Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

Hi, I am opening this site back up for new members. I closed it due to a few members complaining. Please just accept the site for what it is. The site is 'what it is'. We hope you enjoy the site. Please also join www.maxi-scoots.com
 
HomeCalendarGalleryFAQSearchRegisterLog in
Search
 
 

Display results as :
 
Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Learning to mind my own business
by "Hi Yo" Today at 1:00 pm

» My SilverWing riding days could be coming to a close
by Meldrew Today at 9:27 am

» New member from the uk
by siataukreg Today at 5:26 am

» Commuting in little rock on darkside....
by GHM-PM Yesterday at 9:19 pm

» Snow My Goodness
by Mech 1 twa Yesterday at 8:02 pm

» Christmas Dinner
by oldwingguy Thu Nov 15, 2018 3:53 pm

» I have a funny feeling about this.
by "Hi Yo" Thu Nov 15, 2018 11:30 am

» Selling my Silver Wing
by joebillybobinark Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:30 am

» Replacement Tyres
by GHM-PM Thu Nov 15, 2018 7:22 am

» start serious search for new bike/scooter
by Scootypuff Snr Wed Nov 14, 2018 4:22 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 Profile
 FAQ
 Search
free forum
 
Share | 
 

 Windshield Bracket? Need help please

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Gustafa
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
avatar

Number of posts : 208
Location : Cordova, TN
Points : 1392
Registration date : 2015-10-10

PostSubject: Windshield Bracket? Need help please   Sun Aug 27, 2017 11:06 am

In the repaint/remodel of my silverwing, I can see where this bracket goes, but cannot figure out how it works? I should have taken a disassembly photo, but beyond that, does anyone have any experience and so forth with how this mounts? Do I need it really?

Thanks as always!

Back to top Go down
lloyd193
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
avatar

Number of posts : 328
Age : 78
Location : Orlando Fl. USA
Points : 1121
Registration date : 2017-05-13

PostSubject: Re: Windshield Bracket? Need help please   Sun Aug 27, 2017 11:48 am

Gustafa wrote:
In the repaint/remodel of my silverwing, I can see where this bracket goes, but cannot figure out how it works? I should have taken a disassembly photo, but beyond that, does anyone have any experience and so forth with how this mounts? Do I need it really?

Thanks as always!


Even though the photo is upside down, I will comment. The Givi reinforcement bracket requires that a hole be carefully drilled thru the plastic only. Carefully marking the location for the new hole after removing the corresponding fasteners. The drill bit should only penetrate the plastic and not damage the threaded fastener below the plastic area to be removed. Use a bit the same diameter as the hole in the support. Happy Motoring Lloyd 193. swing
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
avatar

Number of posts : 2840
Age : 75
Location : damn near Philadelphia, PA
Points : 6738
Registration date : 2009-06-12

PostSubject: Re: Windshield Bracket? Need help please   Sun Aug 27, 2017 12:09 pm

Gustafa wrote:
In the repaint/remodel of my silverwing, I can see where this bracket goes, but cannot figure out how it works? I should have taken a disassembly photo, but beyond that, does anyone have any experience and so forth with how this mounts? Do I need it really?]

Do you "really" need it?...No. Should you?...Yes!

Dunno how, but the bracket helps keep the windscreen from flexing due to wind and turbulence. It also makes for a more secure attachment of the Givi to the Silverwing body. While that bracket initially came with the one piece Givi screen it is more applicable for use on the Air Flow screen. A flexing AF screen may well cause the upper blade to loosen in the mount clamps and come flying off at speed.

BTW Your photo is not upside down.

