Brakes and some other questions...   Brakes and some other questions... I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 27, 2017 12:26 pm

Sure you can ride without the skid plate. However you run the risk of puncturing the crankcase.

It sounds as if you need to bleed the brakes --sooner rather than later. The front brake should feel "normal" not spongy. The rear (linked) brake does feel softer than the front, but that seems to be because the rear brake also must travel further to activate the starter interlock switch.

I hope all this makes sense.

Tim
Back to top Go down
steve_h80
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Number of posts : 998
Registration date : 2016-05-15

PostSubject: Re: Brakes and some other questions...   Brakes and some other questions... I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 27, 2017 12:44 pm

I've just changed the front pads on mine last week, after a little bedding in things are much improved. The previous pads still had plenty if meat on them but I suspect they had become slightly contaminated over the god knows how many years.
Anyone know how long the original hoses last?
Back to top Go down
terrier
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
terrier

Number of posts : 299
Registration date : 2015-08-12

PostSubject: Re: Brakes and some other questions...   Brakes and some other questions... I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 27, 2017 1:34 pm

LeRoi50 wrote:
I will replace the fluids soon for DOT 5.1

The correct fluid is DOT 4
Back to top Go down
LeRoi50
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 13
Registration date : 2017-08-13

PostSubject: Re: Brakes and some other questions...   Brakes and some other questions... I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 27, 2017 2:16 pm

terrier wrote:
LeRoi50 wrote:
I will replace the fluids soon for DOT 5.1

The correct fluid is DOT 4

That is correct, however I have a big bottle of 5.1 and they mix.
Also, the 5.1 has a higher boiling point....but that won't matter to much on a Silverwing I think.

I will bleed the brakes and see what happens, should improve.
Anything special to keep in mind bleeding the brakes on a ABS equipped bike?

As for the skid plate, I just want it off for a few days and be able to get a better look at the possible leak.
If I find it, or not, I will fit it again.

Btw, the brakes aren't dangerous at the moment, could be better though....
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Brakes and some other questions...   Brakes and some other questions... I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Brakes and some other questions...
Page 1 of 1