Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Rear shock longevity
2009 Silverwing won't start I_icon_minitimeby Erdoc48 Today at 9:07 am

» Hi there guys
2009 Silverwing won't start I_icon_minitimeby Kenjls Today at 7:20 am

» Final Drive Noise banished
2009 Silverwing won't start I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Today at 7:14 am

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
2009 Silverwing won't start I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Yesterday at 7:40 am

» What did you do to your SW today.
2009 Silverwing won't start I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:26 pm

» YSS rear shocks for sale
2009 Silverwing won't start I_icon_minitimeby StuartBrown Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:36 pm

» New to Me Swing
2009 Silverwing won't start I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:06 pm

» SOLD 2004 Honda Silver Wing for sale, tastefully modded SOLD
2009 Silverwing won't start I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Sun Apr 14, 2024 2:29 pm

» peace, love and life
2009 Silverwing won't start I_icon_minitimeby cello33 Fri Apr 12, 2024 6:35 pm

» Fork specs, please help before 9/4/2024
2009 Silverwing won't start I_icon_minitimeby Anders L Thu Apr 11, 2024 9:58 am

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

2009 Silverwing won't start

Go down 
+6
Murf
Dave Weller
bill tucker
oldwingguy
Cosmic_Jumper
2wheelgal
10 posters
AuthorMessage
2wheelgal
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 74
Registration date : 2016-08-20

2009 Silverwing won't start Empty
PostSubject: 2009 Silverwing won't start   2009 Silverwing won't start I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 21, 2017 10:54 am

Hello all of you Silverwing gurus.  It's been a while since I have posted on this board, but still read the board daily.  Lost a close family member, moved to another part of the US and just plain life happened. My Silverwing has been neglected for several months and now won't start.  I have had a battery tender on since the last time I rode, the battery is less than a year old.  When I turn the key on, I don't even have dash lights.  I have the left brake pulled in, kickstand up and nothing. I just  got a new battery tender, thinking the old one maybe bit the dust. it showed charging for just a bit and went to solid green, so the problem shouldn't be the battery.  I have a battery tester that has the lights on for the level of charge, the green light shows on that too.  I did notice when I have the key on, there is a sort of a buzzing/clicking sound near the back part of the storage area back behind the battery.  I checked the kill switch, it is not in the kill position. The terminals on the battery are good and tight, no corrosion on either post.  Have I forgotten to do something to start the scoot?  I know it is very different than the Goldwing I had before getting the Silverwing. Any help or suggestion would be greatly appreciated!!

And I forgot to add that I did turn the key on to the on position.
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

PostSubject: Re: 2009 Silverwing won't start   2009 Silverwing won't start I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 21, 2017 12:22 pm

So the battery is good, and it ran when you parked it. Presumably then all the switches, etc are functioning properly. The buzz, click you heard was the fuel pump. But still not cranking.

I would pull the left side panel to expose the ECU and fuse block wiring area. Find the big heavy wire leading from the battery to the (rubber covered) starter relay. Give the relay a whack with a screwdriver handle. If nothing happens after you whack the relay then you might try jumping the two relay terminals with a piece of heavy wire --like 12ga house wiring.

In doing that you are bypassing the relay and applying full battery voltage to the starter motor. If the starter motor doesn't crank over then the brushes in the starter motor may be stuck. If, IF, you can see the starter motor you might give it a good whack with a hammer handle to encourage it to free up.

Cranks but no start? Check the fuses and start looking for evidence of mice gnawing at the wire harness.

Good luck. Please let us know how you get on with this problem. We all benefit from shared knowledge.

Tim
Back to top Go down
oldwingguy
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 1936
Registration date : 2016-01-29

PostSubject: Re: 2009 Silverwing won't start   2009 Silverwing won't start I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 21, 2017 1:17 pm

Maybe ???? the kickstand switch is acting up, stuck ect. You have it up but the switch may not show that
Back to top Go down
2wheelgal
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: 2009 Silverwing won't start   2009 Silverwing won't start I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 21, 2017 3:55 pm

Thanks to all the for the quick replies! One question, if the kick stand switch is faulty, would that keep the dash lights from coming on if the key is in the on position? I know the scoot won't start with the kickstand down, but didn't think it disabled all the dash lights and headlight. I have absolutely nothing coming on, other than what must be the fuel pump from the buzzing sound under the seat, when I turn the key to the on position, kick stand up or down. It's just like I haven't turned the key to the on position. I have checked all the fuses in the two blocks under the seat, they all appear to be ok. My scoot was started and let run for a while over July 4th weekend and everything was fine then.
Back to top Go down
bill tucker
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
bill tucker

Number of posts : 37
Registration date : 2017-07-23

PostSubject: Re: 2009 Silverwing won't start   2009 Silverwing won't start I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 22, 2017 11:26 am

it sounds like its possibly a relay , when you turn the ignition switch it should go thru a relay, if fuses are good a relay might not be working , I don't have a wiring diagram for this bike but that's were I would start looking. hope you get it running. Bill
Back to top Go down
Dave Weller
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 85
Registration date : 2011-11-09

PostSubject: Re: 2009 Silverwing won't start   2009 Silverwing won't start I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 22, 2017 11:58 am

You do have to squeeze the left lever hard and listen for 2 clicks, click one is the brake light, click 2 is the starter contacts.
Back to top Go down
Murf
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Murf

Number of posts : 172
Registration date : 2017-04-19

PostSubject: Re: 2009 Silverwing won't start   2009 Silverwing won't start I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 22, 2017 2:38 pm

Dave, I have redone many an old barn find. Take every fuse out and re-seat them. Undo both battery cables and check for corrosion and reattach. Spray some electrical cleaner into the key hole.
Back to top Go down
lloyd193
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
lloyd193

Number of posts : 327
Registration date : 2017-05-13

PostSubject: Re: 2009 Silverwing won't start   2009 Silverwing won't start I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 22, 2017 3:54 pm

2wheelgal wrote:
Hello all of you Silverwing gurus.  It's been a while since I have posted on this board, but still read the board daily.  Lost a close family member, moved to another part of the US and just plain life happened. My Silverwing has been neglected for several months and now won't start.  I have had a battery tender on since the last time I rode, the battery is less than a year old.  When I turn the key on, I don't even have dash lights.  I have the left brake pulled in, kickstand up and nothing. I just  got a new battery tender, thinking the old one maybe bit the dust. it showed charging for just a bit and went to solid green, so the problem shouldn't be the battery.  I have a battery tester that has the lights on for the level of charge, the green light shows on that too.  I did notice when I have the key on, there is a sort of a buzzing/clicking sound near the back part of the storage area back behind the battery.  I checked the kill switch, it is not in the kill position. The terminals on the battery are good and tight, no corrosion on either post.  Have I forgotten to do something to start the scoot?  I know it is very different than the Goldwing I had before getting the Silverwing. Any help or suggestion would be greatly appreciated!!

And I forgot to add that I did turn the key on to the on position.

Use a jumper cables to your auto battery-Scooter battery, If it starts, Buy a new battery. Happy motoring Lloyd193. swing
Back to top Go down
2wheelgal
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: 2009 Silverwing won't start   2009 Silverwing won't start I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 22, 2017 4:00 pm

Hello Again,

I decided this morning to just take my Swing to my Honda dealer. They checked things over, and determined that the battery was indeed bad. Put a new battery in and the Swing started right up. So glad it wasn't something more serious! I really appreciate all the helpful suggestions and will save them for the future. It is so nice that there are so many on this forum that are willing to help others out when help is needed!! Now, it's time to go for a ride!!
Back to top Go down
HORNBLOWER
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 171
Registration date : 2013-10-08

PostSubject: Re: 2009 Silverwing won't start   2009 Silverwing won't start I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 23, 2017 2:31 am

Personally I hate battery tenders and had several battery's destroyed before I stopped leaving them plugged in for long periods. If I leave any of my bikes for any length of time I charge them with the battery tender and then disconnect a battery lead then put the tender on every couple of months.
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4174
Registration date : 2010-11-16

PostSubject: Re: 2009 Silverwing won't start   2009 Silverwing won't start I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 23, 2017 4:13 am

Horses for courses mate, my OE Yuasa battery is coming up to seven years old and still shows full charge and is nearly always plugged into my Optimate. The OE Yuasa battery on my Helix was was almost eight years old when I sold the scooter, it too was plugged into an Optimate when not in use. I used an Optimate with the Majesty and a couple of Burgmans I owned afterwards too.

Last year I bought a replacement Motobatt battery and a Motobatt charger as I thought the Silver Wing's battery may on the way out, as I was getting the odd red light from the Optimate for a week or two. It stopped, the Yuasa is still going strong, shows a green light on the Optimate, or when connected to my battery tester, and the Silver Wing fires up first press of the button.

A few years ago moving house, family gatherings, and a long holiday meant leaving the Silver Wing in temporary storage for six weeks without a power supply. When I went to collect it I expected a weak battery and came equipped with an extension lead and my Optimate. I didn't need them, the Silver Wing fired up first press of the button.
Back to top Go down
cotetoi
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Number of posts : 757
Registration date : 2013-06-27

PostSubject: Re: 2009 Silverwing won't start   2009 Silverwing won't start I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 23, 2017 9:36 am

The battery is the weakest link !!!! I had similar problems and had the battery tested before I did anything else: it tested charged but drained instantly under load. Now I have to check out my two beasts after their 4 week sleep while I was away.
Jay.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 2009 Silverwing won't start   2009 Silverwing won't start I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

2009 Silverwing won't start
Page 1 of 1