Tim
Back to top Go down
Gustafa
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
avatar

Number of posts : 208
Location : Cordova, TN
Points : 1392
Registration date : 2015-10-10

PostSubject: Re: Windshield Bracket? Need help please   Sun Aug 27, 2017 12:20 pm

Thank you guys. I figured it was for the givi I have. Does it go behind the Honda fairing or between the windshield and fairing? I don't think it fits between windshield and fairing due to the Allen head bolt?
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
avatar

Number of posts : 2840
Age : 75
Location : damn near Philadelphia, PA
Points : 6738
Registration date : 2009-06-12

PostSubject: Re: Windshield Bracket? Need help please   Sun Aug 27, 2017 12:43 pm

The bracket goes between the Givi windscreen and the body. The bracket fits almost exactly as you have it in the photo. That Allen Head bolt is removed and the middle bracket hole fits at that location. The other two bracket holes are for the windshield mount screws. There should have been two button head cap screws supplied with the windshield to replace those OEM Allen Head screws which had shoulders. If you don't have the Givi-supplied replacement screws then you should get something to fit (Ace Hardware?) so that that bracket is anchored.

Once that bracket is in location the hole in the bent tab will be at the approximate location of the hidden captive nut on the frame.
Back to top Go down
Gustafa
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
avatar

Number of posts : 208
Location : Cordova, TN
Points : 1392
Registration date : 2015-10-10

PostSubject: Re: Windshield Bracket? Need help please   Sun Aug 27, 2017 1:03 pm

Cosmic_Jumper wrote:
The bracket goes between the Givi windscreen and the body. The bracket fits almost exactly as you have it in the photo. That Allen Head bolt is removed and the middle bracket hole fits at that location. The other two bracket holes are for the windshield mount screws. There should have been two button head cap screws supplied with the windshield to replace those OEM Allen Head screws which had shoulders. If you don't have the Givi-supplied replacement screws then you should get something to fit (Ace Hardware?) so that that bracket is anchored.

Once that bracket is in location the hole in the bent tab will be at the approximate location of the hidden captive nut on the frame.

I bought the bike with the Givi on it, ill look through my screws and find those, I think I have those. Thanks for taking the time to help me get it right!
Back to top Go down
Easyrider
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
avatar

Number of posts : 639
Age : 68
Location : HI
Points : 1763
Registration date : 2015-12-18

PostSubject: Re: Windshield Bracket? Need help please   Sun Aug 27, 2017 2:01 pm

Whenever I take things apart, I place the screws in Ziploc bags and label them. Small parts can be bagged with the screws/bolts. My 2¢.
Keep the bags for the next time you take things apart.
Back to top Go down
Gustafa
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
avatar

Number of posts : 208
Location : Cordova, TN
Points : 1392
Registration date : 2015-10-10

PostSubject: Re: Windshield Bracket? Need help please   Sun Aug 27, 2017 3:03 pm

Easyrider wrote:
Whenever I take things apart, I place the screws in Ziploc bags and label them. Small parts can be bagged with the screws/bolts. My 2¢.
Keep the bags for the next time you take things apart.

Thats exactly what I did, 20 bags, EXCEPT for the windshield LOL
Back to top Go down
Easyrider
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
avatar

Number of posts : 639
Age : 68
Location : HI
Points : 1763
Registration date : 2015-12-18

PostSubject: Re: Windshield Bracket? Need help please   Sun Aug 27, 2017 5:51 pm

Gustafa wrote:
Easyrider wrote:
Whenever I take things apart, I place the screws in Ziploc bags and label them. Small parts can be bagged with the screws/bolts. My 2¢.
Keep the bags for the next time you take things apart.

Thats exactly what I did, 20 bags, EXCEPT for the windshield LOL
Isn't that how it always work out! LOL. Most of the small parts fit in the snack bag. When done, I save them in a gallon Ziploc bag. I have over twenty bags now. Right side parts are kept separate from the left side.
Back to top Go down
 
Windshield Bracket? Need help please
Back to top 
Page 1 of 1
 Similar topics
-
» Removing scratches from Windshield
» Windshield
» UTV Tech Windshield Stiffener Solves a Sucking Problem
» EMP lexan windshield??
» In-Dash CB mounting bracket?

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum :: Honda Silver Wing :: Maintenance, Tips and Hints-
Jump to: