Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

Hi, I am opening this site back up for new members. I closed it due to a few members complaining. Please just accept the site for what it is. The site is 'what it is'. We hope you enjoy the site. Please also join www.maxi-scoots.com
 
HomeCalendarGalleryFAQSearchRegisterLog in
Search
 
 

Display results as :
 
Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» New to scooters trying to decide which one
by gg194 Today at 5:24 pm

» 2013 Silverwing ABS FOR SALE
by cube Yesterday at 2:02 pm

» Tool to hold cam chain tensioner?
by john grinsel Yesterday at 1:16 pm

» Thinking again--next new bike
by john grinsel Mon Oct 15, 2018 6:36 am

» Hi from a New York Snow Bird
by cube Sun Oct 14, 2018 9:31 pm

» Modern gas in US
by bikehiker Sun Oct 14, 2018 1:35 pm

» Baptism a la natural
by bikehiker Sun Oct 14, 2018 1:14 pm

» Reg/Rec: 2002 location
by Mech 1 twa Sat Oct 13, 2018 8:39 pm

» What did you do to your SW today.
by arcamedies Sat Oct 13, 2018 6:06 pm

» Deno Introduction
by steve_h80 Sat Oct 13, 2018 2:52 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 Profile
 FAQ
 Search
free forum
 
Share | 
 

 What does ABS mean

Go down 
AuthorMessage
biker
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider


Number of posts : 26
Age : 65
Location : Japan
Points : 460
Registration date : 2017-08-18

PostSubject: What does ABS mean   Sat Aug 19, 2017 7:59 pm

Not familiar with the meaning of ABS?
What is it or what does it mean?


Thanks guys

George
Back to top Go down
dekare
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
avatar

Number of posts : 107
Location : MN
Points : 916
Registration date : 2016-08-09

PostSubject: Re: What does ABS mean   Sat Aug 19, 2017 9:34 pm

Taking a stab...advanced braking system.
Back to top Go down
dekare
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
avatar

Number of posts : 107
Location : MN
Points : 916
Registration date : 2016-08-09

PostSubject: Re: What does ABS mean   Sat Aug 19, 2017 9:35 pm

Or probably, anti lock braking system.
Back to top Go down
cliffyk
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
avatar

Number of posts : 181
Age : 72
Location : Saint Augustine FL
Points : 1084
Registration date : 2016-05-15

PostSubject: Re: What does ABS mean   Sat Aug 19, 2017 10:43 pm

Anti-lock Braking System. A computer monitors the wheel speeds and when it senses one is about to lock up it rapidly releases and re-applies the brakes to prevent same. It's an automated "pumping" of the brake, at a much higher rate than a human could maintain.

Almost all 4-wheel vehicles have it now as standard equipment. It can help inexperienced drivers perform more stable, straight, quick ("panic") stops. It is also beneficial for the rest of us as there are far too many "experienced" drivers that don't really know how to drive.

The best thing though is to not get yourself into situations that might require "panic" stops, even if you have ABS; and to train yourself to not panic when the ''  it' is hitting the fan" (good general advice for what most of life will throw at you)...
Back to top Go down
biker
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider


Number of posts : 26
Age : 65
Location : Japan
Points : 460
Registration date : 2017-08-18

PostSubject: Re: What does ABS mean   Sat Aug 19, 2017 10:58 pm

Hey guys, thanks.

I actually thought it may have something to do with what we call ETC. Its when you get on a toll road, you use your card or maybe not even a card these days and it takes money out of you bank account. Toll fee that is.
Back to top Go down
dekare
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
avatar

Number of posts : 107
Location : MN
Points : 916
Registration date : 2016-08-09

PostSubject: Re: What does ABS mean   Sun Aug 20, 2017 8:36 am

biker wrote:
Hey guys, thanks.

I actually thought it may have something to do with what we call ETC. Its when you get on a toll road, you use your card or maybe not even a card these days and it takes money out of you bank account. Toll fee that is.

No thanks. Got enough suction sounds coming out of my wallet! Wink
Back to top Go down
biker
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider


Number of posts : 26
Age : 65
Location : Japan
Points : 460
Registration date : 2017-08-18

PostSubject: Re: What does ABS mean   Sun Aug 20, 2017 9:32 am

dekare wrote:
biker wrote:
Hey guys, thanks.

I actually thought it may have something to do with what we call ETC. Its when you get on a toll road, you use your card or maybe not even a card these days and it takes money out of you bank account. Toll fee that is.

No thanks. Got enough suction sounds coming out of my wallet! Wink

So you guys in America still have to pay in cash. Wow!
Back to top Go down
steve_h80
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider


Number of posts : 458
Location : Teesdale, UK
Points : 1416
Registration date : 2016-05-15

PostSubject: Re: What does ABS mean   Sun Aug 20, 2017 1:44 pm

Ha, the way the economy is going over here we'll be back to barter soon :-)
Back to top Go down
cliffyk
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
avatar

Number of posts : 181
Age : 72
Location : Saint Augustine FL
Points : 1084
Registration date : 2016-05-15

PostSubject: Re: What does ABS mean   Sun Aug 20, 2017 4:32 pm

biker wrote:
dekare wrote:
biker wrote:
Hey guys, thanks.

I actually thought it may have something to do with what we call ETC. Its when you get on a toll road, you use your card or maybe not even a card these days and it takes money out of you bank account. Toll fee that is.

No thanks. Got enough suction sounds coming out of my wallet! Wink

So you guys in America still have to pay in cash.  Wow!

I don't use toll roads; here in Florida toll roads are fundamentally for the tourists--locals avoid/don't use them. There are not all that many anyway...
Back to top Go down
 
What does ABS mean
Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum :: General :: General Chat-
Jump to: